ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Murphy did detect something but decided to ignore it. As said previously, the house was known as a party house and various people came and went often. This may have brought Murphy’s guard down when encountering new people. Seeing new people is normal to him.

JMO
Someone entering in the dark of night is another thing. Dogs change demeanour in different situations.

However, the dog holds some pretty interesting aspects to the crime even though we know little about the dog or its environment.

If the perpetrator is known to the dog, the dog may not have gotten up. #murphy #dog

It appears, the dog did not enter the crime scene imoo

It occurred to me that LE is downplaying the pups role in this for whatever reason. It could be Murphy was loose and covered in blood. Victims and perps...maybe LE wants the perp to think they didn't find anything on him to tie him to the crime. Murphy may have been a quiet shy guy and didn't raise a stink when the murders were happening, but I can guarantee after 8 or so hours in a crate or closed off room, he would have smelled the blood and would instinctively be going nuts to find the source. JMO
If your starting assumption is that law enforcement lies to the public about random details, then everything is pointless. You could never trust any information whatsoever.

I am shocked by that. I am shocked they don't have cameras. I am familiar w/ several at other schools and EVERYTHING has cameras except rooms.
I am not shocked that they don't have cameras. You have a home where parties are held and there could be activities that are illegal (underage drinking for example).

Although psychopathy isn’t classified in the DSM-5, a characteristic shared by psychopaths is that they have some form of personality disorder (formally diagnosed or otherwise). So, in essence, a psychopath would be mentally ill.
Edited for typo
Thank you for this clarification. Mentally ill, but for judicial purposes, not necessarily insane? I think?

I am still struggling with:
The other two in the house did not hear bloody murder screams. I have heard screams of a person being raped outside quite a bit from the house. We raced out to help. My mother screamed and screamed when an intruder entered her bedroom. Both will haunt me. And then the dead students A bizzare sequence of events with that phone call and calling friends to the house prior to calling 911. Something does not add up. Especially as it appears that the 911 call was made on a surviving students phone but Police won’t say who called. Odd that you would borrow a phone to call 911.

Many, many, people have shared similar thoughts throughout these threads, and you're not the first to say they were 'highly skilled' at using a knife. Respectfully, I don't understand this logic. What skill?

Well, that's an interesting question. I personally don't think it took a lot of skill (just the right adrenalized state of mind). Or strength. But I can see how some would think otherwise (especially with skill).

If a person started stabbing on the sternum, that's a bad choice that would have awakened the terrified victim but probably not incapacitated them immediately. Now, I'm hearing (here on WS, with links) that early reports said "abdomen and torso."

Hmm. Those are easy places to stab. Says to me less pre-planning. Makes me wonder a lot about the blood stains on the outside of the house (did the DM fake those? wouldn't be the first time - maybe just juxtaposing a file picture with this crime).

A mattress is going to soak up a lot of blood, but a person who falls to the floor to attempt to escape with their last breath, yeah, then I can see blood pooling and, I guess, going down the outside of the foundation.

Abdomen takes less strength and NO skill. Almost a feeling of non-resistance, could be accomplished in a dream like state.

Here, though, we have four victims - all killed more or less the same way? All through upper torso/abdomen?

Frankly, stabbing in the abdomen is a terrible thing to do to someone, as it would take longer to die. Does "upper torso" mean "heart" or "arteries to the heart"? We don't know yet. LE knows this.

Bottom line for me is still, what type of person even does this? If they are not well acquainted with human anatomy (a large number of people) then it's just "doing whatever they feel" at the time. But if they wanted a quick kill, abdomen is not the way to go for a person with basic knowledge of human anatomy. Upper torso includes heart and lungs - but lungs by themselves don't cause instant death. Almost sounds like "learning by doing," and, yes, sloppiness. Not a well thought-out type of kill. A very deranged type of kill.

Yah it's definitely a big hunter area. Idaho is on the west coast next to California, but it along with Northern California are more akin culturally to the southern rural areas of the US. A lot of of country folks who hunt, fish etc.
I don't understand this geography. Idaho is on the west coast next to California. What am I missing?

Perhaps, but if the glass wasn't broke on the sliding glass door, one would assume it was unlocked and easily opened.

Do we know that no one opened it for the killer? What if he/she was a regular there and knocked on the door and someone just let him in? Didn't they say at some point that there wasn't any sign of forced entry?

I don’t know…I tend to agree that with the victims being asleep and possibly inebriated, the element of surprise and a very big, sharp knife, would give even a weak man or a female the upper hand as the perp. Is it really that difficult to fatally stab someone? Just thinking about me accidentally slicing my finger, I think a watermelon is harder to cut into. Entirely
The shock of being stabbed I'm sure a lot of people myself included would probably just either faint or play dead if stabbed in this manner. Fight or flight aren't the only options because giving up is another option in the fight or flight system. Could be an explanation of why the victims didn't make enough noise to alert sleeping roommates on the first floor.
IMO. Yes. It was a quiet and quick killing.

Although psychopathy isn’t classified in the DSM-5, a characteristic shared by psychopaths is that they have some form of personality disorder (formally diagnosed or otherwise). So, in essence, a psychopath would be mentally ill.
Edited for typo

There are a lot of things in the DSM that aren't actually formally mental illnesses. There's big debate in the forensic psychiatry community about whether or not antisocial personality disorder should even be included in the DSM. Most criminals are not mentally ill. Some criminals have a mental illness (such as anxiety or depression), but the mental illness does not make them commit the crime. Sometimes, criminality is criminality.

Moscow Homicide Update
December 6, 2022

MOSCOW, Idaho – The Moscow Police Department is providing the following information to update the public on the known facts surrounding the four murders that occurred on November 13th in Moscow, Idaho.

Updated Information:

• Starting Wednesday morning, December 7, 2022, and potentially into Thursday, Moscow Police Chief James Fry, along with members of the department, will collect and remove some of the victims’ personal belongings from the residence, which are no longer needed for the investigation, so that they can be returned to the families. The items will be loaded into a truck and transferred to a secure location until the families can collect the belongings. These arrangements were made in coordination with the families.

Anyone near the residence Wednesday morning is asked to keep roads clear. Movement of the items will be done as privately as possible in an effort to maintain respect for the victims and their families. We ask members of the media and community to be respectful of this process.

The house remains an active crime scene, and progress continues to be made in the investigation.

Moscow Police and investigative partners continue to work with the victim’s families on the investigation and ongoing developments.

A video interview for media use and public viewing with Moscow Police Chief James Fry is available on the Moscow Police Department YouTube page. Chief Fry explains why the investigative team wanted to handle the delicate and sensitive handling of the victim’s close possessions.

• Detectives continue processing and working through more than 2,645 emailed tips, 2,770 phone tips, and 1,084 digital media submissions. We believe someone has information that will add context to the picture investigators are creating of what occurred that evening. Our focus is the investigation, not the activities. Your information, whether you believe it is significant or not, might be one of the puzzle pieces that help solve these murders.

• TIPS: Detectives are looking for context to the events and people involved in these murders. To assist with the ongoing investigation, any odd or out-of-the-ordinary events that took place should be reported. Our focus is the investigation, not the activities. Your information, whether you believe it is significant or not, might be the piece of the puzzle that helps investigators solve these murders. Information can be submitted:
o Tip Line: 208-883-7180
o Email: tipline@ci.moscow.id.us
o Digital Media: fbi.gov/moscowidaho

• At this time, no suspect has been identified and only vetted information that does not hinder the investigation will be released to the public. There is speculation, without factual backing, stoking community fears and spreading false information. We encourage referencing official releases for accurate information and updated progress.

• All Press Releases and information related to this case are available:

###

#MoscowPolice

I know there have been a lot of theories that mention the skill set of the murder. Were they experienced, were they sloppy and careless. To be honest to go into a house and murder four people, two each on two separate floors, not wake up the others in the house and escape into the darkness without a sight would seem to suggest that there was some kind of experience involved. But, what if the murder just got lucky, what if everything just fell into place that enabled them to be able do what they did? Is it possible this was a first timer who had, for lack of a better term, beginners luck and might that emblazon them to do this again?

I didnt mean share a border. I said it's out next to it. Like in the general area. And yes northern california is full of rednecks just like southern united states.

Just like the South is right next to New Jersey and New York.

There are conservatives in California, if that's what you mean. And lumberjacks. And fisherman. But there's an almost uninhabited wild region separating us from Nevada and therefore, from Idaho - completely different regional vibe from any of the coastal states (and totally different economy, migration patterns, etc).

If you mean that one county (out of 58 in California), which sort of touches Idaho, it has a population of about 8-9000 people. And different demographics than Idaho, especially in terms of migration. Also, no universities in that region - too sparsely populated.

Moscow Idaho is about 600 miles away from the closest CA county (which has almost no people and they certainly are not rednecks).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MildredVeraHolmes