ID - 4 University of Idaho Students Murdered - Moscow # 23

Status
Not open for further replies.
AFAIK, not Bundy until his last acts of murder. Perhaps he was going for some kind of record? But Bundy did not commit multiple mass killings.

Technically speaking, BTK has one mass murder and is a serial killer. He did not do mass serial killing (only one of his crime scenes had 3 or more dead). But yes, he could be in parallel to our killer in this case - if it is discovered he is also a serial killer.

If he becomes a mass serial killer (always killing 3 or more), that would be terrifying and completely new. Somehow, given the (so far) lack of signatures on this one crime, I'll just go with mass murder.

IOW, a person can be both. Hopefully, no one is ever going to be classified as a serial mass murdered (a serial killer who always kills 3 or more people at a time - although...with gang involvement, if we could ever pin such things down to singular perps, it wouldn't be as surprising).
Thank you!

Many, many, people have shared similar thoughts throughout these threads, and you're not the first to say they were 'highly skilled' at using a knife. Respectfully, I don't understand this logic. What skill?
I'm not sure that I understand it, either. In fact, I think LE (iirc) called the crime scene sloppy.

Why not use a gun with a silencer?

#1122 #king #moscow

IME, hunters don't usually have silencers (are they even legal for hunting?)

So your question is more like "Why not use a gun?" This is a question that would take pages and pages to compare gun vs knife violence. First thing comes to mind: knives are more quiet. Also, no ballistics, no shell casings to gather. Knives are easier - could be almost no record of purchase, and are unlikely to be reported stolen.

But the mentalities of gun- vs knife-killers is worth a look as well. Some killers have used more than one method (BTK).

Don't assume this was a rational choice, would be my other response.

I tend to think the opposite is true. I believe the killer is psychopathic and, therefore, not mentally ill at all and in fact, enjoyed it. I think he was either slighted, disrespected or angered by 1 of the 4 at some point in the past and couldn't let go of this grudge. But who knows?

I agree with this take.

IME, hunters don't usually have silencers (are they even legal for hunting?)

So your question is more like "Why not use a gun?" This is a question that would take pages and pages to compare gun vs knife violence. First thing comes to mind: knives are more quiet. Also, no ballistics, no shell casings to gather. Knives are easier - could be almost no record of purchase, and are unlikely to be reported stolen.

But the mentalities of gun- vs knife-killers is worth a look as well. Some killers have used more than one method (BTK).

Don't assume this was a rational choice, would be my other response.
If you're motivated enough to kill 4 people and aren't set on using a knife, you can literally google how to make your own illegal silencer. The guy wanted to kill with a knife, of that I'm personally fairly sure.

Thanks ... I thought it was something like that. If the patio door was broken and it was not reported to the landlord, I'm not convinced that the landlord is liable. There's probably a clause in the rental agreement specifying that issues with electrical, plumbing, faulty locks, etc. must be immediately reported to the landlord. If the tenants broke the lock because they couldn't get in, they may not have reported that it was damaged.
The property management firm and landlord would likely have a duty to do regular inspections of the property.

LE has never confirmed a call from X to her dad. It's a statement he made in an interview and there wasn't clarity provided on the nature of the "call" (who called who, was it a voice call or a text, etc.). I'm sure LE knows the details but they have not been released.
Yes, but this entire time it was thought they were home by 9pm-ish and there was that time gap where they were that we've been non-stop discussing (9pm onward). And yes, dad confirmed midnight call.

I remember wondering at the start of this why a midnight call? Maybe something distressing happened. However many on the thread said it was normal for kids to call parents that late if night-owls. My parents are night-owls but I still always have done my calls before 10pm out of courtesy lol, so I still kinda wonder about that call to dad. Could be nothing or something, MOO

Ok I'll try again without breaking rules, sorry.

So since i started following this case, there have been so many questions about the dog, Murphy.

Key ones, imo:
  • Why was the dog not harmed
  • Why did the dog not bark
Both can be answered, imo, by the killer being a dog lover and owner.
It occurred to me that LE is downplaying the pups role in this for whatever reason. It could be Murphy was loose and covered in blood. Victims and perps...maybe LE wants the perp to think they didn't find anything on him to tie him to the crime. Murphy may have been a quiet shy guy and didn't raise a stink when the murders were happening, but I can guarantee after 8 or so hours in a crate or closed off room, he would have smelled the blood and would instinctively be going nuts to find the source. JMO

Honestly, I assume X isn't the only college student to have lied about her evening activities at some point. I don't know where she was, but I haven't seen proof offered from LE that she was home watching a movie either.
I think the movie was a speculation and/or what X's dad said they were doing that night in the phone call.

But the timeline that was discussed ad nauseam during these 22 threads was that time gap from 9pm onward for X and E... maybe some people thought they went back home, cozy in the room having snacks and watch a movie. Maybe is was a miscommunication and the movie was before the frat party or even no movie at all JMO, MOO

I don't believe that Google has any type of internal monitoring process so that they would automatically blur an incident's address. I could be wrong though.
But we have had plenty cases where LE or FBI will do a "scrub" of online identifiers. So they do the requesting.
Quite possible that's what occured in the case you are referencing/
You are probably correct. Now that I think about it, Google couldn't possibly keep up with all the high profile cases world wide. It is very likely that LE or a public servant somewhere asked for the location to be blurred. The address is still blurred even after the house has been razed.

I tend to think the opposite is true. I believe the killer is psychopathic and, therefore, not mentally ill at all and in fact, enjoyed it. I think he was either slighted, disrespected or angered by 1 of the 4 at some point in the past and couldn't let go of this grudge. But who knows?
Although psychopathy isn’t classified in the DSM-5, a characteristic shared by psychopaths is that they have some form of personality disorder (formally diagnosed or otherwise). So, in essence, a psychopath could potentially have some form of mentally ill.
Edited for typo & better wording

Last edited:
AFAIK, not Bundy until his last acts of murder. Perhaps he was going for some kind of record? But Bundy did not commit multiple mass killings.

Technically speaking, BTK has one mass murder and is a serial killer. He did not do mass serial killing (only one of his crime scenes had 3 or more dead). But yes, he could be in parallel to our killer in this case - if it is discovered he is also a serial killer.

If he becomes a mass serial killer (always killing 3 or more), that would be terrifying and completely new. Somehow, given the (so far) lack of signatures on this one crime, I'll just go with mass murder.

IOW, a person can be both. Hopefully, no one is ever going to be classified as a serial mass murdered (a serial killer who always kills 3 or more people at a time - although...with gang involvement, if we could ever pin such things down to singular perps, it wouldn't be as surprising).
I have long thought that there needs to be a new label for all these freaks. For example, if a serial killer gets caught after the first crime, not technically a serial killer. But definitely would have reoffended if given the chance. The traits and motivations are virtually the same. Some more (warped) sexually motivated, I guess. Zodiac never did any SA's, but there still could be a sexual component. But they all seem the same to me.

Maybe Thrill Killer could fit?

All MOO, because the factual things have been linked a million times already and I'm lazy:

1. No, the calls made by K&M were not urgent - they were spread out over half an hour, not 2 minutes. No calls to 991. Family says she often called several times until you picked up.

2. Target - honestly, it might have been any of them, as the information we have is so limited and so conflicting. The locations make me more sus about 3rd floor victims, the timeline about the 2nd floor victims. And a lot connects M&X. Yet, dad hints at K. I personally also still think there was an obvious reason why the PD came out with the target talk right at the start (other than calming people), like one of the kids having a different and graphic outcome, such as being decapitated, mutilated or posed.

3. K&M were super similar - I just don't see that. While some people have stated that, to me, that's a hard no. Sure, they both had bleached blonde hair colour and they both had a very noticeable tan, but that's all. The height, weight, hair shape and facial features are not even remotely similar to me. Anyone who had any an idea who they're going to kill would not mistake one for the other, not even in a dark room when they're fast asleep.

4. Gaps on X&E timeline - being the captain obvious here, but they are a couple. That has been partying that night. It is possible, that some part of that gap is just them being alone to chat about the day, have sex, or get some peace and quiet. I have the impression from social media (inc the tiktok impressions of roommates) that X was somewhat more responsible and a small-crowd person than some others in the house. At the same time, it is very possible that these gaps hide something important, too.

5. Current impression: I still think it was emotional, it was someone at least one of them knew, and it was somewhat planned, but probably not carefully planned. For all we know, any of them might have an ex who kept building up anger for years without them being any the wiser. People can keep that sort of anger for decades, so a pre-college relationship going awry is not impossible. Similarly, the stalker angle and someone being pissed for any reason make sense to me. I don't really see it as a thrill kill and I don't think this sort of a thing would be very likely for a thrill killers first attack - too risky, they'd have more time to plan etc.
I agree. IMO, this could have been a disagreement/falling out/diss/rejection leading back from a month before the murders to 2-3 years ago.

I have long thought that there needs to be a new label for all these freaks. For example, if a serial killer gets caught after the first crime, not technically a serial killer. But definitely would have reoffended if given the chance. The traits and motivations are virtually the same. Some more (warped) sexually motivated, I guess. Zodiac never did any SA's, but there still could be a sexual component. But they all seem the same to me.

Maybe Thrill Killer could fit?
Z was a thrill-ambush-retribution killer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members