TN - Shooting at private Christian Covenant School, Nashville, suspect dead, multiple victims, 27 Mar 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if it is appropriate to discuss school shootings with elementary school students or not. Maybe if they bring it up.

Although, when I was in elementary school, we had "nuclear bomb" drills. As if that isn't mentally disturbing, I don't know what is...
My kids have all had active shooter drills since elementary school (so sad) and are now in middle school and high school and still have frequent active shooter drills. Parents are notified every time. It's been going on for at least a decade. I'm in NJ.

Edited to add - and my kids and their peers have also discussed school shootings since they were in elementary school. My kids all know about them, discuss them, and are heartbroken and anxious about them. It's tragic.

From the writings that LE found at the killer's home, it looks like Hale targeted another location as well, but decided against it due to the security at that location. So Hale targeted the more vulnerable Covenant School. These victims were targeted.

Yes. I heard that as well. Targeted for some reason or the other. Maybe gender/identity had nothing to do with this Christian school or the other target.

My kids have all had active shooter drills since elementary school (so sad) and are now in middle school and high school and still have frequent active shooter drills. Parents are notified every time. It's been going on for at least a decade. I'm in NJ.

Have you ever actually had a conversation with your children about a school shooting? That is what I mean. Should this be a conversation at home with kids?

Interesting that LE quickly found a manifesto, physical maps, etc. in the home the shooter shared with her family. It could not have been all that hidden if they found it within hours, right?

Seemingly the police and FBI caused two explosions to breach the doors and get into the house, then another one minutes later, raising neighbours to come from over a block away, due to the noise and vibrations.

Maybe the third explosion was a safe being breached?

CNN is saying that there is a manifesto.

My heart aches for the shooter’s family, as well.
To me, that right there.

How do you get the world to pay attention to your "manifesto"?

Not by committing suicide. Not even by killing your parents.

I hope they don't publish it.

JMO

I wonder if it is appropriate to discuss school shootings with elementary school students or not. Maybe if they bring it up.

Although, when I was in elementary school, we had "nuclear bomb" drills. As if that isn't mentally disturbing, I don't know what is...
I remember the bomb drills.

But I don’t remember going to school and wondering “is today the day I will die here?”

That’s where our kids are at now.

Have you ever actually had a conversation with your children about a school shooting? That is what I mean. Should this be a conversation at home with kids?
IMO, absolutely. I’ve had conversations with my elementary aged kids. I had a kindergartner and a second grader when Sandy Hook happened and we talked a lot about what they should do, how to be silent, listen to their teacher’s instructions, It was startling how non eventful it was to them. Just another thing they did at school, after the math test and before lunch.

There was another location that was mentioned but because of a threat assessment by the suspect, too much security, they decided not to,' he said.

Sandy Durham, a neighbor of Hale's who said she had known her 'since she was a baby' was shocked and said there were no warning signs that this could happen.

'Never. She was very sweet. I don't know what happened. It's very scary,' Durham told The Daily Beast.

Sean Brashears, a next door neighbor, said he used to play basketball with Hale in his driveway and said she was a 'normal, nice person. Maybe a little quiet.'

'If I had to imagine, Audrey's parents are probably just as shocked as everybody in the neighborhood is…It just doesn't seem real,' he told The Daily Beast.

He added that, knowing the Hale family, it doesn't seem like Audrey would have ever even been influenced by gun culture.

'There's nothing that would have led me to believe that she was capable of such a thing or that she or anybody in that family would have access to, much less ever used, a gun.'

'They just don't seem like the family that, like, is around guns. They're not talking about going to a gun range or they're not going hunting.'
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that LE quickly found a manifesto, physical maps, etc. in the home the shooter shared with her family. It could not have been all that hidden if they found it within hours, right?

Agree.

There are few types of killers that disgust me more than shooters with "manifestos". To me, this shows a person who is obsessed with themselves, slights against them... and generally target a place that gives them the biggest bang for their buck. Like vulnerable children.

I understand the majority are extremely disturbed...but I have a difficult time even attempting to understand them. Imho

There was another location that was mentioned but because of a threat assessment by the suspect, too much security, they decided not to,' he said.

Sandy Durham, a neighbor of Hale's who said she had known her 'since she was a baby' was shocked and said there were no warning signs that this could happen.

'Never. She was very sweet. I don't know what happened. It's very scary,' Durham told The Daily Beast.

Sean Brashears, a next door neighbor, said he used to play basketball with Hale in his driveway and said she was a 'normal, nice person. Maybe a little quiet.'

'If I had to imagine, Audrey's parents are probably just as shocked as everybody in the neighborhood is…It just doesn't seem real,' he told The Daily Beast.

He added that, knowing the Hale family, it doesn't seem like Audrey would have ever even been influenced by gun culture.

'There's nothing that would have led me to believe that she was capable of such a thing or that she or anybody in that family would have access to, much less ever used, a gun.'

'They just don't seem like the family that, like, is around guns. They're not talking about going to a gun range or they're not going hunting.'

<modsnip>
IMO, it's what and where she was online that most mattered.

JMO

I don't think she shot indiscriminately, per se. I imagine it rather differently but it's too grim to discuss.

I suspect the adults were targeted, though. We should learn more soon enough.

IMO.
My thoughts originally were targeted staff as well. I am curious how long the Head lady was there. If she didn't know how to handle such a powerful weapon, it is possible some were hit unintentionally. IMO

IMO, absolutely. I’ve had conversations with my elementary aged kids. I had a kindergartner and a second grader when Sandy Hook happened and we talked a lot about what they should do, how to be silent, listen to their teacher’s instructions, It was startling how non eventful it was to them. Just another thing they did at school, after the math test and before lunch.
Agree. My older kids were Columbine Era kids. We discussed these issues at home over 20 years ago.

I was a nuclear bomb kid, too, Mickey. The nuns did weekly drills with us. I was not phased in the least. I'm sure other children were. Imho

Ugh.

My kids were about the same ages as yours. No fear, just matter of fact, this is what we do. It’s depressing. Moo

I don't know. Perhaps if there were many cases of wannabe shooters trying to get into schools and setting off alarms, getting caught before they get inside. Then I could believe the cases like this were rare instances of someone getting past barriers because of human error.

IMO, there's more care taken to protect ourselves from thieves, than to protect children from this clearly trending wave of school shooters. IMO, individuals, mall owners, museums, banks, don't waste energy wringing their hands about how to cure humans of this terrible prediliction to steal things, they just get on with protecting themselves.

JMO

Yeah, I know I agree with you but I also just know how people are, they make mistakes.

Agree.

There are few types of killers that disgust me more than shooters with "manifestos". To me, this shows a person who is obsessed with themselves, slights against them... and generally target a place that gives them the biggest bang for their buck. Like vulnerable children.

I understand the majority are extremely disturbed...but I have a difficult time even attempting to understand them. Imho

I think radicalization is a complex process, and self-radicalization is perhaps quite rampant these days. There aren't a whole lot of manifesto writers to study, which makes it more difficult. They tend to be loners. Kind of the opposite of people who join cults, but perhaps with similar personality issues, but it is definitely beyond our scope here to do that kind of theorizing.

I await the manifesto, I hope we get to see/read it. At least I hope it's available somewhere.

IMO.

Audrey Hale gained entry to the school by shooting out a door lock. How do buildings even start to protect themselves from this?

<modsnip: nothing to suggest mental illness>

Agree. My older kids were Columbine Era kids. We discussed these issues at home over 20 years ago.

I was a nuclear bomb kid, too, Mickey. The nuns did weekly drills with us. I was not phased in the least. I'm sure other children were. Imho

Ugh.
My kids were Columbine. I couldn’t talk to them enough about their safety at school.
I was a Miami kid growing up with the Cuban Missile Crisis. The nuns had us hiding under desks and the neighbors were building bomb shelters! We thought it was great fun! The good ol days! :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiRi224