4 Univ of Idaho Students Murdered, Bryan Kohberger Arrested, Moscow, Nov 2022 #82

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't know what Strava was:

Strava lets you track your running and riding with GPS, join Challenges, share photos from your activities, and follow friends

Much of what Strava offers is about the analysis of your performance and importantly, keeping track of your training. The social aspects of Strava really hang off your activities, but in short, it's a tool for those who exercise.

I have running friends whose workouts I can watch from the Strava app, basically tracking them as they go. I'd not be at all surprised if he used it for his workouts as it's quite popular, but could he also have been following one or more victims to see their routes as well?

ATT shows dates June 23 - Aug 1 2022 for two unknown numbers. MOO
Google is interesting too (dates and number of accounts).
Snapchat Victims (June to August again)

ETA google and snapchat
June 23rd is the date BK opened his account with AT&T, as per PCA. I've just had a glance through and many of these latest releases have a date span June 23-August 2nd.

According to Dateline BK's mail is rerouted to his attorney. This means the attorney decides what to send over to the jail. Once at the jail all inmate's letters are searched.

The jail is not going to do this twice. Search his mail then send to attorney then attorney sends mail back so the jail would have to search it again.

Point is, you could be right in that there could be things of a sensitive nature that the attorneys do not want jail staff to see. Normally this is death threats which the attorneys screen for, and it justifies the attorneys wanting his mail rerouted to them,
but I have a hunch they are looking for anything incriminating.

A person who knows him writing him and saying incriminating statements about him.

Just a thought.

Interesting points. Which is why, if I were the Chief, I'd have the mail sent to the jail, and *then* to the attorney, then to BK.

IMO.

Apologies if this has been discussed and I've missed it. What do we know about this Snapchat warrant? It's interesting that it is only covering information from the four victims plus two other housemates, and only for a very narrow window of time (June 23-August 1, 2022).
I'd say looking for if any of them had any online contact with BK (under a snap chat screen name?). Only because June 23rd is the date that BK opened his phone account with AT&T. I think that perhaps the forensic analysis of BK's phone has been the catylyst for this next lot of warrants. I'd think they are connected with potential evidence of his following the victims/some of the victims online in some way. Or seeing if he knew of any of them prior to arriving in WA. MOO

I'd say looking for if any of them had any online contact with BK (under a snap chat screen name?). Only because June 23rd is the date that BK opened his phone account with AT&T. I think that perhaps the forensic analysis of BK's phone has been the catylyst for this next lot of warrants. I'd think they are connected with potential evidence of his following the victims/some of the victims online in some way. Or seeing if he knew of any of them prior to arriving in WA. MOO

January 1st 2021 - to present
1685658621280.png
1685658649819.png

Last edited:
I know I'm filling in the blanks with speculations, but these warrants make this case even creepier than before. Jmo.
These warrants are positive news for this case though, IMO. I think they indicate that forensic analysis of BK's phone and other devices (laptop/tablet?) have produced digital evidence that he knew who the victims were (or at least some of the victims). I think they are following up on that evidence. The June 23rd date is new. MOO

June 23rd is the date BK opened his account with AT&T, as per PCA. I've just had a glance through and many of these latest releases have a date span June 23-August 2nd.
I noted that, as well. Are there warrants for his old phone account, as well? I know some warrants go back to 2021.

Very early on, it bothered me that he got a new phone number. I know people do this every day, for valid and non-nefarious reasons, but I still had to consider that BK's reasons were not so innocent. Again, speculation where perhaps it isn't needed.

We don't know exactly when he moved to Pullman, AFAIK, but it seems it wasn't in June. Either he signed up online, or during a visit. But I wonder why he wanted a local number specifically.

Last edited:
Lots of scope with the information sought, including users who were unfollowed or blocked.
Yup!

Goes far back, January 1st 2021

So when you say:

"...seeing if he knew of any of them prior to arriving in WA."

 They are definitely trying to see if this is a possibility. Could this be the reason he chose WSU?
How convenient to attend College in one State while at the same time stalking women in another State who also attend a different College. Puts some distance between them, less suspicious.

Or he chose WSU first because he got a TA job and could waive out of State tuition etc...But then he could have started looking online for young women in that area. Could have had it planned out before he went out there.

He was in Moscow the same month he moved into his apartment.

2 Cents

I noted that, as well. Are their warrants for his old phone account, as well? I know some warrants go back to 2021.

Very early on, it bothered me that he got a new phone number. I know people do this every day, for valid and non-nefarious reasons, but I still had to consider that BK's reasons were not so innocent. Again, speculation where perhaps it isn't needed.

We don't know exactly when he moved to Pullman, AFAIK, but it seems it wasn't in June. Either he signed up online, or during a visit. But I wonder if he wanted a local number specifically.
There are earlier (pre BK arrest) warrants for various social media, some of which went back to 2021. I've speculated some of those may have been related to investigating more than just BK ie could have been related to house as target angle and following up/looking for other potential/POIS - at least that was a thought I had. It's hard to know and guess because in December I assume LE were following up on elantras and tips from public re elantras and it's possible some of these led them to looking into particular social media accounts that were not BKs (19/20 redacted names on Tinder for eg that went back as far as 2021?). MOO

Yup!

So when you say:

 They are definitely trying to see if this is a possibility. Could this be the reason he chose WSU?
How convenient to attend College in one State while at the same time stalking women in another State who also attend a different College. Puts some distance between them, less suspicious.

Or he chose WSU first because he got a TA job and could waive out of State tuition etc...But then he could have started looking online for young women in that area. Could have had it planned out before he went out there.

2 Cents
Is that warrant you posted from this latest round?

ETA: I'm not convinced the January 2021 date from pre BK arrest warrants is indicative of BK having known who the victims were at that time. Only guessing, sort of, but I think the date might be related to house as target angle of the investigation. An angle that has since been eliminated but one LE were dedicated to following up. Speculation only. MOO

Last edited:
Is that warrant you posted from this latest round?
February 27, 2023

I wanted to show a Warrant going back to January 1st, 2021 and one with alot of detail because you mentioned the possibility of BK having an online connection to the victims prior to him going to WSU.

When how and why did he choose these 3 women? Or was it just one and he then became interested in her roommates?

Any BK connection to a victim before the crime is a smoking gun.......2 Cents

Quote:

"On a slightly different topic, any thoughts on why BK's mail is now being vetted/sorted by his attorney? Does that mean anything the attorney approves gets to him - or does that just mean that the attorney sees the mail first and forwards whatever BK and she have decided is forwardable and the jail still does its due diligence? Anyone seen this in a prior case?"

It is because BK is getting threatening mail, death threat letters in jail. He doesn't just get crazy "love letters" he gets "hate mail."

Video (Consider the source but news nation was accurate with BK's jail conditions and that he was being looked at in other crimes, amongst other things etc....)

Wow, I hadn't heard about BK getting "hate mail", color me surprised on some level (have only heard of him getting fan mail) !

This may not be a popular opinion (Because BK is innocent until proven guilty and has not had the benefit of presenting his potentially exonerating evidence at trial yet, nor is he even close to a conviction)...

But I am totally with Kaylee's dad saying "Bring It", and doing what he and his family and Maddie's family's lawyer advise them is fine for them to do or say.

They lost their children ! Horrifically with no forewarning and under circumstances beyond their control !

Nothing will change that, nothing can bring them back, but retribution is called for, IMO, and there is no possible way I would stay silent until trial or a guilty plea, if I were them, all those families and friends as well, wanting to make sure The Only Suspect in their murders, BK, knew he was not going to get away with it !

IMO, if there are threats being sent to BK in jail, so be it, it's not like he is shouting his innocence from the rooftops or denying his involvement since Day 1 of his arrest !

He has only said initially through his assigned PA PD, he believed he would be exonerated, and his PD said such a crime was "out of character" for him...

That was all sooooo Milquetoasty, IMO.

I would be loaded for bear if I knew any of the murdered young adults, in any way, shape, or form.

Down off my screed for now, I am so thankful for the, IMO, herculean efforts on the part of LE and the DAs to seek justice for the victims and their loved ones through careful and dedicated investigation work and enpaneling GJs as needed.

Trying to sit tight, waiting for the wheels of justice to turn, but at the same time, I totally understand their family members and others wanting to send a message to BK that he is in their sights and will not get away with murder, if he did commit these horrific *beyond words* crimes.

JMO

Early article

"Bad Facts"

In the defense bar, attorneys have a phrase to describe information that isn’t helpful to their clients: They’re “bad facts."

“Some are bad facts that could get better, and some are ‘bad facts’ that couldn’t get worse"

I think it would be a "bad fact" if investigators find an online connection to BK and the victims.

Other "Bad Facts" are:

A tan leather knife sheath laying on the bed next to Mogen’s right side,” stamped with U.S. Marine Corps “Ka-Bar” and related insignia. From there, authorities found a “single source of male DNA,” and they recovered DNA from Kohberger’s father from the family residence in Pennsylvania.

“At least 99.9998% of the male population would be expected to be excluded from the possibility of being the suspect’s biological father"

Another “bad fact” flagged by experts came in the form of AT&T phone records scrutinized by law enforcement. Between 2:47 a.m. and 4:48 a.m. on the night of the slayings, authorities say, Kohberger turned off his cell phone “to conceal his location during the quadruple homicide that occurred at the King Road Residence.”

“My initial reaction is I’ve seen people convicted on less evidence,” said Epner, a partner at the firm Rottenberg Lipman Rich PC. “But I would not want to go to trial if that was my only evidence.”

If a jury is predisposed to believe Kohberger’s the killer, Epner said, the DNA and the location data would be sufficient if admitted.

“I mean, the Son of Sam was basically caught because of a parking ticket,” Epner said, referring to serial killer David Berkowitz, who wreaked havoc over New York City in the summer of 1977. “No jury would be overturned for convicting on that basis.”

Beyond that, Epner noted, some of the additional evidence is murky. The affidavit refers to a footprint from a “Vans type shoe sole,” without explicitly saying it’s Kohberger’s. Some of the evidence suggests Kohberger may have “stalked” the victims, but Epner says that could have a ready-made defense — though perhaps one that’s not flattering to the accused.

“You could also think this is, you know, a loser, who was socially awkward, who lived in a university town, who was obsessed with a couple of attractive young woman,” Epner said.

The reliance upon the knife’s sheath recovered from the crime scene points to the absence of what it holds: the murder weapon.

The affidavit does, however, contain plenty of evidence of the participation in the investigation by the FBI, which is mentioned eight times in the document.

Yup!

So when you say:

2 Cents
It's definately possible the 2021 date reflects LE looking that far back for a connection, especially in regard to the Feb 2023 tik tok warrant for victims' accounts. But these latest warrants that begin in scope from late June 2022 seem to indicate a stronger knowledge and direction by investigators than previously. Because of the tie in with BK's opening of his phone account. I wonder if he chose WSU and then got online and found out about the victims prior to moving to Pullman. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidblurn