FL - FSU Law Professor Dan Markel Murdered by Hitmen *3 guilty* #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you did misinterpret it. It appears someone told her somebody from WS said this about her podcast.
Listening to her She is very dedicated to this case and is deeply involved in it at a much higher level than us.
She's a nice person and we should give her a thumbs up for what she does. It would be nice if she joins us here in our discussions in the future.
didn't realise you'd done a cheeky edit to your post after I replied to it.

TBC I have given her thumbs ups and also referenced what she's said multiple times on WS over the last fortnight and directed people to her channel.

I had a brief moment of mercy for CA last night when I thought about how terrifying prison will be for him, and his family, and how miserable that will be. What is it like to worry that your son is not safe every minute of the day? I feel like there is a decent chance that someone in prison will resent the circumstances under which the family tried to transfer complete blame elsewhere for their crimes. I do not wish violence on anyone, but I would not mind it if DA had anxious G-I distress for every minute of the rest of her life, and it would be right for her to have that distress while in a tiny cell reflecting on her deep regrets about her cruelty to another mother and her son.
^^rsbm

I re-watched LR's testimony from the SG/KM's first trial in 2019 and I believe it was during cross by either SG's or KM's attorney (a male voice) that LR confirmed he was a legacy member of the Miami gang (born into it) and cooperating in this trial was not only the end of his membership, but for the rest of his life, he has a target on his back. The gang wants LR dead.

LR also made it clear that the gang code doesn't mean you're out only if you testify against another gang member but it's cooperating with the state/government, period, that will cost you. In other words, they operate on the belief that cooperating makes you vulnerable, and therefore, you are more capable of testifying against a member. The code of silence is the ultimate rule in this organization.

LR was asked about his housing in federal prison but you know LR, he doesn't exactly offer up information or details but answered questions that confirmed how he's segregated behind the prison walls. The attorney questioning LR used prison slang terms that I don't understand but LR and the defense attorney seemed to understand each other.

To be honest, the entire line of questioning here was very uncomfortable examination of LR that was finally stopped by the Judge when the prosecution failed to object! All I could think was they too were caught up in following every word LR was saying.

(And if you want to see LR get fired up, just try and hint that LR would ever 'jack boy' (rob a residence) where children are present and/or inside)!

I dunno -- maybe one or both of LR's co-defendants were trying to buy favor from the Miami gang while inside DOC by exposing LR in such a manner, putting him at further risk, by introducing these questions.

This leads me to the same question about CA: Was CA's testimony, leaning heavily on a certain Miami gang (TLK) all part of his defense's strategy in order to keep CA out of general population permanently? CA trying to find a way to fund his own private prison dormitory?

ETA: I'd already heard mention that LR was severely beaten in prison earlier but it was after hearing a comment by Investigator Monica a few days ago on how she'd talked to LR, asked him about his weight loss, and that he responded that he'd been working out, that caused me to reference his Federal Docket today:

The first entry to LR's docket since 2017 is dated 1/25/2023, and clipped below. IMO, this entry corresponds to possible physical contact between LR and Sean Buendia, aka King Chill.

I'm speculating Buendia may have played LR a not so friendly visit just as he was to be released. Per the entry, the visit cost King Chill an additional 8 months imprisonment. BPO records indicate Buendia was released from federal custody on 9/20/2023.

The harsh reality is that LR is not likely to ever leave prison alive, and more reason to applaud him for doing the right thing here to secure justice for Dan.

1699218172117.png

Last edited:
Interesting to hear Epstein say that Lacasse is working with HBO on their future production but didn't want to help with his book. ( Maybe like Stephen Webster said last week, Webster was under subpoena so he felt that he could only speak in public now ( Also, same interview, not surprised to hear Jane MacPherson's response to Epstein's request)
LaCasse is working on the movie? That’s hilarious. This is his five minutes of fame and he’s taking it as far as it will go. JMO. He did help solve this case.

Interesting that Lacasse is working with HBO. He has changed since the first trial for sure. I’m feeling more and more that he was embellishing this time around. I didn’t feel that way the first 2 times he testified. JMO

That's why I went back to listen again and then provided the time stamp & asked the question.

didn't realise you'd done a cheeky edit to your post after I replied to it.

TBC I have given her thumbs ups and also referenced what she's said multiple times on WS over the last fortnight and directed people to her channel.
The edit wasn't in reference to your post or about you. It was my personal thoughts. You do good work too. That's why I deleted it.

Last edited:
In reference to WA & DA. "When the case is closed, Law Enforcement will announce that, Until then anything can happen" -Deleted member 173651
Also, there's no statute of limitations on murder!

I followed the 1982 ax murder of 29 yr old Cathy Krauseneck-- found in her bed with an ax in her head in Brighton, NY. Her then husband, James Krauseneck, was finally indicted in 2019, and convicted of her murder in Sept 2022.

Justice albeit 40 years later, and so happy Cathy's 90+ year old father lived to see the day.

The juror foreperson gives an excellent recap of the deliberations at the link below. Just hearing how normal, reasonable jurors look at what doesn't seem plausible is very much applicable to this case.

I like Epstein, I liked his book. However, he is of the opinion Wendi was not involved and did not know anything about the murder. He supports this with the fact that she spoke to the police for so long and revealed so much information. He just thinks nobody would do that if they knew something. The police interview is puzzling to me. Why would someone with prior knowledge sit there for five hours answering questions and volunteering stuff like her phone and computer? But I learned a lot of things in this trial that would seem to implicate her, in my opinion. Do you think Epstein’s opinion has changed since he saw this trial? There was some stuff there I hadn’t heard before.

I agree that WA was shielded by all of her family but I also think WA had sufficient time think about how she would likely be a witness for the case and therefore became well versed in Florida's "transactional use and derivative use immunity."

WA was in the company of many lawyers before and after the murder. In other words, I think WA knew what her family was capable of--especially her mother. I agree here but I've also long opined that WA will never be charged/prosecuted for the murder.

^^rsbm

I re-watched LR's testimony from the SG/KM's first trial in 2019 and I believe it was during cross by either SG's or KM's attorney (a male voice) that LR confirmed he was a legacy member of the Miami gang (born into it) and cooperating in this trial was not only the end of his membership, but for the rest of his life, he has a target on his back. The gang wants LR dead.

LR also made it clear that the gang code doesn't mean you're out only if you testify against another gang member but it's cooperating with the state/government, period, that will cost you. In other words, they operate on the belief that cooperating makes you vulnerable, and therefore, you are more capable of testifying against a member. The code of silence is the ultimate rule in this organization.

LR was asked about his housing in federal prison but you know LR, he doesn't exactly offer up information or details but answered questions that confirmed how he's segregated behind the prison walls. The attorney questioning LR used prison slang terms that I don't understand but LR and the defense attorney seemed to understand each other.

To be honest, the entire line of questioning here was very uncomfortable examination of LR that was finally stopped by the Judge when the prosecution failed to object! All I could think was they too were caught up in following every word LR was saying.

(And if you want to see LR get fired up, just try and hint that LR would ever 'jack boy' (rob a residence) where children are present and/or inside)!

I dunno -- maybe one or both of LR's co-defendants were trying to buy favor from the Miami gang while inside DOC by exposing LR in such a manner, putting him at further risk, by introducing these questions.

This leads me to the same question about CA: Was CA's testimony, leaning heavily on a certain Miami gang (TLK) all part of his defense's strategy in order to keep CA out of general population permanently? CA trying to find a way to fund his own private prison dormitory?

ETA: I'd already heard mention that LR was severely beaten in prison earlier but it was after hearing a comment by Investigator Monica a few days ago on how she'd talked to LR, asked him about his weight loss, and that he responded that he'd been working out, that caused me to reference his Federal Docket today:

The first entry to LR's docket since 2017 is dated 1/25/2023, and clipped below. IMO, this entry corresponds to possible physical contact between LR and Sean Buendia, aka King Chill.

I'm speculating Buendia may have played LR a not so friendly visit just as he was to be released. Per the entry, the visit cost King Chill an additional 8 months imprisonment. BPO records indicate Buendia was released from federal custody on 9/20/2023.

The harsh reality is that LR is not likely to ever leave prison alive, and more reason to applaud him for doing the right thing here to secure justice for Dan.

View attachment 458447

Excellent work, @Seattle1!

Just can't imagine on what universe WA and CA would kill the father of Wendi's children without her knowledge!

To be clear, knowledge of a crime is not the same as probable cause to charge WA with any crime.

In most cases, people are under no legal duty to report a crime. “Failure to report a crime” is generally not a crime in and of itself. This is true even if someone:
  • knew about the criminal activity in advance,
  • witnessed the commission of a crime while it unfolded or took place, and/or
  • learned of the offense after it took place.
ETA: Mandatory reporters pursuant to state & federal laws are of course the exception.

Last edited:
jaw-dropping details on CA's arrest. circa 39mins , author-lawyer Steven Epstein
I knew that KM's mother passed not long after her arrest, but I don't know why I thought SG/KM's children were sent out of the country to live with SG's family. Nonetheless, good to hear from the author that KM has at least one stable family member acting as the caregiver for the children. For once, technology can be utilized for something positive if they opt for video visitation.

A few scattered observations on the cross-examination of CA and how it relates to his credibility.

I think the jury will notice how unreflective CA is about his story. If what he says is true, then he has had years since he realized how the “scheme against him” worked. Yet he seems indignant at the very idea of scrutinizing his story with the info we have today. Who does that?! Answer: Someone unconcerned with the truth (and unconcerned about understanding how he ended up where he is now). Someone only interested in concocting a story to cover up his crimes. After all this time, he’s no wiser about what happened, and shows no interest in becoming so. Compare that with Lacasse, who did reflect on what happened, and came to see that things were not at all what he thought they were at the time, and was even willing to admit that he, himself, was “pathetic”.

CA denies things no reasonable person would. GC asks if it would have been better for him if there was mention of extortion on the wiretaps. Any normal person would concur: Yes, it would be helpful to have exculpatory evidence. Instead, in a voice dripping with self-pity, CA says wtte “you would just twist such evidence against me.” As a juror, I’d be annoyed that a defendant would assume I couldn’t assess evidence for myself and that I would always concur with the prosecution.

An even more unnecessary and disastrous disagreement with GC was the outrageous minimization of Nazis by CA. He was willing to characterize them as crazy, but pushed back against stronger descriptors. When GC tried to nudge CA with the word “exterminate” (or perhaps a form of that word) to remind the defendant of one of the most horrific crimes of the 20th Century, I remember thinking, does CA think Nazis are merely some fictional, oddball villains like the Daleks? Or does he think his jury is populated with skinhead, white supremacists that he wants to ingratiate?

Heavens to Murgatroyd! Is he so wedded to his carefully engineered narrative of innocence that he’s willing to be seen as coming perilously close to trucking in Holocaust denialism? Dude, how can you not know how desperate and creepy you look?!

It speaks volumes about CA’s self-regard that he believes these foolish or repugnant arguments will sway a jury.

These aren’t the things that will convict him, per se. But—I think—they are among the issues that will cause the jury to question his credibility and ultimately to disbelieve him. That will lead to rejecting his absurd defense. Conviction follows from that.

Well it’s 3:16 in the morning here and I’m sitting on the couch drinking coffee and worrying. I’ve gone over everything and just can’t see a jury finding him innocent. The evidence is there for all to see. Let’s hope Georgia or Sarah nails the closing (which they will no doubt). I’m going to mute Rash’s closing, enough is enough with his fairy tales.

Recommendations for watching closing arguments?

On Friday, someone mentioned live commentary by Tim Janson on Surviving the Survivor of the cross-examination of CA. I asked for a link and I was pointed to the STS website.

I had already gone to the website and all I found was a live feed of the trial with no discernible commentary. That was why I requested a link.

Two questions:

1. If I had stuck with the STS live feed, would I have found live commentary during sidebars and other breaks? Was my mistake not sticking with the live feed long enough to get the commentary bits during appropriate moments? Or is there a separate STS feed with running commentary that I could not find?

2. Are there any other sites covering the trial live that folks recommend for insightful commentary as well as complete live coverage?

TIA!

Monday, November 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 8)-Closing Arguments! (@ 8:30am ET) - FL – Daniel Eric Markel (41) (shot to death July 18, 2014, Tallahassee) - *Charles Jay Adelson (37 @ time of crime/45/now 46) was indicted (4/20/22), arrested & charged (4/21/22) & booked (in Leon County 4/25/22) with 1st degree murder, conspiracy to commit murder & solicitation to commit murder. No bond (denied bond 4/26/22). Bond release denied (9/9/22).
Jury selection set to begin on 10/23/23 & ended on 10/25/23. 12 Jurors & 3 alternates (8 men & 7 women; 7 white men, 1 Black man, 2 white women & 5 Black women).
Trial began on 10/26/23. State rested their case on 11/1/23. Defense began on 11/1/23 & rested on 11/3/23. From 9am 5:30pm except Wednesdays from 9am-5pm/5:15pm.
Circuit Judge Stephen Everett presiding. Prosecutor Georgia Cappleman. Defense attorney Daniel Rashbaum & Kate Meyers.

Court info from 4/21/22 thru 10/23/23 & Jury Selection Day 1-3 (10/23-10/25/23) & Trial Day 1-6 (10/26-11/2/23) reference post #481 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-25

11/3/23 Friday, Trial Day 7: Defense witness: Charlie Adelson returns on stand.
Attorney Rashbaum says the defense rests. Cappleman says the state doesn’t plan to have a rebuttal argument. Judge Everett says he’s going to release jurors & have them return Monday for closing arguments.
For more info see post #681 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...murdered-by-hitmen-3-guilty-16.694864/page-35
Closing arguments begin on Monday, 11/6/23.

Morning all.
The State will bring it home today and the jury will endorse it shortly thereafter. I feel confident, not bullish but my gut feeling is that everything will be fine

------
BTW
In the meantime am bumping up some of the old tipline info from the official JusticeForDan site because we've had recent WS discussion around the ' Don't tell Dad' comments from CA during the Bump wiretaps with DA.

( Related clips on their other socials accounts. Hope this is okay to paste on this WS thread. This tweet is one from a thread.)

Recommendations for watching closing arguments?

On Friday, someone mentioned live commentary by Tim Janson on Surviving the Survivor of the cross-examination of CA. I asked for a link and I was pointed to the STS website.

I had already gone to the website and all I found was a live feed of the trial with no discernible commentary. That was why I requested a link.

Two questions:

1. If I had stuck with the STS live feed, would I have found live commentary during sidebars and other breaks? Was my mistake not sticking with the live feed long enough to get the commentary bits during appropriate moments? Or is there a separate STS feed with running commentary that I could not find?

2. Are there any other sites covering the trial live that folks recommend for insightful commentary as well as complete live coverage?

TIA!
There was a period of time when Tim was absent due to a doctor's appointment, so you may have unfortunately tuned in before he returned. I watched the STS live feed during the cross and found Tim's comments interesting. He pointed out several places where objections could/should have been raised and discussed how obviously rehearsed CA's testimony was. I plan to watch the STS feed today and am particularly interested in Tim's assessment of the defense closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jend1184