New developments in unsolved Jennings murders

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20081116/NEWS03/811160306/1062
JENNINGS — More than three years ago, Jefferson Davis Parish authorities began investigating the deaths of Jennings women who were known to live illicit lifestyles.

All the women were in their 20s and had escalated levels of cocaine and alcohol in their bodies when they were found in rural but public areas of the small, poor parish.

With a seventh body found Saturday that is suspected to be that of the 17-year-old relative of one of the victims, officials are investigating tips but are without a lead suspect. (emphasis added)

Lengthy article and timeline at link.

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20081116/NEWS03/811160304/1062
Serial murder not unfamiliar to S. La.

http://www.thetowntalk.com/article/20081116/NEWS01/811160323

More interesting info from the above link (bolding mine):
Brittney's cousin, Kristen Elizabeth Gary Lopez, was the third victim, and her best friend, fourth victim LaConia Shontel "Muggy" Brown, died earlier this year.

A week before Brittney went missing, a serial killer profiler told a private investigator that another girl would be killed before Christmas.

Every one of the victims is connected to the Gary family in some way, and Teresa Gary said they knew all of them. The second victim, Ernesteine Marie Daniel Patterson, was one of Teresa Gary's employees at Wendy's.

The family had returned to Jennings less than a week before Brittney's disappearance after living with family in Houston and Lufkin, Texas, for four months. Her daughter had done drugs in the past, Gary said, but was clean while they lived in Texas.

Very interesting that all the victims tie back to this one family. Any matching cases in Lufkin Texas in the last four months?

:woohoo: It's about time LE has "decided" there is a serial killer!

"All the women were in their 20s and had escalated levels of cocaine and alcohol in their bodies when they were found in rural but public areas of the small, poor parish."
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20081116/NEWS03/811160306/1062

I wonder if the killer watched their daily habits and would strike after they had got high.

What really concerns me is that one of this girls family members was murdered by the serial killer, so if someone picked her up obviously she knew them.

Very interesting that all the victims tie back to this one family. Any matching cases in Lufkin Texas in the last four months?

Been thinking along those lines also. Between the friends/relative murdered and her mother saying "She was scared, she was like you don't know who you can trust anymore, they can be your friend. You just never know,".....it doesn't seem like she'd hop in any ole car.

In Jennings 11/2 the weather was clear, sunset was at 5:22PM with twilight ending at 5:47PM. According to the video Brittany left the store around 5:30 to walk 5 blocks to her home. Darkness is just setting in, don't know if there's street lights or not. The walk from store to home was simple....like an upside down L...no parks, alleys etc. Walk time is estimated @ around 10 mins. And Google map shows S Doyle as a populated steet.

Does make one wonder.

ETA Was thinking car...wouldn't have to be...wondering if any "trusted" individual lived between store and home?

"It was a feeling we had," said Gary's uncle, Butch Gary. He organized the search parties and combed rural central-Jefferson Davis Parish, where the six other women were found..."
"Authorities searched over the same area the family has searched with infra-red cameras and came up empty, meaning Brittney's body might not have been there long before searchers found it."

In the location of victims map/post 16, bodies 1, 2, 4, 5 & 6 are kind of clustered directly south of Jennings & and range from 1+ miles (5) to 5+ miles (4) from S Doyle St. The closest body (5) was the one doused in bleach and left in the road by the police shooting range.

Brittany (7) is 9+miles and her cousin is (3) is 16 miles from S Doyle St. Both are to the SW of Jennings.

Kind of a separation from the rest.....perhaps intentional?

Also no bodies were found in 2006.

From kplctv:

"I can tell you that we are investigating some leads and that we do have a short list of persons of interest and that we're working on the case day and night," said Mallett.

Also working the case is the FBI. Teresa was questioned by them on Friday and says they're not counting anyone out in Brittney's disappearance.

"In the end, they need me to take a lie detector test to rule all that out and I don't have a problem with that at all, but it hurts that they would think that, but I guess it's their job," said Teresa.

http://www.kplctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=9317692&nav=0nqxHmI6

Not thinking it's Teresa but do wonder if all family members will be as obliging re test.

I think they should also take into account while it could be family...it could also be a policeman or someone who works closely with them on these cases. The body being found on the way to the police shooting range is a huge clue, imo.

I wasn't aware of these cases and it is very disturbing to see the inability to close in on a perp when you have so many in a small cluster who are related in some way.

This case is disturbing in that it's in such a small town, similar mo (IMO), and what should be a small # of possible suspects. This reminds me of years ago when I lived in the Pacific Northwest and periodically we'd hear about one, two, or three bodies found along the Green River. Then nothing and years went by and suddenly. :(

It's like the person doing it KNOWS that no one will investigate this fully because of the 'life style' of the victims and the 'lack' of clues, ie dna etc.

IMHO, the FBI needs to look at this from the OUTSIDE-IN, leaving NO ONE, who lives in the area, out as a suspect. ;)

There's clues here. LOTS of clues.

JMHO
fran

From May of 2007:

51-year-old Frankie Richard and 22-year-old Hannah Conner, both of Jennings, were booked Wednesday on second degree murder charges.
This arrest is connected to the murder of Kristen Gary Lopez.
Deputies say Lopez's nude body was found in a rural area of the parish in March of 2007.
The investigation into her death did not lead to any arrests until now.
Investigators say the names of the two suspects, whom are uncle and niece, have come up often in this investigation.

. . . Sheriff Edwards is now saying that Conner may also be connected to three other murders dating back two years.
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6527079

I wonder what happened with this?

And also from May of 2007
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6568824
There is new information on the homicide investigation of Kristen Gary Lopez.
Investigators have made another arrest. 31-year-old Tracee Chaisson of Jennings, has been booked into the Jennings jail, charged with accessory after the fact.
Chaisson was interviewed on several occasions and was the person who reported Lopez missing.

Chaisson is the last name of one of the victims, right? But not the one she's been arrested about. I wonder how they're related? Also, this Tracee Chaisson got married this May to Dennis Egelston, Jr. http://www.jenningsdailynews.net/weds.php?id=32

So are the uncle and niece in any way related to the victims? I know the article just mentions they were in the drug ring.

From May of 2007:

51-year-old Frankie Richard and 22-year-old Hannah Conner, both of Jennings, were booked Wednesday on second degree murder charges.
This arrest is connected to the murder of Kristen Gary Lopez.
Deputies say Lopez's nude body was found in a rural area of the parish in March of 2007.
The investigation into her death did not lead to any arrests until now.
Investigators say the names of the two suspects, whom are uncle and niece, have come up often in this investigation.

. . . Sheriff Edwards is now saying that Conner may also be connected to three other murders dating back two years.
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6527079

I wonder what happened with this?

And also from May of 2007
http://www.klfy.com/Global/story.asp?S=6568824
There is new information on the homicide investigation of Kristen Gary Lopez.
Investigators have made another arrest. 31-year-old Tracee Chaisson of Jennings, has been booked into the Jennings jail, charged with accessory after the fact.
Chaisson was interviewed on several occasions and was the person who reported Lopez missing.

Chaisson is the last name of one of the victims, right? But not the one she's been arrested about. I wonder how they're related? Also, this Tracee Chaisson got married this May to Dennis Egelston, Jr. http://www.jenningsdailynews.net/weds.php?id=32

I read an article...or something... that said Hannah was released and moved out of Jennings...possibly out of State. And that Richard was released and is now deceased. Thought I placed it under Favorites but can't find it...probably because half the internets there... will post link when found.

I do have the article but don't know if it can be placed here in due to copyright. Anyone know?

American Press (Lake Charles, LA) - July 31, 2007

Rape charges dropped Alleged victim drops complaint against man once suspected in Jeff Davis slaying
JENNINGS - Rape charges have been dismissed against a local man who was a suspect in the death of one of four women whose bodies were dumped in rural parts of Jeff Davis Parish over the past two years. The charges were dismissed Monday against Frankie Richard, 52, of Jennings, after the alleged victim dropped her complaint. Richard was released from the parish jail shortly after 3 p.m. Monday. The charge stemmed from an incident that occurred earlier this year.

"Second-degree murder charges against Richard and his niece, Hannah Conner, 22, of Jennings, were dismissed in May after authorities received conflicting statements from witness Tracee Lynn Chaisson, 32, of Jennings."

and other of interest:

"Richard has been interviewed in three of the four cases because he was reportedly seen with the women in the final days of their lives. Conner was seen with Lopez in her last days, authorities said.

Manslaughter charges were dismissed earlier this year against two local men who were accused of being involved in the slaying of the second victim, Ernestine Marie Daniel Patterson, 30, of Jennings.

Byron Chad Jones and Lawrence Nixon were indicted last year, but the charges were dropped because of a lack of evidence."

Lopez's body was found March 18 by a fisherman in the Petitjean Canal near Cherokee Road, just off La. 99, about 10 miles south of Welsh. She was last seen March 5 and was reported missing 10 days later.

I think they should also take into account while it could be family...it could also be a policeman or someone who works closely with them on these cases. The body being found on the way to the police shooting range is a huge clue, imo.

I wasn't aware of these cases and it is very disturbing to see the inability to close in on a perp when you have so many in a small cluster who are related in some way.

This fella was cleared but interesting.

Detective cleared

Truck he purchased from inmate linked to March slaying
Author: DORIS MARICLE; AMERICAN PRESS
November 27, 2007

Article Text:

JENNINGS - A veteran Jeff Davis Parish sheriff's detective has been cleared of wrongdoing in connection with his purchase of a pickup truck that may have been involved in the slaying of a local woman.

The finding follows a seven-month state police investigation of Detective Warren Gary's purchase of the truck from an inmate. ..............

Gary bought the truck from Connie Siler, who had been arrested on worthless-check charges, after she was released from jail on March 30............

State police investigators were unable to get a statement from Siler, who is now in Yuba City, Calif., according to the report. .........

Siler was interviewed as a "person of interest" in three of the four slayings of young women whose bodies have been found dumped in rural parts of the parish over the last two years. .......

Gary told investigators he bought the truck for $9,000, the amount he had available without having to take out a loan. He later sold the truck for $15,000 to a grant writer - the ex-wife of a state trooper in Lake Charles - making a $6,500 profit. ........

Cassidy said it was not until after the transaction and Gary's resale of the truck that authorities learned from a witness that the truck may have been involved in the death of Kristen Elizabeth Gary Lopez in March. A forensic exam of the vehicle was made, at which time potential evidence was retrieved from the truck. Lab results are still pending, he said.

I know there is another thread concerning these murders, but for the life of me I can't find it.

I find it very interesting that in this small area there has been 6 murders. The possible 7th found this past weekend. Is anyone familiar with the area? There are only a half dozen or so media news blips of these women being murdered and dumped.

This sounds like a serial killer to me, though I wonder if the last young woman found this past week was a victim of opportunity. It has been said she was a family member to one of the other victims. I wonder if she may have known her killer.

I know there is another thread concerning these murders, but for the life of me I can't find it.

I find it very interesting that in this small area there has been 6 murders. The possible 7th found this past weekend. Is anyone familiar with the area? There are only a half dozen or so media news blips of these women being murdered and dumped.

This sounds like a serial killer to me, though I wonder if the last young woman found this past week was a victim of opportunity. It has been said she was a family member to one of the other victims. I wonder if she may have known her killer.

Here it is......darn forget the thread title :confused: has Jennings in it for sure :)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74807

So are the uncle and niece in any way related to the victims? I know the article just mentions they were in the drug ring.

Hi SS; it said in another article that the uncle and niece were arrested on charges of one murder and then the charges were dropped; everyone of the victims knew the Gary family..

"Every one of the victims is connected to the Gary family in some way, and Teresa Gary said they knew all of them. The second victim, Ernesteine Marie Daniel Patterson, was one of Teresa Gary's employees at Wendy's."

(being it's a smaller town; most people likely know each other in one way or another. yet that should also make it easier for LE to solve..)

This fella was cleared but interesting.

Detective cleared

Truck he purchased from inmate linked to March slaying
Author: DORIS MARICLE; AMERICAN PRESS
November 27, 2007

Article Text:

JENNINGS - A veteran Jeff Davis Parish sheriff's detective has been cleared of wrongdoing in connection with his purchase of a pickup truck that may have been involved in the slaying of a local woman.

The finding follows a seven-month state police investigation of Detective Warren Gary's purchase of the truck from an inmate. ..............

Gary bought the truck from Connie Siler, who had been arrested on worthless-check charges, after she was released from jail on March 30............

State police investigators were unable to get a statement from Siler, who is now in Yuba City, Calif., according to the report. .........

Siler was interviewed as a "person of interest" in three of the four slayings of young women whose bodies have been found dumped in rural parts of the parish over the last two years. .......

Gary told investigators he bought the truck for $9,000, the amount he had available without having to take out a loan. He later sold the truck for $15,000 to a grant writer - the ex-wife of a state trooper in Lake Charles - making a $6,500 profit. ........

Cassidy said it was not until after the transaction and Gary's resale of the truck that authorities learned from a witness that the truck may have been involved in the death of Kristen Elizabeth Gary Lopez in March. A forensic exam of the vehicle was made, at which time potential evidence was retrieved from the truck. Lab results are still pending, he said.

This article is really interesting. Why would a detective buy a truck off a woman who just got out? Some kind of bargain going on there? Especially after he resells it for $6500.00!
Also; the detective's last name is Gary; any relation to Brittany or the other women who have turned up missing?
Maybe someone in the local police department has watched too much 'Dexter' or something..
How can such a small town be in denial of serial murders and not arrest anyone or come up with any decent leads? Maybe it's someone behind the badge doing the killings.

This article has some additional information about these murders http://www.theadvertiser.com/article/20081116/NEWS01/811160332&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

From above article (bolding mine):
Patterson was the only official homicide until this year when LaConia "Muggy" Brown, 23, was found in the middle of a gravel road on the city/parish border just hours after she was last seen.

She was doused in bleach but died from what Edwards said was a slit throat. The gravel road leads to a police shooting range, guaranteeing that a police officer would find the body.

I am just catching up on this story, but when I saw the bolded information that mahmoo had posted, I already had the same idea that Meow just mentioned - someone in LE is involved. Not sure why, but that thought just screamed inside my head. This is obviously a serial killer case, yet LE is in denial!!!!???? That in itself is suspicious and should be investigated. Something stinks here.

hey REEE! I completely agree with what you said above. Also, perhaps we should look at other "connections" these women may have had besides familyl/friends. This is a strange one indeed!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back