WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see "gave us the van for trips" to mean just that, that they were given the van to use for trips, not that they were given the van. Just a different wording for borrowing it.

you're kidding, right?

Kinda like, "found the overnight bag not in the van

ETA; recent article which includes info about overnight bag.

."The next day residents found Shantina's van stuck in the water, her wallet was on the seat but her purse was missing, her keys were on the dashboard, and her overnight bag was missing. The side door and back hatch were open, Shantina and Azriel were nowhere to be found

http://www.examiner.com/x-34328-Seattle-Headlines-Examiner~y2010m4d2-Disappeared-without-a-trace-Shantina-Smiley-still-missing-fiance-holds-out-hope-shell-come-home

ETA; more from the same article;

"She had every reason to want to live," Simmons said. "The Tuesday before she went missing her boss told her she was doing exceptionally well at work."

Shantina wanted a job with benefits, it's what she'd worked so hard to accomplish. She had two job interviews for full-time positions in medical coding and billing with benefits lined up. Simmons doesn't believe Shantina would have done anything to jeopardize fulfilling that dream.

"She was worried about my health," Simmons said, "but we didn't have an answer yet and my health problems could have been minor. I do think the worry may have caused her to relapse and start drinking again because she thought I could possibly have cancer."

She has gone from did relapse to may have relapsed.

Imo, more inconsistencies to come...

ETA; from another article;

The missing woman’s fiancé, Robert Simmons, told KIRO 7 reporter Richard Thompson that Smiley is an alcoholic and that she had a relapse last week and began drinking again.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/22859850/detail.html

ETA; mixed messages, she's on the top of the world, everything to look forward to, life is perfect, except for that one little problem that he hadn't even been to the doctor to see what it was yet,

or

she relapsed b/c she was afraid he had cancer and she was so upset she went to the doctor and got on anti anxiety meds, and started drinking again.

I have never seen anyone be able to put such negative info about a missing woman, and her child, then completely go along with everything new thing that is put out there by the same person, even though it's inconsistent.

Someone please refer me to why RS cannot be discussed, or even doubted, b/c I'm really puzzled by this forced restraint. tia

I must be missing something...

From the clips I'm reading I don't see how they are that different. It is saying that they give them the van for trips, just like my parents give me their truck for camping. They didn't "give" me the truck to keep, but do when I need it (thus I'm borrowing it). I "borrow" it, they "give" it, just a matter of the I, they, he, she.

Seriously? Are some on here trying to get this thread shut down? There have been warnings already about leaving it be until such time, if ever, that LE says something. What good is getting this thread shut down going to do anyone????
Doesn't matter if I agree or disagree with these statements being made, it's off the table right now. I urge everyone to edit their posts so that this thread has a prayer of staying open.

I must be missing something...

From the clips I'm reading I don't see how they are that different. It is saying that they give them the van for trips, just like my parents give me their truck for camping. They didn't "give" me the truck to keep, but do when I need it (thus I'm borrowing it). I "borrow" it, they "give" it, just a matter of the I, they, he, she.

Police say 29-year-old Shantina Smiley borrowed her fiancee's minivan on Saturday. Late Sunday morning that vehicle was found partially submerged in Budd Inlet

This is from post 1, thread 1 on this case.

Please note that the van was RS's van, not his parents' van, and she "borrowed" it from him, not them.

moo

ETA;
I don't know how to double quote, but he says they gave "us" the van, but as you can see from post one, the van is "his."

I agree, and I think this is a very important issue.

Being pretty familiar with the area, I believe the person who drove the van onto that beach had prior knowledge of the location, or was directed by someone with knowledge of it.

Someone local and/or familiar with the area could know of that beach access road. Someone who had ventured onto that beach from the water might have spotted the road. But it is private--no public access via roads.

Even if Shantina had looked at a map and wondered if there was beach access at the end of Zangle Road, the idea that she found that road at night--and drove down it without knowing where it led--is, IMO, highly improbable.

Zangle Road heads through a remote, wooded area. About 2 miles from Boston Harbor Rd, to continue on Zangle you must exit onto a marked, dead end road. Someone unfamiliar with the road would most likely end up on 81st, since the road curves right and becomes 81st. At the end of (the dead end) Zangle Rd there is a home, and it is clearly private property.

The beach access road would be very difficult to find in the dark and also difficult to navigate. Especially at night, it would be impossible, IMO, to see the condition of the road or where it leads. Not a road most people would risk taking at night if unfamiliar to them. Probably not a road a mother with her child, previously lost for hours (supposedly), perhaps impaired, at some point possibly scared, would choose to drive down at night without knowledge of its condition.

Also relevant is the fact that this is a very quiet, remote & secluded residential area and, again, a private beach. In daylight or early evening, someone attempting to drive down that private road would likely be spotted and, I assume, asked to turn around.

IMO, if someone were planning to go to that beach, they would wait until late at night to avoid being spotted. I also think they would not plan on being there long, i.e. not a good place to sleep or drink, being private property. ~ JMO

Btw, I love reading everyone's opinions & ideas. I haven't read them all, but someday I might catch up! Thanks to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughts and such great information.

Since you are a local, may I ask you a question?

Would someone only familiar with the area refer to the area as Dana Passage?

I ask this b/c on google maps, it doesn't say Dana Passage.

How familiar would someone have to be to call it that?

Please be as specific as possible.

tia

Going back to the migraines...

http://forum.myspace.com/index.cfm?...ken=EEF18A85-30A6-45C8-9097D21358D6D312144005

I know there are many things that trigger migraines, some could be aneurisms, high blood pressure, a defective blood vessel in the brain that could eventually rupture into a stroke, etc...

I wasn't aware that hers were that bad. But migraines COULD account for some of her behavior that night.

IMO

She should've gone to a doctor, in my opinion, I wonder if she did. This home diagnosing thing doesn't sound safe.

Again, my opinion only.
:)

We're not sure he was talking about her. That doesn't mean she didn't have migraines, though. Goodness knows she had enough reason to.

On Cadmium:

Possibly exposed through materials used in his business as a photographer?

He's a welder, in civilian and military. I'd think maybe that was the cause. He uses digital cameras now; not sure when he made the switch. Either way, I don't doubt he was exposed.

Calliope - I know it sounds strange to split ashes (I would have never guessed people did that until my father passed away.)

He was cremated and I knew nothing about this. So I spoke with people, can't remember what the name of the organization was, but they deal with this sort of thing and said it's done all the time now with people living in different parts of the country and of the world.

Thanks. That just surprised me. I didn't know they did that.

It was reported on KIRO 97.3FM Seattle this morning that a fly-over was done over the Fox Island area where AZ was found. They didn't say what day this happened, but it was this past week (3/28-4/3). No signs of Shantina were found. I'd like to think it happened yesterday, but the wind was very high most of the day and lots of rain.

I think it will probably be a person out boating or walking the shore that will find her.If she has not been swept to far away. moo

Hi I finally sorta caught up with you all, been following this in the news.

Question about the wine, once an alcoholic opens that bottle; don't they have a tendency to finish what they started? (This is an honest question not nasty comment)

I am having a hard time believing SS did this to her son.

Re The van he has said; "Yes we have two vehicles, I told her to take the van - it is in better working condition and Azriel can watch a movie..."

He has said he last spoke with her at 4:30 (I know he said 4 something) when she was getting ready to leave and he asked her to bring his cell phone charger because his cell phone was low. He was going to be leaving right from training and planned to catch her on the road.

Then he said he spoke with her after 6, she was stopping to get something for Azriel to eat, wouldn't this have been the perfect time for him to catch up with them?

This is a victim friendly forum. RS has done nothing wrong. The suspicion of him needs to be layed to rest.

I don't believe it was borrowed. Somewhere along the line I read his parents gave them (him?) the van. I don't recall there being anything about it being for trips or whatever. With three kids, the scouting and all, it makes sense they'd need one on occasion.

Memorial Service Planned for WA Woman Presumed Dead : Robb Simmons, Fiance, Plans April 17 Service

http://img..com/thumbs/event/480/385/51161365-picphp-jpg.jpg

While still holding out slim hope that the missing Silverdale , WA mother is still alive, Shantina Smiley's fiance Robb Simmons is planning a memorial service with friends and relatives this month to honor her memory.

The service will take place this April 17 in Brinnon, he has told area press.
Law Enforcement officials in Thurston County say they have no further leads in the case
They are open to possibilities, but are working on the assumption that Smiley and her child were parked in the van at low tide along the shore, fell asleep, and were later surprised and swept away in the high tide while attempting to exit the vehicle.
http://www..com/contributed-news/55...ad-robb-simmons-fiance-plans-april-17-service

Maybe the reports mis-quoted or got the story wrong in the beginning about the car. Was there news footage of these quotes? If not, then I would really take it with a grain of salt. Just cause it's said on the news doesn't automatically make it so. This goes for everything, the car, what they did or didn't find, searches, etc.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4263173&id=700181432

I posted this last night -- It is from my "friend's" face book page. I was just so excited to see a screen shot of SS FB page that I didn't really analyze it until the morning. As I was showing it to my husband, it dawned on me why it was posted. Some one posts on her wall on the 17th to be safe -- no big deal there -- I don't think. But the posts after that -- BIG DEAL. The posts are of her horoscope one is posted on March 18 -- 5 days after she disappeared the other is posted "2 hours ago" and the screen shot is taken on March 21. If that screen shot was taken on March 22 it would have said March 21. The only way to post your horoscope is to do so yourself!! It doesn't randomly post -- if it did there would be one for everyday. I believe she is alive and may have been running from somebody and is being protected. Just my opinion!! Wish I could post more of my theories but I know that I can't sleuth "innocent" people.

Law Enforcement officials in Thurston County say they have no further leads in the case. They are open to possibilities, but are working on the assumption that Smiley and her child were parked in the van at low tide along the shore, fell asleep, and were later surprised and swept away in the high tide while attempting to exit the vehicle. This was confirmed by Lt. Chris Mealy, spokesman for the investigation headed by Thurston County's Sheriff's Office.

So LE has no further leads. I guess nobody's sending in any tips, or the tips haven't turned up any indication of foul play or of a medical condition like a brain event with Shantina.

But LE is open to other possibilities, so if people have ideas, they could send them in.

I think I'm going wait until Shantina's body is found, and then send my write-up about a possible brain event to the M.E. who handles the case. I don't mind being laughed at by someone far more knowledge, educated, and experienced than I am :)

They think they fell asleep and were swept away while trying to get out of the van. That's so sad.

And the article says Robb is still hoping Shantina is alive. Very sad also. Poor guy.

http://www..com/contributed-news/55...ad-robb-simmons-fiance-plans-april-17-service

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=4263173&id=700181432

I posted this last night -- It is from my "friend's" face book page. I was just so excited to see a screen shot of SS FB page that I didn't really analyze it until the morning. As I was showing it to my husband, it dawned on me why it was posted. Some one posts on her wall on the 17th to be safe -- no big deal there -- I don't think. But the posts after that -- BIG DEAL. The posts are of her horoscope one is posted on March 18 -- 5 days after she disappeared the other is posted "2 hours ago" and the screen shot is taken on March 21. If that screen shot was taken on March 22 it would have said March 21. The only way to post your horoscope is to do so yourself!! It doesn't randomly post -- if it did there would be one for everyday. I believe she is alive and may have been running from somebody and is being protected. Just my opinion!! Wish I could post more of my theories but I know that I can't sleuth "innocent" people.

I can't seem to get the link to work, so I'll have to ask you. The horoscopes can be set to automatically be sent to your FB page (daily, weekly, etc). For a time mine were not showing up in any regular pattern (I'd get it one day and then not for 4 days,etc even though it was supposed to populate daily). It is possible that this is the case here. If not then LE can get the records pulled and see where they are coming from.

I can't seem to get the link to work, so I'll have to ask you. The horoscopes can be set to automatically be sent to your FB page (daily, weekly, etc). For a time mine were not showing up in any regular pattern (I'd get it one day and then not for 4 days,etc even though it was supposed to populate daily). It is possible that this is the case here. If not then LE can get the records pulled and see where they are coming from.

IT is able to automatically post. I looked it up. SHe probably subscribed to it.

I am sorry that you are unable to get the link to work. Maybe his profile is set to private and only "friends" can view. Am I allowed to post that screen shot on here? If so, I will. And, I use that same horoscope app and will try an experiment. Usually, I post manually. So, I just "allowed it to post" to my wall daily (it didn't give me any other options.) I will see if it works and if it skips days. Your theory may be correct. And, maybe I got excited over nothing. Hopefully, the LE is spending as much time as we are on this case! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona