Found Deceased MI - Venus Stewart, 32, Colon, 28 April 2010 - # 4 *D. Stewart guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long was it from the time that she disappeared, to the time that the neighbor called about the truck? When did MSP go out and take the tire tread marks from the location?

Then why are there quotes from the police that everyone in the home was asleep? That's confusing to me. And it is significant if the kids were awake.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/police_searching_for_missing_w.html

Risko said Venus Stewart formerly lived in Newport News but had moved back to Michigan where she was living with her parents and children.

He said Venus Stewart’s father and children were asleep at the house in Colon Township at the time that she is believed to have been abducted.

The lieutenant declined to say Monday what information police have that leads them to believe that Venus Stewart did not leave her parents’ home willingly.

TM stated that one of the daughter's is an early-riser and was up when she had coffee with VS that morning. LM said on NG that the two kids were making a lot of noise and that's what woke him up and I'm pretty sure he said the kids told him, "MOMMY WENT OUTSIDE"

If the kids were up when "MOMMY WENT OUTSIDE", then they were NOT sleeping as LE has stated. So which is it? And I agree it would be significant...

How long was it from the time that she disappeared, to the time that the neighbor called about the truck? When did MSP go out and take the tire tread marks from the location?

That will be in the affidavit. If we could just get our hands on it.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/missing_st_joseph_county_woman.html

Risko said police have “no reliable information” that Douglas Stewart was in Michigan at the time of his wife’s disappearance. Police today were continuing to ask for assistance from anyone who may have seen Venus Stewart traveling in a silver Mercury sedan with Virginia license plate XNP1453 or silver Dodge Ram with Virginia license plate XNP1301.

Both of the vehicles are registered to Douglas Stewart, Risko said. The lieutenant said that, despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck.

I find this strange, how it's worded, it sounds like they were looking for anyone who had seen her with either of these vehicles...not so much him.

I think the date on the article suggests it contains faulty information? i.e., both vehicles registered to Doug Stewart.

They may both actually be registered to Doug Stewart. My guess is the truck is most likely financed under Venus' name and hence "belongs to" her, maybe she had the better job at the time they bought it or maybe he had a lower credit score at the time, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be registered under her husband's name for license and registration purposes, especially if they already had plates and insurance for the other vehicle, it's likely they would have added the truck to the insurance policy already in place for a multi-vehicle discount and registered it under him. IMO

Plus, these were direct quotes from Risko at MSP...Both of the vehicles are registered to Douglas Stewart, Risko said. The lieutenant said that, despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck.

Fwiw and I understand that everyone has bias, but I don't have a dog in this fight ( so to speak ), except, as someone has mentioned, the hope that Venus is still alive and found that way and that the truth is revealed--sooner rather than later.

That said, why is Doug in Michigan all of sudden? Sure, he says it's to be near his children, but it sounds like he doesn't have access to them and they might actually be in hiding?

I might be among the minority here, but I still hold out hope that Venus is alive and that if Doug was involved in her abduction, he did not go so far as to commit murder. (It's not conclusive of anything but perhaps indicative of someone not of a mind to possess lethal weapons that there are no guns (or knives?) listed on the inventory of the search warrants--they would've known about and likely seized any registered weapons Doug possessed, and any unregistered firearms would also have been seized (and Doug arrested for possessing)).

Also, does anyone know if any search warrants were issued in Michigan, perhaps for family/friends of Doug?

Back to the point of Doug returning to Michigan post-haste--if Venus was abducted and Doug was involved in Venus' abduction and Doug and perhaps any accomplices were not the sort to commit murder, it's possible that Doug returned to Michigan to be nearer his captive?

I hope the MSP have GPS trackers on any vehicle Doug has access to but even that isn't foolproof. And there's no way the MSP or any law enforcement agency has the resources to have Doug tailed by actual officers 24/7.

So maybe/possibly Doug and his accomplices abducted Venus and then took her somewhere and Doug is up here to make sure she doesn't get away, keep on eye on the situation etc?

THIS IS ALL SPECULATION!

In Michigan, something like 90% of the population lives below US 10, which means there are endless acres in the Northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula to disappear into.

However, going back and forth between St Joseph County and upper Michigan would likely take too much time and attract the attention of LE.

So, if it is an on-going abduction/kidnapping situation, I'd think Venus is within a reasonable, sneak out and sneak back home distance of where Doug is currently staying.

That's all.

Plus, these were direct quotes from Risko at MSP...Both of the vehicles are registered to Douglas Stewart, Risko said. The lieutenant said that, despite locating Douglas Stewart, police have yet to find the car or pickup truck.

Unless I'm misreading the dateline on that article, that article is from Tuesday, April 27th, 2:44 pm? Before the police had located either vehicle? So its information is out of date? If that article is NOT out of date, it's very interesting.

Unless I'm misreading the dateline on that article, that article is from Tuesday, April 27th, 2:44 pm? Before the police had located either vehicle? So its information is out of date? If that article is NOT out of date, it's very interesting.

I thought I should go back and re-read some of the first articles a little more carefully...and what the LE was actually saying...that's all. I'm sure it wasn't false information.

snipped
Back to the point of Doug returning to Michigan post-haste--if Venus was abducted and Doug was involved in Venus' abduction and Doug and perhaps any accomplices were not the sort to commit murder, it's possible that Doug returned to Michigan to be nearer his captive?

snipped

That's all.

Respectfully snipped to address.

I had not thought of that at all. It could make some sense of him relocating. And it gives me hope that she could be alive. I can see him being so mad about the most recent allegations of abuse towards their daughter, that he's want her alive to torture her mentally and physically. Now after typing that I'm not sure if I'd want her alive and tortured. iykwim? And you know if he wanted to be near his kids during this difficult time then why wouldn't he just take vacation time from work and deal w/ his wife's disappearance then return to his established life in VA. I just don't understand the immediate job transfer.

Fwiw and I understand that everyone has bias, but I don't have a dog in this fight ( so to speak ), except, as someone has mentioned, the hope that Venus is still alive and found that way and that the truth is revealed--sooner rather than later.

That said, why is Doug in Michigan all of sudden? Sure, he says it's to be near his children, but it sounds like he doesn't have access to them and they might actually be in hiding?

I have tried to reason that out from both sides of equation. He is either guilty or innocent. Right?

There have been a few who have stated that he must be a sick individual to go back to Michigan and to continue to call his children. If he is guilty, then yes, I'd agree, it would take someone who is off kilter to do those things, and to put himself voluntarily, right in the middle of the area where this happened when he was all cozied up in his apartment several states away and would have bought himself some extra time through extradition if he was to end up being arrested in Virginia.

There is the other side of the coin...and though it's difficult to put yourself in someone else's shoes, I've tried to think about what if he really didn't do this?
It makes perfect sense to come back to Michigan, surround himself with his family, have easy access to his lawyer and to continue to follow his court ordered instructions with his kids, even if the kids are in hiding or the parents prevent him from talking to them. If he did not continue to try to contact his children, he could be accused later of being negligent or not caring or worse, not in compliance with his court ordered visitation, which could affect him down the road to gain custody of them if he is cleared in the case and someone tries to keep the children from him.

We also don't know whether he was in the process of getting ready to return to Michigan anyways prior to all of this...it would be interesting to know if he had requested a transfer with his employer prior to the disappearance or if it was afterwards. If he is innocent (and I know that's not a popular IF) it would not be out of line to call the news and tell them what he told them the other day, that he is home, that nothing is more important in VA than what is going on in MI, that LE knows where he is, and that if they want him to turn himself in, he will do so, but that he is confident that will not happen.

It's tough to imagine what anyone would do in either situation.

This whole thing stinks to high heaven...I'm really frustrated that we only know so little of what's going...but my Ripley's Believe It or Not meter has been going off for a while on this one...

I might be among the minority here, but I still hold out hope that Venus is alive and that if Doug was involved in her abduction, he did not go so far as to commit murder. (It's not conclusive of anything but perhaps indicative of someone not of a mind to possess lethal weapons that there are no guns (or knives?) listed on the inventory of the search warrants--they would've known about and likely seized any registered weapons Doug possessed, and any unregistered firearms would also have been seized (and Doug arrested for possessing)).

Also, does anyone know if any search warrants were issued in Michigan, perhaps for family/friends of Doug?

I hope the MSP have GPS trackers on any vehicle Doug has access to but even that isn't foolproof. And there's no way the MSP or any law enforcement agency has the resources to have Doug tailed by actual officers 24/7.

So maybe/possibly Doug and his accomplices abducted Venus and then took her somewhere and Doug is up here to make sure she doesn't get away, keep on eye on the situation etc?

THIS IS ALL SPECULATION!

In Michigan, something like 90% of the population lives below US 10, which means there are endless acres in the Northern Lower Peninsula and the Upper Peninsula to disappear into.

However, going back and forth between St Joseph County and upper Michigan would likely take too much time and attract the attention of LE.

So, if it is an on-going abduction/kidnapping situation, I'd think Venus is within a reasonable, sneak out and sneak back home distance of where Doug is currently staying.

That's all.

Good points about no weapons being seized. A lot of ex-marines would tend to have service pistols, or other weaponry around...I wonder if he is or was active in the National Guard?

They may both actually be registered to Doug Stewart. My guess is the truck is most likely financed under Venus' name and hence "belongs to" her, maybe she had the better job at the time they bought it or maybe he had a lower credit score at the time, but that doesn't mean that it couldn't be registered under her husband's name for license and registration purposes, especially if they already had plates and insurance for the other vehicle, it's likely they would have added the truck to the insurance policy already in place for a multi-vehicle discount and registered it under him. IMO

The only direct quotes from Risko in the article you seem to be referencing (you didn't provide a link - I'm looking at your link in your previous post) are:

- “We’re hoping for the best that she turns up alive and well,” said Lt. Mike Risko of the Michigan State Police post in White Pigeon. “We still don’t think she left on her own free will.”

- “no reliable information”

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/missing_st_joseph_county_woman.html

If that's not the article you're referencing, then provide a link to the article in which the direct quotes from LE (Risko) you claim to exist are.

The only direct quotes from Risko in the article you seem to be referencing (you didn't provide a link - I'm looking at your link in your previous post) are:

- “We’re hoping for the best that she turns up alive and well,” said Lt. Mike Risko of the Michigan State Police post in White Pigeon. “We still don’t think she left on her own free will.”

- “no reliable information”

If that's not the article you're referencing, then provide a link to the article in which the direct quotes from LE (Risko) you claim to exist are.

Fair enough, then they were statements attributed to Risko in the article. My apology.

Doug doesn't only say it's his children, in fact, he stated his children secondarily to what's going on in Michigan.

So, since what's going on in Michigan is more important to Doug, what is it about that that has compelled Doug to move back there do you think?

On Thursday, Douglas Stewart actually called Newschannel 3 and told us “I am back in Michigan. I am back at home, there's nothing in Virginia more important than what's going on here, and my children.”

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/margin-1376532-bottom-newschannel.html

Fair enough, then they were statements attributed to Risko in the article. My apology.

No problem. It's important that we look carefully at, and distinguish between, direct quotes and what a reporter says that someone says.

Reporters are often in a rush to meet a deadline, may not have listened or taken notes as carefully as we would like them to, use their own interpretation and wording, vary in their skill with understanding and using language and words appropriately, etc, etc, etc. Some are better than others, ya know? And they're human and they make mistakes.

I'm a quote nut lol.

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2010/04/police_searching_for_missing_w.html

Risko said Venus Stewart formerly lived in Newport News but had moved back to Michigan where she was living with her parents and children.

He said Venus Stewart’s father and children were asleep at the house in Colon Township at the time that she is believed to have been abducted.

The lieutenant declined to say Monday what information police have that leads them to believe that Venus Stewart did not leave her parents’ home willingly.

TM stated that one of the daughter's is an early-riser and was up when she had coffee with VS that morning. LM said on NG that the two kids were making a lot of noise and that's what woke him up and I'm pretty sure he said the kids told him, "MOMMY WENT OUTSIDE"

If the kids were up when "MOMMY WENT OUTSIDE", then they were NOT sleeping as LE has stated. So which is it? And I agree it would be significant...

Looks like the reporter stated that, not LE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tici