Casey's hair & court attire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about Florida, but in Cali defendants have the right to be presentable. They do have full salons in prison....I don't know about jail.....if you look at several male trials, you'll see that they clean them up for their court appearances....shaves, hair cuts, etc., wish I could remember the most recent one where the defendant was heavily bearded with long scraggly hair......he was in custody and arrived in court looking entirely different......short hair, business suit, clean shaved.....they must have to provide the same services for women because their presentation is part of their defense....FWIW

One of the first ones I thought of was Melissa Huckaby in the Sandra Cantu case. She was transformed into a different person the way her hair had been cut and styled, almost unrecognizable, at her appearance in court.

There are a lot of things about this case that really bother me and have given me many restless nights, but Casey's hair is not one of them.

One of the first ones I thought of was Melissa Huckaby in the Sandra Cantu case. She was transformed into a different person the way her hair had been cut and styled, almost unrecognizable, at her appearance in court.

True -- Melissa didn't seem to get ANY special treatment like ICA. Do you think it was because she pled guilty for the horrendous crime. Now color me crazy, but if you plead guilty I'd be happy to give you a new hair-do. If you drive me crazy with your antics like ICA -- you shouldn't get anything.

jmo

Mel

Well, I know we seem pretty backwoods here in Florida, but so far no one has overrun the courthouse with pitchforks and torches.

In the eyes of the court, she is innocent, until a jury finds her guilty. She has the right to present herself in a way that is presentable. A dirty, unkempt look might make her "appear" to be guilty.

Now if she showed up with an expensive, amazing looking haircut, or a perm or highlights, I'd be pizzed, but so far it doesn't seem too over-the-top.

JMO. I understand your anger, I really do, but I also believe in the law and the rights that our country has fought for.

No, they certainly do not have a "right" to appear a certain way. The jail officials may be nice enough to let her, but it's a privilege...and a very indulgent one at that. I don't think anyone was ever fighting for the ability of an "accused" child murderer to be able to wear ruffles and get a perm.

My suggestion is to give her some febreeze and napkins and let her clean herself like she cleaned the trunk (oh ok maybe not)...

BBM: Now THAT was funny :)

I'm bummed that I'm on unemployment (not being paid anymore of course - thanks Congress). But getting my hair done is a luxury I cannot afford. Yet, heres ICA getting her hair done compliments of the state.

Something seems so wrong about that!

MOO

Mel

She's also getting free health and dental care, and she will probably be able to get her HS diploma and higher education in jail. Unless she gets the all expenses paid vacation in the sky of course..

Oh let her have her pretty hair - it's all she's got left at this point. Still, I think what riles me up is the thought that SHE has a stylist while all I can afford is SuperCuts a few times a year. It also lends to her thinking of herself as a celebrity - see? I have a stylist! Look at me!

I mean what next, is she going to have an entourage, a publicist, an agent? Oh wait, that's her defense team...

Besides, I can just hear a criminal in LWOP, once she finally gets there, saying, "You sure have purty hair, Casey..." Yep, she'll be cutting it off quickly then!

She's also getting free health and dental care, and she will probably be able to get her HS diploma and higher education in jail. Unless she gets the all expenses paid vacation in the sky of course..

Yah, while I pay $500 a month for a family of 3 for crappy health care. Nope, dental not included. In this economy, do you know how many people are suffering, but KC is not. Here I sit in 90 degrees (in the house) because I can't afford AC, but KC is probably cool as a cucumber. She's probably eating better than my family. Since when did jail become such a privilidge and not a punishment. I know, innocent until proven guilty -- but she was arrested as the sole "alleged" killer of Caylee. I'm sorry, but I'm not seeing much punishment here. My thought still goes back to JB keeping her in jail as long as possible, and delaying the trial as long as possible, because he knows where she's going.

Just my opinion.

Mel

I am amazed that it has taken this long before we got a thread solely devoted to the inmates hair.

Bringing this over from the hearing thread:

I once saw on an episode of Locked Up where stylists volunteered their time and materials to do the hair of inmates. I guess it's different than what IS is implying but, inmates can and do receive some volunteered services.

years ago i held aa meetings in the small county jail, near my home.

i will never forget the sight of a few of the women who would

attend wearing their hair rolled around tampax! :eek:

I noticed at the last hearing that her hair didn't look as greasy as it usually does. I also noticed it had a wave to it as well. People get crafty in jail/prison though and I've heard that a lot of female inmates use tampons as hair rollers to curl their hair. I just assumed she was finally learning some jail house hair tricks.

You beat me to it. Went to give the kiddos a bath and forgot to hit reply but I was thinking the same thing.

I was watching InSession this afternoon when one of the guests made the statement that KC was able to get her hair done free at the jail. I was completely taken aback by this until I decided that he didn't know what the heck he was talking about. If this were true, why was she attending so many hearings with her hair dripping grease. It's only recently that her hair looks clean. The guest (I can't remember his name) said this with so much authority and confidence that I am sure that many viewers took this information as gospel. I didn't.

I remember this case !!!
NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla., Dec. 9, 2009 Neo-Nazi Murder Suspect Gets Court Cover up

Fla. Judge Rules State Must Pay for Cosmetologist to Apply Makeup to Hide Offensive Tattoos on Man on Trial for Murder

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/09/national/main5951503.shtml

AP)
John Allen Ditullio is a walking billboard for the neo-Nazi movement: a large 6-inch swastika tattooed under his right ear, barbed wire inked down the right side of his face, and an extreme and very personal vulgarity scrawled on one side of his neck.

Jurors will never see any of it. A judge has ruled that the state must pay a cosmetologist up to $150 a day during Ditullio's trial on murder and attempted murder charges and apply makeup to cover up the black ink.

Judge Michael Andrews, acting on a request by Ditullio's lawyer, ruled that the tattoos are potentially offensive and could influence a jury's opinion in the state's death penalty case against the 23-year-old accused of donning a gas mask, breaking into a neighbor's home and stabbing two people, killing one of them.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I remember that one, too, GetSmart!

I understand looking presentable for court, but having their hair and makeup "done" - presumably on the taxpayers dollar - is just wrong. It's really a shame when persons in jail seem to have more luxuries than those of us honest, hard-working people.

Now see - that's some inventive thinking :) And they probably had to buy them from their own pocket. I like it!

Someone should send KC a big ol' box and say "for your hair-do".

Just kidding...

Mel

On TruTv right now there is a case where the female defendant made a motion prior to trial to be able to apply makeup prior to entering the courtroom each day. Her request was granted.

During a discussion of this - someone on the TV show mentioned that Casey Anthony had obtained special permission to "have her hair done" prior to each of her court appearances. Has anyone else ever heard of this in regard to the Anthony case?

This discussion would have taken place yesterday on either TrueTV, JVM Issues, Nancy Grace show or the Joy Behar Show. Anyone else here catch this?

And what exactly I wonder would "get your hair done" mean while you are in jail? There's a beauty salon? How DO prisoners get their hair cut in the local county jail, if anyone knows? Presumably everyone gets to look decent and well-groomed when they go to court?

Don't know anything about Casey and her hair but the girl that was given permission to put makeup on before she appears in court each day was also told by the judge...you can put your makeup on but you will not have access to a mirror! Good luck girl in applying it without a mirror.

Besides, I can just hear a criminal in LWOP, once she finally gets there, saying, "You sure have purty hair, Casey..." Yep, she'll be cutting it off quickly then!

Rofl. That would be the only reason I would want this defendent to get LWOP is so she can get out of PC.

"Now come sit on big mama's lap", says the inmate with a gruff manly voice.

I remember this case !!!
NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla., Dec. 9, 2009 Neo-Nazi Murder Suspect Gets Court Cover up

Fla. Judge Rules State Must Pay for Cosmetologist to Apply Makeup to Hide Offensive Tattoos on Man on Trial for Murder

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/12/09/national/main5951503.shtml

AP)
John Allen Ditullio is a walking billboard for the neo-Nazi movement: a large 6-inch swastika tattooed under his right ear, barbed wire inked down the right side of his face, and an extreme and very personal vulgarity scrawled on one side of his neck.

Jurors will never see any of it. A judge has ruled that the state must pay a cosmetologist up to $150 a day during Ditullio's trial on murder and attempted murder charges and apply makeup to cover up the black ink.

Judge Michael Andrews, acting on a request by Ditullio's lawyer, ruled that the tattoos are potentially offensive and could influence a jury's opinion in the state's death penalty case against the 23-year-old accused of donning a gas mask, breaking into a neighbor's home and stabbing two people, killing one of them.
:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Wow, just.... wow.

It is incredible how far we have come and still manage to sink so low. :furious:

I was watching InSession this afternoon when one of the guests made the statement that KC was able to get her hair done free at the jail. I was completely taken aback by this until I decided that he didn't know what the heck he was talking about. If this were true, why was she attending so many hearings with her hair dripping grease. It's only recently that her hair looks clean. The guest (I can't remember his name) said this with so much authority and confidence that I am sure that many viewers took this information as gospel. I didn't.

I know a girl who was a cosmetology student at our county's junior tech collage. She said they sent the freshman students to the county jail and let them do the hair for the woman in the jail who wanted their hair done for free in order to have beginning heads to practice on. Maybe Orlando does the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value