$350,000 retainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do we (the collective of all members at WS, each of whom is free to express their own individual opinion) know it was an exaggeration versus a typo? I don't think I got that memo.

The post you were responding to by Aedrys said we know the text said 350,000, but it said Aedrys thinks it was an exaggeration vs a typo.

We don't really know Terri sent a text saying she had paid Houze $350K. She could have sent a text saying this is going to cost $350K. Important distinction. Cook could have asked her how much she paid, and she could have replied with one too many zeros. Most people I know do not text using correct grammar or punctuation.

Or, she could have lied, but it's clear to me that however Kaine and his lawyer came up with that figure, they were either mistaken or misled. Bunch stated $350K was grossly misstated, meaning Terri did not pay Houze $350K.

The post you were responding to by Aedrys said we know the text said 350,000, but it said Aedrys thinks it was an exaggeration vs a typo.

Actually, if you follow the posts back a few to what the poster I was addressing was referring to, you'll see where the 'we know' came from.

The poster certainly seemed to be following the conversation, and know what I was referring to.

Actually, if you follow the posts back a few to what the poster I was addressing was referring to, you'll see where the 'we know' came from.

The poster certainly seemed to be following the conversation, and know what I was referring to.

Just keeping the record clear for everybody who reads.

I'm closing this thread. If someone has a problem with rumors, they need to use the alert button.

The retainer is already being discussed here --------> [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110501"]2010.07.28 TH's Lwyr asks for abatement of Divorce proceedings(more) - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame]

http://www.kgw.com/news/Kyron-Hormans-step-mom-Terri-wont-contest-divorce-from-Kaine-99500504.html

The father of missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman wants to know how his estranged wife is paying for her legal costs.
A court set an August 25 hearing date on a motion filed by Kaine Horman to find out how Terri Moulton-Horman is paying a reported $350,000 for criminal defense attorney Stephen Houze.

Thanks for the thread nurse. Maybe Terri will be locked up long before this hearing date arrives. JMO.

Interesting the person she told about the 350K is M. Cook. according to this article. I hadn't seen that confirmed before now. Of course it doesn't say who the source is.

Interesting the person she told about the 350K is M. Cook. according to this article. I hadn't seen that confirmed before now. Of course it doesn't say who the source is.

So did she tell him this back in sexting days? Methinks were I Terri, I would assume at this point that anything sent to him is relayed to LE and eventually Kaine... actually I'd have assumed that back when the first article hit that he was sharing the contents of his phone with LE and denying he'd slept with her.

I guess if she retained her attorney at the end of June (he confirmed it on the 30th?) was that before sextgate? I think so.

350k for an attorney....

If that is the cases, and not an exaggeration by Terri Horman (tryin' to be a big shot, or something, I dunno!) then I need to take my law school plans back off the shelf.

I don't know why, but after he filed for the R/O and divorce, I keep thinking that whatever cash she acquired after that date, is no longer his concern.. and vice versa.

I was thinking that she probably got a loan or gift from family/friends to pay for her lawyer. So either way, loan/gift wouldn't mean he would be entitled to it, I would think.. since she retained him after the crap hit the fan.

I've heard others say she may have sold her story rights, I guess that is possible, but I just don't see her as being that dumb... After all the things that have been said or written about her, I don't see why she would want the word GREEDY attached also.

I could be wrong of course! Wouldn't be the first time.. (but possibly the second) :p

So did she tell him this back in sexting days? Methinks were I Terri, I would assume at this point that anything sent to him is relayed to LE and eventually Kaine... actually I'd have assumed that back when the first article hit that he was sharing the contents of his phone with LE and denying he'd slept with her.

I guess if she retained her attorney at the end of June (he confirmed it on the 30th?) was that before sextgate? I think so.

I believe the sting and Kaine leaving with their daughter all happened in the same evening... Saturday, June 26

I believe the sting and Kaine leaving with their daughter all happened in the same evening... Saturday, June 26

350,000 dollars as a retainer fee ??? I don't believe that's an accurate figure at all...

All JMO

350,000 dollars as a retainer fee ??? I don't believe that's an accurate figure at all...

All JMO

Apparently, his rates have gone up since last year. Or maybe this is just a really, really difficult case?

A fellow lawyer tells WW that based on jail records obtained as part of another case, Houze last year told a potential client the amount he would charge as a retainer was $250,000. If so, it would easily make Houze one of Portland’s most expensive criminal-defense lawyers.

http://wweek.com/editorial/3636/14268/

eta: or maybe th texted a typo, and meant his going rate of $250k

All JMO

I have heard of attorneys that can charge that and more but I just have a problem of where the $ came from.

IIRC the communication was in a text so maybe she added too many zeros. But on the flipside I believe $35,000 would be too a low retainer for this type of high profile case with the potential charges that may ultimately be charged.

So in this case it very well may be correct and where did the $ come from?
I do not blame Kaine one bit for wanting to know as well.

jmho

It seems like at least one attorney somewhere would do it for free... being that it would come with priceless publicity.

But anywho, I also agree that the "350,000" is not accurate. I think she may been exaggerating...

I would love to know who paid the 350,000 or even close to it...Because who ever paid it don't wan't info getting out...JMO

I am just waiting with baited breath for this date, and hoping Houze/TH have to say *something*.

I really want to get a read on Terri. It might put my mind at ease if I get some sense of guilt from her, or how Houze represents her.

At the end of the article:

Reliable sources told KGW that investigators said there was probable cause to arrest Terri in connection with Kyron's disappearance, and for soliciting someone to kill her husband, but the choice has been for the investigation to continue.

I don't really get that, to be honest (maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but it's in the same article) - they make it sound like an arrest would preclude further investigation? Or maybe it would shorten the time they had to continue investigating? Weirdly stated.

I don't really get that, to be honest (maybe this isn't the right thread for it, but it's in the same article) - they make it sound like an arrest would preclude further investigation? Or maybe it would shorten the time they had to continue investigating? Weirdly stated.

I suppose it means they would have to charge their arrestee and proceed to the trial within a certain period of time if they make an arrest and they may not want to do that if there is still some evidence that they hope to collect, like Kyron for example.

Nah, I think they're saying that continuing to investigate before making an arrest might yield more evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz