Notifying Other Government Entities - From Sheriff at Presser, Sept.15/10

You can type any address in this Crimemapper, and see all the incidents and breakdowns on crimes, and types of crimes, surrounding that location. It also lists sexual offender locations.

It looks to be an extremely useful tool.

Crimemapper Tool:

http://www.gis.ci.portland.or.us/maps/police/

"There may be cases that come out of this, but through the discussion, there are going to be issues that the sheriff's office is going to have to address.

I believe the Portland Police Bureau will be actively involved in that.

A lot of these issues we won't address until we actually do a debrief on this investigation once it's come to a conclusion."

Might this answer the questions as to why Terri has not yet been charged with the MFH or even other possible crimes? Will these cases have to wait until the conclusion of this one? Perhaps they cannot deal with the issues in those crimes until this case or something bigger comes to fruition.

I agree with Thought Fox. I think there is something bigger here...and we will be "surprised" when the whole picture is revealed.

Sounds like PPB stepped on MCSO, the reason for the quick press conference to begin with?

I suspect and this is my opinin only, that TH pointed to others such as the LS and they followed those leads, when in reality it was TH alone responsible.

Now as a result they may have discovered illegal immigrants, illegal pot growing for those who do not have a permit, maybe money laundering and possibly other things.

He did not sound absolutely sure that some of these will happen to me.

Hi Tiredblondy, Your post brought to mind the Hispanic man involved in a work related way with the LS who was arrested and then sent down to the Federal prison in Sheridan. I wonder if he is still being held there?

If he were being held on a drug charge he would have already been through the court process and transferred down to New Mexico or Az to serve his time. I don't think he has gone to court on charges so it is kind of unusual, if he is still there.

Sheridan's security is so 'fine' that is where McDonald is incarcerated. He's the Dr who murdered his wife in Fl I believe. And because of that top notch security, Sheridan is often used to hold prisoners when time might be longer due to a case being worked on, before arrests are made. Unusual, yes. If he were involved with a crime that included an upcoming Federal charge, it would make a lot of sense to me as to why they put this guy there in Sheridan.

I knew a guy who was sent there on a similar type deal.

I think he's just referring to improving investigative procedures and communication between agencies and public safety (ie) better security in schools. I really don't think it's anything more than that. Maybe they discovered a couple of corrupt people or that Terri discussed MFH plots with more lanscapers. Nothing earth-shattering IMO.

the crime map and crimemapper tool that wonder posted are brilliant (thanks Wonder!)

I wish we had those where I live

Around here, when a local police or sheriff's office talks about "notifying" another agency, they typically mean their local investigation has uncovered evidence pointing to a federal crime that doesn't have any local implications, and they'll notify the appropriate federal law enforcement branch, who then takes over and decides whether there's a case. Typically that will be ICE for immigration issues, AFT for firearms (gun-running happens here...), IRS for tax evasion, SEC for stock manipulation, etc. etc. etc. It could be almost anything.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

snipped:

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that, ultimately, when this investigation is over with, we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation — everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete — the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that — that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

Is he talking about the school's new changes in security measures or something else?

I wonder what he means by that statement I put in red?
Internally? What would they need to change "internally" that would protect our children? Obviously something they're not doing now.?

I think he's just referring to improving investigative procedures and communication between agencies and public safety (ie) better security in schools. I really don't think it's anything more than that. Maybe they discovered a couple of corrupt people or that Terri discussed MFH plots with more lanscapers. Nothing earth-shattering IMO.

I think you're right and that the comments he made about he and his staff having to learn 'disturbing' information is a completely separate point. I think because the two comments from the LE are so close together, I kind of lumped them together as a whole.

Procedures are one issue (I'm guessing - sharing information across agencies) and disturbing information was gathered during the investigation.

The Sheriff at Mutnomah County raised some serious questions for me, in the presser on September 15, 2010.

The Agencies Involved
(Sheriff states he doesn't want to miss anybody at apx. 9 minutes into presser).

-30% Mutnomah County
-FBI
-Portland Police Bureau
-Port Police
-Fairview Police Dept.
-Troutdale Police Dep.

http://www.kptv.com/local-video/index.html?grabnetworks_video_id=4339424

Abbreviated and BBM. This is really bugging me. Why did he single out Fairview and Troutdale PDs when listing the agencies involved in the task force? (Portland PD seems obvious to me, as the abduction would have occurred within Portland city limits.) There are several townships within Multnomah County, so maybe he's just tapping resources from all of them, but if that's the case, why not mention the others? Gresham, for example, which is quite a bit larger. Or is there some other reason he singled these out? They are quite far away from the Skyline area. I've searched around on Websleuths looking for answers or suggestions but haven't found them (perhaps I've overlooked it, though!). :waitasec: What are your thoughts?

In such a case as this, which has been described as largest in state history, lots of stuff probably came to MCSO's attention, as far as bad policies, regulations not being followed, chain of command stuff, small-time crimes they can refer back to the local cops, people with outstanding warrants, procedures needing updating, lack of follow-up in some agencies re: child welfare, etc...none of it may be directly related to the case at hand, i.e. what happened to Kyron, but may be indirectly related as far as knowing how to better start a case like this in the future...
Perhaps.
I am really tired of guessing what anyone means in this case.

BBM Read in that full context, it could either be there was a breakdown with communication, policies or procedures within the LE or information on drug/sex/*advertiser censored* trafficking developing to a greater extent than they ever realized here in America? The part where he says "whether it's going to turn into an investigation and/or notification process..." sounds more like procedural revamping - like one agency having access to another's work, politics at play. Oh gosh, who knows. I need more caffeine!

I think you and others that have weighed in towards the end of this thread are dead on. It's pretty obvious that his unnecessarily cryptic references are to some sort of LE procedural or policy issues and not information relating to any crime or any individuals in the Kyron investigation. Can you really imagine an elected Sheriff saying to the press that he's going to sit on information regarding criminal activity until some indeterminate point in the future when he gets a chance to reflect on it and share it with the appropriate agencies?

I just don't know how he could tell the public that he's scaling back the investigation to a matter of about 12 people (all the while objecting to the term scaling back, though how he can avoid it when he goes on to describe the hundreds of men and women, and thousands of personnel hours and over $1M dollars) without thanking the agencies he has had contact with in order to chase down leads or tips, etc etc. The smaller task force will definitely focus, and draw from the agencies still represented by membership to that task force.

I think it would have been better to regretfully speak of how the natural flow of the case leads it to being scaled down and not worry about the fact that it will upset some people that the natural course of events takes it to that place. Like taking Kyron off the roll at school, it is another sad milestone that has to be traveled.

And so we move forward.

Does this then mean that we are unlikely to find out what happened to Kyron ? Does it mean they don't know if he is alive? I am thoroughly confused & getting despondent !

Does this then mean that we are unlikely to find out what happened to Kyron ? Does it mean they don't know if he is alive? I am thoroughly confused & getting despondent !

Schmerty, here's what it means to me.

In the beginning of the investigation, investigators had to do a 360-degree look at every possibility. As the investigation went on, it became evident that they could exclude many possibilities, which narrowed their focus. As the Sheriff said, some things that they suspected early on, they no longer suspect.

The focus of the investigation has narrowed to the single possibility, the single suspect, and I believe that they have a lot of evidence against that person. That person most likely tried to cover her tracks very well, so it's taking time to unravel the case, to deconstruct exactly what happened.

They aren't as much in the evidence gathering phase anymore, as far as gathering huge volumes of disparate tips and such, and are focused on the most plausible explanation for Kyron's disappearance.

So now they don't need the huge body of investigators that they had before, because they are more focused and the picture of what happened to Kyron has become clearer.

It's like writing a thesis. In the beginning, you gather reams of info, research it all, make notes, and exclude the things that have nothing to do with the topic. Then you move into the writing phase, where you begin to compile the research into a thesis that explains the topic. It takes laser-like focus to write a thesis. Research, not so much.

I believe that investigators are in the process of "constructing the thesis" now. And it doesn't take 25 investigators to do this. I'm sure if some new details come in, then they will look into them. But I believe that investigators have a good body of evidence and a clear idea of what happened to Kyron... they're in the process now of constructing an unimpeachable case.

My opinion.

I'm wondering out loud if part of this is how the alleged MFH plot was handled. I never got the warm fuzzies that correct procedures were followed when the undercover detective and the landscaper met with TH.

JMOO

"A number of things that we suspected and a number of things that we targeted early in the investigation, we no longer suspect or target'

This could mean anything really! It doesn't to me necessarily mean TH in regards to the case, it could also mean other people they thought could be suspect in some way related to the case? They, LE ,may now have other person/s that might well be being looked at from what they have found in their investigation, as they have delved further into this. I guess we will have to wait until we hear more from LE as in factual evidence.

In the beginning of the investigation, investigators had to do a 360-degree look at every possibility. As the investigation went on, it became evident that they could exclude many possibilities, which narrowed their focus. As the Sheriff said, some things that they suspected early on, they no longer suspect.

The focus of the investigation has narrowed to the single possibility, the single suspect, and I believe that they have a lot of evidence against that person. That person most likely tried to cover her tracks very well, so it's taking time to unravel the case, to deconstruct exactly what happened.

They aren't as much in the evidence gathering phase anymore, as far as gathering huge volumes of disparate tips and such, and are focused on the most plausible explanation for Kyron's disappearance.

So now they don't need the huge body of investigators that they had before, because they are more focused and the picture of what happened to Kyron has become clearer.

It's like writing a thesis. In the beginning, you gather reams of info, research it all, make notes, and exclude the things that have nothing to do with the topic. Then you move into the writing phase, where you begin to compile the research into a thesis that explains the topic. It takes laser-like focus to write a thesis. Research, not so much.

I believe that investigators are in the process of "constructing the thesis" now. And it doesn't take 25 investigators to do this. I'm sure if some new details come in, then they will look into them. But I believe that investigators have a good body of evidence and a clear idea of what happened to Kyron... they're in the process now of constructing an unimpeachable case.

My opinion.

That was very well written pufnstuf and I think you are correct in your analysis.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/07/kyron_horman_investigation_tra.html

**BBM**

Jung: "What else could you say to reassure the public that this truly is not a serial, that there isn't a general public threat considering there's no evidence one way or the other it sounds like?"

Staton: "What I would tell you right at this point is that if I was led to believe during the course of this investigation that this was an issue that parents needed to be concerned with, the school districts needed to be concerned with, that our law enforcement community needed to be concerned with, you'd be hearing that from me right now sitting at this table that we have got a situation and everybody needs to be aware of it and we need to start building in the appropriate precautions.

"What I can say is that, ultimately, when this investigation is over with, we will be doing a post-study on this entire investigation — everybody's involvement, across the board. And we will be able to identify those things that we personally can improve on but we can also identify what I believe would be the weaknesses that may have or could have attributed to this. Those are the things that come out of a post-evaluation on this type of a thing. And this is something that once that's complete — the public will be actively involved, obviously your paper will be actively involved in that — that information needs to go out because if there are concerns, I think we as a community, our public officials need to start making adjustments internally to protect our children."

Mather: "Is that post-study routine for every investigation or is just for something as large as this is?"

Staton: "No, we do that after every investigation. There is a post-study that is done so that we can identify any potential improvements that we can make during the course of an investigation so that if it happens again. I can tell you right now that in my entire career, everything that's ever come up out of a post we've never come out of it where they've said or we've decided that everything ran perfectly. There's always been something we can improve on and I don't think you're ever going to come across there where you say 'Yeah, we've covered everything.' We always end up coming up with developing something that's going to add what we do in our investigations, our searches, and we're going to continue to do that."

It was an odd statement the first time I heard it and it is an odd statement now that I read it. The way he phrases it, the post-study of the investigation that they do routinely doesn't seem to have anything to do with whether or not this is a serial crime or not so I'm not sure why he brings it up here. I'm tempted to think he went on about it simply because he wanted to change the subject from the reasons that they thought this wasn't serial.

My opinion.

Pufnstuf, You are not only smart, you are kind!:blowkiss: I couldn't figure out their process & really was starting to think the worst. Thank you for explaining it so well . I'm now into "positive thinking"!

Ya know what? I am so very frustrated with all this cryptic talk from LE. They have a 27minute press conference with a whole buttload of what seemed to be information coming out of their mouths. Yet when we look at it, it is so very generalized and UN-detailed that it seems as though there is no info whatsoever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why even call for and have a 27 minute press conference when there is not one thing that can be told but extremely broad and generalized statements compounded on top of completely vague innuendos and tiny, tiny hints throughout that when looked at could mean for all we know that they've found and uncovered Al-Queda cells all over the Oregon area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean WTF!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really? Does anyone understand? Or is it all just guessing which just leads me back to why in the hell even have the 27 minute press conference?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishman
Back