State v Bradley Cooper 4-13-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on FullDisclosure...give your analysis and notes from today please.

Thanks, I love that quote and it is so true.

I think he should have taken it up in chambers too. He is leaving so much open for appeal on this case, if not outright dismissal if there is a conviction.

Who knows, at this point he may be doing that on purpose.

Just posted a few links on the media links thread if anyone is interested in what the papers have to say without having to hunt down the articles.

No what was argued today was that the defense has the actual drive itself. Defense asked for the output not the procedures. Prosecution is not giving up the procedures nor the output. There is no reason to hide the output other than you don't want the defense and court to see what is there. They are trying to cross with the output created by the FBI which they do not have.

It's like the prosecution said here are all the ingredients make this cake. The recipe is secret and you can't taste the cake but you can ask our bakers questions about our cake but only using your cake as your reference.

Are the cakes the same?

Very well explained and an accurate description of the problem.

But I thought it was said that he 'zoomed' in on the area of Fielding?

Durham police detective assigned to the FBI's Cyber Task Force, said that multiple aerial photos were accessed from Google Maps on Brad Cooper's laptop computer at 1:15 p.m. on July 11, 2008, while he was at work.

"It appears to be from the area of Fielding Drive," Chappell said. "It is my understanding (that’s) where Nancy Cooper's body was found."

http://www.wral.com/specialreports/nancycooper/story/9435025/

He goes on to say that BC was on for only 41 seconds. Do a search yourself, when you first enter in the zipcode it gives you this huge area, you can't even see street names other than major routes, if you just hit the zoom button it takes you in a bit, but it is still a big area, the flag when I do it is on Glen Echo Dr. So if a file is made each time you hit zoom then, yes, probably part of Fielding Drive was in the picture. The first search gives you a big area.

Did you notice that the Pros also got the dective to agree that NC was murdered 12 hours after the google maps search with absolutely no evidence that that happened??

If there is nothing potentially damaging to the prosecution allegation that a web search was done on July 11th and or exculpatory in other ways why are they fighting so hard to keep the data output from the FBI investigation from getting to the defense?

I would like to know that too.

The article I just posted explains that Brad zoomed in on Fielding Drive. And just a few posts back, another poster explained that today's Google searches will not show you what Brad saw in 2008.

They said that the map had to be moved and that they found the zoomed - in tiles of Fielding Drive.

Gotcha.

Nancy's email account did have a password. And it appears Brad knew what that password was. It was likely setup when they first got RR established and the marriage was intact at that time. Whether Nancy ever changed her email password is unknown. Ultimately Brad knew what the password was and he was able to access the email settings on the RR webmail service and secretly add himself to get a forwarded copy of all emails coming in.

Someone might have already cleared this up. While I don't know for sure how this was done in their case, trust me, I DO KNOW this CAN be done, I have set them up this way.

When you set up RR as your ISP, you are given a master account, and a password. Logging in to the self-service website using the master account, you can create sub-account mailboxes. There are parental controls and other features you can do with the various accounts when you are logged in as the master account, including choosing an account and getting the mail server to forward any incoming mail to a different account. It is not hard to do at all.

NC could have changed her password as many times as she liked, and the mail would have kept flowing directly from the mail server to the ghosted account. It was done from the mail server, it had nothing at all to do with her password on her computer or physical access to the computer. NC's computer would not show the messages as being forwarded, because her computer was not forwarding them, they would be sent as a copy from the mail server to the adventuresofbrad account. She would have had no way to know this was happening.

I was there. (Remember that big THUD you heard this afternoon?) It was Fielding Dr.

The witness for this testimony was very well spoken and to the point. He boiled down difficult techo-speak for the jury and made it simple to understand. In a nutshell, Brad had to manipulate the map to get over Fielding Dr. and then zoom in several times. I do NOT think the defense will argue that it is not Fielding Dr.

ETA--The way they showed the "zooming in" was to re-create the search on a clean computer. They went through the steps to see what had to be done to get to that image on google maps. They had it all on a power point presentation.

Did they show exactly what was on Brad's computer, the image? Was there other instances of him looking it up? I have problems with him deciding in 42 seconds where he is going to supposedly dump a body.

Wasn't his search done on 27518 and he was only on google maps for less than 41 seconds?

The 41 seconds is really odd. How on earth could he have zero'd in on this in 41 seconds unless he knew about this spot before. That is confusing.

I can see his point... kinda. But I can also see the prosecution. If the report that is generated by the FBI tool reveals anything that might lead to being able to reverse engineer how it is created (which IMO it does) then it cannot be given in detail. But... if another tool that may or may not do as good a job or whatever is used by the defence it may produce different results. This is one reason I mentioned the whole old version vs. new version thing for MFT.

Very, VERY unfortunately Microsoft does not disclose the format of MFT, nor for that matter NTFS (the format of the bits on the hard drive) to anyone... so from a public's standpoint everything has to be reverse engineered. However, I am quite positive that Federal forensic agencies from around the world have been made privy through non-disclosure agreements to the details of how these bits are ordered and thus the FBI can reconstruct this data with significantly more accuracy.

WOW! Your explanation is comprehensible even for non-techies.

I had JUST finished listenng to the tape of the courtroom motion, responses, and the judge's ultimate...let's go on ruling. And, decided to ask this question: What, in simple terms, are the issues?

THANK YOU!:)

The 41 seconds is really odd. How on earth could he have zero'd in on this in 41 seconds unless he knew about this spot before. That is confusing.

I think BC had already been to the site. He had an entire 2 weeks to spend driving looking for just the right place. Probably was just refreshing his memory...

Fair enough. I have very little experience in how trials work and have had interest in just 2 trials, oj and this trial. The reason for my interest in this trial is that I have very a career that is very much the same as BC, I work in RTP and I have a have a young family.

Due to the similar nature of careers the phone evidence has been very intriguing to me. I have posted several detailed responses to both the cell phone activity of BC on 7/12 and the calls to his work on 7/12. These calls are very suspicious based upon what BC said about the calls in his deposition. Till proven otherwise I will believe that a cell phone call with a seizure time of 1 second implies a call that was answered by a voicemail system without ringing the cell phone. The 6:05am call on 7/12, the call that was explained by BC as a means to locate his misplaced cell phone, had a seizure time of 1 second and a duration of 23 seconds. I don't see how it is possible that he located his cell phone in this case. Your spouse is missing, you admit that you are worried yet you don't answer your cell phone when it is called.

The calls to Cisco on 7/12 appear to be work related till you look at the details of those calls. How do you suppose that if BC was testing any issues related to VoiceMail system that he simply tested this with by forwarding a vm from one system to the other. There is evidence that the forwarded vm was not even listened to. Yet we are to believe that he was working on some upgrade issue?

I apologize for being snippy. I have deleted more posts than I have sent because I simply as I don't like or want to come across in this manner. Sometimes I fail. Anyway, I would really like to hear your opinion of these phone calls. Lastly, I don't believe I have lynch mob mentality. To a newbie on this forum that may appear to be the case.

Thank you. It is too late, after too long a day for me to respond to this tongiht, I will try in the am. I am not saying, or was not saying, you specifically had a lynch mob mentality, I am just saying that I really am glad that it is out of style, and I mean that entirely. I think time may change, that as a people we grow, but I think some mentalities never change, and thakfully we no longer take people from the courthouse without a trial, good or bad, before we lynch them.

It would not be beyond reason to expect that BC was familiar with Holly Springs Rd. It would not be beyond reason for BC to know the state, ie., it as a new home construction area, of Fielding Drive. So, having familiarity with the area would make for a quick view of Fielding Drive, its not like he was using the google map for driving directions.

No what was argued today was that the defense has the actual drive itself. Defense asked for the output not the procedures. Prosecution is not giving up the procedures nor the output. There is no reason to hide the output other than you don't want the defense and court to see what is there. They are trying to cross with the output created by the FBI which they do not have.

It's like the prosecution said here are all the ingredients make this cake. The recipe is secret and you can't taste the cake but you can ask our bakers questions about our cake but only using your cake as your reference.

Are the cakes the same?

Not to split hairs but I made a post of this earlier and I think it bares repeating. The problem really lies in the fact that NTFS and by proxy anything contained in the MFT tables is kept as a trade secret by Microsoft. As a Federal entity, I would speculate that Microsoft has been required to provide the details of NTFS/MFT to the FBI under non-disclosure. If the FBI were to release the details of their MFT report as public record someone could potentially reverse engineer it (though admittedly, most of NTFS has already been reverse engineered for the most part).

However, there are quite a number of third-party and public domain tools that are designed to collect MFT information... the problem is that they may or may not have the blessing of Microsoft and thus may or may not contain the same quality of information as the FBI report. The FBI simply cannot release the report.

It would not be beyond reason to expect that BC was familiar with Holly Springs Rd. It would not be beyond reason for BC to know the state, ie., it as a new home construction area, of Fielding Drive. So, having familiarity with the area would make for a quick view of Fielding Drive, its not like he was using the google map for driving directions.

Exactly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member