LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 - #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone always assumes a man did it? Why not a woman? or a man with a woman? A man could use another woman as bait to attract another woman over. It's been done before. I see it all the time going down at nightclubs.

Mickey most likely would of trusted a woman or a couple (man & woman) to drive her home or to the hospital more so than a single man if she was offered a ride or her bike was accidentally hit.

I'd bet almost everything that if it was an abduction, it was a man who is the perp or at least the main perp calling the shots and deciding to abduct her. Maybe there's a woman who is perp #2 who is aiding him like Nancy Garrido or something.

Can someone tell us if TES is still in the area?

I also wondered if she cut through to Azalea but people kept saying that she wouldn't have done that because Azalea is very dark and not a very safe neighborhood. Would you agree? I wonder if the perp was able to get her while she was riding through the city hall parking lot, and that's why the people driving the Olds didn't see anything.

As a local, I wouldn't say that Azalea is not safe. It's not as well-lit as some other routes she could have taken, but it's residential and doesn't have the abandoned hospital nor the field/dimly lit Colesium Rd. that would be significantly more unsafe or creepy.

Unrelated to the above quote and going back to earlier speculation (just now catching up!), I don't think she was being followed from Parkside/St. John because she seems much to relaxed in the photos, not tense and on-edge as she would be if she was being followed. Furthermore, if she were being followed, she would have likely pulled into the Circle K parking lot, went inside and called someone to come to get her. When I would ride my bike at night, I would be very, very aware of the cars and traffic around me, you can hear a truck running and if it didn't pass you, you'd be suspicious--especially at 2 am. And if it did pass you multiple times (such as circling the block) you'd be even more suspicious. Not to mention that if she felt like she was being followed from the start, when she got into St. John she was relatively close to the Sheriff's office, and it would have made more sense to detour there through the well-lit areas (even if they are inhabited by people a bit more sketchy) downtown than to take St. Landry where it is more secluded and dark.

Unless someone is into cars, it would be better for them to memorize the image of the car rather than focus on it's year of make. You could maybe circle the make where it appears on the car on the poster....add 911 to that tag too. jmo

Agreed. People shouldnt be so concerned with what type of car it is as they should be focusing on what it looks like and the damage on it. Same with the truck and the different colored gas cap

I was searching on I-10 and whiskey bay bridge wed or thursday and there was nothing in the area. we were at night so all we could do was toss flyers on the ground to let people know we had been there. we bushwacked and tossed flyers; maybe the fisherman picked those up. hopefully...

Do you think the bike was dropped off after Friday?

An article, don't remember which, mentioned that the bike was found among a good bit of trash. Did you encounter an area that had a lot of trash around it that was close to the bridge where the cop cars are parked? I can see a bike being hard to see if it were covered. I know the area is large and it could be easy to miss. If the bike was put out there after Thursday and you know that almost for a fact, you should definitely tell that to the tip line. They wanted the person to come forward who posted that flier on a post out there as well.

Agreed. People shouldnt be so concerned with what type of car it is as they should be focusing on what it looks like and the damage on it. Same with the truck and the different colored gas cap

But of course your work on the year make and model is definitely useful as well and will keep all car buffs on their toes knowing what to look for

Does anyone know how to find your last post. I haven't been here for a day or so and would like to start from there. Posts on this case are movin right along faster than .. anyway ....

TIA

What bothers me a lot is how the public is being told to look for an "'80s-'90s" 4-door."

That car is NO WAY a '90s car.

It's a '70s-'80s car!!

They can't be putting out a wrong description to the public if they want to find that car!

I know almost zilch about cars but when I heard 90s I even was like "really?" Must be very early 90s..." Even I was highly doubtful it was a 90s car.

I was searching on I-10 and whiskey bay bridge wed or thursday and there was nothing in the area. we were at night so all we could do was toss flyers on the ground to let people know we had been there. we bushwacked and tossed flyers; maybe the fisherman picked those up. hopefully...

Do you think the bike was dropped off after Friday?

Interesting...they had fliers taped up near where the bike was found.

Edit to add: Did you guys tape fliers? Or just scatter them? If that was on Thursday, there's a possibility that the perp taped up a flier themselves--which brings me back to the bike being planted as a taunt to LE.

I also wondered if she cut through to Azalea but people kept saying that she wouldn't have done that because Azalea is very dark and not a very safe neighborhood. Would you agree? I wonder if the perp was able to get her while she was riding through the city hall parking lot, and that's why the people driving the Olds didn't see anything.

I wouldn't call Azalea unsafe. It may be dark, but it's quiet and residential. Unlike Coliseum, where there is no one. Azalea also goes straight across St. Mary, where Parkside and Souvenir Gate you have to jump on St. Mary for a second. I'd consider the neighborhoods on this side of University and Congress some of the safest neighborhoods Lafayette has, if we're talking about near the center of the city/urban/downtown areas. It's not secluded a secluded suburban world, but it is a little slice of goodness. Let me say this about it... I've NEVER heard of anyone disappearing here!!! Maybe an a bike being stolen or something, but no random violent crimes!! There people in this neighborhood are a community of their own. Real neighbors. For instance, our last governor, Kathleen Blanco, lives in the neighborhood. It's not a trashy transient place, or anything.

Can someone tell us if TES is still in the area?

I believe they are. I think it was on NG last night where they were talking about using sonar (?) to search under the water.

I have been reading this since the beginning, as I am 5'3" 115#s and have been riding my bike in this exact area for the last 14 years!! I've lived in Lafayette all of my life and know it like the back of my hand. I have left the area of Ryan street MANY times (especially when I was Mickey's age) after having either been at a "show" or work. If I needed to leave downtown and get to the Saint Streets or Congress near Cajun Field, I would go down St. John and cross University AT THE LIGHT!! Not only is Parkside dark and creepy at night, it's a blind and ruthless curve on University and not where you'd want to be on a bike at night. Also, if you crossed there, you end up with a BIG empty (at night) school and a coulee. So, after crossing University, I would ride just past the city hall/Consolidated gov. building, and as crazy as it seems, I'd cross through that back parking lot (which is employee parking) and hop on to Azalea right there. I'd cross St. Mary and continue on and generally I'd take Saint Patrick over to the top of Parkside, which is almost to the Cajun Dome, where I could then get on Congress. I know it seems like a detour, but it's really not, and it's a great way to avoid the drunks on the road AND the dark deserted Coliseum Rd. If I were going to take Johnston, I would have continued up St. Landry to St. Julien, and hit Johnston there. I didn't really ride on Johnston then, because there were no "bike lanes" at the time. I'm not sure if LE has Mickey on the other camera on St. Landry, or not, but I've been thinking the whole time that she's not on those cameras, because she skips over to Azalea. Does the Consolidated gov/ City Hall only have cameras in the front of their building? It seems like they'd have one on the backside too, where employee parking is. Also, this is a little strange, but my husband and I stopped at Whiskey Bay on Friday afternoon with our boys on the way back from Baton Rouge to hike. Seriously. It's beautiful. It's a wildlife management area. There are tons of migratory birds. There are alligators. All kinds of awesome things that little boys love. I mentioned to my husband while we were there, that I wished I had flyers with me and how shocked I was that there was not ONE!!! ANYWHERE!! Trust me, I was looking. I was also looking for any sign of Mickey. None. There were boats that I was sure were looking, but most were just guys fishing. If we're ever on our way back from Baton Rouge around sunset, we always stop there to watch it. That area is not a "dumping ground". There is a fair amount of trash etc. right off of the interstate, but all in all it's pretty. It's not where I'd go alone, as my iphone won't work on the trails, and I'd never go at night. (mainly bc of wildlife AND BUGS!!!) so...

So wait----there were no flyers there (Whiskey Bay) this past Friday but there was one Saturday when her bike was found? If that's what I hear you're saying, that's chilling...

I think that the type and year of car is important. Couldn't LE run it through some kind of DMV database and get the current owner?

respectfully BBM.....

Do we have the same mother? LOL!

While we wait on more info, at least Mickey's disappearance has opened a dialogue about ways for women to protect and empower themselves.

moo

wm

LOL....I still have my very long nails too ;)....no text fingers here.

Just spoke to the tip line. They asked me to e-mail all the info about the car to a specific detective. Let me go dark here for awhile to do the Photoshop work,

BBL

I think this is such great news that they want you to talk to a detective! I think it means you're helping a lot! Hopefully will lead to a break in the case! YAY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
donwhoolery