GUILTY Australia - Jill Meagher, 29, Melbourne, 22 Sep 2012 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG I hope thats not granted.

Given that it seems to have been in other cases, it sadly probably will be granted. I don't care how long this person or any other such criminal has spent behind bars, I still don't want people like this in our society :( let alone should they be given any kind of protection if it was possibly a high profile case or they may be at risk of "attacks" etc.

Is anyone heading to the peace march? I had planned on going but my face is swollen from an infected wisdom tooth and on pain killers and antibiotics, so best to leave it.

That's why I'm catching up now... I went with a group of friends and family. My sister lives 500m from Bar Etiquette so we feel claiming back our streets is important. It was lovely. Sad, emotional but full of hope. An entire community from all walks of life joining together. Melbourne made me so proud today :)

I have never criticised a posters opinion, but this is utter rubbish! It's a great inner city suburb in a great city! Terrible things happen everywhere :/

Very true, but original post may allude to the sort of thing we could say about Kings Cross in Sydney, doesn't mean everyone who lives there is tarred with the same brush. There are capital F -feral parts of the Cross, and on it's edge, great areas of Potts Point and Elizabeth Bay.

Imagine the charming clientele in that place, just the sort to invite home for afternoon tea with the vicar. Your theory is good.

You know, I'm gonna have to stand up in favour of adult shops. They're usually brightly lit and run by friendly people. Sleazy guys will go anywhere to buy *advertiser censored* but most of the profit is in expensive toys for women, and they won't go in unless it feels really sanitary and safe.

Once when I was 17 I was waiting late at night at a dark train station. There were a couple of guys there and I felt very unsafe. The only place that was open that late was an adult shop, so I went there. The guy running it was very kind and let me wait in the doorway (it would have been illegal for me to enter) and called my parents to pick me up.

Very true, but original post may allude to the sort of thing we could say about Kings Cross in Sydney, doesn't mean everyone who lives there is tarred with the same brush. .

of course thats what i meant

I have friends and family in Brunswick./Coburg

i got no problems with those areas and id live there myself no problems, but i stand by what i said

<modsnip>

i got no problems with those areas and id live there myself no problems, but i stand by what i said

<modsnip>
Hmmm.... Keep in mind, the perpritator of this crime AEB according to those who knew him, came across as your normal average bloke, in fact, his landlady said he was polite.

The old saying... Don't judge a book by it's cover stands for a lot...

This is in keeping with what we observed of his behaviour towards Jill at that time and Jill's behaviour in response to threat. He may have ordered her to turn her phone off (earlier post), take her SIM out or he took it out. She appears to hang on to that phone in front of her for dear life. We observe that he says something to her (while standing out of the light on the left); she looks up at him quickly, then looks back down (as if following orders) at her phone and reluctantly moves her fingers. The threat he posed to her seems clear in that video. Predators like to disable their victim and render them helpless. My opinion only, not fact.

I wonder what type of phone she had? I know with my iPhone I need a little pin to insert into it to remove the SIM...

Please use a little more tact as we all have our thoughts & feelings and deserve respect on this site, thank you.

...as should the original poster. I'm sure you pointed that out to them...

I've just been surrounded by a wonderful community today, bound together by this tragedy in the suburb that poster chose to tear to shreds. Met some gorgeous people who live there. Not a weirdo mentioned...

I'm usually so impressed with the decency and sensibility of this forum. One persons evil actions does not define a community of people.

In my opinion, although it looks like the victim was random, it very much looks to me that the alleged perp had worked out in painstaking detail what he was going to do - right down to the shovel and place of disposal. I cannot imagine someone just doing this kind of stuff on the fly. This looks very organized to me.

Walk down Sydney Rd and you will see a ridiculous amount if weird and mentally ill people, theres something about the area that makes them congregate there

With respect we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I spend a lot of time in this area and can't say I've experienced this.

I think Jill was incredibly unlucky to come across an evil person on this particular night and he could have struck anywhere.

Be careful combining "weirdos" and "mentally ill" too...IMO

I won't comment on it again after this, but I think it's a great area.

With respect, a number of posters need to get the word "alleged" into their commentary. All this stuff is sub judice!

Jumping off your post LeoBear :)

There is no real need for the alleged term, it is often used incorrectly and more often than not used to cover a law that is being broken. Australian laws in respect to a case like this is very clear.

This makes it clearer: http://www.thenewsmanual.net/Resources/medialaw_in_australia_03.html

We've all been asked to read it and follow it - I'd hate to see a thread closed because laws are being broken :(

Walk down Sydney Rd and you will see a ridiculous amount if weird and mentally ill people, theres something about the area that makes them congregate there

I think I understand what you are saying. It's usually in areas where there is still some relatively cheap accommodation available, often privately run boarding houses. People need to be able to live somewhere, or they end up living on the streets. It is a major problem for government housing authorities right across Australia. They always end up with the problem of having to house people who have been de-institutionlized.

Although it's worth mentioning, I think, that the alleged perp wouldn't fit an obvious physical description of "weird and mentally ill".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-30/community-to-march-in-honour-of-meagher/4287762?WT.svl=news2

ABC video report on the walk. Gives a sense of the area for non-locals.

ETA: and they're saying around 10,000 took part!

I have no idea how many, but it was LOTS! Very quiet and emotional.

We went for a drive down to Anglesea after to shake off the cobwebs. Turned into a beautiful day. I was chatting on the beach to a lady and she mentioned her daughter lives near Jill and she brought her kids (this woman's grand kids) to stay for the week they were searching for Jill. Normally a young girl would babysit them during the week but she felt she wanted them tucked away at Nanas until the case was solved.

The consequences of this crime are far reaching.

I have no idea how many, but it was LOTS! Very quiet and emotional.

We went for a drive down to Anglesea after to shake off the cobwebs. Turned into a beautiful day. I was chatting on the beach to a lady and she mentioned her daughter lives near Jill and she brought her kids (this woman's grand kids) to stay for the week they were searching for Jill. Normally a young girl would babysit them during the week but she felt she wanted them tucked away at Nanas until the case was solved.

The consequences of this crime are far reaching.

Good idea, and lovely day for some beach fresh air. I ended up walking down to Princes Park with my friends but one of them had brought her son and he was sooooooo boooooored that she decided to go home, and we all split up.

They're saying as many as 30,000 turned up! Just amazing.

A friend coming back from NZ met an American woman on the plane and she knew all about Jill. :( Worldwide sadness.

Regarding the more colourful or strange members of certain communities: remember that in past decades with the spread of the 'burbs, inner city areas were long where cheap and sometimes run down accommodation was easily available to those who needed it, including a criminal element. As these parts have become more and more trendy and attractive to a lot of people, it has kind of squished a certain element of society into smaller spaces. A lot of those people often add to the cosmopolitan feel of some inner city neighbourhoods - I remember that years ago I loved being close to Brisbane's Valley area because of that as it seemed a very exciting and exotic part of Bris to live. I never would have walked alone anywhere there at night (and certain areas even in daylight) in a blue fit mind you. Not defending the existence of crooks - just maybe why some areas might seem to have more odd-bods than others.
Not very well worded sorry - hopefully you get what I mean. :)

I think often it is kept quiet (not secret) because that is the way Australians' are. Look at Steve Irwin's death - we all know it was filmed and it was destroyed so that no one could ever see it. That is just the way we are.

I can't quiet understand that you feeling uncomfortable hearing about them gives anything to to do with anything. It certainly does nothing for Jill. If it is not released (and it can be depending on many factors) then it isn't, end of story.

Saves giving ideas to the next sicko, and family and friends don't need to a hard copy of how she died.MOO

Agreed! I think if you look online you can see many gruesome murder crime scenes from other countries, not so much here. I think there's a great desire to protect the families of victims here. IMO

Agreed! I think if you look online you can see many gruesome murder crime scenes from other countries, not so much here. I think there's a great desire to protect the families of victims here. IMO

I agree too - what purpose does it serve other than filling loved ones heads with unimaginable images when they are already suffering enough. Every minute detail in most cases would be just horrific, I also understand though that some parents/spouses couldn't bear to not know everything, so I'm not sure who should have the final call either way.

Regarding the more colourful or strange members of certain communities: remember that in past decades with the spread of the 'burbs, inner city areas were long where cheap and sometimes run down accommodation was easily available to those who needed it, including a criminal element. As these parts have become more and more trendy and attractive to a lot of people, it has kind of squished a certain element of society into smaller spaces. A lot of those people often add to the cosmopolitan feel of some inner city neighbourhoods - I remember that years ago I loved being close to Brisbane's Valley area because of that as it seemed a very exciting and exotic part of Bris to live. I never would have walked alone anywhere there at night (and certain areas even in daylight) in a blue fit mind you. Not defending the existence of crooks - just maybe why some areas might seem to have more odd-bods than others.
Not very well worded sorry - hopefully you get what I mean. :)

Newtown in Sydney was pretty similar. And it was a good place to live when I was young, but you always needed to have your wits about you at night.

Some of these inner city suburbs used to be the wealthy areas of our expanding young cities at one time. They go through cycles. Newtown is a case in point. It was the first suburb that all the wealthy Sydney merchants went to. I read somewhere that King St Newtown has the longest single run of Victoriana (late 19th century) buildings in the world. Above street level that is. If you look above the awnings it's all heritage listed (as far as I know) and all Victoriana facades.

Even Harlem in New York with its wonderful Brownstone terrace houses was once the suburb to live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ctrls