CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
The tree: we get crazy winds here. Over 80mph. Last spring the door of my husbands car was ripped off by it. So i dont think much of the tree being knocked over.

I suppose this could be, it just seems like it being further down the hill it wouldn't get hit so bad. But I've seem massive cottonwoods downed like matchsticks, so...there goes my theory! :)

I can't figure out why, if the blue station wagon in NH is unrelated, it would have been abandoned. Sure, it was seen on the news and everywhere else, but wouldn't a completely innocent person come forward and say, "That was me and here's my daughter who just happens to look a lot like Jessica and we are in Maine for a completely legit reason." There are sooo many what ifs, but wait then this doesn't make sense, and that seems uncredibly unlikely. It seems as though whoever abandoned the car in NH was guilty of SOMETHING -- whether it's related to Jessica or not. Did LE put surveillance on the car for any length of time to see if someone came back for it? Or did they snatch it up right away?
Did the car have gas in it? Was it able to run? Some cars are not ""abandoned", they have just gone as far as they can go. Sorry if this has already been addressed, very hard and sad keeping up with this story.

I discovered WS b/c the Lisa Irwin case.

Often the media will be provided information on a case that's either off the record or background. Some of the information can be used or eluded to. And some of it cannot. It's actually nice to be able to discuss a case here on WS and not have to worry about what I can say publicly and what I can't.

Reporters often know far more than they can say publicly but they can use that information to affect their word choices and selections and the framing of sentences.

We know police publicly said the body was not intact.

I do think it's quite deliberative for at least one news outlet to say dismembered. I don't think it's sloppy journalism as some believe.

The media obviously has chopper video that gave them pictures and images they have chosen not to share.

The station that initially reported dismembered is also the station along with ABC that has said sources indicate they believe they have found Jessica's body. My instincts are this is a station with some really good sources and they have gotten the dismembered that way or via the chopper footage.

I realize it's really easy to throw sticks and stones at nameless media folks. These stories are tough for them. They have family and children. They are real people. They care and try hard. Yes, there are bad apples and there are people who are shallow and sensational. But most journalists I know are hard workers and mean well whether they are in Kansas City or Denver or Timbucktoo. And they try to do the right thing. Mistakes are made and these are tough situations to cover. But that doesn't mean they aren't human beings who don't care and hurt really hard when you go home at night.

BBM

I would never presume to say that journalists aren't caring human beings. But some of the people reporting news today aren't "journalists", they are information pushers. They get a tweet, they post it as news. If they're wrong, oh well, they can do an update. Update afterwards, rather than getting it right the first time.

IMO there appears to have been a "dumbing down" of journalism especially with the advent of social media. I know I will face a lot of argument on that, so please just accept this as my opinion only, and don't let a protacted argument ensue that will take away from Jessica.

In this particular case, I concede the dismemberment argument. You are probably right - the PIO stated "not intact", but the reporter may well have had inside information that allowed him to use the word dismembered.

First time poster here.

Hate to be a bother but could someone please briefly catch me up on what has happened since they found the car? Got a heap of work to do today and don't have time to read back.

Off topic - welcome to Websleuths toniemma thank you for joining us!

Video from Airtracker 7 showed investigators surrounding something that appeared to be a plastic bag in a field.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...hat-missing-10-year-old-girl-jessica-ridgeway

While this article didn't say clearly that the body was found in a garbage bag I did come to that conclusion based on this article.

IMO

Watching last night, investigators did seem to be going back and forth from what I assume was the body to something in the grass nearby (pointing with their flashlights). I don't remember seeing anything identifying, though.

A few interesting comments under the article that you linked.

Very interesting, I wonder if any of the wonderful scanner peeps remember something about that? Of course CHP would be a different scanner than the ones they were listening to.

Read in article that Jessica has a sore on top of her nose below where her glasses sit that "doesn't heal"???????!!!!! Good Grief! Did this child have cancer!?

Do you have a link to that article? If her glasses were causing a sore on her nose, surely a callous would have built up or her optometrist would have suggested different glasses or possibly contacts. I can't imagine having glasses rub a sore on my face and the continuing to wear glasses on the wound. How painful.

Read in article that Jessica has a sore on top of her nose below where her glasses sit that "doesn't heal"???????!!!!! Good Grief! Did this child have cancer!?

No, maybe just ill-fitting glasses. I used to have a pair that rubbed on the bridge of my nose. It was constantly red and irritated.

LOL....well kind of.....except why a woman with two children who just moved would abandon her car behind a Walmart during the night..or why the girl who resembled JR was with a man at the convenience store! All of which is probably irrelevant, but curious just the same!

Raeann, Where did you get the information that a woman had abandoned the car at WalMart? Did I miss this in the thread somewhere....I'm reading as fast as I can.

Hi DeAnn! Good to see you again (but sad circumstances indeed). Thank you for weighing in on the media side of the picture.

I agree, "well said, DeAnn".. When a child is the victim, whether you're a first responder or a journalist. It is very difficult to compartmentalize. Sadly, every innocent victim is someone's child...

If you get a blister from the wrong size shoes and keep wearing those shoes it likely won't heal.

My 9 year old daughter has a huge "crack" on her bottom lip that will NOT heal. It's big enough to bleed.

It has been there for a year, we have tried every lip product, prescription or not known to man... it just won't go away.
She has had blood work done several times in that year and she does not have cancer or any other major medical issue.

It just won't heal because she still eats, drinks and talks. The sore on Jessica's nose likely was the same thing.
I think she just has a sore that doesn't heal because she continues to wear her glasses so it continues to be bothered. :twocents:

Broomfield police will step up extra patrols near all of Broomfield's elementary and middle schools until a suspect in Jessica Ridgeway's disappearance is identified.

Between 20 and 25 officers began extra patrols around schools Thursday morning, and they will continue the patrols as a precaution until investigators can identify any suspects in the disappearance of the 10-year-old Westminster girl.

http://www.broomfieldenterprise.com...ield-schools-light-jessica?source=most_viewed

Video from Airtracker 7 showed investigators surrounding something that appeared to be a plastic bag in a field.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...hat-missing-10-year-old-girl-jessica-ridgeway

While this article didn't say clearly that the body was found in a garbage bag I did come to that conclusion based on this article.

IMO

I need to check upthread, but I think I posted a link to an article saying the body was found beside a black garbage bag. Let me check on that and if I can find it, I'll post it here.

ETA: http://www.kshb.com/dpp/news/crime/...not-intact-had-been-dismembered#ixzz291JKW0FK

However, the video also shows that the body is small, and does not appear to be that of an adult victim. It was found next to a culvert and also appeared to be near a black garbage bag.

If you get a blister from the wrong size shoes and keep wearing those shoes it likely won't heal.

My 9 year old daughter has a huge "crack" on her bottom lip that will NOT heal. It's big enough to bleed.

It has been there for a year, we have tried every lip product, prescription or not known to man... it just won't go away.
She has had blood work done several times in that year and she does not have cancer or any other major medical issue.

It just won't heal because she still eats, drinks and talks. The sore on Jessica's nose likely was the same thing.
I think she just has a sore that doesn't heal because she continues to wear her glasses so it continues to be bothered. :twocents:

Way OT but have you tried aquaphor? It's like magic.

I was hoping an animal caused the "not intact".

But here is another wording

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR
@WestminsterPD: “We hope for a positive ID” of the severed body discovered in the #JessicaRidgeway search “by tomorrow” http://bit.ly/WWX0SG

Oh my god,,,got home from work, did some chores and then checkd the Denver Post. They are saying the body found was not intact.
I am sure I missed alot here in just a couple of hours, what am I missing? No identification yet???

Raeann, Where did you get the information that a woman had abandoned the car at WalMart? Did I miss this in the thread somewhere....I'm reading as fast as I can.

Several articles are posted on this thread (you will find them as you read, I'm sure).... short summary, tho, the car was found early this morning abandoned behind a Walmart and towed by the local LE. Later reports this afternoon stated that the owner was a woman who had recently moved to the area with two children. It is presumed at this point to be unrelated to the JR case.

jmo

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR
@WestminsterPD: “We hope for a positive ID” of the severed body discovered in the #JessicaRidgeway search “by tomorrow” http://bit.ly/WWX0SG

Sheesh, they're going a little nutty. I will just take the spoken words from the presser and stay tuned...

KDVR FOX31 Denver ‏@KDVR

Oh no, it just gets worse and worse... how did it go from "not intact", to "dismembered" to "severed"?

I should probably step away from this for a little while. Going to light a candle, and think of this lovely girl smiling away in the pictures we've seen. Whole and happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
penelopeb