CO - Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is all soo sad .... and yet so "unpreventable" in so many ways .... if a predator decides that this is the day to take his prey then it is almost inevitable that he will find the way to do so ... no parent ...... no matter how protective or observant (or whatever you wish to phrase it) can ever be with their child 24/7 ... nor should they be ... talk about inhibiting their natural need to grow and become independent functioning individuals ... we should never, in cases like this, ever put even the slightest blame upon the parents who have been cleared by the police as being 100% not involved .... even if the phone had been answered ... what then? The sadistic monster still has grabbed the child .... and gone ..... it happens in a second and even the most doting of parents can lose their children to these monsters!!!!! what is the answer? ..... yes walking in groups would be good, screaming,kicking and fighting whenever anyone (other than direct family) try to take them anywhere, however the predator may still win out.... my daughter (20) was stalked and abducted by a supposedly professional coworker ... she died a terrible death (after only 20 days of knowing the individual) ... was tortured for hours ... she knew Judo, she had been taught "stranger danger" ... and yet no-one could have foreseen this evil..... how can a normal good hearted individual ever know and truly see evil ... they cloak it to fit in and in the end if they decide they wish to kill they will do so.... dear beautiful Jessica, her lovely family and fiends are simply victims of this monster ... if not dear Jessica then he/she would have found someone else. My heart is with her dear sweet mother and father who raised such a lovely vibrant girl, with her friends and family, as are my prayers!!! Rest in peace darling girl and dance amoung the angels!!!!

So sorry, basilcat!

:heartbeat: :rose: :rose:

Unspeakable!

I think trying to blame a parent or friend of an abducted person for not being careful enough is like blaming the victims of a drunk driving accident for being on the road. Yeah, if you never drove on the highway, you'd never get run down, but it's still the fault of the *advertiser censored*** drunk driver and nothing you did. It's nothing Jessica's mother or relatives or friends did or didn't do, either.

What an agonizing wait this is. I can't imagine what it must be like for the community and more importantly, the family.

I pray some information surfaces soon.

In looking at all the search pictures, I must say that the area is very beautiful. It's too bad I have to see the beauty of CO with LE doing searches in the photos.

Patiently waiting for for an update from LE....:pullhair::pullhair:

:( I know. I hate Colorado getting attention for such terrible things. It IS a beautiful state

I do hope LE can confirm identity today, or else I will join Sarx on her fence thinking something really weird is going on, and I am the least of conspirator theorists and/or person ready to jump on a "left one victim here, took another" kind of band wagon...

I'll look thru the neighborhood.

Also..if anyone can help me recall something from early on. I recall talk that I thought was here at WS.. of a neighbor with a work/utility vehicle with a company logo/name on it..and that it was subsequently driven away with an RV or camper of some sort? If anyone recalls talk like this and can direct me? If this post is out of line...please advise or remove. tia

The white service truck is on the opposite side of the street catty corner from Moore Circle. On G maps, it's sitting in the driveway. I believe the logo is Ecolab, which could be two different companies. I have never seen the video again of the truck and motor home, but remember it vividly because I was screaming at my puter as I saw it in the background while the reporter was telling his story.

ETA: It would have been Sun or Mon....and the report was being made from her neighborhood, imo.

This is totally off topic, but one of the saddest things for me is that Jessica had two parents fighting in the courts for custody of her ...... yet no one walked her to school each day.

Why didn't her mum just do the few minutes walk before she slept, or even the grandma? I'm not blaming them at all, but I personally don't understand how neither of them were worried about a little girl walking alone through that park each morning. Even if they knew the school would alert them if she didn't turn up, that would still leave about 20 minutes to anything to happen.

In this case, even if J's dad had alerted someone that she hadn't turned up, there appear to be no witnesses to her abduction so the 8 hour delay probably hasn't really made a difference as there were no details (car or person) for an amber alert to describe.

I agree in that even if the other dad had gone to her house, it was already too late and that Jessica was already being driven out of the area. And if no one saw it happen, which apparently is the case, no one would have known what to look for. Although roadblocks could have been set up, I guess.

In our school systems...there are "emergency contact" numbers/persons for the school to contact when they can't reach parents. You must have a minimum of 3 EC #s on file with the school. Perhaps Jessica's mom relies on a similar system in case of emergency? Just a thought. I'm not sure if her school is similar.

The school very well could have other numbers to try in the event of an emergency, and might well have tried those numbers -- IF -- they viewed the child's absence as an emergency.

How does your kid's school define "emergency"? I suspect at most schools, an emergency is something like:
- the child is hurt on the schoolyard, or in an science experiment, needs medical attention.
- child has an asthma attack, needs medical attention
- school fire
- shooting at the school - locked down - must alert parents

The thing is, how many schools are going to define a child not arriving on time as an emergency? Odds are the staff making the calls to parents on absent kids, who's parents hadn't called in to say their kids were not coming did not deem an absence from school as an emergency.

Its possible this kid and her family is well known at the school - maybe she had the sniffles the day before and they all just thought she wasn't feeling well and mom had forgotten to call it in?

I doubt most schools would deem a kid not showing up as an emergency - if they did, they'd be making a lot of emergency calls to parents and extra contacts every morning.

It isn't really hunting space, but I wondered if this was an area the perp could see from his own home

Me too. I keep thinking about watching (her) or action.
Being in control of the scene. Using a quad to drop off etc. Knows land very well,enough that no one would be wise?

My kids have wanted to walk the neighborhood by themselves many times. I just can't let them do it. I always find a reason to go with them... usually I'll just say, "Oh, I need to walk the dog anyway" or "I need to go do this errand" or "Oh, let's do *advertiser censored* instead". They don't understand it, particularly my 13 yo son, as many of his friends are allowed to walk by themselves.

When I was 7, I used to walk home from my school bus stop with two other kids. My house was literally about .25 of a mile from the school bus stop, which was located right next to a rural corner market. One day, the kids that I walked home with decided to go into the market and buy some gum. I went with them and bought a pack of "Tidalwave" gum... remember that, all you 80s kids? It was grape and it tasted awesome. It was so awesome that I stopped walking so I could unwrap a couple more pieces... it was so tasty to bite into it and taste that grape flavor! :) Anyhow, while I was stopped a car pulled over with 4 men in it... two in the front, two in the back. It was one of those big, long 70s cars but it was a coupe. The man in the passenger seat got out and held the back seat up and told me "Here, get in, we'll give you a ride home". I just remember freezing and thinking, why does this guy want to give me a ride home when I live right there. But while I was thinking that, he reached out and grabbed my arm and started trying to push me into the car and I resisted. The kids I was walking with, who I'd fallen behind from when I was unwrapping my gum, came running back, shouting at the men. The older girl grabbed my other arm and her brother was yelling, "Come on, come on!". Thank goodness for that, because the man let go of me and jumped back in the car and they drove off.

What is really crazy about that is I never mentioned it to my mom for many years. It just didn't occur to me that it was anything sinister... I just remember thinking how odd it was that he was insisting that they give me a ride home. It was so surreal and illogical. I was just too young to understand their intentions. It wasn't until I was in middle school and we were talking about "strangers" that I connected the dots about what happened. I remember feeling shocked and going home and telling my mom and she just cried and cried.

So yeah, I just can't let go and let my kids walk anywhere. I feel bad sometimes, like I'm not letting them be "normal", but I just can't shake my fears. I just try to make sure I am not making them afraid, which is why I make reasons for myself to tag along, like walking the dog, etc.

I am a grown, heatlthy and athletic woman. I was out running one evening in the fall after dark. I was headed North down a residential street and was passed by a few guys in an SUV headed South. Call it intuition, but I glanced back and saw that they had whipped a U-turn and were heading right back towards me. I immediately cut down an alley and hid near a large garbage can. Within seconds, I saw the headlights from the car turn down the alley and head for me. I managed to get through some poor homeowners side yard from the back and pound down their front door. They let me in and called the cops for me. The cops did end up pulling these guys over with the detailed description I gave of the vehicle and reported back to me that they had no intention of harming me. They were interested in asking me out and thought following me was a good idea. I do not know their true intentions, but I am glad I did not stick around to find out.

I am not blaming anyone, but I know I have learned a great deal from reading here with others' experiences as my guide. This is not the world I grew up in and we need to try harder than ever. These perps have amped up their game and now as a community we need to always be one step ahead.

This is just my opinion.

Most Colorado homes I know do have basements unless it is specified on the land survey that it is in a flood plane. We could maybe tell with google images if there are basements in the houses, they would have windows in window wells.

Thank you. I hope LE adds...someone who may have been spending an unusual amount of time in seclusion (i.e...basement, garage, etc...)

I've done research on child abductions/murders and what's unsettling inconsistencies in this case. Especially the brazen acts of dumping the backpack and the body (if it is her) in the open. Statistically, child murderers don't brag or want to be caught (I'm taught to keep an open mind so anything is possible, just throwing out ideas), while they view what they've done as a "desire that couldn't be helped" or for some a "need to see what if feels like" they are fully aware of societies disgust for what they've done. Colorado has a vast amount of places where one could easily have hid everything. IMO the suspect abducted her spontaneously, and had to dispose of things quickly so he wasn't caught with them...before returning to wherever he was scheduled to be. HOwever, he had to have had an awful lot of "alone time" to have dismembered the body. Maybe he kept her somewhere, proceeded with his day, and then disposed at night. Maybe add...if anyone noticed a neighbor leaving at odd hours of the night. A suspicious car in the neighborhood where the bag was found....late at night...

are their gas stations or any other bulidings on that street that may have surveilance cameras that could have caught a car traveling by at odd hours of night...

http://www.examiner.com/article/wha...ssica-ridgeway-suspect-doesn-t-say-but-should

What the FBI profile on Jessica Ridgeway suspect doesn’t say, but should

JESSICA RIDGEWAY OCTOBER 12, 2012BY: RADELL SMITH

On Thursday the FBI provided the public with a profile of the suspect in the missing Colorado girl case of Jessica Ridgeway, a 10-year-old female child missing since Oct. 5 and believed abducted somewhere between her home and a two-block walk to a nearby park according to Fox News.

The law enforcement profile is the standard cookie-cutter version that fits this type of abduction scenario, with no exact details given, so as not to impede prosecution of any offender eventually nabbed for the crime.
(read more)

Radell Smith possesses a formal education in behavioral forensics as well as successful experience in the field of profiling unsolved homicides. She serves as the National Criminal Profiles Examiner as well, and readers can subscribe to her national criminal profiles column by clicking on the subscribe link above or following her on Twitter at CrimeProfiler1.

I appreciate the fact the above information was posted but, it seems to me that 'CrimeProfiler1' in the story stated nothing more than what was stated in the "profile" press conference .. the 'CrimeProfiler1' simply stated it differently, perhaps adding 'details' that could be considered as expansive upon the points, but also as redundant.

... or ... have I missed something?

BBM - this crossed my mind as well.

Yes, that. I think he sees HIMSELF as a victim. I'll be he's been seeing himself as a victim for a long time, and that will likely show up in his work/education history. I also think that's why, if that is her body that was found, the "disposal" (I hate to use that word) was so violent, complete overkill, actually, considering he just left it out in the open. It just doesn't make any sense to go and do all of that, and not, say, go out into a completely isolated place and bury it.

(I'm really sorry this is so graphic. It feels dirty to say it, but I don't think there's any way to make euphemisms around it and still communicate clearly). :(

[/b]

Are you referring to Zola's red X in these shots of where the victim was abducted from?

Side_of_houses_comparison_1_zpsc990095e.jpg

Per Zola when asked that question previously: "Law enforcement reported that the victim was abducted somewhere between her home and Chelsea Park (3 blocks). IMHO, the perpetrator(s) abducted her at Chelsea Park, as there are no houses with a direct view overlooking that location. (See lower right-hand image)."

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - ACTIVE SEARCH CO - AMBER ALERT: Jessica Ridgeway, 10, Westminster, 5 Oct 2012 - #6

Yes. That's what I was referring to. Thank you for the post. It was very confusing.

The labeling on these images continues to bother me, as the label "abducted here" is Very Misleading and implies facts/knowledge not yet known. I wish the author could change the label. :::sigh:::
Those readers who haven't read previous conversations by this author where she clarified it was Just Her Opinion...may get the wrong idea. :(

Yeah. I agree. That was me. I missed that post and for a long time believed that was known info, until I realized it was not.

It just helps to use disclaimers in situations like that because too often, rumors or speculation become fact and it can take a long, long time to untangle sleuthing that has gone in the wrong direction, as a result of the speculation or rumor.

I know that the situation itself is not funny AT ALL but I must be extremely tired or something because I am literally in tears at my desk laughing at the line I bolded. Is there ANY explanation for someone eating another humans face OFF? :floorlaugh:

No! :crazy:

It is all soo sad .... and yet so "unpreventable" in so many ways .... if a predator decides that this is the day to take his prey then it is almost inevitable that he will find the way to do so ... no parent ...... no matter how protective or observant (or whatever you wish to phrase it) can ever be with their child 24/7 ... nor should they be ... talk about inhibiting their natural need to grow and become independent functioning individuals ... we should never, in cases like this, ever put even the slightest blame upon the parents who have been cleared by the police as being 100% not involved .... even if the phone had been answered ... what then? The sadistic monster still has grabbed the child .... and gone ..... it happens in a second and even the most doting of parents can lose their children to these monsters!!!!! what is the answer? ..... yes walking in groups would be good, screaming,kicking and fighting whenever anyone (other than direct family) try to take them anywhere, however the predator may still win out.... my daughter (20) was stalked and abducted by a supposedly professional coworker ... she died a terrible death (after only 20 days of knowing the individual) ... was tortured for hours ... she knew Judo, she had been taught "stranger danger" ... and yet no-one could have foreseen this evil..... how can a normal good hearted individual ever know and truly see evil ... they cloak it to fit in and in the end if they decide they wish to kill they will do so.... dear beautiful Jessica, her lovely family and fiends are simply victims of this monster ... if not dear Jessica then he/she would have found someone else. My heart is with her dear sweet mother and father who raised such a lovely vibrant girl, with her friends and family, as are my prayers!!! Rest in peace darling girl and dance amoung the angels!!!!

Oh my goodness, basilcat. It is heartbreaking to hear that one of our own here went through such a horrible tragedy. God bless you. You know what pain Jessica's poor family is feeling.

They were interested in asking me out and thought following me was a good idea. I do not know their true intentions, but I am glad I did not stick around to find out.

What the F is wrong with people? 'Yeah, let's follow a woman as she's running! I'm sure she will be THRILLED!'

A man approached me while I was pumping gas once and asked me for a dollar. I told him you should never approach a woman, ever and to back off. Incredibly, a second man at the same stop asked me for a dollar too. I pretty much yelled at him.

I tell my kids all the time NO adult will EVER ask a child for help. No strange man should ever ask a woman either. Stay away!

Thank you. I hope LE adds...someone who may have been spending an unusual amount of time in seclusion (i.e...basement, garage, etc...)

I've done research on child abductions/murders and what's unsettling inconsistencies in this case. Especially the brazen acts of dumping the backpack and the body (if it is her) in the open. Statistically, child murderers don't brag or want to be caught (I'm taught to keep an open mind so anything is possible, just throwing out ideas), while they view what they've done as a "desire that couldn't be helped" or for some a "need to see what if feels like" they are fully aware of societies disgust for what they've done. Colorado has a vast amount of places where one could easily have hid everything. IMO the suspect abducted her spontaneously, and had to dispose of things quickly so he wasn't caught with them...before returning to wherever he was scheduled to be. HOwever, he had to have had an awful lot of "alone time" to have dismembered the body. Maybe he kept her somewhere, proceeded with his day, and then disposed at night. Maybe add...if anyone noticed a neighbor leaving at odd hours of the night. A suspicious car in the neighborhood where the bag was found....late at night...

are their gas stations or any other bulidings on that street that may have surveilance cameras that could have caught a car traveling by at odd hours of night...

Hmm...not out on McCaslin the back way (by the backpack neighborhood), but there are more towards the main entrance of the neighborhood and towards HWY 36.

Not really anything by the body site like this, though.

How long does it take an Amber Alert to be started once police are called?

I don't know if anyone's answered this for you but I'll give it a whirl....

I think it all depends on (1) how much of the 'amber alert' criteria the case meets (car description, age of child, etc) and (2) LE discretion.

If your non-custodial baby daddy with an arrest record kicks your front door down, waves a gun, snatches your kid, tosses him in the car and drives off into the night, they'd probably have that Amber Alert out within minutes of your call. (guessing!)

If your thirteen year old who has run away twice in the last year is two hours past curfew....you may never get an 'amber alert' started. Missing child, yes, but not an amber alert.

http://www.amberalert.gov/faqs.htm

:twocents: and hope that helps... :seeya:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members