AK, NY Israel Keyes - Who are all of his victims???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw an updated documentary on BTK this morning. The method of suicide that Keyes chose to end his life reminded me of BTK. BTK had a bondage fetish and enjoyed wearing the undergarments of his slain female victims. He enjoyed tying himself up in all sorts of ways. Was Keyes last acting out of a fantasy performed in his jail cell?

http://www.freewebs.com/thebtksite/btkbondage.htm

Many, if not most predators/serial killers are very creative and live in a fantasy world as did Israel Keyes. They'll be whoever they want to be & when they want to be them. Some have more other selves/personalities than Sybil..

An updated BTK documentary aired on Discovery ID; Dark Minds series. It was very informative & delved into his mind and his formative years. I did not know that BTK was an emulator of another prolific CA Serial Killer prior. BTK, had escalated into sadistic ritualistic killings, necrophila, etc.
BTK, is an excellent example of evil, & a psychopaths ability to portray a chameleon like existence for decades among family, friends & coworkers.

BTK was an active serial killer for 3+ decades while maintaining a normal family/social/religious life.
BTK achievied a BS in Admin of Criminology Justice from WSU/KS..
BTK claimed demonic possession..
BTK Ordinance Compliance Officer/Dog Catcher
BTK Honorably discharged from Military
BTK ADT Home Security installer/supervisor

BTK said, that he got as much satisfaction/pleasure out of stalking his intended victims; the hunt, as he did in the actual killing of them.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DctXzPLuYXk"]The BTK Killer Speaks - YouTube[/ame]

Keyes got around Washington while living in Neah Bay. He was an excellent runner and I think his endurance and speed helped him overpower his victims.
I also think he may have used running as a cover for scouting out his victims. Pretty sure these are his results (all list him from Neah Bay) even though there is an age discrepancy (ego?):

http://athlinks.com/RaceSearch.aspx (search Israel Keyes)

North Olympic Discovery Marathon & Half Marathon 2006

Israel Keyes WA 25 6/11 3:56:51

Sequim Run Off 10K/2 Mile

Israel Keyes WA 20 5/06 41:25

Robin Hill Run 10K/5K

Israel Keyes WA 20 4/08 45:39

Lincoln Park Run

Israel Keyes WA 20 3/11 44:42

I keep thinking about all of the various "feet" in running shoes that have been found, I think the count is twelve along the pacific coast and vancouver. Neah Bay is just across the water.

Those that have been identified were either suicides or accidental drownings from what I remember.

Thanx for sharing saba..

re: This admission was among many startling revelations Keyes made over about 40 hours of interviews with police in which he discussed topics ranging from torturing animals as a child to the way he fantasized his own death.

'Not quite the way he fantasized his death'.. Plan B? tk..

re: The FBI in Oregon is asking for help identifying Keyes' potential first victim. Keyes told FBI agents in Alaska that he raped but did not kill his first victim in Oregon between 1996 and 1998. He said the girl was between 14 and 18 years old.

Keyes, knew every little detail about his first innocent victim, imo. He simply was not willing to share this meaningful possession..imo

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...targeted-victims-boyfriend-investigator-says/

"What we found when we interviewed Mr. Keyes was that he knew that the coffee kiosk closed at 8p.m. and he knew that because Samantha didn't have a vehicle there, somebody was going to come and pick her up," Doll told The Associated Press. "He was waiting for her ride to come there because he intended to take that person as well." Keyes, 34, ended up leaving with Koenig shortly before the arrival of Koenig's boyfriend, Duane Tortolani II. Doll said she doesn't know why Keyes changed his mind about also killing the boyfriend, as he had targeted a Vermont couple he killed last year.

"I don't know why he left, but he made it very clear that, you know, that was part of the plan," she said. "It was very fortuitous for Mr. Tortolani not to have run into Mr. Keyes."

If Keyes lived with his daughter and girlfriend where were they when he traveled all over the place? One article I read said he traveled east yearly to visit family. How did he explain to his daughter/girlfriend where he was going and explain not taking them with him? He went on a planned 2 week cruise without his girlfriend and left Samantha in the shed. How did he know she wouldn't be found?

Seems to me that he had a thing for couples...they might be easier to target/identify, because how often do couples go missing together? And not necessarily husband/wife, but two girls, perhaps?

Weren't there two women killed in (I want to say Alaska) a park that was ascribed to some sort of hate crime against gays and lesbians? I may completely be missing my mark, but I think that couples of any kind need to be looked at...found dead together, or missing together.

Hm. The couples thing would have been done later in his killing years, because of the courage it would take to abduct two victims...and the rush it would have given him as he was successful at it would fill the need to "up" the rush from killing just one person. (And yes, that's really hard to say...).

And it seems to me that Bundy did a series of multiple killings, too...the Chi Omega house and then another attack (which is rarely mentioned) a few blocks away at about the same time as the Chi Omega murders and attacks. Those were all multiple victims, too...

He really did study Bundy...there are quite a few similarities between the two.

Best-
Herding Cats

There's a lesbian couple who was murdered in Shenendoah National Park in Virginia. Three or four other couples in Virginia, too, but I think Keyes is too young to have been involved in some of them.

I grew up not far from John Wayne Gacy's home. I became fascinated by serial killers at a young age, went into college studying Psychology with hopes of doing something with criminals but then went elsewhere with my life. I have always been so fascinated by SKs, but I don't tell people because really, it IS kind of strange and morbid but I know you all get what I mean.

That being said -

What we know about Israel goes against what I personally know about SKs (my official studies ended around 2003 and lots happens in 10 years). To me, SKs usually have similar types of victims or stay within a defined area. There is always a "method to the madness".

Not only did Israel not stick with similar types of victims - age ranges all over the map, both genders AND couples and non-couples - but he traveled all over the place, possibly into other countries. AND he planned years ahead, planting his weapons!

Have we EVER heard of anything like this before?

In terms of criminal psychology this is SO fascinating. I mean this purely from a factual and informative POV and I don't mean to undermine the horror the victims went through.

This is really big.

In class they taught you the statistical rules of psych profiling. Meaning that "most likely the perp will fall in these guidelines." But in practical application there are individual differences. That is why a psych profile can only be used to guide LE to look at most likely suspects, but cannot be used to rule a POI out.

Individual differences can be influenced by the different fantasies (sp). Or by circumstances, cultural issues, by anger issues, even by a sense of curiosity or challenge. And many other issues that I can't think of right now.

As an example statistically an SK targets a person of their own race. But occasionally there will be one who does select some members of other races. And there have been a few whose victims were all from a different race. Some will choose primarily victims from a certain "victim pool" (like prostitutes). But then they may run across a vulnerable woman, in favorable circumstances and will take that opportunity to claim a victim. Some just want to emulate other SK's.

So while the statistical rules do apply, there are exceptions.

It's late and I am tired. I hope I am making some sense.

Originally Posted by Claudette
I grew up not far from John Wayne Gacy's home. I became fascinated by serial killers at a young age, went into college studying Psychology with hopes of doing something with criminals but then went elsewhere with my life. I have always been so fascinated by SKs, but I don't tell people because really, it IS kind of strange and morbid but I know you all get what I mean.

That being said -

What we know about Israel goes against what I personally know about SKs (my official studies ended around 2003 and lots happens in 10 years). To me, SKs usually have similar types of victims or stay within a defined area. There is always a "method to the madness".

Not only did Israel not stick with similar types of victims - age ranges all over the map, both genders AND couples and non-couples - but he traveled all over the place, possibly into other countries. AND he planned years ahead, planting his weapons!

Have we EVER heard of anything like this before?

In terms of criminal psychology this is SO fascinating. I mean this purely from a factual and informative POV and I don't mean to undermine the horror the victims went through.

This is really big.

RE: Have we EVER heard of anything like this before?

Not identical, but yes there was a prolific serial killer that was very calculating and cagey that abducted & murdered 4 victims of different profiles; ages ranging from 24 years old to 84 years old, in three states within 79 days in 2007/8. Three victims were female and one male. Nineteen months after his arrest a cache was located by a hunter, hidden deep in the forest..

Keys religiously studied the works of Ted Bundy and other famous serial killers, saying he recognized himself in them.
Yet despite his fascination with them, he said that he always took pride in the fact that all of his ideas were his own. Moreover, he never wanted to be referred to as a serial killer.
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-killer-said-saw-Ted-Bundy.html#ixzz2EwPhJNbl

'Imo, serial killer Keyes talked in riddles'..It goes without saying that no two serial killers are exactly alike. Many serial killers of today seem to be a hybrid of sorts, are creative, investigative & forensically aware, and well read in many cases; CSI effect..
Imo, SK Keyes also read fictional serial killer novels by writers such as James Patterson and John Sandford;

RULES OF PREY
The murderer was intelligent. He was a member of the bar. He derived rules based on professional examination of actual cases: Never kill anyone you know. Never have a motive. Never follow a discernible pattern. Never carry a weapon after it has been used. Beware of leaving physical evidence. There were many more...
____________-

'SK Keyes said that he didn't want to be referred too as a serial killer, yet killed folks indiscriminately'? 'Guess he may be known as the first politically correct serial killer'.

It is thought that (LA) SK Sean Vincent Gillis, was emulating and possibly competing with SK Derrick Todd Lee. Gillis had newspaper clippings of DTL's crimes in his home. LE was unaware of the Gillis' murders until the DTL investigative task force accidentally ran across him.

This is so nonsensical I don't know where to start.

Fort Lewis is near Tacoma.
The Makah are out on the very NW tip of Washington State (Neah Bay.)
Colville is near Idaho.

http://goo.gl/maps/YZK7R gives you an idea about how far apart all these places are. Driving from Colville to Neah Bay would take about ten hours.

I don't think he necessarily resided in his "hometown" his whole life. I was born in Connecticut, therefore my "hometown" is Norwalk, CT. But I lived in several other states, and have been in Maryland for the past 37 years.

I read that tweet to say:
He was stationed (for a time) at Ft. Lewis. He worked (for a time) at Neah Bay. He was born (or raised) in Colville.

In the article I posted above it said LE found an article about Samantha and the Curriers on his home computer, before he confessed to killing them. I wonder what else they found?

Dead men less noticed
Before killing the Curriers and Koenig, Keyes’ killings didn't attract much attention. He noted that missing men, in particular, didn't get attention. People just assume they've left home.

"He goes, 'Oddly the bank robbery I did in New York got more publicity than the person I took and killed,’ " Russo said.
Children off limits

Keyes also told investigators that because of his daughter, children were off limits. That's one reason he chose to kill the Curriers in Vermont -- they had no children.

But that’s where his morality seemed to end. Keyes spent a long time making his own gun silencer, something he was "extremely proud of," Russo said. But he didn't want to use guns unless he had to. He preferred strangling his victims because he enjoyed watching them suffer, Russo said

http://www.alaskadispatch.com/article/alaska-investigators-say-keyes-felt-high-serial-killings

I completely agree, missing men do not get coverage. The local ones (local as in, the Illinois/Wisconsin area) I've heard of are when they go missing with someone, a girlfriend or wife, or a baby, or they are in their twenties or younger. I think Israel may be right here, people assume they ran off. Just like when a woman disappears, the assumption is her husband did her in.

ETA and when I heard/read about those missing men, it's only in a local paper, rarely even in the Chicago Tribune much less national news.

Slightly o/t for a second - Foxfire and mysteriew (or anyone really) any books on the topic you can recommend, I am off work the rest of the year. I remember one I had a while ago that was written by a man that had actually come across one or two SKs in his life just in passing, one of them was a Russian or Polish SK and he passed him as the guy was carrying his victims' heads in a bag - he noticed the bag I think because it hit him or bumped into him and heard about it later. It was one of the better, more informational ones. I would like to catch my knowledge on the subject up again, I've forgotten so much and lost about 10 years. I'm an Editor now so no turning back but it's something I'll always follow and be interested in.

He preferred strangling his victims because he enjoyed watching them suffer, Russo said.

Also, Keyes said he wasn't interested in giving closure to his victims’ families or investigators. In fact, he said he felt a connection with serial killer Ted Bundy because Bundy led a double life, too. But Keyes looked down on Dennis Rader, the so-called BTK killer from Kansas who murdered 10 people.

"He described him as a wimp" Russo said. "He couldn't understand why he came out and said he was sorry for everything he'd done."

According to Russo, Keyes said his favorite serial killers "are the ones who haven't been caught."
______

RE: One thing's for sure: Keyes was meticulous. A national expert on serial killers retained for the case said Keyes was among the top three organizers, thinkers and planners he'd studied, said Russo.

"I wonder who the national serial killer expert was"? Anyone know?

U.S. Magistrate Judge John D. Roberts has signed off on the prosecution recommendation. The next and final step is for a federal District Court judge to approve the dismissal — a formality.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...s-being-dismissed-against-serial-killer-Keyes

“By operation of law, the defendant’s indictment is abated by his death,” Assistant U.S. Attorney Frank V. Russo wrote in court papers filed Monday in Alaska.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa