closing argument poll: how did the prosecution do?

Your review of the prosecution closing:

• Great!! (like five stars great!)

Votes: 389 78.0%
  • pretty great! (it was great but I would have added some stuff)

Votes: 83 16.6%
  • It was good.

Votes: 11 2.2%
  • It was okay.

Votes: 7 1.4%
  • It was not so good.

Votes: 8 1.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.2%

• Total voters
Smelly, if u are watching it now, please take note of what the things are that Nurmi objects to. I know he objected 4 or 5 times. One thing was the gas can---he objected to that not being admitted as evidence as a lie. So I think he wil try and fight that tomorrow.

I am now wondering what the other things are that he will try and dispute tomorrow. I think one of them was also the knife---Juan said she brought it with her and Nurmi said --facts not in evidence...

I just commented his objections in the other thread. I couldn't understand his first objection, what he said, but it was when JM was talking about snooping at his texts and that she didn't even have a name for whoever female he was cheating with.

His next objection was "not in evidence" to JM saying she reported 20 violent acts to Karp.

Both overruled. He made another "not in evidence" objection I heard in passing, about whether she said she returned it to that Walmart.

His objections are dumb. Saying she brought the knife is a valid inference. KN is desperate as he has been the whole trial.

I like when Juanderful used a bit of sarcasm while presenting the receipt for the gas cans:

"This is the going price of premeditation these days---$12.96"

My vote: Great!! (like five stars great!)
I have watched a lot of trial's and I have never watched a prosecutor like JM.
When he went to his quite voice today I could feel the compassion and sincerity of his closing. You can tell he love's to put the bad guys/gals away forever.

The second half was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. When he showed the last known photo of Travis alive sitting in the shower that was brilliant.

When he gave his account of the murder scene and how Travis must have reacted his voice was almost reverend; not loud but in a tone that showed respect to the man who lost his life. Nice touch to keep the jury's attention.

Love, Love, Love Juan........best ever!!!!!!!! Go Juan Go! You are a super hero for Travis~

I believe JM did a great job. I loved how he brought Travis into the courtroom. I only hope he talks about the the time frame of the photos and the murder. There was no time to look for a gun and knife! Jodi had those weapons available and thus premeditated.

Juan Martinez was outstanding in this closing argument He ROCKED!

One more thing that is just unbelievable to me - he has sat there, the lone lawyer for the state, for four months. He has always been on top of this case - NEVER has he been caught unaware by anything the defense has introduced in the trial.

I don't know if there has ever been a case in which one lawyer, alone, has stood for the state in a case as big as this. His passion and respect for the family of Travis Alexander has been apparent from the start. He is incredible.

Really well put. He is awesome!!!!!!!

He kept doing two things over and over that I thought were incredibly important.
  • Reminding the jury that JA and ALV looked them in the eye and lied. This takes on added importance imho because that applied to jury questions as well. They might expect some fudging on questions from Juan but expected the truth in the questions they themselves asked.
  • Cutting through all the BS distractions to weave things into a story that will appeal to the jurors' common sense. The defense case rests upon a house of cards of "she said X but she really meant the opposite of X" and "the fact that she didn't say X means X really happened". If people rely on their eyes and their brains they will have to see what he said fits.
I know Jean Casarez rubs a lot of WSers the wrong way, but she summed it up well at some point yesterday, saying something along the lines of "Travis Alexander was alive in that courtroom today, speaking through Juan Martinez."

I voted 5 star GREAT!!!! Best closing I've ever heard! Thanks for the poll, Nursebeeme!

:rockon:

I didn't see all of his closing, but most of it, I think JM was brilliant in the points he brought up!

I voted good.
My reason is that I feel that Mr. Martinez excels in cross examination.
If I wasn't comparing; I would have probably gone with the second option.
I will wait until his closing is complete to make a definitive opinion.

He was downright great. I don't know how Nurmi thinks he's going to top him.

Maybe this has already been posted but...would the person who voted "It was not so good" please explain what you meant by this. I truly would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Brilliant!!!!

If she brought the gun there is premeditation.

If she didn't bring the gun there is felony murder.

Case closed

I think the same thing could be said about the knife. Didn't Jodi say that Travis got a knife out of the knife block downstairs to cut the rope? I don't think the picture of the knife block showed any knife missing, and Detective Flores said that none of the knives at the house matched the knife used to kill Travis. So Jodi has basically admitted that she either stole Travis's gun (that he didn't have) or his knife from the kitchen. If the gunshot happened first but didn't kill or incapacitate him, as some on this board believe, then Jodi HAD TIME TO REFLECT on what she was doing while she was going for the knife. It doesn't matter if she had the knife in her purse or backpack of if it was in Travis's bedroom or kitchen. Have you looked at his sleigh bed? I don't see any way he could tie her to that bed. It doesn't matter whether you believe she used the gun first or the knife first, there is so much evidence of premeditation. Before Juan mentioned it yesterday, I had not even thought about Jodi bringing the CDs being premeditation. In fact, I forgot that she brought them. The only people those CDs meant anything to were Jodi and TRAVIS. Jodi left her home IN A RENTAL CAR with those CDs. JODI WENT TO MESA TO KILL TRAVIS ALEXANDER!

Juan did a phenomenal job yesterday. I hope that the jurors are smart enough to see through all the crap that Nurmi throws in to see what sticks. This case is not about sex. it's about OBSESSION! Travis Alexander did not deserve to die! I didn't see the beginning of the closing arguments yesterday, but I hope when Juan gets back up, that he will tell about all the good things that Travis did and how he was trying to turn his life around.

Maybe this has already been posted but...would the person who voted "It was not so good" please explain what you meant by this. I truly would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.
i would, too
because the entire "story" was riveting to me in a way that the disjointed trial could not be!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back