penalty phase #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got home from work, came here and watched Steven and Samantha's stàtements.

Absolutely heart wrenching, yet this is part of the road they must travel to begin healing.

Almost five years later, they are finally allowed to put words to their pain.

Powerful, indeed. I stand in awe.

I so agree. I never realized Jean was like this until it was pointed out here a few weeks ago how she like to start trouble by saying outrageous things in favor of the defense. I then started watching and listening to what she was saying and lo and behold, that is exactly what she does. She is purposely being controversial and she knows it.

She is just sneaky about it. She has this way of coming across believable and truthful, but when you watch her for a few weeks, there has been some outrageous things she says that really may be nothing more than her trying to sling some mud at the prosecution and cause an audience reaction for ratings.

I am so over Jean. Give me Beth anytime.

And she makes everything so melodramatic. We have all seen JAs mother throughout the trial but Jean paints an unrealistic picture of this woman and wants to morph her into being endearing which imo is just not the truth.

IMO

Yabbut.....

I don't think the jury will know that she is not being shown on camera.

I agree with you though! If she's not willing to show her face, then that just says to me that she can't stand up for Jodi 100%. Speaks volumes.

How could the jury not know? Wont they be seeing or hearing the same thing, so they would have to know , wouldnt they?

Finally caught up on victim impacts from today. Wow, that was tough. I am glad JA shed a few real tears but I still don't buy that they are tears of remorse. Remorse over having to sit there and listen to these statements, maybe. Were the siblings told not to explicitly mention the (attempted) character assassination of Travis? I would have be ALL over that if it were my brother.

Such a sad day. Sometimes this world feels like madness.

There was no remorse. Just as his family was mourning the loss of Travis from their lives, JA was grieving the loss of the life she wanted... They were describing how awesome Travis was and how hard he worked and how he worked to achieve his dreams. How he made something from nothing. And JA wanted his life so badly that when he kicked her out of his life, he too had to forfeit it. She wasn't crying over what Travis lost, or how devastated his family is... she was crying over what SHE lost and how he cost her everything. She is NOT sorry.

For his family to speak of the lies JA told about their brother would be reminding the world of the lies that she told. Stephen touched on it and I believe that was enough. The jury knows she made that stuff up. They didn't need to let those words...those filthy LIES pass their lips, even to defend him. Juan did that well enough.

I just keep wondering if she had only stabbed him once and he died how would this trial have gone.

Maybe she did this one before the Judge shut her down. Maybe it was by phone this past weekend. I saw it somewhere this morning that she told People mag that after doing the other interview she has changed her mind and now wants to live.

IMO

Ahh okies thx :seeya:

I so agree. I never realized Jean was like this until it was pointed out here a few weeks ago how she like to start trouble by saying outrageous things in favor of the defense. I then started watching and listening to what she was saying and lo and behold, that is exactly what she does. She is purposely being controversial and she knows it.

She is just sneaky about it. She has this way of coming across believable and truthful, but when you watch her for a few weeks, there has been some outrageous things she says that really may be nothing more than her trying to sling some mud at the prosecution and cause an audience reaction for ratings.

I think she is pinning her hopes on this case leading her to a big network anchoring job.

She's going to be bitterly disappointed.

I just keep wondering if she had only stabbed him once and he died how would this trial have gone.

You read my mind. Been wondering about that the past few days...or one gunshot...and left him to die. She hung herself. Took her own crime scene pics and went stabby enough to get the DP.

Jean lost me during the Melanie McGuire trial. McGuire is the woman from NJ who killed her husband, chopped him up into pieces and placed his body parts in separate suitcases and drove to Maryland/Virginia and threw the suitcases into the Chesapeake Bay. McGuire is somewhat attractive in appearance and very petite and throughout that trial Jean C seemed enthralled by her -referring to Melanie as being "LOVELY, Just Lovely!" Made me ill and I've never forgotten it. I'll take Beth ANY DAY! Beth is awesome. She's genuine, smart, and a straight shooter. No drama or BS with Beth!

I just watched Samantha and Stephen and they absolutely broke my heart. I did not even know Travis and I was near bawling at one point. The fact that JA was not a mess shows me that she has no feeling. That she is not sorry. That she does not feel bad for his family.

I am stuck between which would be a worse fate for JA. Life in prison or the death penalty. I do not believe anything she says about wanting death, I almost think she says that because she would prefer life. Nothing is bad enough for her. However, I truly wish the family was able to decide her fate, if they in fact wanted to make that decision. The Alexander family has such class that I do not even know if they would do what would be worst for JA. This family is amazing

So this "childhood friend" of JA's ... Patricia/Patty/? That was granted the right to have her face blurred out when she testifies for JA's "character".

We've all seen her pix ... In court and various interviews, why the need to cover her face now?
Did she get PAID by the networks for her appearance on 20/20 or 48 hours (whatever show she was on talking about JA) ??
She wasn't concerned about showing her face then.
Just saying ...

She certainly got paid for the pictures.

MOO

Isn't there some kind of copyright law? Why haven't we heard from these companies and the original artists? Another highlight on her being a first offender :floorlaugh:

Will she show a picture of the underwear she sold on EBay?

Here's the People Magazine article, it was a source (probably Donovan) who said Arias changed her mind about the DP.

After her conviction, Arias told a reporter that she would prefer to die quickly than to live a long life in prison. A source close to Arias tells PEOPLE that, after reflecting on what she said, Arias would prefer a life sentence over execution.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20700733,00.html

How could the jury not know? Wont they be seeing or hearing the same thing, so they would have to know , wouldnt they?

OMG! Yes! They would know!!!

I HAD A MAJOR AIRHEAD MOMENT! LOL!

So embarrassed!

ETA - I think I was thinking that she would physically be in the court room and jurors would see her face, but it wouldn't be shown on camera. But they are video taping her, hey? DUH on my part.

Does anybody know if Juan can call more people for the penalty phase? Wondering what this motion is all about:

Motion 5/16/2013
Defendants Motion to Preclude States Penalty Phase Witnesses for Failure to Notice

she can do interviews with people???

Good evening Mellinyce and everyone!
:seeya:

This must have been before the Judge's order NOT to do interviews, or as quoted in an earlier post, a "source" told People.

One question. I have seen parts of Nurmi's addressing the court today, however, nothing on whether he is finished or if there will be more tomorrow?

:waitasec:

I went to work for a few hours. Is it safe to say noone is at the helm?

All these talking heads are now yapping about Dr. Drew's "reaction to his reaction of Samantha's statement." Why, oh, why do I watch this every night?

Does anybody know if Juan can call more people for the penalty phase? Wondering what this motion is all about:

Motion 5/16/2013
Defendants Motion to Preclude States Penalty Phase Witnesses for Failure to Notice

Very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members