George Zimmerman /Trayvon Martin General Discussion #14 Friday July 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember learning via child psychology that individuals in their teens believe they are immortal. IMO

The adolescent brain is still developing and their reasoning skills differ from those of an adult brain. Adolescents tend to act more on impulse.

That may be so but when you are claiming self defense you have to prove something IMO

No, you don't have to prove anything. If you use the "Stand Your Ground" defense, you have to prove something.

This trial requires the state to prove he did NOT shoot in self-defense.

IMHO

Why should we believe part of RJ's testimony but not another? GZ should be found innocent because RJ said TM was at his dad's, but GZ cannot be suspected as possibly being at fault when RJ says she heard TM say "get off, get off"? That is being selective and is not really considering the evidence. IMO

Am I crazy or didn't RJ say Trayvon told her he was "near" his Dad's? "Near" is not the same as "at." Anywhere on the sidewalk could be referred to as "near."

Again, emotions play a role in life and that is why we are here. Do you think TM and GZ were thinking of the law when this happened? or do you think they went on emotions?

No. They don't. We have to take the facts and apply them.

We can only speculate to their feelings by their actions. But we have to take those actions and apply them to the law and see how that fits.

The evidence shows me that TM was not afraid. That GZ was and that he was screaming for help, Waiting for someone to come and help him. NO ONE CAME. When he was in fear for his life, He shot to save it.

The Prosecutor has not shown me anything different.

I waited, I listened to all the witnesses. I wanted to see it. It is just not there.

I'll bite. Guilty of Manslaughter.

I agree with him being charged for manslaughter. While I personally can see how the defense arrived at 2nd degree charges (even the lead investigator wanted 2nd degree initially), unfortunately I don't see the jury going for it. It's highly likely that GZ will be charged with manslaughter, and since it was committed with a firearm, he'll likely do a decent amount of time for it, at least 10 years.

What if I attack my neighbor, they end up overpowering me and straddling me so I shoot them? Do I have every right to defend myself?

are you implying that TM was attacked? Can you point to ANY evidence that shows any injury on TM except the GSW?

I think the gunshot gun recoiled caused Zimmerman's injuries, not the victim.
I've shot that type of gun before, and the recoil wasn't bad at all. Zimmerman is bigger than me, it should have been easy to handle.
My opinion of course. :twocents::twocents::twocents:

Probably the most important part of this closing argument. The injuries don't even matter, if you feel like more harm is coming, you can legally shoot someone. I don't think anyone is arguing that more harm was coming...IMO

GZ shot TM in self defense but we need to know what caused this to happen and unfortunately in this case, no one, but GZ and TM, knows what actually happened. And IMO GZ is going to stretch the truth and leave things out because after all he shot and killed someone. He had better have a good story to back up his claim. :twocents:

To be clear....I hate war, I hate guns....but after hearing this case, I want to THANK the people defending Right to Carry Laws!!

That is ONE right that should NEVER be taken away from us. The right to defend our property, family AND our selves.

IMO

Yes, yes, yes!

I think the gunshot gun recoiled caused Zimmerman's injuries, not the victim.

While that may be your personal opinion as a trial watcher, if you were a juror, you would be jumping the proverbial shark, IMO, to assume that, since the State has not brought any evidence whatsoever to support that assumption, nor has the State entertained such a scenario during this trial.

What if I attack my neighbor, they end up overpowering me and straddling me so I shoot them? Do I have every right to defend myself?

No because you were the aggressor. You attacked your neighbor.

Now we come to this case. We cannot determine who the aggressor was. And that benefits the defense, not the state.

That is not what the law says. If he has a reasonable fear of great bodily injury or death, That is self defense. That is what the law says.

People don't have like it but it is the LAW. Not up to subjective feelings.

IT is the law. He was already bloodied. He was being held down on the ground.

He was afraid and calling for help.

That meets the burden of reasonable fear. That is all that is needed.

I don't agree with you. That is all. I don't believe that he was in fear of his life. He did not try to protect himself at all. He has never said that he hit TM. How do you fear for your life and not fight back? I don't believe his only option was to shoot an unarmed 17 year old. I believe the state has proved manslaughter. Plain and simple. My opinion doesn't matter because its up to the jury. But just because I don't agree with you doesn't make me wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or, when you're out at night in pitch black dark running errands, keep situational awareness of your surroundings. Walk with a purpose and be aware of hearing or seeing anyone around you.

If you sense someone around you that makes you fearful for your safety and you are far from safe harbor and have a cell phone, run and call 911.

If you reach your house go inside and be safe, call police to report, the cops will want to patrol the area and question anyone they see. IMO

Unless you run, think you're safe, and the person pops up again like a jack in the box and tries to grab you before you can do any of those other things, while you desperately strike out and scream "get off, get off!"

Food for thought... Some may see this, some may not... but food for thought anyway:

In your own neighborhood, for whatever your own reasons, you and your husband or boyfriend see somebody outside who seems suspicious...

How many of your husbands/boyfriends would go outside to investigate, and possibly bring something with them (golf club, bat, etc). Just curious.

Going to investigate someone or something that YOU deem suspicious is not the craziest concept in the world. I've heard noises before and have grabbed a coat hanger to go investigate. Probably smarter to stay locked in my bedroom. But I still went to look because I wanted to know what was up.

Food for thought.

IMO

Inside my house, you get shot.
Outside my house...no. That would be asking for trouble.

I've shot that type of gun before, and the recoil wasn't bad at all. Zimmerman is bigger than me, it should have been easy to handle.
My opinion of course. :twocents::twocents::twocents:

Even if it was recoil, it would have cut him. IMO, not just broken his nose.

Also, given the angle since TM was on top and shot in the chest, GZ wonuln't have had the gun in front of his face.

Again, JMO

I also have to say that I find it off putting when people refer to O'Mara as mom, lol. But that's JMO.

When I jumped in here and started posting mid-trial I thought a few people had mommy issues because I kept seeing "I can't take MOM's voice anymore" or "MOM is doing a terrible job." :floorlaugh:

I think MOM is doing a brilliant job.

I find this display of witnesses and summarizing all the testimony in the framework of the defense is very effective.

I am sure this is not a tactic for this purpose, but I think his calm, soft-spokeness is going to really help the public/MSM to avoid ratcheting up the rhetoric about the race aspects of the case.

I really admire him. Thank goodness West didn't do the closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
binkabish