MA MA - Neo Babson Maximus, aka Charles Allen, 22, Dartmouth, 12 Oct 2007

I just had another recollection about Charlie, or "Neo" as we knew him back in the day when, for a year or so, he was the best HLDM player in the world (until the Europeans finally got their shizznit together and blew us Americans away). I used to love watching Neo play, and even more so, at times, the things he had to say. Anyway, he was playing this match and his opponent was *****ing nonstop about his father. At one point, Neo said, "yeah but...you know your Dad loves you". And I was thinking to myself, "No Neo, you know YOUR Dad loves you. Ain't necessarily so for some of the rest of us."

There's an in depth New Yorker article that really lays out the reality of bipolar disorder with psychosis. Sorry I can't access the entire article, but the summary is worth reading: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/30/110530fa_fact_aviv.

Charlie's case is eerily similar to that of Wojciech Fudali. Both from Massachusetts, both college students, both headed into the woods without appropriate clothing.

The DSM-IV notes that the mortality rate for Bipolar I with psychosis is one in five. Sadly, sadly, sadly many of those deaths are due to causes other than suicide: exposure, starvation, untreated blood infections, mania-related recklessness.

Young people with Bipolar I go missing so frequently that the NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) webpage actually links to Project Jason.

God bless all the parents and loved ones of the mentally ill.

There's an in depth New Yorker article that really lays out the reality of bipolar disorder with psychosis. Sorry I can't access the entire article, but the summary is worth reading: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2011/05/30/110530fa_fact_aviv.

Charlie's case is eerily similar to that of Wojciech Fudali. Both from Massachusetts, both college students, both headed into the woods without appropriate clothing.

The DSM-IV notes that the mortality rate for Bipolar I with psychosis is one in five. Sadly, sadly, sadly many of those deaths are due to causes other than suicide: exposure, starvation, untreated blood infections, mania-related recklessness.

Young people with Bipolar I go missing so frequently that the NAMI (National Alliance for Mental Illness) webpage actually links to Project Jason.

God bless all the parents and loved ones of the mentally ill.

Here is a link to a pdf of the article.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...=qjCELB4MLriRJySrQPHz6Q&bvm=bv.44770516,d.b2I

I just seen this episode today as well. I heard mention of his climbing in a second story building and having a conversation with the woman that lived there. Could she contribute any of the conversation? Did he maybe mention who he was where he was going etc?

He was very polite and apologized. He said he was looking for his friend and appeared confused about where he was. He mentioned the name of a close friend of Charles Allen, suggesting the invader really was Charles Allen and that he was in a confused state of mind.

I think that there is a good chance he is living. To me his case screams walk out. He probably thought that by leaving he could get his family out of the danger that he thought he was in.

But why would he not use his bank cards? Why would he not contact his family once he realized he wasn't in danger?

Just saw this on Disappeared. What a shame. Unless the family is downplaying the illness in case he's watching, they really do seem to be in denial about mental illness, how it can get worse, change, and even have some new onset around Charlie's age. He didn't look well in hardly any of the pics and the videos showed him acting manic. He could have gotten harmed or hurt while out roaming around, but surely it's very unlikely that anyone was ever after him. All the evidence points to severe mania with psychosis, if not worse. If he couldn't find homes and his school then he was was terrible shape, and the homeowners knew it was him. I'm wondering if mental hospitals and treatment centers will give out any information at all to private detectives who try to track Charlie down. If not, maybe that's why he can't be found. They didn't mention anything about him ever having severe depression at times or possibly harming himself as a result.

I felt that way too .. that they didn't want to accept that he had become psychotic, which can be a feature of Bipolar and seemed like an obvious conclusion from the program .. he deleted his emails, facebook, online activity etc .. he was clearly suffering from some kind of paranoid fears .. the poor kid, it's very sad, I hope he is OK somewhere, but it has been a long time .. so sad.

I just wanted to say too that if someone says the answers can be found in the periodic table, it doesn't mean that .. it means that they are suffering from some kind of paranoia which gives deep meaning to things that have no meaning ..

http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/delusional-disorder

Read here for psychotic symptoms in Bipolar disorder ..

http://www.blackdoginstitute.org.au...explained/maniahypomaniadefined.cfm#Psychotic

Persecutory delusions:
In this type of delusion the person believes that people are after him or her, that something really bad is about to happen to them or to someone they know. Although it can occur in mania, this type of delusion can also be seen in other psychotic illnesses and is therefore not diagnostic of bipolar disorder per se.

Example: Believing people are following them as they walk down the street, or that someone is out to hurt them or someone they know.

If he made it to a major city, Charlie could be living and surviving amongst the homeless .. that's where I would focus my search efforts if I was in his family.

His friend said (on disappeared) that he called his phone multiple times everyday for 5-6 months. Leaving messages until the voicemail was full and it rang out or hung up! A phone doesn't stay charged for 5-6 months?????

Since find out out about it, I can get this case out of my head.. Anyone else?

Since find out out about it, I can get this case out of my head.. Anyone else?
Yep. I still think about it from time to time and I'm always hoping for new information, but it doesn't look like we'll ever get any.

As it currently stands, I just really don't think there's enough information available to us. If nothing changes I don't think we'll ever come to a conclusion. All we can really do is speculate the causes of his actions up until when he was last seen.

At least we can still hope that he is alive somewhere.

Initially, after seeing this "Kai the Hatchet Wielding Hitchhiker" fellow, I thought he looked somewhat similar to Charlie, however that's just grasping at straws. :\
t8lf.png

It seems that others noticed the resemblance as well because it got around to his family. However, they said that it definitely isn't Charlie (On Facebook).

Anyway, I'm wondering if there was ever any new information uncovered by the private investigator his family hired (John Leccese). Has anyone tried to contact him and see if he'd be willing to share any information (assuming there's anything new at all). Of course even if there were any new information it's still highly unlikely that he'd share any of it. I'm going to contact him via email. If anyone else feels like doing the same, you can find his email address on his website.

One thing I find slightly suspicious is how some of those close to him had already begun referring to him in past tense. For example, a friend of his who had set up a page for him on Myspace said "Charlie was one of the most intelligent people I’ve ever known.". This was said by a friend of Charlie's on the Myspace page that had been set up for Charlie. The Myspace page was set up by the same friend. (No longer useful due to major changes made to Myspace) Anyway, I just find it slightly suspicious for someone close to him to refer to him it past tense like that so early on when he could very well still be alive out there somewhere. I'm most likely just over examining things though.

Hoping for new leads. :\

I had recently watched the story of his disappearance on TV. Though it seems a possibility that his mental illness played a role, those closest too him (family, friends) do not agree. They would know him best. So if that is put aside, his last statements indicate he was concerned someone wanted to do him harm. Is there any possible motive? If I remember correctly, he stated he had not removed his Facebook account, someone else did, which would take some computer skill. Though I know very little about Charles/Neo, i do know he was a top Half Life player for a couple years around 2001/02. Then I read the European (maybe German) teams took over which might have left some resentment in Neo. In 2003, Axel Grebbe ("Ago") hacked into the Half Life's company's files to leak the beta version of Half Life 2. The owner asked the Half Life community for help finding the culprit and they/someone must have helped since Axel was caught and the owner thanked the community for it's help. Does anyone know if Neo/Charles assisted or played the main role in identifying Axel? With Neo's skills, it's quite possible and if he did, this may have caused some resentment. Axel came off probation, not too long before the disappearance of Neo/Charles, and has amazing computer skills. I wonder if the "Ag" in Ago not only are the first letters of his first and last names but also stand for the element silver in the periodic table.

I am of the opinion that, at least on the Disappeared episode, Charlie's family did not seem very realistic about the potential role mental illness may have played in his disappearance given that he was not taking his prescribed medications and that the early 20's is generally a time where mental illnesses can really erupt. His sister in particular seemed to indicate a few times throughout the program that she felt his mental illness was not a reason for his strange behavior and disappearance.

I am inclined to disagree, but of course I do not know Charlie and I am not his doctor.

That being said, I believe there is certainly a good chance he is alive.

It seems to always be the simplest explanation that is most likely. He was seen in the vicinity of a coastal cliff and some if his documents washed up on shore. It would seem to add up that he accidentally fell over.

It seems to always be the simplest explanation that is most likely. He was seen in the vicinity of a coastal cliff and some if his documents washed up on shore. It would seem to add up that he accidentally fell over.

Huh? Can you elaborate?

Could be - if that's the one where his ID washed up on shore. My mistake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member