The Case of JonBenet Ramsey-CBS Sept. 18

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the family coped with the fact that "if" Burke did this then he doesn't seem to have shown remorse ?

So the family decide to cover it too save face as they did not want to be "that family" but you then have to deal with the fall out and all by yourselves as you have a nearly 10 year old who has just killed a sibling. And from the small clips of the interviews he doesn't seem to care or show any real emotion.

So he is jealous of his sister and he gets what he wants so there is punishment for the crime and so how do the parents actually get help. I am wondering if a lot of it was just swift under the carpet IMO

Lin Wood sees a big paycheck in his future as does Burke Ramsey.

Rolling Stone got so much wrong in their article that I don't have time to address it. Shameful.

Burke Ramsey's prints were on the bowl of pineapple and the iced tea glass, his boot print in the WC (yes, he admitted on DP he had a pair of hiking boots with a compass on the shoelace and we know from otg (?) that HiTechs had compasses on the shoelaces in the 1996 era), his DNA on the nightgown found next to he body, he roamed the house alone that night by his own admission, he was heard by the 911 operator on the call, he admitted on DP that he was awake and only pretended to be asleep in the morning. These are hard facts. The reaction of the parents to all of these facts was to deny, disown, disavow. Why?

A bowl of pineapple and milk with an iced tea glass should be innocuous items in anyone's home. What was the response of the Ramsey adults? "I didn't serve that like that", "that spoon is too big for that", "is that one of the good spoons?", "I don't remember having pineapple in the house", "that's a big bowl", "JBR didn't have a snack before bed", "no pineapple was served at the White's", 'are you sure Burke's prints are on that bowl and glass?", "the intruder must have fed her that", "Santa must have fed her that". Mic drop. They twisted and contorted themselves to get as far away from that bowl of pineapple with Burke's prints as possible because and only because JBR had pineapple in her digestive tract at autopsy. Guilty knowledge that the pineapple factors in to what happened later - the murder of JBR. Lastly, but surely not least, Burke's reaction to the photo of the bowl of pineapple. There is no reason for him to react to this photo as if he had seen a ghost, or been caught strangling a cat, unless that particular item was relevant to something he did not want to talk about or own. He was at a loss for words and then kneeled on his hands on the chair as he pretended to not be able to identify an obvious object in the photo. When asked what kind of snacks JBR liked, he responded "she didn't get a snack". Twenty years later, he "maybe" ate pineapple and then "would you remember what you ate 20 years ago?".

The HiTech boot print that Lou Smit used as evidence to bolster his perverted intruder theory. Again, contorted, twisting responses to distance anyone in the family from being in the WC. "we didn't own any HiTech boots", "Burke had some boots but I don't remember the brand, they had little compasses on them", "he was asleep", "the intruder wore these boots". Even Lin Wood stated on the DP show that the Ramsey family never owned a pair of HiTech boots! But, Burke admitted he owned hiking boots with a compass on the shoelace and otg(?) found an add for HiTech boots from 1996 which depict the signature compass on them. Most telling is that after Burke admitted that he owned the dang HiTech boots, he stated "I was always in the basement playing so what does that prove?" Mic drop. The Ramseys allowed Lou Smit to develop a theory of an intruder using, in part, the boot print, knowing full well that Burke owned those boots. Why? Because that boot print puts him IN the murder scene. Does it prove he was there that particular night? No. But the denials tell us it is important.

Burke Ramsey is heard on the 911 call at 5:52am. They can all talk about the enhanced recordings and subjective interpretations of the sounds forever and ever but the fact remains that the operator, Kim Archuleta, heard 3 distinct voices after Patsy stopped talking to her. Again, the lies and distortions. "Burke was asleep, he knows nothing", "we woke him at 7am to go to the White's house". BUT, Burke himself tells us he was awake, just pretending to be asleep after Patsy came into his room, which by her account, she did before the 911 call. Why is it important that Burke be sleep? So no one will question him. Why are they afraid for Burke to be questioned by LE who arrived to investigate the overnight kidnapping of his sister? Add it up and you know. Twenty years later, Burke continues to claim it wasn't him on the call, unless someone erased his memory. Wha?? Apparently, he had not heard of Kim Archuleta yet.

The Grand Jury voted to charge both parents with accessory to first degree murder, assisting or conspiring to assist in the cover up of FDM, among other charges. Neither was charged with first degree murder, so just who were they assisting after the murder? Well, they weren't assisting the elusive intruder. There were three people in the house and 2 are charged as conspirators, accessories after the fact. I do not think it takes a quantum leap of faith to deduct that they were charged with assisting in the cover up of the crime committed but the 3rd person in the house - Burke Ramsey.

tDNA is irrelevant to the case. Dr. Lee performed DNA tests on panties from a brand new, unopened, package of panties and found what? DNA. Yep, DNA deposited during the manufacturing and packaging process. He explained how simple it is to have other people's DNA all over us and how easy it is to transfer DNA from one object to another, object to person, and even object to person to person. tDNA can be analyzed from a single cell. He opined that this tDNA likely came from someone who sewed the panties, worked in the sewing room or the packaging department of the manufacturer. It is hardly worthy of being THE key piece of evidence that exonerates the three people in the house the night of the murder. Let'snot even go to where some have, that there was tDNA from 5-6 people on JBR, non of which could be sourced because following Mary Lacy's logic and Lin Wood's acceptance of that, it would mean that there were 5-6 unidentifiable people, all touching JBR before, during and after her murder.

The spider web. JR admitted that he broke the window to gain entry into the house one night after he locked himself out of the house about a year before the murder. FW noticed the window on his first visit, the window was unlocked and slightly open. JR told FW that he had done this. When asked to look for entry points, JR never brought up the broken window because he knew it was insignificant. However, Lou Smit decided that this was the entry point and demonstrated how a person could get into the house from the window, completely disregarding the presence of a spider's web that remained undisturbed and the accumulated debris in the window well that also was undisturbed as evidenced by crime scene photos. An entomologist determined the species that created that web and stated that such spiders do not create webs in the winter, that the web was old and left over from a previous season and the spider could not have rebuilt the web overnight after the intruder entered. CBS showed that no one could climb through that window and leave the spider web intact or the debris in the window well undisturbed. Riveting, compelling, proof that the basement window was NOT the entry point. But, the Ramseys latched onto it to support the mythical intruder theory to deflect from the truth.

Burke Ramsey hit his sister in anger with a golf club. Judith Phillips, who has no dog in this fight, told CBS that Patsy Ramsey herself said that the mark under JBR's eye was caused by Burke when he was angry and hit JBR with a golf club. Period. It was not an accidental back swing as Burke suggested- Patsy would have said so. Even DP says the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. We know that Burke was capable of striking his sister with an object in anger. While one little episode of sibling argument may be meaningless, every memory that Burke expressed of his sister seemed to be one of conflict: fighting over space in the back seat of the car, fighting over who gets to press elevator buttons, squabbles over toys. The nicest memory he recounted was her falling off of her bike on Christmas day and then sitting on it.

Poop. Lots of poop stories. Poop on the walls, poop in the bed, poop stains on clothes, poop left unflushed in toilets, poop, poop, poop, but most important is the poop in the candy box. I can not get the comments Dr. Glass made in her interview with Tricia out of my head. She, a behavior analyst, said that poop in the candy was an act of 'violence' and 'hatred' towards JBR. I would have thought it was just a sick, disgusting thing to do but she describes it as an act AGAINST JB, personal, and done with malice.

I've moved on with my life. Thirteen days after the murder, Burke has moved on with his life. The entire city of Boulder is terrified by the thought that there is a sexually perverted, child killer loose in their community, Patsy told them so on CNN, yet Burke is not afraid. He isn't sad because he just plays, (insert noises) games on his machine. He is delighted that his school is surrounded by media who ask his friends about him as they go to and from school. He mimics them putting microphones in the kids' faces. When asked what he thinks happened, he states, with a bit of indignance, "I KNOW what happened" and then describes (and mimics) tip toeing downstairs quietly into the basement, maybe with a knife, and then "whoops" hit JBR in the head with maybe a hammer. This is at a time when both parents are claiming that they never discussed what happened with him. He draws a picture of his family minus JBR and 20 years later explains, "well, she was gone, so. . ."

The black tape. IIRC it was in ST's book where we read of the black, red and white jackets/sweater jackets that Patsy and Priscilla owned, which were almost identical and that Patsy had put on Priscilla's jacket one night as she was leaving their house. It seems that Patsy's jacket/sweater jacket had a loose button or hem that was taped into place with some black tape. I remember it because it seemed so Patsy-like to try to 'exchange her defective jacket for PW's". The jacket does not become important until we realize that the sticky side of the black tape on JBR's mouth held fibers from Patsy's jacket and no black tape was found in the house. The next most curious fact is that John called AMX to try to figure out what Patsy bought at the hardware store, which just so happened to have sold the kind of tape and cord found on JBR's body.

Bring it Lin Wood. I will do my best to be in the courtroom to watch. CBS looked at all the evidence with fresh eyes and determined that it all led to one conclusion. The conclusion was opinion based on facts and expertise and your client exposed himself to the public and became a public figure before CBS aired its special. He should sue YOU for bad advice. As we used to say, you stepped on your own **** going on that show.

Great summary.

So many great posts today.

I totally agree that when BR went on Dr. Phil to shove their own theories out to the public, then CBS had fair game to provide their own theories. They kept saying it was just their theories.

I dont see him winning his case at all. I almost wonder if he did it to try to stop the missing 2 hours from being aired by CBS at some point.

I won't even watch the Horman show. DP is such a phony piece of $#!&. Never watching his show EVER again.

I used to respect his advice, but obviously he's gone all "Hollywood". I've been sick of the excessive "family promotion" he's been doing for the last few years. This has probably opened my eyes to his true character. I can never watch his show again in good conscience.

I wonder how the family coped with the fact that "if" Burke did this then he doesn't seem to have shown remorse ?

So the family decide to cover it too save face as they did not want to be "that family" but you then have to deal with the fall out and all by yourselves as you have a nearly 10 year old who has just killed a sibling. And from the small clips of the interviews he doesn't seem to care or show any real emotion.

So he is jealous of his sister and he gets what he wants so there is punishment for the crime and so how do the parents actually get help. I am wondering if a lot of it was just swift under the carpet IMO

And he didn't even have to go to school for awhile. He got to stay home and play video games (beep beep).

He got all the spoils from his murder. And if LW gets his way, the money will keep flowing.

The Rs no doubt had a very tough time with both children. They were a handful.

I do give them some sympathy for a lot of what they went through but where they started to err is when they started to blame innocent people to get the spotlight off of them and when they started to shun their friends.

A lot of their actions went too far in the way of animosity towards others. If they would have stayed the poor victim like they really were to a large extent then the public sympathy would have stayed with them.

This is shown in a big way when PR came down with cancer. She would have gotten all the sympathy in the world from the public but the problem was by the time that happened the Rs had already started to spiel unfound accusations toward parties that no evidence really pointed to them. They turned their backs on others and took actions that made them become more suspicious than ever before.

I am convinced if they would have not done some of the things they did post-JBR murder then they would have gotten a lot more support from the public.

Lin Wood sees a big paycheck in his future as does Burke Ramsey.

Rolling Stone got so much wrong in their article that I don't have time to address it. Shameful.

Burke Ramsey's prints were on the bowl of pineapple and the iced tea glass, his boot print in the WC (yes, he admitted on DP he had a pair of hiking boots with a compass on the shoelace and we know from otg (?) that HiTechs had compasses on the shoelaces in the 1996 era), his DNA on the nightgown found next to he body, he roamed the house alone that night by his own admission, he was heard by the 911 operator on the call, he admitted on DP that he was awake and only pretended to be asleep in the morning. These are hard facts. The reaction of the parents to all of these facts was to deny, disown, disavow. Why?

A bowl of pineapple and milk with an iced tea glass should be innocuous items in anyone's home. What was the response of the Ramsey adults? "I didn't serve that like that", "that spoon is too big for that", "is that one of the good spoons?", "I don't remember having pineapple in the house", "that's a big bowl", "JBR didn't have a snack before bed", "no pineapple was served at the White's", 'are you sure Burke's prints are on that bowl and glass?", "the intruder must have fed her that", "Santa must have fed her that". Mic drop. They twisted and contorted themselves to get as far away from that bowl of pineapple with Burke's prints as possible because and only because JBR had pineapple in her digestive tract at autopsy. Guilty knowledge that the pineapple factors in to what happened later - the murder of JBR. Lastly, but surely not least, Burke's reaction to the photo of the bowl of pineapple. There is no reason for him to react to this photo as if he had seen a ghost, or been caught strangling a cat, unless that particular item was relevant to something he did not want to talk about or own. He was at a loss for words and then kneeled on his hands on the chair as he pretended to not be able to identify an obvious object in the photo. When asked what kind of snacks JBR liked, he responded "she didn't get a snack". Twenty years later, he "maybe" ate pineapple and then "would you remember what you ate 20 years ago?".

The HiTech boot print that Lou Smit used as evidence to bolster his perverted intruder theory. Again, contorted, twisting responses to distance anyone in the family from being in the WC. "we didn't own any HiTech boots", "Burke had some boots but I don't remember the brand, they had little compasses on them", "he was asleep", "the intruder wore these boots". Even Lin Wood stated on the DP show that the Ramsey family never owned a pair of HiTech boots! But, Burke admitted he owned hiking boots with a compass on the shoelace and otg(?) found an add for HiTech boots from 1996 which depict the signature compass on them. Most telling is that after Burke admitted that he owned the dang HiTech boots, he stated "I was always in the basement playing so what does that prove?" Mic drop. The Ramseys allowed Lou Smit to develop a theory of an intruder using, in part, the boot print, knowing full well that Burke owned those boots. Why? Because that boot print puts him IN the murder scene. Does it prove he was there that particular night? No. But the denials tell us it is important.

Burke Ramsey is heard on the 911 call at 5:52am. They can all talk about the enhanced recordings and subjective interpretations of the sounds forever and ever but the fact remains that the operator, Kim Archuleta, heard 3 distinct voices after Patsy stopped talking to her. Again, the lies and distortions. "Burke was asleep, he knows nothing", "we woke him at 7am to go to the White's house". BUT, Burke himself tells us he was awake, just pretending to be asleep after Patsy came into his room, which by her account, she did before the 911 call. Why is it important that Burke be sleep? So no one will question him. Why are they afraid for Burke to be questioned by LE who arrived to investigate the overnight kidnapping of his sister? Add it up and you know. Twenty years later, Burke continues to claim it wasn't him on the call, unless someone erased his memory. Wha?? Apparently, he had not heard of Kim Archuleta yet.

The Grand Jury voted to charge both parents with accessory to first degree murder, assisting or conspiring to assist in the cover up of FDM, among other charges. Neither was charged with first degree murder, so just who were they assisting after the murder? Well, they weren't assisting the elusive intruder. There were three people in the house and 2 are charged as conspirators, accessories after the fact. I do not think it takes a quantum leap of faith to deduct that they were charged with assisting in the cover up of the crime committed but the 3rd person in the house - Burke Ramsey.

tDNA is irrelevant to the case. Dr. Lee performed DNA tests on panties from a brand new, unopened, package of panties and found what? DNA. Yep, DNA deposited during the manufacturing and packaging process. He explained how simple it is to have other people's DNA all over us and how easy it is to transfer DNA from one object to another, object to person, and even object to person to person. tDNA can be analyzed from a single cell. He opined that this tDNA likely came from someone who sewed the panties, worked in the sewing room or the packaging department of the manufacturer. It is hardly worthy of being THE key piece of evidence that exonerates the three people in the house the night of the murder. Let'snot even go to where some have, that there was tDNA from 5-6 people on JBR, non of which could be sourced because following Mary Lacy's logic and Lin Wood's acceptance of that, it would mean that there were 5-6 unidentifiable people, all touching JBR before, during and after her murder.

The spider web. JR admitted that he broke the window to gain entry into the house one night after he locked himself out of the house about a year before the murder. FW noticed the window on his first visit, the window was unlocked and slightly open. JR told FW that he had done this. When asked to look for entry points, JR never brought up the broken window because he knew it was insignificant. However, Lou Smit decided that this was the entry point and demonstrated how a person could get into the house from the window, completely disregarding the presence of a spider's web that remained undisturbed and the accumulated debris in the window well that also was undisturbed as evidenced by crime scene photos. An entomologist determined the species that created that web and stated that such spiders do not create webs in the winter, that the web was old and left over from a previous season and the spider could not have rebuilt the web overnight after the intruder entered. CBS showed that no one could climb through that window and leave the spider web intact or the debris in the window well undisturbed. Riveting, compelling, proof that the basement window was NOT the entry point. But, the Ramseys latched onto it to support the mythical intruder theory to deflect from the truth.

Burke Ramsey hit his sister in anger with a golf club. Judith Phillips, who has no dog in this fight, told CBS that Patsy Ramsey herself said that the mark under JBR's eye was caused by Burke when he was angry and hit JBR with a golf club. Period. It was not an accidental back swing as Burke suggested- Patsy would have said so. Even DP says the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. We know that Burke was capable of striking his sister with an object in anger. While one little episode of sibling argument may be meaningless, every memory that Burke expressed of his sister seemed to be one of conflict: fighting over space in the back seat of the car, fighting over who gets to press elevator buttons, squabbles over toys. The nicest memory he recounted was her falling off of her bike on Christmas day and then sitting on it.

Poop. Lots of poop stories. Poop on the walls, poop in the bed, poop stains on clothes, poop left unflushed in toilets, poop, poop, poop, but most important is the poop in the candy box. I can not get the comments Dr. Glass made in her interview with Tricia out of my head. She, a behavior analyst, said that poop in the candy was an act of 'violence' and 'hatred' towards JBR. I would have thought it was just a sick, disgusting thing to do but she describes it as an act AGAINST JB, personal, and done with malice.

I've moved on with my life. Thirteen days after the murder, Burke has moved on with his life. The entire city of Boulder is terrified by the thought that there is a sexually perverted, child killer loose in their community, Patsy told them so on CNN, yet Burke is not afraid. He isn't sad because he just plays, (insert noises) games on his machine. He is delighted that his school is surrounded by media who ask his friends about him as they go to and from school. He mimics them putting microphones in the kids' faces. When asked what he thinks happened, he states, with a bit of indignance, "I KNOW what happened" and then describes (and mimics) tip toeing downstairs quietly into the basement, maybe with a knife, and then "whoops" hit JBR in the head with maybe a hammer. This is at a time when both parents are claiming that they never discussed what happened with him. He draws a picture of his family minus JBR and 20 years later explains, "well, she was gone, so. . ."

The black tape. IIRC it was in ST's book where we read of the black, red and white jackets/sweater jackets that Patsy and Priscilla owned, which were almost identical and that Patsy had put on Priscilla's jacket one night as she was leaving their house. It seems that Patsy's jacket/sweater jacket had a loose button or hem that was taped into place with some black tape. I remember it because it seemed so Patsy-like to try to 'exchange her defective jacket for PW's". The jacket does not become important until we realize that the sticky side of the black tape on JBR's mouth held fibers from Patsy's jacket and no black tape was found in the house. The next most curious fact is that John called AMX to try to figure out what Patsy bought at the hardware store, which just so happened to have sold the kind of tape and cord found on JBR's body.

Bring it Lin Wood. I will do my best to be in the courtroom to watch. CBS looked at all the evidence with fresh eyes and determined that it all led to one conclusion. The conclusion was opinion based on facts and expertise and your client exposed himself to the public and became a public figure before CBS aired its special. He should sue YOU for bad advice. As we used to say, you stepped on your own **** going on that show.

Bravo!!! TeaTime you oughta be a closer. I agree with you!

And he didn't even have to go to school for awhile. He got to stay home and play video games (beep beep).

He got all the spoils from his murder. And if LW gets his way, the money will keep flowing.

Exactly :)

He actually got what he wanted by the sounds of it , I do think he lashed out but he was emotionally regressive that I don't think he has ever understood totally what he did from the looks of things.

I'm wondering if LW is just trying to get a guick settlement. Say CBS kicks him half a million or so, so what, they still made a nice profit on the show. I doubt jr and br will take it to court, Burke looks very guilty.

I agree with a lot of what you said but one thing does bother me. The police came to Indiana after Burke graduated from Purdue and wanted to ask him some questions concerning his sister's death. He refused to talk to the police. That bothers me. I don't think refusal necessarily indicates he did it but it indicates he isn't interested in solving this case.

I think Burke is sick sick sick of hearing about JonBenet and seeing her face on TV and the newspapers. Look how that's all changed now, all the focus is on him and it's his face we are seeing all over the news.

Dr. Phil asked Burke if he ever thought about JonBenet and Burke said yes when he had to take a test he would think i wish JonBenet was here and I was up there. I think of Family members and loved ones who are gone at family get togethers and when I am having fun and when I am seeing new places. Not when I am miserable.

But wasn't Patsy in remission? That's always been my understanding. She had ovarian cancer previously, and it came back well after JBRs death?

Eta: hmmm maybe I don't know the timeline based on some of the other posts? Anyone know definitively?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crim...s-over-heinous-jonbenét-docuseries/ar-BBws6Il

This is a current article....so many Threads, it could have gone anywhere. Mods, Please move if you need to.

JR lawyer LLWood said he will sue. I am not a lawyer, but even I wonder at some of the statements this guy comes up with....for being a lawyer! One that popped out to me was in this article....that CBS put this show up during the 'sweeps' week....just for publicity....I want to ask him what about JR and BR doing their interviews during the same time frame. Maybe over the years the R Family should have 'shut their trap' and faded away. They are the ones that bring the attention to themselves.

LLW always turns the tables and blames others but not his client and family.....instead there have been many lies by the R Family and LLWood.

What kind of punishment -- grounded? take away his Nintendo? Spanking?

There's nothing really to do other than try and get help for the child, psychiatric diagnosis, hospitalization. If one is a sociopath there's no cure. In fact some significant % of CEOs would test as sociopaths. They don't all kill, obviously, but empathy is not their thing.

The R's swept it all under the rug, but we don't know what kind of help may have been gotten for BR. I'm not saying there was any, but we don't know.

I recall reading that as JR Carried JB upstairs he said "he didn't mean to kill her, she has a blanket over her" witnessed by victim caregivers and Reverend Holstead. Can some of you great researchers find where this quote came from as I would greatly appreciate it.

So if JR said that, who was the only other he in the house that night..

I used to respect his advice, but obviously he's gone all "Hollywood". I've been sick of the excessive "family promotion" he's been doing for the last few years. This has probably opened my eyes to his true character. I can never watch his show again in good conscience.

DP really knows his stuff when it comes to the profession in which he was trained. He needs to stick to that and quit trying to be an FBI murder investigator.

I think DP just found that he likes it similar to how we here at WS enjoy trying to analyze and maybe even attempt to solve cases. DP really likes it BUT the problem is he has no official training in that regard that I know of and if he wants to continue down that path then he really needs to get some professional training.

The biggest mistake I see him making with his murder case shows is when he gets convinced that someone is innocent then he puts on huge blinders and he cannot see the forest amongst the trees. He is too stubborn.
He needs to learn to keep an open mind with these cases. Something he stops doing as soon as he convinces himself.

A perfect example is this case when Dr Phil took her side for the most part during one of his taped shows I saw.
I studied this case and there is no way this girl was innocent in this. She was the aggressor in most of their fights and there was a witness that heard her footsteps charging toward her husband before he flew out the window to his death falling many stories to the concrete below. She even said herself he was just standing near the window fidgeting with something before it happened. She was in a rage because he had already called his dad to come pick him up and get away from her and away from her arguing with him.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tulsa-woman-guilty-pushing-husband-window-article-1.1293065

The interesting thing is I think DP finally realized it too after the show aired because I have not seen him do any followups or even talk about the case anymore unless I missed it. During his show though he seemed to take her side and he came across as convinced that she did not do it on purpose. It was definitely on purpose based on the research I did about the case.

What kind of punishment -- grounded? take away his Nintendo? Spanking?

There's nothing really to do other than try and get help for the child, psychiatric diagnosis, hospitalization. If one is a sociopath there's no cure. In fact some significant % of CEOs would test as sociopaths. They don't all kill, obviously, but empathy is not their thing.

The R's swept it all under the rug, but we don't know what kind of help may have been gotten for BR. I'm not saying there was any, but we don't know.

Well if they did seek some kind of help then I would ask for a refund as he is still the same creepy 9 year old and bare in mind from Dr Phil he is only socially awkward and there is nothing else wrong with him. So taking that at face value then his behaviour is even creepier.

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/bur...-jonbenet-plans-to-sue-cbs-over-false-attack/

Burke Ramsey Says He Didn’t Kill JonBenét, Plans to Sue CBS Over ‘False’ Attack
September 21st, 2016

"The recent special, “The Case Of: JonBenét Ramsey,” which aired on CBS earlier this week, has drawn widespread attention for exploring the 20-year-old unsolved mystery of the 6-year-old girl’s death. In the show, investigators examined evidence and came to the conclusion that JonBenét’s brother Burke Ramsey, who was 9 at the time, was the likely culprit. While not everyone bought into the theory that the boy killed his little sister — perhaps by accident — , and then his parents covered it up to protect him, it’s gotten a lot of people talking.
Now, L. Lin Wood, attorney for the Ramsey family, says he’s going to sue CBS on Burke’s behalf. According to a statement obtained by LawNewz.com, Wood said that “CBS perpetrated a fraud on its viewers – there was no new investigation by the phony TV ‘experts.’ CBS intentionally avoided and ignored the truth of the mass of evidence..”
But how strong of a case would Burke Ramsey have against CBS?
To succeed in a defamation case against CBS, Ramsey would have to prove:

1. That the statements in question were false.
  2. They were made publicly.
  3. The statements were CBS’s fault.
  4. The statements caused him harm.
On top of those elements, Harvard Law Professor John Goldberg said that because Ramsey has spoken about the case, like he did in an interview with Dr. Phil, a court would likely consider him a ““limited purpose public figure.” This means that when it comes to statements made about Burke in connection to the case, he would be considered a public figure, which carries an additional burden.
Goldberg said, “Burke could only prevail on a defamation claim against CBS or the investigators by proving not only that the allegations against him are false, but also that CBS and/or the investigators either KNEW that they were false when they made them, or were RECKLESS with regard to the truth or falsity of the allegations.” By contrast, a non-public figure would not have to prove this.
Additionally, the theory that Burke killed his sister was the expressed opinion of the investigators on the show. First Amendment attorney Floyd Abrams (father of LawNewz.com‘s founder), said that “an opinion, clearly denominated as such, on stated facts,” would probably be legally protected. Abrams also said that it may not be in the Ramseys’ best interest to sue, because it would open them up to all sorts of questions at trial.
After Wood announced his plans to sue, the network told Reuters, “CBS stands by the broadcast and will do so in court.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MomTuTu