Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

Status
Not open for further replies.
:stop:

Stop sleuthing Yingying's roommate, boyfriend, family, and friends.

Do not post links to anyone's social media other than Yingying or the approved Find Yingying FB page.

No one has been named a suspect or a POI in this case.

Do not make insinuations based on Yingying's ethnicity to imply that she was kidnapped based on that. There is no indication from LE at this time that Yingying was kidnapped because of her ethnicity or culture. Some of the posts I'm reading here are quite frankly racist.

Websleuths is a victim-friendly forum. That means Yingying and her family are all victims unless LE tells us otherwise.

Posts have been removed and I will be doing more cleanup in this thread. Keep it up and you may lose posting privileges.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS

Sometimes its hard to read baseless speculation on its own, but to read baseless speculation that is racist or accusing the people most hurt by this (family, friends, boyfriend) is infuriating

Where are they saying this?

I did see that somewhere a week or two ago, but come to think of it that might have just been UIPD. I wouldn't listen to anything they say that contradicts the FBI. Campus police primarily exist to make the university money and often their main priority is to promote and protect its image. Trust me, if the FBI says or does something not consistent with campus police, go with the FBI on this one. They are the top law enforcement agency in the country.

I did see that somewhere a week or two ago, but come to think of it that might have just been UIPD. I wouldn't listen to anything they say that contradicts the FBI. Campus police primarily exist to make the university money and often their main priority is to promote and protect its image. Trust me, if the FBI says or does something not consistent with campus police, go with the FBI on this one. They are the top law enforcement agency in the country.

Yes, this is the only thing i've seen, on the UIPD update page:

Does this incident present a danger to the general public?

Even under normal circumstances, we always ask members of our community to be observant, to be aware of their surroundings and to call police if they notice anything suspicious. That remains the case here. Should you ever feel uncomfortable or concerned for your safety, please call 911 immediately.

Which really isn't saying there's no danger, anyway.

I hope they are making an arrest in Yingying's case, but I doubt that's the case. I think the FBI and ATF would be present if there were some kind of standoff with a suspect in her case.

Those black vehicles and plain clothes with blue hats could be FBI.

Those black vehicles and plain clothes with blue hats could be FBI.

The blue hats, at least, are fire department

[video=youtube;JptshW1XX6k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JptshW1XX6k[/video]

They're CALEA certified. Basically, the gold standard for law enforcement accreditation. I would not diminish their statements on this case.

We'll just have to disagree on this then. I also don't know how my tone sounds on here, but I'm not being argumentative or confrontational. Just making a point and having a difference in opinion. I would like to stay on topic and keep the focus on finding Yingying, not criticizing LE. But I felt it's necessary to point out the discrepancies between what the FBI and UIPD are saying and doing at different times. One is the top law enforcement agency in America. Their only focus is to find Yingying and bring her abductor to justice. They have been extremely proactive in her case. The campus police, on the other hand, I am sure they would like to find her as well, don't get me wrong. But they are not as qualified and they have different motives. If there is a difference in emphasis, action, or direction, I'm going with the FBI on this one.

Sorry for the derail. I just think it's important to stress that the FBI is treating this is as a kidnapping. A stranger abduction. Something where someone she doesn't know randomly preyed upon her, lured her into his car, and drove off with her against her will. If you're <modsnip> in Illinois, or Indiana, or Missouri, or Iowa, or California or New York for that matter, and you have a brother, uncle, cousin, co-worker, anybody you know who has a black Saturn Astra and could have been in Illinois or near Illinois on June 9th, call and speak to the authorities. Report this person. You might clear them, or you might help find an innocent girl.

Speculating about situations in which she's just a foreign girl who probably got in the car with a similar foreign guy she knows does not help her case at all. The last thing we need is someone who doesn't call the police to report that car because they think it's just a domestic or campus or Chinese/Chinese matter.

That's the UIPD, not the FBI. One has an obligation to protect the reputation of a university, the other does not. Ven is right here. So many indicators of a random target (apart from being a young girl) <modsnip>.

Also,

This literally just means they've made progress in the investigation. Not sure how you're jumping to that conclusion

We agree to disagree. My underlying point remains the same: A difference in publicly available information exists. Local law enforcement did not answer that question directly. I believe that is important. They stated it was one of the possibilities. Investigative presentation, phrasing and terminology in the public venue are key; particularly, when this information is all that we are ultimately able to see (with the exception of video, in this case).

The FBI says kidnapping. The local cops say it's one of many possibilities. That's a discrepancy. And with such little information available to the public, a very important one, at that. Just my thoughts.

We'll just have to disagree on this then. I also don't know how my tone sounds on here, but I'm not being argumentative or confrontational. Just making a point and having a difference in opinion. I would like to stay on topic and keep the focus on finding Yingying, not criticizing LE. But I felt it's necessary to point out the discrepancies between what the FBI and UIPD are saying and doing at different times. One is the top law enforcement agency in America. Their only focus is to find Yingying and bring her abductor to justice. They have been extremely proactive in her case. The campus police, on the other hand, I am sure they would like to find her as well, don't get me wrong. But they are not as qualified and they have different motives. If there is a difference in emphasis, action, or direction, I'm going with the FBI on this one.

Sorry for the derail. I just think it's important to stress that the FBI is treating this is as a kidnapping. A stranger abduction. Something where someone she doesn't know randomly preyed upon her, lured her into his car, and drove off with her against her will. If you're <modsnip> in Illinois, or Indiana, or Missouri, or Iowa, or California or New York for that matter, and you have a brother, uncle, cousin, co-worker, anybody you know who has a black Saturn Astra and could have been in Illinois or near Illinois on June 9th, call and speak to the authorities. Report this person. You might clear them, or you might help find an innocent girl.

Speculating about situations in which she's just a foreign girl who probably got in the car with a similar foreign guy she knows does not help her case at all. The last thing we need is someone who doesn't call the police to report that car because they think it's just a domestic or campus or Chinese/Chinese matter.

Refusing to quarrel on this. On a separate note, I'd like to provide an alternative viewpoint regarding some of your statements as they are pertinent to this case.

A stranger abduction.

An abduction is not synonymous with a kidnapping. Moreover, with regards to this case, I have seen no law enforcement agency or representative assert that this was a stranger abduction. If they have, please link me? Sincerely, that'd be a big deal. Either way, the phrases still differ. It's just not that simple, legally. Link: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/abduction

If you're <modsnip> in Illinois, or Indiana, or Missouri, or Iowa, or California or New York for that matter, and you have a brother, uncle, cousin, co-worker, anybody you know who has a black Saturn Astra and could have been in Illinois or near Illinois on June 9th, call and speak to the authorities. Report this person. You might clear them, or you might help find an innocent girl.

Regardless of an individual's race, ethnicity or other socio-economic demographic, tips should be directed to law enforcement. You should call law enforcement if you have any information that may be beneficial to this case. When in doubt, it's my opinion that you should call. Let them make the determination of it's usefulness. Remember, it only takes one call to help.

Speculating about situations in which she's just a foreign girl who probably got in the car with a similar foreign guy she knows does not help her case at all.

I've seen no one speculate this here. I have seen though a lot of people trying to help this case by engaging in civil discourse on a wide number of theories. That's hugely beneficial.

The last thing we need is someone who doesn't call the police to report that car because they think it's just a domestic or campus or Chinese/Chinese matter.

All persons should call the police if they have information on this case. A young girl is missing. That should be the reason why someone were to call, to reunite the victim and her family.

That is what I would opine.

Nic, i did provide the FBI link a couple posts ago. Her case is classified as a kidnapping. It also says KIDNAPPING in big bold faced type at the top of her Department of Justice/FBI bulletin.

Anyway, does anyone have anymore information on that Paris, IL standoff?

Another thing I just thought of--a couple days ago I said I thought this guy may be in sales or something. His personality where he approaches young women and tries to talk to them means he probably uses his mouth a lot in day-to-day life, trying to persuade people on some BS one way or another. That's opposed to other perps who have been known to just go up to girls and attack them or run them over point blank.

I said he's probably not a lawyer or something where he makes too much money because of the age of the car. But I didn't think he could be using his kid's car. He also could specifically want a car that doesn't have GPS tracking on it. Just some things to think about.

Refusing to quarrel on this. On a separate note, I'd like to provide an alternative viewpoint regarding some of your statements as they are pertinent to this case.

An abduction is not synonymous with a kidnapping. Moreover, with regards to this case, I have seen no law enforcement agency or representative assert that this was a stranger abduction. If they have, please link me? Sincerely, that'd be a big deal. Either way, the phrases still differ. It's just not that simple, legally. Link: https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/abduction

Regardless of an individual's race, ethnicity or other socio-economic demographic, tips should be directed to law enforcement. You should call law enforcement if you have any information that may be beneficial to this case. When in doubt, it's my opinion that you should call. Let them make the determination of it's usefulness. Remember, it only takes one call to help.

I've seen no one speculate this here. I have seen though a lot of people trying to help this case by engaging in civil discourse on a wide number of theories. That's hugely beneficial.

All persons should call the police if they have information on this case. A young girl is missing. That should be the reason why someone were to call, to reunite the victim and her family.

That is what I would opine.
BBM....The voice of reason, heard loud and clear. Thank you. Let's keep the interest up....not shutting down posters....maybe the person we need (with information) is reading our posts.:please:

"We are not at what we were when this investigation started". So the FBI thought this crime was random, but it turns out to be that she was targeted by someone she knew.

I'm pretty sure what he meant is that the FBI is much closer to finding Yingying and the who kidnapped her. Not that they changed their belief about what happened to her.

They have strong leads now and as it seems they have taken a lot of steps and made a lot of progress.

Another thing I just thought of--a couple days ago I said I thought this guy may be in sales or something. His personality where he approaches young women and tries to talk to them means he probably uses his mouth a lot in day-to-day life, trying to persuade people on some BS one way or another. That's opposed to other perps who have been known to just go up to girls and attack them or run them over point blank.

I said he's probably not a lawyer or something where he makes too much money because of the age of the car. But I didn't think he could be using his kid's car. He also could specifically want a car that doesn't have GPS tracking on it. Just some things to think about.

Is it possible that he deliberately chose the car to hide his income? He wanted us to think he couldn't be affluent, someone like a lawyer.

I'm pretty sure what he meant is that the FBI is much closer to finding Yingying and the who kidnapped her. Not that they changed their belief about what happened to her.

They have strong leads now and as it seems they have taken a lot of steps and made a lot of progress.

Thanks for the interpretation. I really hope you are right.

Is it possible that he deliberately chose the car to hide his income? He wanted us to think he couldn't be affluent, someone like a lawyer.

It's possible. Old cars don't have GPS tracking on them and they can be bought and sold for cash. So I wouldn't rule it out.

Some people may or agree or disagree with me, but from following other cases, it seems like the perps choose and attack their victims the same way as their personality in real life. A lawyer who kidnap women will talk to them, go on a date with them, lie to them, create some kind of really elaborate false story. There's a famous one here a long time ago, he would wear fake cast or fake crutches or wheelchair and pretend to be crippled. Then ask women for help and when he get them next to his car, alone, he kidnap them. He was a lawyer.

There was another case on here a few years ago where the perp was a manual laborer who had been in jail a long time before. He was a crude, aggressive, violent person. He kidnapped a girl by following her late at night, when she's on her bike in the dark, and when nobody is on the road he speed up and run her over with his truck, then get her in his vehicle that way.

So I just think this guy runs his mouth a lot in life and try to persuade people. That's why he approached Yingying and the other girls that way. He's used to it and feels comfortable doing that. Like he's a salesman, lawyer, something like that. Just my theory anyway.

"Although officials have said they do not believe there is any immediate danger to the public, they are asking anyone who may have seen something suspicious to call in, no matter how insignificant it may seem."

So yes, might be UIPD but it's unclear to me.

http://www.nbcnews.com/feature/miss...-university-illinois-scholar-yingying-n774186

If there actually is a danger to the public, I am shocked they aren't advertising this way more or releasing more details about a suspect if they have them (IMO). My parents live in the Chicago area, and they've seen and heard very little about this case.

He could also be using his parents or grandparents car, which seems more likely.

I have no reason to believe this is or isn't related to Yingying. But it's local breaking news that could be of importance; something to keep an eye on? Paris is roughly an hour south of CU.
Suspect in custody. Most likely not related to Yingying's disappearance.
http://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/2017/06/swat-called-to-paris-illinois-residence/
Paris Police Department called the SWAT team out to a West Van Buren residence earlier today.

It ended just prior to dark with the suspect taken into custody and is currently in the Edgar County Jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G@$p•