CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
On your point 1, I thought it had been established that her lawyer is the equivalent of a public defender. They cannot have the same public defender, so a regular attorney was assigned to her. But she likely did not hire him.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is true. The Public Defender's office cannot represent two defendants in the same case. Thus, the state will contract with a local criminal defense attorney to represent one of the defendants.

It would be interesting to see if LT and DT qualify for a public defender. Every state has different standards for qualification, but neither of them will be able to work unless they bond out. They probably don't own anything with any value (that's not mortgaged) other than the house.

Agreed [emoji817]. Def both. I'm just dying to sort his psych profile out. I keep getting wrapped up in her tho. And I just don't feel there's as much family history to piece something together yet. Unless I missed something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbm

How about starting with the fact that his mother visited them 5 years ago and said everything was completely normal in their household. Defining "normal" as 12 kids in 1 house for 1 week and never a single argument between them. Sweetie this and sweetie that is how she described it. Gave me a sugar headache just reading what she said. No way does 12 siblings act that sweet toward each other in a normal household. She now says she isn't going to believe anything she reads until she hears his side of the story. Serious denial there as in David would never do anything wrong, must be that horrid media putting out fake news. That says a lot about his upbringing in my opinion. In other words he could never do any wrong so therefore any depravity he visits on his children must be the right thing to do.

JMO

Can someone be so kind as to point a sister to this allegation about LT going around-ish having sex with other men?

(Snipped by me)

I'm glad you brought this up! For a college graduate in his 20's to want to date, let alone marry, a HIGH SCHOOL girl of 16 is gross, creepy, and NOT NORMAL. I want to shout that from the rooftops. When I was in high school I had a friend of 16 who was dating some guy in his 20's (not even a college grad, just some random nogoodnik with a menial job) and everyone, except my friend, thought it was creepy and wrong! People in their 20s who date high school students want someone young and naive, to control and abuse! If DT had been on the up and up he'd have dated/married a woman his own age. College, ffs, that's a great place to meet people your age! That's an actual benefit of college - not just knowledge and a degree, but meeting new people and making friends. Even if you stay home and go to community college, you still meet new people! Marrying a high school girl of 16 under those circumstances is a giant honking red flag with a Jolly Roger on it.

Sperm donor is every bit as culpable as egg donor and I have none, zero, nada, 0 sympathy for either one.
Nailing down a college boy with good prospects, someone you can wrap around your finger, is a huge feather in the cap of a willful teenage girl too. Check out JR from Medicine Hat who was 12 when she had a 24 yr old man on a string.

Thank you. Do you think they will also pass on cards/letters to the younger group being cared for elsewhere?
Sounds like they will sort it out there.

The six minor Turpin children are being treated at Riverside University Health System Medical Center in Moreno Valley. The seven adult children are being treated at Corona Regional Medical Center. Both hospitals are members of the Corona Chamber of Commerce.

The chamber of commerce has been overwhelmed with the volume of donations from around the world, even bringing in extra staff to help deal with it.

https://www.pe.com/2018/01/18/how-y...ies-say-were-held-prisoner-in-a-perris-house/

I just want to point out that the sister is a trauma survivor as well. If I found out my estranged nieces and nephews were in this situation, I would be in complete and utter shock and who knows what would come out of my mouth. This in itself could be another serious traumatic event. I went through a very serious trauma once and it messed with my brain so badly that now I look back and think about what a crazy lady I was.

As a society I wish we were more understanding of trauma. I wish we were more understanding that there are many victims in this story and I don't think we should be so quick to judge.

"They were ordered to smile and dance and clap to celebrate their torturers, to celebrate their torturers having what they were all being denied, and to do all this in the name of "love." "
Sounds like North Korea!

Thanks, but is there a link to this statement?

How long would anyone think it would take a Dr. to determine if any one of those girls had given birth?

A pelvic exam would tell them, but I don't think such an invasive exam is a good idea. How would you explain it? I don't think the survivor would see it as anything but another assault, by someone she wants to trust.

Better to wait for DNA or a revelation by the survivors.

Families of perpetrators often do not believe in the family member's guilt. Ever. I haven't seen any family interviews with this case, so this is just something I have seen before. For two different cases, the parents saw evidence presented and guilty verdicts handed down. These are known cases around where I live. I have been told by people who know the parents (of these other two guys), that they really do not believe it.

My stepfather worked for Northrop Grumman in North Texas. IIRC, he was "laid off" (earlier retirement than he had planned) around 2009 or so. He drew unemployment benefits for as long as he could, and those benefits were extended out pretty long due to the economic collapse at the time. When the unemployment ran out, he started his retirement.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is what happened with DT. He was working for NG or Lockheed (which has/had a sizeable plant in Fort Worth), was laid off, drew unemployment, then when that ran out they stopped making payments on the house in Rio Vista. They eventually moved to California NOT TO BE CLOSE TO HOLLYWOOD OR DISNEYLAND (though they told people that), but to chase another lucrative job in the defense contractor tech industry.

Yes, believe he was laid off from Lockheed in 2010...and Northrop has only stated that he was working for them "in 2011." Have read conflicting info about his job with them, with many reports stating he was earning $140k a year with Northrop at the time of his arrest. LE have stated he was employed but the rest is sketchy and may just be the nature of his work that's keeping things murky for now. They obviously were approved to buy that $380k home in 2014 (despite the 2011 chapter 7 bankruptcy), so it would appear for the most part he's had a comfortable income coming in.

And maybe because there was talk of them moving again. There are a lot of houses in the neighborhood they live in now and people around. If they had been moved out into the middle of no where, chances of escaping and getting help would have been diminished.

Good point. And remember that LT recently told her brother she was "buying a school bus" and wanted to have another baby.

Maybe they were going to take this horror show fully mobile. Maybe they were getting ready to walk away from that house as well, leaving it in arrears and in squalor as is their pattern. If they did, that may have made escape way more difficult.

Respectfully, that doesn't say that Texas authorities are not going to conduct an investigation. It says that they had no previous reports or investigations of the family while they were living in Texas. Big difference. They have a duty to investigate all the properties where the family lived, especially if there's any inkling that other children might have been born.

I agree with you. Texas authorities as well as FBI are involved as far as they can go for now. They are not just sitting by. They do not have to tell the public anything. If CA authorities need FBI help all they have to do is ask. Because the amount of children involved, the amount of investigating, the FBI may be able to step in to help, but CA has to ask at this time, unless a Federal law is broken, then the story changes.

For those sending cards to the children, those cards will be opened and read to make sure the cards are appropriate, recorded, and given to the child it best would fit.....adults cards not given to a 6 year old child....Making it easier for the children to enjoy.

We all want answers and it is hard to be patient. I am so glad those children are now in a caring facility. I hope they can stay together for now, however as they get better in the future I see some of the older children going to live in possible group homes, or apartments together, depending on their capabilities. The younger ones will be in loving homes going to appropriate schools. Always they entire group receiving counseling and help and always getting together. The children’s needs will have to be considered.

I am sure that somehow the children are seeing each other now, even if it by a Skype method, we just do not know and we do not need to know. The children need their privacy. We are just so impatient for Justice and for the outcome.

In every case there is always people coming out of the woodwork for a minute of fame...They should be quiet and work with LE not with the Media.

I think one parent will turn on the other, try for mental issues, and continue to say innocent. There may be mental issues but they know right from wrong....so IMO that will not fly. We probably will see at least one trial....years down the road, as always.

Wait, listen, read and watch and do what WS always do, investigate, really read and if it happens you stumble across good information, follow the rules set forth by Tricia in letting the authorities know. Follow the rules. I know WS has helped solve cases in the past.

On your point 1, I thought it had been established that her lawyer is the equivalent of a public defender. They cannot have the same public defender, so a regular attorney was assigned to her. But she likely did not hire him.

Ah. Ok. I must have missed that, and had the thought that they couldn't be represented together, but didn't say it. I was wondering how she was pulling off a private lawyer.
They're both nuts and both guilty... lol I just like to split hairs for the sake of psychology. That and in training to become an MFT, were taught to observe even the most minor things such as where people sit in relation to one another during treatment sessions as well as other non verbal clues are just as relevant if not more than what is actually said or done. Not that the seating thing is relevant in the courtroom, just to say little subtle things can be clues too. [emoji846]

Can someone be so kind as to point a sister to this allegation about LT going around-ish having sex with other men?

Sistah, The Megyn Kelly video posted a couple hours ago, this am. Sister Teresa Robinette was interviewed.

bbm

How about starting with the fact that his mother visited them 5 years ago and said everything was completely normal in their household. Defining "normal" as 12 kids in 1 house for 1 week and never a single argument between them. Sweetie this and sweetie that is how she described it. Gave me a sugar headache just reading what she said. No way does 12 siblings act that sweet toward each other in a normal household. She now says she isn't going to believe anything she reads until she hears his side of the story. Serious denial there as in David would never do anything wrong, must be that horrid media putting out fake news. That says a lot about his upbringing in my opinion. In other words he could never do any wrong so therefore any depravity he visits on his children must be the right thing to do.

JMO

Yea. Good point. I keep forgetting that was his parents that came to visit and were clueless. Since they're strict fundamentalist, I can see where she gets off thinking that lining them up in age order and sandwiching them between parents at Disney could be s sigh of good parenting. That would be a sign that DT and LT aren't soaring the rod if you follow my drift.

Sounds like they will sort it out there.

The six minor Turpin children are being treated at Riverside University Health System Medical Center in Moreno Valley. The seven adult children are being treated at Corona Regional Medical Center. Both hospitals are members of the Corona Chamber of Commerce.

The chamber of commerce has been overwhelmed with the volume of donations from around the world, even bringing in extra staff to help deal with it.

https://www.pe.com/2018/01/18/how-y...ies-say-were-held-prisoner-in-a-perris-house/

Thank you muchly for that link. I'm p/c ing most of it for others below. Sorry mods if the 10% rule does apply here, but IMO we all need to read this.

The story of the 13 children who deputies say were discovered being held prisoner in a Perris home on Sunday has shocked the world. But there’s a way to help the Turpin children. Two ways, in fact.

The Riverside University Health System Foundation has set up a fund to support the children, the foundation announced on Thursday.

“We received a very generous response from the community, people calling from truly all over the nation, wanting to do something for this family,” Erin Phillips, executive director of the foundation, said Thursday afternoon.

The foundation’s fund is on top of the Corona Chamber of Commerce’s efforts to collect donations for the children of Louise Anna Turpin, 49, and her husband, David Allen Turpin, 57, who were charged Thursday in the case.

“Somebody has to step forward,” said Bobby Spiegel, president and CEO of the Corona Chamber of Commerce. “We’re doing what we need to do.”

The chamber of commerce has been overwhelmed with the volume of donations from around the world, even bringing in extra staff to help deal with it

PERRIS SIBLING SUPPORT FUND
One hundred percent of all funds raised by the Riverside University Health System Foundation will be transferred to a trust being established for the siblings’ long-term needs, according to the foundation.

The support fund can receive both tax-deductible financial contributions and gift cards.

Individuals can contribute by visiting RUHealth.org/foundation or by mailing contributions to RUHS Foundation at PO Box 9850, Moreno Valley, CA 92552. Corporations, foundations and individuals who need additional details for plans to support the Turpin siblings can contact RUHS Foundation at marketing@ruhealth.org.

CHAMBER OF COMMERCE DONATIONS
Spiegel said that most of the physical donation needs have now been covered and that financial donations are what’s most needed.

Donations can be brought or mailed to the Corona Chamber of Commerce at 904 E. 6th St. in Corona. Call 951-737-3350 or email info@mychamber.org for more information.

Those plaid dresses do look like a Butterick pattern type of flower girl or jr. bridesmaid dress from the 70's! I am sure they were sewn at home, whether by egg donor or someone else.

It also speaks to the stunted growth of the grown daughters that those T-strap Mary Jane style shoes fit them. Those aren't commonly found in women's sizes, unless maybe they're dance shoes. I had very similar shoes as a little girl in the 70's, but no way could I find any shoe that style to fit my adult-sized clodhoppers now. Unless there's a source for girl's shoes in adult sizes that I am not aware of, those poor young women were quite stunted. :(

Finally, egg donor's hair in that pic with the plaid dresses looks a greasy mess. Makes me wonder if she herself was well acquainted with soap, water, and shampoo. Ick. I hope those kids are now being allowed to shower three times a day if that is what they want.

Not that this is a terribly significant point, but I don't think the dresses are home-made. A bit too stiff and identical. Check the matching bows. If I wanted to outfit a wide range of sizes in matching outfits, I would go online. There are a lot of Chinese clothiers who sell online these days. Their sizes tend toward small (not an issue here), but they are inexpensive. Looking around, such dresses could run $20-60 and come in sizes from toddler on up. There are also a lot of venues that specialize in pageant-wear and dance clothes, which are not necessarily the latest style (more like costumes). I did google for images of plaid girls special occasion dresses and didn't come up with any pictures of those specific ones. But, we know that they were purchased, what, 5-6 years back? I also thought they might have been rented from the Chapel (I think the bridal gown and tux were)--but I couldn't see that the Vegas Elvis Chapels routinely outfit the whole retinue (apparently people who run away to Vegas for a wedding don't bring a whole entourage in tow).

On a slightly more relevant point, It looks like the dresses were worn once and then put up until the next "wedding." Never worn again on any outings to church or any other celebrations.

I hope the IRS is involved in this, with that many dependents the refund would be huge with all of the write offs and "home schooling"... aside from the fact of keeping all "children" dependent by abusing them into perpetual childhood. We know one adult was allowed to take college classes, so he would be considered a student in the eyes of tax law. Big refunds= big trips to Disney, and whatever else they did.
I doubt they will bother. However, one thing about our system that is really in the favor of us seeing justice done is that if for any reason California botches this case, the feds likely have plenty for separate charges (like kidnapping), and Texas could probably make a case, too. But as long as the cops crossed their Ts and dotted their Is, I think we're good to go on getting them locked up for life.

I just want to point out that the sister is a trauma survivor as well. If I found out my estranged nieces and nephews were in this situation, I would be in complete and utter shock and who knows what would come out of my mouth. This in itself could be another serious traumatic event. I went through a very serious trauma once and it messed with my brain so badly that now I look back and think about what a crazy lady I was.

As a society I wish we were more understanding of trauma. I wish we were more understanding that there are many victims in this story and I don't think we should be so quick to judge.

Yes. I agree with you that she is a victim too. The family environment for them growing up was severely dysfunctional which affected her too. I understand her plight, but at the same time, it does make it difficult to see her as a credible witness when her story is constantly changing becoming more embellished each time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member