Australia - 7 dead in mass shooting and suicide - Osmington WA - 11 May 2018

off topic
damn denim is a sexy man!:D

on topic
was very surprised about the note.
unfortunately I think it gives us more questions than answers.
doesn't sit right with me and I hate that I feel this way.
oddly it speaks only to the man he despises...and he is surrendering all his worldly belongings to him.
never mentions his two living children he is leaving this devastating situation to.
could be he simply doesn't wanna face that component but if your leaving a note it usually covers the most important thing in your heart.:oops:
there was something scribbled out only seen it quickly but my thoughts were it looked like different hand writing so either added later or by another hand??
something like conman but it was gone before I took it all in.
:confused:

Yes the suicide note was scribbled on a small piece of paper, almost childlike and the signature appeared illiterate.
Bazaar to say the least.
I wonder if a note would stand as a Will of Peters.
I’m not sure it was even dated.

I took the suicide note as malicious, I think the presenter may have too.

As if Aaron could have the current contents of the property, which was his deceased children.

Unfortunately I got the distinct impression that Peter was making things hard for Aaron by withholding the children and not honouring the court order. I think the court order may have given Aaron joint custody or similar. The psychologist report gave an overall positive result of Aaron. But the court order was not enforced.

I think the note was even addressed to Aaron Crockman, not Aaron Cockman.

Last edited:
Tonight's show is at this link. The segment on the Margaret River Murders starts at 19:00.

Sunday Night

(I can't believe how many commercials they make you watch before you get to the segment!! Every time I tried to scroll ahead to the segment, I had to watch all the commercials again.)

Here is the note, it is at 33:58 in the Sunday Night video.

2cn9g1y.jpg

As if Aaron could have the current contents of the property, which was his deceased children.

Unfortunately I got the distinct impression that Peter was making things hard for Aaron by withholding the children and not honouring the court order. I think the court order may have given Aaron joint custody or similar. The psychologist report gave an overall positive result of Aaron. But the court order was not enforced.

oh wow
lightbulb
yes think your spot on sa.
just shocking beyond comprehension.

I couldn't put my finger on what was off about the note!
poor aaron.
I hate myself for feeling off last night about it all. I was way off base.

I totally agree. What a heartbreakingly sad story. I believe that Peter was so intent on not letting Aaron "win" that things ended this way, and to add insult to injury left Aaron with the "contents" of the property, just to rub it in. Horrific.

It looks pretty obvious to me he's made one of the kids write that note to add even more insult to injury as the father would I'm guessing recognise the hand writing.

Horrific.

Margaret River shootings dad wants changes
I hope aaron is getting the support he needs.
I am glad he is channelling his energy into change and helping others.
may it give him a sense of purpose in his tragedy .
hopefully one day we will get confirmation about what happened and he can free himself of the stigma which has unfortunately happened upon him.

And it happens yet again ...... :(

Women and children are among five people found dead inside a Perth home, the third mass tragedy to rock Western Australia this year.
Homicide detectives went to the home on Coode Street in Bedford today after a man in his 20s handed himself into a regional police station.

'Horrid on every level': Children among five found dead in home

Back on the Osmington murders... I am still not convinced that Peter Miles was the murderer, and I am deeply suspicious of the ex-husband.

The police statements are ambiguous regarding the actions of Peter Miles and they took a while to call it a murder/suicide rather than just murder. They describe how the body was found slumped in a chair and the position of the gun, instead of saying he shot himself. The person who made the 5:15am call was described as "a male person connected to the property" which is pretty vague considering Peter was the only adult male found there. "We know where the call was made from, we know whose phone it was made from," said WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson." Why would you specify those details instead of saying Peter called from the property?

It makes me think they are trying avoid specifics while they investigate further, a bit like with Baden-Clay.

The ex was stalking Katrina, by her own words on Facebook. He spoke of the children like they were possessions, not people. He immediately blamed Peter for the killings, but also praised him for the skill it took. Viewed from another perspective, it could be seen as disguised bragging. Many people who knew the family automatically assumed it was the ex who killed them and were very shocked to hear it was the grandfather.

Regarding Peter Miles' depression - as has been said here before, many people are depressed but don't kill their family. By itself it's not sufficient motive. He may have also been controlling and misogynistic, because you never know what goes on behind closed doors. But if you leave out the running commentary from the ex, you're left with 2 bits of info: a) the grandmother alluding to difficult family issues, which could also refer to any of the sons' problems, the stalking ex, or the stress of homeschooling 4 kids while trying to run a small farm. b) the neighbour offering work and getting the impression that Peter wasn't that enthused about it, which may indicate suicidal inclinations but could also be the usual spaced-out feeling that comes from adjusting to newly-prescribed medication. I feel like these details could be interpreted either way.

And anyone with low literacy could have written that note. My father's writing is similar when he is not under the influence of any legal or illegal drugs but is tired or in a hurry. He had a poor education, but he is intelligent and well-spoken and before retirement he did manual labour which didn't need much paperwork done so he never got much practice after leaving school.

That we're hearing about the note from the ex rather than police seems very self-serving to me, as do all of his statements to the media. His activism now is centered on the custody issues he was obsessed with before the murders, not mental health or autism or domestic violence.

Obviously this is all speculation and suspicion on my part. I have no evidence beyond what we've all seen in the media. It just doesn't make sense to me when compared to other murder/suicides, and I'm deeply troubled by it. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I know that people on this forum will understand that nagging feeling about a case.

I heartily agree with you, Banquo's Ghost. From the beginning, I saw it from your suspicious perspective and posted such until we were told to stop or we would be banned so I let it go. Is it actually "case closed" now or are police still investigating.

By the way, Aaron would only receive the contents of the property if the handwriting can be verified - not the property itself which his two sons would surely inherit.

Back on the Osmington murders... I am still not convinced that Peter Miles was the murderer, and I am deeply suspicious of the ex-husband.

The police statements are ambiguous regarding the actions of Peter Miles and they took a while to call it a murder/suicide rather than just murder. They describe how the body was found slumped in a chair and the position of the gun, instead of saying he shot himself. The person who made the 5:15am call was described as "a male person connected to the property" which is pretty vague considering Peter was the only adult male found there. "We know where the call was made from, we know whose phone it was made from," said WA Police Commissioner Chris Dawson." Why would you specify those details instead of saying Peter called from the property?

It makes me think they are trying avoid specifics while they investigate further, a bit like with Baden-Clay.

The ex was stalking Katrina, by her own words on Facebook. He spoke of the children like they were possessions, not people. He immediately blamed Peter for the killings, but also praised him for the skill it took. Viewed from another perspective, it could be seen as disguised bragging. Many people who knew the family automatically assumed it was the ex who killed them and were very shocked to hear it was the grandfather.

Regarding Peter Miles' depression - as has been said here before, many people are depressed but don't kill their family. By itself it's not sufficient motive. He may have also been controlling and misogynistic, because you never know what goes on behind closed doors. But if you leave out the running commentary from the ex, you're left with 2 bits of info: a) the grandmother alluding to difficult family issues, which could also refer to any of the sons' problems, the stalking ex, or the stress of homeschooling 4 kids while trying to run a small farm. b) the neighbour offering work and getting the impression that Peter wasn't that enthused about it, which may indicate suicidal inclinations but could also be the usual spaced-out feeling that comes from adjusting to newly-prescribed medication. I feel like these details could be interpreted either way.

And anyone with low literacy could have written that note. My father's writing is similar when he is not under the influence of any legal or illegal drugs but is tired or in a hurry. He had a poor education, but he is intelligent and well-spoken and before retirement he did manual labour which didn't need much paperwork done so he never got much practice after leaving school.

That we're hearing about the note from the ex rather than police seems very self-serving to me, as do all of his statements to the media. His activism now is centered on the custody issues he was obsessed with before the murders, not mental health or autism or domestic violence.

Obviously this is all speculation and suspicion on my part. I have no evidence beyond what we've all seen in the media. It just doesn't make sense to me when compared to other murder/suicides, and I'm deeply troubled by it. I don't expect to change anyone's mind, but I know that people on this forum will understand that nagging feeling about a case.
No nagging feeling from me. To me, Peter was a highly controlling man and took his daughter and wife's life because he did control them. He had his dream and had left his job because others would not see his dream the way he did. He tried to live his dream and failed.
So he killed them and himself. A coward.

I totally see where you're coming from, Jennifer. It makes sense. And it wouldn't be the first time a woman with a controlling father married a controlling husband.

Unless the police say different, there won't be any other info coming out about it anyway. I don't suppose there's any way to find out if the investigation is closed or not unless a journalist asks them about it. But they did say the investigation might take a few weeks, and by then it was out of the news, so I'll always have a little question mark besides this one, I suppose.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back