Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO he looked relieved to see his family there.

Yeah, that’s what I saw, I’m sure part of him that wanted that family forever at age 9, will never leave. Hope dad/siblings convince him jayme needs to move forward, apologize and get on meds or whatever. I’m sure jayme will hold off a no of things till the court stuff is over...hope that’s soon..

IMO he looked relieved to see his family there.
They are probably the only people in the world that he feels comfortable around. Making that eye contact with them was the only thing he had in that room to help him feel better. He acted like a cat on a hot tin roof, squirming, etc. and scared to death. Perfect as far as I am concerned.

Does pommy mommy or anybody know
Wisconsin court attire rules for preliminary hearings.

I think I’ve seen other preliminary defendants in suit / tie...

Is it simply crime status that would dictate orange jumpsuits?? I don’t know if u can read into JP no clothes change or is that only choice.. ?? Dunno anything on WI court rules..

Timeline: The life of Jake Patterson, leading to double homicide, abduction charges
Following is a timeline of the life of Jake Patterson, the man accused of kidnapping teenager Jayme Closs after shooting her parents to death. Information was compiled from USA TODAY NETWORK-Wisconsin reporting; court, real-estate and divorce records; and interviews with people who knew Patterson.

Dec. 30, 1989: Patrick Michael Patterson, then 26; marries Deborah Lynn Moyer, 20, in Superior. It's the first marriage for both.

April 23, 1992: They have their first child, daughter Katie Lynn.

June 24, 1994: Deborah Patterson gives birth to a son, Erik James.

Oct. 30, 2007: The couple file jointly for divorce, saying in a hand-written petition their union is “irretrievably broken.” They agree to split the cost of raising the kids, and Patrick agrees to insure them with a plan he has through his employer, an electrical supply company.

Late 2007-early 2008: Deborah moves to a duplex on the south side of Minong, a Washburn County village of 527 about 12 miles from the family home in Gordon.

March 31, 2008: A judge grants the divorce. The couple agrees to share physical custody every other week; Patrick is expected pay Deborah $800 a month in child support until Jake turns 18. Patrick agrees to buy Deborah's share of the house for $40,000.

Northwood School in Minong. There, former classmates said, he enjoyed reading, seemed intelligent, won a spot on the school’s Quiz Bowl team, and periodically displayed a sense of humor. But he could be socially awkward, eschewed dating andsports, and was voted “most quiet” in his class.

Oct. 13, 2012: Erik Patterson is accused of fourth-degree sexual assault. He pleads no contest; a Buffalo County judge sentences him to a year's probation.

Summer 2013: Jake Patterson begins wearing his hairextremely short.

Oct. 28, 2013: Erik Patterson is arrested in Douglas County on charges including two low-level felonies accusing him of manufacturing or delivering THC, as well as a bail-jumping misdemeanor. He later pleads no contest and is convicted. His Buffalo County probation is revoked; he's given an eight-month jail sentence.

Late May, 2015: Jake Patterson and 33 classmates graduate from Northwood. He skips the senior class trip, prom and class photo.

Marine Corps Recruit Depot in San Diego, after enlisting in a recruiting office in Rice Lake.

Oct. 20, 2015: The Marine Corps kicks Patterson out of basic training five weeks into a 13-week program.

2016: Patterson takes a job at the Jennie-O Turkey Store in Barron. He quits a day later.

Early October, 2018: Patterson continues to live at South Eau Claire Acres. His father has moved out.

Oct. 3 and 4: Patterson works two days at Saputo Cheese near Almeda, then quits. On one trip to work, he stops behind a school bus on U.S. 8, sees Jayme get on, and decides to kidnap her, according to a criminal complaint. He makes two trips to her house in Barron to conduct the kidnapping. But when he sees cars in the area, he loses his nerve.

Saratoga Liquor Co. in Superior. That's also the day Jayme escapes. Wearing Patterson's tennis shoes on the wrong feet, she approaches neighbor Jeanne Nutter, who's walking a dog near Patterson's house. They go to a nearby house and call 911 about 4:40 p.m.

Jan. 10, 4:54 p.m.: Patterson is arrested by Douglas County sheriff's deputies who report he says, “I know what this is about. I did it."

Jan. 11: Sheriff’s officials identify Patterson as their lone suspect, and recover a shotgun from the Eau Claire Acres Circle house. They say he has no criminal history. He is jailed in Barron County on $5 million bond.

Jan. 14: Authorities file a criminal complaint charging Patterson with kidnapping, armed burglary and two counts of homicide. They move him to the Polk County Jail.

Last edited:
Our hearts are broken for their family': Father of Jayme Closs' kidnapper apologizes to the 13-year-old's relatives after telling his son 'I love you' as he was ordered to stand trial

“His father told ABC News after the court appearance that he is still trying to make sense of what happened.

'My words can mean nothing after such a tragedy has taken place. I most definitely want Jayme's family to know, everyone to know, that our hearts are broken for their family,' Patrick said”

Father of Jayme Closs kidnapper says his heart is broken for her family | Daily Mail Online

This is the first case I can recall the perps family speaking out before a trial. I hope he can be convinced to take a plea of LWOP.

Does pommy mommy or anybody know
Wisconsin court attire rules for preliminary hearings.

I think I’ve seen other preliminary defendants in suit / tie...

Is it simply crime status that would dictate orange jumpsuits?? I don’t know if u can read into JP no clothes change or is that only choice.. ?? Dunno anything on WI court rules..
I don't know the specific rules for Wisconsin but IMO it's customary for defendants to appear in orange or stripes or whatever at pretrial hearings, and wear civilian clothes at trial.
MOO

<modsnipped quoted post>
I interpret PP’s TV appearance as part of the defense plan. They already tried to pass a letter to the Closs family which they did not wish to see. This TV appearance was a more public way to express their support for JC (EDIT to use initials) and an apology for what JP has done. I think it’s a set-up for what will happen at the arraignment, a guilty plea and who knows what they would like to see attached to it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I interpret PP’s TV appearance as part of the defense plan. They already tried to pass a letter to the Closs family which they did not wish to see. This TV appearance was a more public way to express their support for Jayme and an apology for what JP has done. I think it’s a set-up for what will happen at the arraignment, a guilty plea and who knows what they would like to see attached to it.

I see it differently. I see Patrick Patterson as a father who loves his son and is struggling to try to understand it all. I see him as sincere in his words to the family. JMO

Maybe not all of the family accepted his note, but some did.

‘You can’t blame the parents’: Jayme Closs’ grandfather appreciates kidnapper’s father sympathy

I see it differently. I see Patrick Patterson as a father who loves his son and is struggling to try to understand it all. I see him as sincere in his words to the family. JMO

‘You can’t blame the parents’: Jayme Closs’ grandfather appreciates kidnapper’s father sympathy
Yeah, I agree with you.

He’s in a no win situation:

Make no effort to display any act of compassion, and be destroyed by the public.

Make an effort to show that he is empathetic and horrified by his son’s actions, and be destroyed for ignorance.

I do think he is sincere.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Make no effort to display any act of compassion, and be destroyed by the public.

Make an effort to show that he is empathetic and horrified by his son’s actions, and be destroyed for ignorance.

So do I. I also think now is the time to step back - be there for his son and leave her family alone IMO

Yeah, I agree with you.

I would never want to be walking in his shoes, or any other parents who *through no fault of their own* go through this. He has not once defended his sons actions. Still you can love your child yet not like them and that may be where he is with his thoughts.

I have no doubt that he’s sincere. I think the defense has prompted him (both could be true?). JP’s Father puts a more human face on JP who is, after all, a human being who has committed horrible crimes. Families of the perpetrators suffer too. I try to imagine how JP’s Father and Sister accept that they were celebrating Christmas with JC (suffering in silence) a matter of “feet” away from them.

Repeated attempts to convey his feelings to the Closs family relatives trouble me. He did it once and I was OK with that. Let it go. Nothing PP says will lessen or comfort the families feelings for the damage his son did to JC and families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GreyFishOmen