Found Alive WI - Jayme Closs, 13, Barron, missing after parents found shot, 15 Oct 2018 *Arrest* #43

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, this just rips my heart into a kazillion pieces. I can't find a thread for her anywhere online. If you believe in prayer, I believe this poor kiddo needs as many as she can get. O/T
I know, but for some reason I can't start a thread for her. :(

Serenity Dennard: Search for little girl who ran away from children’s home is now a ‘recovery mission;’ police say unlikely she’s still alive

Wow, never heard of this one either. This begs a lot of questions. I hope you can start a thread and let us know if you do.

Wow, this just rips my heart into a kazillion pieces. I can't find a thread for her anywhere online. If you believe in prayer, I believe this poor kiddo needs as many as she can get. O/T

Serenity Dennard: Search for little girl who ran away from children’s home is now a ‘recovery mission;’ police say unlikely she’s still alive

We already have a thread for her here: ACTIVE SEARCH - SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

There is an active thread already:

ACTIVE SEARCH - SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

There is no defense called “Schizophrenia”. If anything it would have to be “not guilty by reason of insanity”. To prove that the defense would have to first convince a judge that he did not know the difference between right and wrong and would be unable to assist in his own defense. His planning and actions during the crime would probably eliminate that possibility.
Yes, I know there is no defense called schizophrenia. Like many illnesses, schizophrenia has varying degrees of severity. Mentally ill people, including schizophrenics, can appear to be quite well at times. They can plan things. Some serial killers have been diagnosed as schizophrenic. There's more to the insanity defense than simply knowing right from wrong. Another part of it is whether the person could control their conduct even if they know it is wrong. Of course, JP's lawyer could use any mental illness label if a doc diagnoses it. Borderline personality disorder might be another illness (Jeffrey Dahmer was diagnosed with that), or antisocial personality disorder, but I believe schizophrenia may be the particular illness because of his age and because, although he planned it, I think his planning really stopped at killing the Closses and getting Jayme to his cabin. MOO.

ETA Even if he doesn't use an insanity defense, I will be interested to know whether he will later be deemed mentally ill after the trial.

Patrick Patterson, father of Jake Patterson, spoke exclusively to ABC News.

"I most definitely want Jayme's family to know, everyone to know that our hearts are broken for their family," Patterson said. "I would like to humbly ask people to pray for a complete healing of Jayme's heart, mind, and soul. And I would also ask for people to pray for that for their entire family. I'm very sorry for everything that has happened."

Patterson's father: Pray for Jayme Closs and her family

Devastating.

This is totally just my opinion....
When I saw the video of JPs court appearance, I saw an extremely nervous coward. The smirk was two things.... 1. He was trying to convince his family he was ok. 2. He was a nervous wreck. Notice his herky jerky movements, the way he practically falls into the chair, his head and shoulders fidgeting around. Even his verbal responses were an effort to appear under control but he was far from it. He absolutely HATES social interactions and here he is the center of attention in a courtroom, all eyes on him. For him, this is the worst social situation for him to ever be in.

I don't see arrogance. I see him unable to escape this torture of being "center stage".

I take some satisfaction in that....

Also wonder if this will drive him to accept a deal just to avoid a trial. He would absolutely hate all of that attention. "I did it" so let's get on with it. Send me to prison where I can get back to isolating myself and dreaming of other fantasies.
I confess to speed-reading a lot.
So, I could have missed it.
Has there been a plea deal even offered to JP to ponder?
HE may want one but I just can't see the prosecution team offering him one. MOO

https://www.postcrescent.com/story/...napper-jake-patterson-crime-spree/2780751002/

Patterson’s actions, outlined in the complaint, before the mayhem at the Closs residence were not typical of most killers, said Kim Rossmo, director of the Center for Geospatial Intelligence and Investigation in the Department of Criminal Justice at Texas State University.

“I think one of the unusual aspects was the fact that he didn’t kill his victim within 24 hours. That’s pretty standard,” said Rossmo, the former detective inspector in charge of the Vancouver Police Department's Geographic Profiling Section.

Rossmo also noted that while authorities say Patterson plotted the crime, he changed course as circumstances arose.

“In a way it’s a complication more than a necessity," he said of the murders of Jayme’s parents. “Given his planning, it was unusual to go into the home (without knowing who was there). Maybe he couldn’t wait.”

ETA: I also did not expect JC to be found alive. I wonder if he calendared his atrocity. Was the date of JC's abduction an anniversary of event he admired. He was highly motivated. Maybe he couldn't wait.....

I have been thinking about Jayme tonight and what she went through in those horrible 88 days. Not only did she have to see her parents brutally murdered but then to be hogtied and thrown into the trunk of a car and driven for an hour or two in a cold trunk-probably only in her pajamas, no shoes to an unknown destination by some person she knew was capable of doing anything but then to be treated as she was makes my heart break. She is one strong little girl. I was thinking about how fortunate she is to have her aunt JS in her life, someone who has been there all her life and someone she can trust
As for JP, I think he is a real ! I think he is very proud of himself for all he has done. I do feel sorry for his dad, I think he is devastated by JP’s actions and is sincere in his concern for Jayme. As a parent it would be very difficult
I do hope JP pleads guilty and does not cause further harm to Jayme by making her relive this atrocity all over again but don’t look for him to do so. I think he might view that as giving up control in his own sick way
He is one sorry excuse for a human being IMO
Just had to vent!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

No 'direct' response from mom, however it seems she is concerned about herself.

"The neighbor said he has received several “distraught” text messages from Frey in the past few days.

“It’s going to take a while for her to deal,” the neighbor said.

He said Frey, who remarried just two months ago, is “afraid” of all the attention from the case."

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/mom-of-jayme-closss-alleged-kidnapper-is-totally-distraught/

Last edited by a moderator:
'No guilt, no remorse, no empathy.' Criminal profilers say Jake Patterson case stands out

From the same article linked first by poster @Ragnarok , I'd like to quote what I think we suspected, but couldn't know absolutely until Jayme escaped.

Note: Copyright laws and WS Rules for copying info are upheld in my short quote of a page long very good article.

"Christine Sarteschi, associate professor of social work and criminology at Chatham University in Pittsburgh.

“This is someone who was highly motivated,” Sarteschi said. “It wasn’t revenge; it wasn’t money. He had a goal and he did what he wanted. He wanted something, and he went and took it. A lot of people would not be willing to kill in this manner.”

I think it’s very unique. ( still according to Sarteschi).
Although other major crimes share aspects of Patterson’s case — premeditating, planning, avoiding detection and erupting in deadly violence — the combination of these behaviors in the Jayme Closs abduction is outside the norm.
All of these things have happened in other cases, but this one is different because he did so many of them,” she said."
END QUOTE

My notes: Could all reading here please stop for a second or two and recall your life and activities when you were 21 years old, if you have reached or surpassed that age at present?

You, I, and most of the world at 21 years old were just learning about some adult responsibilities and expectations of others for our behavior and goals as we entered adulthood. 21 is usually a good age, a stepping off point into a career, maybe marriage, maybe a gap year to travel, but not to kill and kidnap. Why couldn't he just have gone to the most remote island in the world as a thrill?

Most of us likely enjoyed simple things such as a walk alone in the woods we loved, a movie and a date. Patterson wanted to kill 2 strangers in their home for the purpose of kidnapping their only child.

IF he hadn't gotten caught, he would have been a voracious serial killer in a short period of time, IMO, especially if he learned from his mistakes ( as serial killers absolutely do) and was able to remain a loner. and
return to his house a bit after he'd killed the next girl,or maybe used those survivalist skills he read about and camp, move, kill a young girl just within a day's drive of his house, then, camp, steal food, find, stalk and kill another young girl in a distant state. That's how most serial killers escalate, from their comfort zone close to home, to far- reaching places far from their original " base camp" in order to avoid detection.

DNA evidence at the crime scene is very helpful in finding a repeat killer once he's on the radar, of course, but Patterson didn't have any DNA on file, LE has told us, and we do not know what DNA of his, if any, was left at the Closs's house. ( I'm sure at least saliva and some perspiration were left, because he was so frenzied but that doesn't mean it was in quantity to be recovered). Of course, his DNA was collected but I'm referring to what he likely might have done if he'd not been caught.

JC likely not only saved herself but several to many girls in the future. I believe he would have starting killing ( or tried to kill) other young girls after watching JC and possibly starting to understand some things about the actions, likes, and so forth of girls that age. I think he studied her like she was a bug. So he could experience the thrill he got from the violence and control of surprising a total stranger and shooting them. I believe, because there are so many things about him which are extremely immature for his age, that his targeted age group would remain young teen girls.

Bottom line: I'm so very thankful all over again that JC survived and escaped despite great odds against it. Most kidnapped victims are killed within 24 hours of abduction. I'm so glad Patterson has confessed to at least the 2 murders several times, it appears.
Because of her bravery and not giving up after so long, and knowing her parents were dead, she probably saved other young girls' lives as well as her own.
Sociopathic killers don't stop killing until they're caught,in most cases.

It's likely that aspects of Patterson's total confession, most of which we do not know, will be used either anonymously as a historical case study or maybe by name in teaching forensic science, psychology, criminal profiling, and other fields of study where the "weird ones" are important to learn about, and to teach the fact that this type of killer absolutely cannot be anticipated in the absence of previous arrests or prior deviant behavior reported to LE.

Respectfully, IMO, except for quoted and attributed sentences which are marked as such.

Last edited:
The extreme killers had a lot of dysfunction in their lives. Ed Gein, Dahmer, Bundy,Keyes. Things were far from ordinary.

These killers add to profiling indicators.

We do have a profile of a Scott Peterson type of killer now. Can we identify them before the crime? Not yet, I feel

[
Snipped for brevity.

A very thoughtful post. I think one of the reasons this was so unusual is the way he chose to do it. Most serial killers choose victims, especially first victims, that no one will miss (prostitutes) or they take a vulnerable person by more surreptitious measures (luring or snatching a kid off the street). This was completely brazen for a first crime IMO. I think if he talks, we will find out he has done other things, just never got caught. Maybe he has spied on or stalked other girls. The way he committed the crime also is unusual for someone his age. Most seral killers are in their late 20's when they kill their first victim. I think if Jayme had not escaped he would have been a serial killer. MOO.

'No guilt, no remorse, no empathy.' Criminal profilers say Jake Patterson case stands out

From the same article linked first by poster @Ragnarok , I'd like to quote what I think we suspected, but couldn't know absolutely until Jayme escaped.

Note: Copyright laws and WS Rules for copying info are upheld in my short quote of a page long very good article.

"Christine Sarteschi, associate professor of social work and criminology at Chatham University in Pittsburgh.

“This is someone who was highly motivated,” Sarteschi said. “It wasn’t revenge; it wasn’t money. He had a goal and he did what he wanted. He wanted something, and he went and took it. A lot of people would not be willing to kill in this manner.”

I think it’s very unique. ( still according to Sarteschi).
Although other major crimes share aspects of Patterson’s case — premeditating, planning, avoiding detection and erupting in deadly violence — the combination of these behaviors in the Jayme Closs abduction is outside the norm.
All of these things have happened in other cases, but this one is different because he did so many of them,” she said."
END QUOTE

My notes: Could all reading here please stop for a second or two and recall your life and activities when you were 21 years old, if you have reached or surpassed that age at present?

You, I, and most of the world at 21 years old were just learning about some adult responsibilities and expectations of others for our behavior and goals as we entered adulthood. 21 is usually a good age, a stepping off point into a career, maybe marriage, maybe a gap year to travel, but not to kill and kidnap. Why couldn't he just have gone to the most remote island in the world as a thrill?

Most of us likely enjoyed simple things such as a walk alone in the woods we loved, a movie and a date. Patterson wanted to kill 2 strangers in their home for the purpose of kidnapping their only child.

IF he hadn't gotten caught, he would have been a voracious serial killer in a short period of time, IMO, especially if he learned from his mistakes ( as serial killers absolutely do) and was able to remain a loner. and
return to his house a bit after he'd killed the next girl,or maybe used those survivalist skills he read about and camp, move, kill a young girl just within a day's drive of his house, then, camp, steal food, find, stalk and kill another young girl in a distant state. That's how most serial killers escalate, from their comfort zone close to home, to far- reaching places far from their original " base camp" in order to avoid detection.

DNA evidence at the crime scene is very helpful in finding a repeat killer once he's on the radar, of course, but Patterson didn't have any DNA on file, LE has told us, and we do not know what DNA of his, if any, was left at the Closs's house. ( I'm sure at least saliva and some perspiration were left, because he was so frenzied but that doesn't mean it was in quantity to be recovered). Of course, his DNA was collected but I'm referring to what he likely might have done if he'd not been caught.

JC likely not only saved herself but several to many girls in the future. I believe he would have starting killing ( or tried to kill) other young girls after watching JC and possibly starting to understand some things about the actions, likes, and so forth of girls that age. I think he studied her like she was a bug. So he could experience the thrill he got from the violence and control of surprising a total stranger and shooting them. I believe, because there are so many things about him which are extremely immature for his age, that his targeted age group would remain young teen girls.

Bottom line: I'm so very thankful all over again that JC survived and escaped despite great odds against it. Most kidnapped victims are killed within 24 hours of abduction. I'm so glad Patterson has confessed to at least the 2 murders several times, it appears.
Because of her bravery and not giving up after so long, and knowing her parents were dead, she probably saved other young girls' lives as well as her own.
Sociopathic killers don't stop killing until they're caught,in most cases.

It's likely that aspects of Patterson's total confession, most of which we do not know, will be used either anonymously as a historical case study or maybe by name in teaching forensic science, psychology, criminal profiling, and other fields of study where the "weird ones" are important to learn about, and to teach the fact that this type of killer absolutely cannot be anticipated in the absence of previous arrests or prior deviant behavior reported to LE.

Respectfully, IMO, except for quoted and attributed sentences which are marked as such.

Excellent points ... age 21 most wouldn’t even begin to fathom anything like this.

As for studying like a bug. I’d say more along lines of video games and military books in real life... played out..

He had no set up after kidnapping jayme.
He didn’t have cage..and no long term kidnapping plan... likely had standard mo planned.. harm, kill move on.

Your likely right doesn’t stop with her.
Half of his amazing planning isn’t planning. It’s siblings/parents that choose to not deal with something. Jake checked out and said put nothing in my name, I’d like to live in a 5 bedroom home by myself and nobody question me... they all said ok.

If his parents make him move in basement of their house or pay for own small apartment, 50 percent less chance this happens.

He was in his own world : half by choice. If u look at his resume, it was all made up, only thing accurate was his name. Likely only planned to steal liquor or maintain appearances with someone. Still think that’s telling to fill out resume and show nobody...
How many people fill out resume and don’t run by a single person?

[

Snipped for brevity.

A very thoughtful post. I think one of the reasons this was so unusual is the way he chose to do it. Most serial killers choose victims, especially first victims, that no one will miss (prostitutes) or they take a vulnerable person by more surreptitious measures (luring or snatching a kid off the street). This was completely brazen for a first crime IMO. I think if he talks, we will find out he has done other things, just never got caught. Maybe he has spied on or stalked other girls. The way he committed the crime also is unusual for someone his age. Most seral killers are in their late 20's when they kill their first victim. I think if Jayme had not escaped he would have been a serial killer. MOO.
I believe in time we will learn JP had a brewing appetite for combat. He had a plan to join USMC, and wanted to participate in battle action. When that failed, he had to adapt a new plan to gun people down outside of military combat. His obvious pride in his actions is what we read about. It's ironic that Univ of WI has done good studies on the psychopathy of inmates like JP. MOO

RSBM

No 'direct' response from mom, however it seems she is concerned about herself.

"The neighbor said he has received several “distraught” text messages from Frey in the past few days.

“It’s going to take a while for her to deal,” the neighbor said.

He said Frey, who remarried just two months ago, is “afraid” of all the attention from the case."

https://nypost.com/2019/01/15/mom-of-jayme-closss-alleged-kidnapper-is-totally-distraught/

As reported only two days after learning my son committed an unspeakable atrocity, I believe I'd be insane. Neighbor Frey also said "the tiny town has rallied around her by dropping off flowers outside the home where she lives with her new husband and Labradors." Yes, "devastated" and "distraught" an understatement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dont4get