GUILTY UK - Joe McCann, multiple victims kidnapped & assaulted, April / May 2019

All seems too quiet to me on the police front. Libby Squire, God bless her ,was so high profile..just seems so odd

Looking at the “cause/incite” charges I wonder if this crime spree involved forcing one sibling to attack another. Hopefully not, but in any case this will take an enormous amount of help and time for healing to occur.

Looking at the “cause/incite” charges I wonder if this crime spree involved forcing one sibling to attack another. Hopefully not, but in any case this will take an enormous amount of help and time for healing to occur.
I hope he pleads guilty so the victims don't have to testify and have the details come out.

I know they'll be anonymous, but I imagine some local people will know who they are.

Feb 15 2019 JM was released.
Joseph McCann: 17 May 2019: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou
"Robert Buckland The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice
In accordance with the sentence of the Court, Joseph McCann was released on 15 February 2019, after he had completed half (less time spent on remand) of a three-year determinate sentence for burglary imposed on 25 January 2018. On release, he was supervised by the National Probation Service (NPS)

When charged with that offence and remanded into custody on 21 August 2017, he was being supervised on licence by the NPS as part of the sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP) which he received on 26 September 2008. An offender on an IPP licence is not recalled automatically when he is charged with a further offence or offences. The probation officer will consider whether the alleged further offences, prior offending and the offender’s current behaviour show that his risk has escalated to the point where he needs to be recalled to protect the public. The decision on whether to recall an offender is to be based on a robust assessment of risk and to reflect the professional judgment of a trained probation officer.

The NPS has undertaken an urgent review to establish why Mr McCann was not recalled to custody, either when remanded into custody on 21 August 2017 or when he was sentenced on 15 February 2018. Mr McCann has now been charged with a number of very serious offences committed on or after 21 April this year. This has triggered a mandatory serious further offence (SFO) review, under the Probation SFO Review Procedures. The SFO review will consider in greater depth than has thus far been possible, including by interviewing relevant members of staff, the question of whether Mr McCann should have been recalled to custody when charged with and subsequently convicted of the burglary offence. Typically, an SFO review is completed within three months of an offender being charged with an SFO."

Wow Dotr, thank you for finding this!

So it is confirmed he was released on Feb 15th, the day Leah disappeared ...

For some reason I am convinced local police of Leah is looking into this too, just to be sure to rule him in or out.

Wow Dotr, thank you for finding this!

So it is confirmed he was released on Feb 15th, the day Leah disappeared ...

For some reason I am convinced local police of Leah is looking into this too, just to be sure to rule him in or out.

The last sighting of Leah was at 8.15 am. Would he be released that early and still have time to travel to Milton Keynes to intercept her before she reached her work place? I kind of doubt it?

Police investigating 12 sex crimes linked to Joseph McCann
  1. Sunday, April 21
    The first incident occurred in Watford, at 3.30am. A woman, aged in her 20s, was abducted and raped in a car.

2. Thursday, April 25
    The second incident took place in Chingford, London on at about 12.30am when a woman, aged in her 20s, was abducted and raped in a car.

3. Thursday, April 25
    At 12.15pm in Edgware, London, a woman, aged in her 20s, was abducted and raped in a car.

4. Sunday, May 5
    At 8am a woman aged in her 30s was falsely imprisoned at a location in Haslingden, Lancashire. In the same incident a teenage girl and boy, aged 11, were raped.

5. Sunday, May 5
    At around 1.30pm a woman aged 71 was abducted and raped in Bury, Manchester.

6. On Sunday, May 5
    At around 3.30pm in Heywood. Manchester, two 13-year-old boys and 13-year-old girl were abducted. The 13-year-old girl was sexually assaulted.

7. Sunday, May 5
    At approximately 6.30pm on two 14-year-old girls were forced into a car in Congleton. They were not sexually assaulted.
"DCI Katherine Goodwin, from the Metropolitan Police's Homicide and Major Crime Command, said: “Between Sunday, April 21 and Sunday, May 5 McCann is suspected to have been involved in a number of attacks across different parts of the country.

“I can confirm he is now being investigated for offences committed in Cheshire, Manchester and Lancashire in addition to London and Hertfordshire."

13168468-6997663-image-a-10_1557176731747.jpg

Rape suspect Joseph McCann linked to nine sex attacks on the same day | Daily Mail Online
Graphic shows McCann's trail of terror after being released in error in February

Feb 15 2019 JM was released.
Joseph McCann: 17 May 2019: Hansard Written Answers - TheyWorkForYou
"Robert Buckland The Minister of State, Ministry of Justice
In accordance with the sentence of the Court, Joseph McCann was released on 15 February 2019, after he had completed half (less time spent on remand) of a three-year determinate sentence for burglary imposed on 25 January 2018. On release, he was supervised by the National Probation Service (NPS)

When charged with that offence and remanded into custody on 21 August 2017, he was being supervised on licence by the NPS as part of the sentence of Imprisonment for Public Protection (IPP) which he received on 26 September 2008. An offender on an IPP licence is not recalled automatically when he is charged with a further offence or offences. The probation officer will consider whether the alleged further offences, prior offending and the offender’s current behaviour show that his risk has escalated to the point where he needs to be recalled to protect the public. The decision on whether to recall an offender is to be based on a robust assessment of risk and to reflect the professional judgment of a trained probation officer.

The NPS has undertaken an urgent review to establish why Mr McCann was not recalled to custody, either when remanded into custody on 21 August 2017 or when he was sentenced on 15 February 2018. Mr McCann has now been charged with a number of very serious offences committed on or after 21 April this year. This has triggered a mandatory serious further offence (SFO) review, under the Probation SFO Review Procedures. The SFO review will consider in greater depth than has thus far been possible, including by interviewing relevant members of staff, the question of whether Mr McCann should have been recalled to custody when charged with and subsequently convicted of the burglary offence. Typically, an SFO review is completed within three months of an offender being charged with an SFO."
Good sleuthing, dotr. Do you know how we can find out which prison he was released from?

As the victims of McCann now cover both ends of the UK from south-east to north-west I think the thread title needs to be amended. Can I suggest something along the lines of UK - Joe McCann, multiple victims kidnapped & assaulted, April / May 2019

I'll alert my post and see if a mod can change it.

May 23 2019 rbbm,
Alleged serial rapist Joseph McCann refuses to appear at the Old Bailey to face 21 charges
"An alleged serial rapist accused of abducting multiple women across the country over a two-week period has refused to appear in court for a second time.

Joseph McCann, 34, had been due to appear at the Old Bailey via video link at 10am for a plea and direction hearing."

But Mr Justice Edis said the case could now proceed in his absence".

"A psychiatric report is due to be submitted ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing scheduled for July 26."

"During one alleged incident, McCann is said to have tied a woman up in her own home and committed sexual offences, including rape, against her 17-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son."

May 23 2019 rbbm,
Alleged serial rapist Joseph McCann refuses to appear at the Old Bailey to face 21 charges
"An alleged serial rapist accused of abducting multiple women across the country over a two-week period has refused to appear in court for a second time.

Joseph McCann, 34, had been due to appear at the Old Bailey via video link at 10am for a plea and direction hearing."

But Mr Justice Edis said the case could now proceed in his absence".

"A psychiatric report is due to be submitted ahead of a plea and trial preparation hearing scheduled for July 26."

"During one alleged incident, McCann is said to have tied a woman up in her own home and committed sexual offences, including rape, against her 17-year-old daughter and 11-year-old son."
Crikey, I've never heard of someone refusing to come out of their cell! Has this ever happened before?

rbbm
May 24 2019
Rape suspect Joseph McCann refuses to leave cell for court hearing
"Mr Justice Edis said that, unlike a magistrates’ court, the defendant was not required.

He said McCann should be told that if he chose not to attend his trial, it would still happen in his absence."
"The senior judge set a provisional six-week trial at the Old Bailey to start on November 11 and a plea hearing on July 26."

The last sighting of Leah was at 8.15 am. Would he be released that early and still have time to travel to Milton Keynes to intercept her before she reached her work place? I kind of doubt it?
Where the heck has he been and what crimes has he committed between 15 Feb and 21 Apr, I wonder? They haven't said what prison he was released from but it would be Bedford, Aylesbury or Woodhill MK, IMO. the last one is only 2.5 miles from where Leah disappeared.
:-(

Thank goodness we've heard something, so Cheshunt, Watford, Aylesbury and Birmingham sort of follows his crime spree doesnt it? The firearms, stun gun and CS spray guy is worrying. Presumably these people helped him in some way.

from the article
  • A 34-year-old man in Cheshunt, Hertfordshire. He was also held held on suspicion of possessing firearms, including a stun gun and CS spray
  • A 27-year-old man in Watford
  • A 64-year-old woman and a 66-year-old man in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire
  • A 32-year-old woman and a 30-year-old man in Birmingham

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members