Deceased/Not Found CT - Jennifer Dulos, 50, New Canaan, 24 May 2019 *ARRESTS* #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’ll work too. :D
PoppyCock! (What NP says to the media)

Petty Cash (we know MT and FD can speak to this)

Power Corrupts (and that power which is an illusion will soon be taken away from you Fotis. Have fun with your commissary account in prison. Maybe you and Jodi Arias can be pen pals? She can tell you the ropes of what to purchase? Like pork rinds and cheese that squirts out of a can and razors and stuff like that.)

he does not agree with the gag order- wants to go to the Supreme Ct over it.... wants to be a test case:

Fotis Dulos’ lawyer warns they will not hesitate to bring gag appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court
No way the USSCt will grant review. The Court is busy, has already decided the cases to be heard this Term and is now hearing those cases. The Court has also previously upheld the constitutionality of gag orders pretrial in criminal cases. There is no new issue to be resolved, and the Court has far more important matters than the ability of Dulos' lawyer to become a real TV lawyer through his public rants.

He can file all the certiorari petitions he chooses (an extremely expensive proposition due to printing costs alone), the Court is not going hear his case. More hot air and idle threats. Where I live, the prosecutors would yawn. Does Rumplestilskin want to jump up and down some more and shout,"Look at me"?

Just basing it off paragraph 39 of the murder arrest warrant. They use this language "non-survivable without medical treatment" that's not very definitive. Also there has been only 2 other murders in Connecticut history that have obtained convictions without a body, one of them the guy confessed the other was infamous Woodchipper murder, they proved from bone fragments that has passed throught the chipper that her skull broke open in an outwardly manner and she was dead, which is much more convincing than this paragraph 39 imo. Here's how they proved it (timestamped):

The state had one doctor's opinion she's dead, Norm Pattis will have a few say she could have survived.

“The success rate of prosecuting no-body murder cases may be 88 percent nationally, but Connecticut thus far has scored 100 percent.

The first case in state history in which an arrest was made prior to the discovery of a body occurred in March 1986, when 33-year-old John Pittman was accused of murdering his wife, who had disappeared in 1985. Her remains were discovered in New Haven’s Mill River in April 1986. Pittman was found guilty in April 1987.

The Pittman case did not make DiBiase’s list because a body was eventually found prior to trial.

There are five known cases in Connecticut in which authorities entered a murder charge and a trial began despite the absence of a body. Prosecutors managed to secure convictions in all five.

• The first case, the infamous “woodchipper murder” conviction from 1989, saw Richard Crafts of Newtown deemed guilty of killing his wife and running her remains through a woodchipper. Her body was never found but the prosecution team worked with forensics experts to determine that 3 ounces of hair, bone shards and a tooth, discovered along the Housatonic River, belonged to the victim. Crafts is serving a 50-year prison sentence.

• After Carla Almeida disappeared in 1988, prosecutors secured a murder conviction against Tevfik Sivri of Trumbull, largely based on blood stains and other forensic evidence. Her remains later were discovered in Monroe, after Sivri’s conviction.

• Investigators determined that the body of Juan Disla, an accused Meriden drug dealer who disappeared in 2000, was disposed of through the use of powerful acid. Prosecutors secured convictions against four men, mostly because defendant Miguel Estrella was recorded describing the crime to a prison cellmate.

• In 2002, a judge sentenced Luis “The Boatman” Castelare to 20 years in prison for killing his ex-girlfriend nearly a decade prior. Castelare was only charged with the murder after walking into a Phoenix, Arizona, police station and confessing. Police reportedly turned him away on his first try. On his second try, he was placed under arrest. The victim’s body has never been found. Castelare told police he dumped her body into Long Island Sound.

• Lastly, prosecutors in New London secured a murder conviction against George Leniart in 2010 — a little more than 14 years after April Dawn Pennington was last seen in Montville. Leniart reportedly made incriminating statements to others, including another inmate.”
Expert: ‘No-body’ Branford murder case still ‘strong’

“Connecticut prosecutors have gotten convictions in a few cases in which the body hadn't been found. Investigators determined that Juan Disla of Meriden, a drug dealer who disappeared in 2000, had been murdered and dismembered, with acid used to help destroy his remains. Four men were ultimately convicted, including Robert Marrow, Lawrence Smith, Miguel Estrella and Jonathan Rivers. In that case, investigators got Estrella on tape describing the crime to a prison cellmate, and Marrow testified in exchange for a reduced sentence.

In the case of Carla Almeida, who disappeared in 1988, investigators had bloodstains, but not her body, when they got a conviction against Tevfik Sivri of Trumbull. Months later, her remains were found in Monroe.

In the famous "woodchipper murder" case, Richard Crafts was convicted of killing his wife, Helle Crafts, who vanished in 1986, and disposing of her body with a woodchipper. Investigators found evidence such as teeth and bone fragments.

April Dawn Pennington vanished in 1996 from Montville and hasn't been found, but prosecutors were able to get a murder conviction against George Leniart in 2010, based in part on statements Leniart made to others, including another inmate.

Defense attorney Norman Pattis, who represented Leniart, declined to discuss that case specifically.”
Missing in Connecticut: 'No body' murder cases difficult to solve, but possible

I am working to catalog some of the Atty. P. statements and in the process found this whopper:

The Jennifer Dulos Case So Far: Prosecutors Take On Fotis Dulos's Alibi In Arrest Warrant

Quotes from article:

After Dulos was first arrested in June 2019 on evidence tampering charges, Pattis rebutted speculation about his client’s involvement in Jennifer’s May 24 disappearance, saying “the alibi is enormous.”[BBM]

“We believe we can demonstrate with credible evidence that Mr. Dulos was in his home in Farmington ’til just about 9 a.m., at least 9,” on the day Jennifer went missing, Pattis said in June. “Thereafter, we still think he was in his home.”

Pattis indicated phone records would back up that claim. Even better for the defense, there were witnesses: Dulos’s then-girlfriend Michelle Troconis, and an attorney named Kent Mawhinney. [BBM]

Dulos-Troconis-booking-photos-1.7.20.jpg

Missing Connecticut mother Jennifer Dulos’ estranged husband Fotis Dulos and girlfriend, Michelle Troconis. (credit: Connecticut State Police)

“(Troconis) was with him at the time Jennifer went missing,” Pattis told Hearst Connecticut Media in June.

“We know where he was. Michelle knows where he was,” he said.

“Michelle provides Fotis a complete alibi for the morning of Ms. Dulos’s disappearance,” Pattis claimed.

Seven months later, that claim may no longer hold. [BBM]

View attachment 226863

MOO
YIKES !!!

he does not agree with the gag order- wants to go to the Supreme Ct over it.... wants to be a test case:

Fotis Dulos’ lawyer warns they will not hesitate to bring gag appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court
No way the USSCt will grant review. The Court is busy, has already decided the cases to be heard this Term and is now hearing those cases. The Court has also previously upheld the constitutionality of gag orders pretrial in criminal cases. There is no new issue to be resolved, and the Court has far more important matters than the ability of Dulos' lawyer to become a real TV lawyer through his public rants.

He can file all the certiorari petitions he chooses (an extremely expensive proposition due to printing costs alone), the Court is not going hear his case. More hot air and idle threats. Where I live, the prosecutors would yawn. Does Rumplestilskin want to jump up and down some more and shout,"Look at me"?

I think one thing that we need to keep in mind here, is that the Search Warrants and the Arrest Warrants should be interpreted differently.

For example, the search warrant for 80 MS says they have “probable cause to believe” that 80MS is a “secondary crime scene”. Yes, based on the footage of the Red Tacoma going directly there and all the time FD spent there that afternoon, it would give reason for LE to think that 80MS could be a secondary crime scene, enough evidence for a judge to grant permission for LE to go in and search it and see if that is indeed the case.
BUT, does LE still believe that 80MS was a secondary crime scene after the search? We just don’t know. We do know that the search warrant states “nothing seized” which makes me wonder.
So we can’t be sure if LE currently still considers 80MS to be a “secondary crime scene” or not. Thus the need to take the SW statements with a grain of salt. Many do hold up as this isn’t a “fishing expedition” by any means (and search warrants wouldn’t be granted under such circumstances anyway). So lots probably still does hold true.

So when we look at language in the search warrants, we need to consider that LE view might have changed, after the search was done. The language in the warrants is just to get permission to do the search and seizure. It doesn’t mean that what they find bears that hunch out.

The arrest warrant is much more definitive. They are not going to put things in the arrest warrant that are not seriously substantiated. So statements like that LE believes that FD was driving JDs Suburban away from Welles Lane at 10:25 and that JDs body was in the vehicle, are much more trustworthy. We may not know all the pieces that LE has in coming to that conclusion, but we can be sure that it’s held to a higher standard than the statements in the SWs, which just have to give probable cause to allow a search and seizure, rather than an arrest.

Also with the search warrants, many were issued very very early on, and more information became available, and LE thinking changed, during the course of the investigation. So keeping in mind that what they said back then may have shifted or become more complex in the time since.

EXACTLY! Many search warrants were executed around 5/31 or even before. Hence, why very little is included on KM at all.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I stand by my opinion as well. NO one else was present at 69 Welles Lane on the morning of 5/24 between the hours of 8:05 am and 10:25 am except for FD and JFd. I could make the case that someone may have gone to the residence after 10:25am before LA arrived at the residence at 11:30 or even came solely to retrieve the bicycle (which I believe was collected along with the crime scene cleanup materials and the body of Jennifer by FD). JMO.
But until I see something concrete that says the opposite and not just a catchall paragraph that is used to cover all bases...I am not changing my mind. LOL. I'm stubborn like that.

Earlier I mentioned I believed hiding the body
happened at least in 2 places in that they put it
somewhere on 5/24 when FD returned to Farmington.
Well on 5/24 someone's phone pinged in an
area near 190 Old Farms Rd., Avon at 2:15pm
and stayed there for appx. 1/2 hr. til 2:45pm.
Well, well. 190 Old Farms Rd, Avon happens
to be the location of Avon Self Storage which
somewhere in the past we determined FD had
a unit there.

So did he place the body there temporarily?
Or hide the bike there temporarily?
Something was taken there on date of murder.

After leaving the storage facility a phone pinged in area of 193 Birch St., Bristol which
just happens to be up the road from ESPN
headquarters where MT once worked. ESPN is 700 Birch St. Nearby
is a 55 ac. city park with a nice isolated fishing lake. Very remote, wooded land and few buildings closeby. The phone stayed in the area for 1/2 hr. The lake borders on Birch St., Bristol.
I'm sure LE has pieced this all together by now,
at least I hope so.

Regarding A.S.S. (Or Avon Self Storage) it is mentioned in the SW that MT went to that location around lunch hours of 5/24 to return an item to RH (hutch) wife that had allegedly been left at 4Jax on 5/23 during the dinner party. Just fyi.
RH (Hutch) owns the storage unit.
Edited also because much of the SW information is specific requests for warrants for Tower Dumps not a specific cell phone of KM, MT or FD. But the carriers of each one of their phones. AT&T, Verizon and Metro...

a unit there.

After leaving the storage facility a phone pinged in area of 193 Birch St., Bristol which
is a 55 ac. city park with a nice isolated fishing lake. Very remote, wooded land and few buildings closeby. The phone stayed in the area for 1/2 hr. The lake borders on Birch St., Bristol.
at least I hope so.

Also, isn’t Bristol on a possible route back to Farmington from Waterbury? Remember early on LE released something about the truck returning from NC on the 84 via Waterbury but cryptically didn’t specify which direction it went from there...

Come on what planet are you living on?
They have a very good success rate convicting without a body if there is enough evidence, which there is.
Are you even looking at any of the WS posts? AW or SW?
Unless you are working for no good NP and trying to put silliness in the threads?
Get real.
The standard is beyond a REASONABLE doubt, not beyond a SPECULATIVE doubt. The federal jury instruction refers to whether proof of guilt is of such reliability that a juror would use it in the most important of their daily affairs. That standard is easily met with the evidence presented to date.

You still have to prove the person is dead, if for example Fotis beat her up and sold her into sex trafficking totally different crime, he's not really guilty of murder.
Here’s an example of how that argument might go. Keep in mind that this CT “no body” case was way back in 1994 before DNA PCR technology was in common use, as it is now, so they could only argue on blood presence and blood type, rather than exact DNA match as we have in this case. Nonetheless the jury still returned a guilty verdict. (This is from the defendant’s appeal).

And, on the notion of sex trafficking, this case below involved an on-call masseuse (rather than a stay home mom of 5) and selling into sex trafficking was never considered or introduced. So I would guess that FD has an even lesser likelihood of prevailing with that line of argument, although I wouldn’t put it past FD to be involved in that kind of slimy endeavor. I can just see NP twirling his ponytail when he came up with that one, “hey Fotis, how about we say
you sold her as a sex slave, to alleviate her stress over the divorce and losing custody! We just need one juror to believe that!”

With that, read on how this case (Carla Almeida, disappeared 1988) was argued:

“With this background in mind, we begin our analysis by acknowledging the absence in this case of certain types of evidence that we have identified in other cases as supporting an inference of an intent to kill. Thus, there was in this case no body or evidence of body parts; compare State v. Crafts, supra, 226 Conn. 237; State v. Nicely, 39 Ohio St.3d 147, 529 N.E.2d 1236 (1988); State v. James, 819 P.2d 781 (Utah 1991); no evidence of the specific type of weapon used; compare State v. Raguseo, supra, 225 Conn. 120; no evidence of the specific type of wound inflicted on the victim; compare id.; State v. Chace, 199 Conn. 102, 106, 505 A.2d 712 (1986); and no evidence of prior planning, preparation or motive. Compare State v. Crafts,supra, 251; State v. Pinnock, 220 Conn. 765, 790, 601 A.2d 521 (1992); State v. Grant, 219 Conn. 596, 604, 594 A.2d 459 (1991). We conclude, nonetheless, that the circumstantial evidence and the reasonable inferences drawable therefrom are sufficient to support the jury's finding that the defendant had the intent to kill the victim.

First, according to Lee's testimony, the bloodstain in the carpet in the family room was large, measuring approximately eleven inches by fifteen inches. The stain, on the surface and underside of the carpet and on the underlying padding, was a vivid red, indicating a strong and fresh concentration of blood, as opposed to other liquid that may have entered the saturated area

[231 Conn. 128]

from the later shampooing of the rug.7 Lee testified that the bloodstain exhibited a direct contact and transfer pattern, and that the blood had soaked through "quite a few layers" of fabric, indicating that the source of the blood was on top of the carpet. By Lee's "very conservative" estimate, the amount of blood that had caused the stain was 1000 cubic centimeters. Lee equated that amount of blood to one liter, or a "little bit over" one quart. He testified that this represented approximately one-fourth of the total blood in the body of a woman of average build.

Second, there was sufficient evidence for the jury to infer that the fatal wound of the victim was caused by a weapon, rather than by human hands. This inference was permissibly based on the amount of blood found at the scene, and Lee's testimony to the effect that the amount of blood was caused by some instrument that was capable of cutting into a blood vessel or cutting deeply into the body.

Third, as noted above, Lee testified to the effect that, in order for the weapon to have caused a wound yielding that much blood, the weapon would have been required to "cut"8 very deeply into the body or to have cut a blood vessel, namely, a vein or artery. Thus, the

[231 Conn. 129]

jury could have inferred that the weapon that the defendant used in killing the victim had an edge or point sharp enough and had been used vigorously enough to cut or penetrate deeply enough into the body so as to cause the massive bleeding that Lee estimated.

Fourth, the evidence supports the inference that the defendant caused that wound by using a weapon in the family room. The jury, using its common experience, could have inferred that a family room, unlike perhaps a garage or basement, is not the kind of room in a house that would ordinarily contain a weapon capable of causing that kind of wound. From this, the jury could also infer that, before using the weapon, the defendant either had such a weapon in his possession while he was in that room or had obtained it from some other part of the house.9

Fifth, there was evidence of the defendant's failure to summon medical assistance for the victim. In both State v. Greenfield, supra, 228 Conn. 78, and State v. Francis, 228 Conn. 118,128-29, 635 A.2d 762 (1993), we noted the defendant's failure to summon medical assistance for his victim as part of the evidence from which the jury could have inferred an intent to kill. The reasoning underlying those cases is that it can be inferred that, if the defendant has caused a grievous wound that could cause the victim's death if not treated promptly, the failure to summon that treatment is consistent with an antecedent intent to cause death.

[231 Conn. 130]

Sixth, there was very strong evidence of the defendant's consciousness of guilt. This evidence consisted of the defendant's: (1) hiding the victim's body and disposing of the victim's car within a very short period of time; (2) attempting to destroy the bloody evidence, in both his house and his car; (3) sudden flight to Turkey; and (4) use of aliases upon his return to the United States. We have in the past considered consciousness of guilt evidence as part of the evidence from which a jury may draw an inference of an intent to kill. See State v. Patterson,229 Conn. 328, 333, 641 A.2d 123 (1994); State v. Francis, supra, 228 Conn. 131; State v. Reid,193 Conn. 646, 656, 480 A.2d 463 (1984).

In sum, we conclude that there was sufficient evidence for the jury reasonably to have inferred that: (1) the defendant killed the victim; (2) he used a weapon with a sharp edge or point with sufficient force to cut a blood vessel, or to cut or penetrate her body deeply enough, so as to cause her to lose one fourth of the blood in her body; (3) prior to using the weapon, the defendant either had the weapon in his possession or had left the family room to obtain it; (4) the victim lay on the rug, bleeding massively from the wound; (5) after inflicting the wound, the defendant did not summon medical assistance for his victim; (6) shortly after killing the victim, the defendant took extraordinary measures to destroy the evidence, and extraordinarily successful measures to hide the body; and (7) he took extraordinary measures to avoid apprehension. Although the evidence certainly did not mandate an inference of an intent to kill, we conclude that, taken together, it reasonably supports the inference of an intent to kill that the jury drew.”
STATE v. SIVRI | 231 Conn. 115 (1994) | conn1151342 | Leagle.com

I wonder if the AVON pond will be mentioned in the next warrant
Avon Pond is right behind Avon Storage, owned by Hutch Haines. There is a SW request for a cell tower dump the afternoon of 5/24 for that address between 2;15-2:45, LE was clearly trying to see who (whose phone, that is) was in the area at that time.

If HH voluntarily gave LE access to search The Pond, then no warrant is needed. We saw them doing the search but we don’t see a warrant so we might infer that HH allowed them access voluntarily.

Last edited:
Also, isn’t Bristol on a possible route back to Farmington from Waterbury? Remember early on LE released something about the truck returning from NC on the 84 via Waterbury but cryptically didn’t specify which direction it went from there...
I recall they only tracked him coming back as
far as an exit on 84 up near Plymouth or so
then he would have come down Rt. 6, I believe
but that's a different area of Bristol.
and the time of the phone ping mentioned would be after he was back at Farmington for
1-2 hrs.
Also regarding MT's alibi of returning a purse
to Avon Storage Unit, I don't believe that's ever been confirmed as a true fact by LE. Anything she says I disregard. Besides this was afternoon long after MT's morning of alibi's.

Avon Pond is right behind Avon Storage, owned by Hutch Haines. There is a SW request for a cell tower dump the afternoon of 5/24 for that address between 2;15-2:45, LE was clearly trying to see who (whose phone, that is) was in the area at that time.

If HH voluntarily gave LE access to search The Pond, then no warrant is needed. We saw them doing the search it we don’t see a warrant so we might infer that HH allowed them access voluntarily.

HH has been cooperating with LE. NO doubt he gave them access. He was very disturbed that MT and FD showed up at the lake together for the 5/31 bbq. He pretty much asked FD to leave and told FD it wasn't a good idea for MT and FD to be seen together with JFd reported missing. When asked by HH where JFd was, HH deflected and instead opined about the medical bills that JFd was racking up. It was at this moment that HH saw an alert on his phone about LE searching trashbins in Hartford and communicated this to FD who then read the story and locked eyes with MT and left while speaking on his phone to someone that HH believed was FD attorney.
HH and HH wife can add to the story of the item returned if that did indeed happen.
A.S.S. is mentioned in the SWs.

a unit there.

at least I hope so.
This is a case of needing to keep the SW in perspective. Just because they requested a cell tower dump of the location of Avon Self Storage (which happens to be right in front of The Pond as well) and of Birch St in Bristol doesn’t mean that one of the perps was there and stayed there the whole 30 minutes.
MOO, is that they have surveillance of one of their vehicles there at that time, perhaps without great resolution, and are looking to clarify who was driving it.
Another option is that they were looking to confirm MTs statements about her whereabouts at those times, that she said she went to those locations so they want to confirm since MT is a known liar, from the very start.
They requested a 30 minute window to be both reasonable and to ensure good enough coverage to pick it up. That doesn’t mean they expect the person stayed there all 30 minutes. But could be of course.
MOO.

I recall they only tracked him coming back as
far as an exit on 84 up near Plymouth or so
then he would have come down Rt. 6, I believe
but that's a different area of Bristol.
and the time of the phone ping mentioned would be after he was back at Farmington for
1-2 hrs.
Also regarding MT's alibi of returning a purse
to Avon Storage Unit, I don't believe that's ever been confirmed as a true fact by LE. Anything she says I disregard. Besides this was afternoon long after MT's morning of alibi's.
Yes the timing is interesting... Seems like there would have been more than enough time for the white Jeep to have gone there that day.

I looked up the address but that building doesn't seem to exist... An approximate address maybe?

Attachments

• surveillance.jpg
    surveillance.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 46
  • cell network data.jpg
    cell network data.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 42
Oh I have older teens, a young teen and a 9 year old...I don't doubt for 1 second what its been like for GF with the older two...and remember they are older (14) and not stupid and no matter how much you shield kids - they hear plenty...

In just 4 or less short years they can say MY DAD DID NOTHING, BLA BLA BLA, and sue for their early inheritance...I would count on it (pressure from their only surviving parent will be strong, GF getting older daily)...

My friends 12 year old is already staring with, "Dad said I can tell the judge I don't want to live with you next year and I am going to live with DAD," and its just really super horrible..and my friends 12 year old WAS literally IN THE CAR as the ex ran them off the road just 6 months ago...this is how much kids will forgive anything from Dad. A dad that ignored the 3 kids, their entire marriage..but if Dad gets my friends kids, guess what else he gets....drum roll; their rich grandpas MONEY (or so he thinks)..
Personal Computer.
Politically Correct.
Pop Corn.
Probable Cause.

The bucket, the clean up...

We really don't know HOW MANY TIMES FD may have filled that bucket on May 24. At JD's sink. Maybe we'll get lucky and FD will tell us.

"I don't know where she is. She could still be alive. You're all lying. She didn't bleed as much as you say she did. There wasn't THAT MUCH blood. Most of that was just water, which I poured on it. Like 8 buckets' worth. I'm not a MURDERER. I just like to clean."

I credit the nanny as a hero in her own right, for getting LE alerted as quickly as she did. If she and JF's friend had waited even until morning, I wonder what this case would look like. I wonder if FD ever considered returning to Welles for additional clean up.

If only the nanny would've seen or smelled the blood in the garage.... just hours after the murder. LE might've caught FD red-handed. But honestly, how could she have known?

How did FD pull this off? How did he know there'd be no nanny on the morning of 5/24? How did he know that JF would be home at 8am? How did he know he'd be alone there for the morning? Alone as in, no nanny, no cleaning lady, no cable guy. As it was, he was barely out of there before the nanny returned.

Wish this could go to trial right now. FD does not deserve a single day of freedom, ankle bracelet or not.

JMO

BBM
Maybe he only left the garage when he heard some one coming up the drive or into the house. He likes risky sports. That would mean that he had to put JD's body and his trash in the bushes or some where and pick it up. We have sort of accepted that he rode his bike to the house, but we have not discussed him leaving the house with anything except, for possibly having the other Suburban on an adjoining street (unless that was on another day).

Last edited:
Here’s an example of how that argument might go. Keep in mind that this CT “no body” case was way back in 1994 before DNA PCR technology was in common use, as it is now, so they could only argue on blood presence and blood type, rather than exact DNA match as we have in this case. Nonetheless the jury still returned a guilty verdict. (This is from the defendant’s appeal).

And, on the notion of sex trafficking, this case below involved an on-call masseuse (rather than a stay home mom of 5) and selling into sex trafficking was never considered or introduced. So I would guess that FD has an even lesser likelihood of prevailing with that line of argument, although I wouldn’t put it past FD to be involved in that kind of slimy endeavor. I can just see NP twirling his ponytail when he came up with that one, “hey Fotis, how about we say
you sold her as a sex slave, to alleviate her stress over the divorce and losing custody! We just need one juror to believe that!”

With that, read on how this case (Carla Almeida, disappeared 1988) was argued:

“With this background in mind, we begin our analysis by acknowledging the absence in this case of certain types of evidence that we have identified in other cases as supporting an inference of an intent to kill. Thus, there was in this case no body or evidence of body parts; compare State v. Crafts, supra, 226 Conn. 237; State v. Nicely, 39 Ohio St.3d 147, 529 N.E.2d 1236 (1988); State v. James, 819 P.2d 781 (Utah 1991); no evidence of the specific type of weapon used; compare State v. Raguseo, supra, 225 Conn. 120; no evidence of the specific type of wound inflicted on the victim; compare id.; State v. Chace, 199 Conn. 102, 106, 505 A.2d 712 (1986); and no evidence of prior planning, preparation or motive. Compare State v. Crafts,supra, 251; State v. Pinnock, 220 Conn. 765, 790, 601 A.2d 521 (1992); State v. Grant, 219 Conn. 596, 604, 594 A.2d 459 (1991). We conclude, nonetheless, that the circumstantial evidence and the reasonable inferences drawable therefrom are sufficient to support the jury's finding that the defendant had the intent to kill the victim.

First, according to Lee's testimony, the bloodstain in the carpet in the family room was large, measuring approximately eleven inches by fifteen inches. The stain, on the surface and underside of the carpet and on the underlying padding, was a vivid red, indicating a strong and fresh concentration of blood, as opposed to other liquid that may have entered the saturated area

[231 Conn. 128]

from the later shampooing of the rug.7 Lee testified that the bloodstain exhibited a direct contact and transfer pattern, and that the blood had soaked through "quite a few layers" of fabric, indicating that the source of the blood was on top of the carpet. By Lee's "very conservative" estimate, the amount of blood that had caused the stain was 1000 cubic centimeters. Lee equated that amount of blood to one liter, or a "little bit over" one quart. He testified that this represented approximately one-fourth of the total blood in the body of a woman of average build.

Second, there was sufficient evidence for the jury to infer that the fatal wound of the victim was caused by a weapon, rather than by human hands. This inference was permissibly based on the amount of blood found at the scene, and Lee's testimony to the effect that the amount of blood was caused by some instrument that was capable of cutting into a blood vessel or cutting deeply into the body.

Third, as noted above, Lee testified to the effect that, in order for the weapon to have caused a wound yielding that much blood, the weapon would have been required to "cut"8 very deeply into the body or to have cut a blood vessel, namely, a vein or artery. Thus, the

[231 Conn. 129]

jury could have inferred that the weapon that the defendant used in killing the victim had an edge or point sharp enough and had been used vigorously enough to cut or penetrate deeply enough into the body so as to cause the massive bleeding that Lee estimated.

Fourth, the evidence supports the inference that the defendant caused that wound by using a weapon in the family room. The jury, using its common experience, could have inferred that a family room, unlike perhaps a garage or basement, is not the kind of room in a house that would ordinarily contain a weapon capable of causing that kind of wound. From this, the jury could also infer that, before using the weapon, the defendant either had such a weapon in his possession while he was in that room or had obtained it from some other part of the house.9

Fifth, there was evidence of the defendant's failure to summon medical assistance for the victim. In both State v. Greenfield, supra, 228 Conn. 78, and State v. Francis, 228 Conn. 118,128-29, 635 A.2d 762 (1993), we noted the defendant's failure to summon medical assistance for his victim as part of the evidence from which the jury could have inferred an intent to kill. The reasoning underlying those cases is that it can be inferred that, if the defendant has caused a grievous wound that could cause the victim's death if not treated promptly, the failure to summon that treatment is consistent with an antecedent intent to cause death.

[231 Conn. 130]

Sixth, there was very strong evidence of the defendant's consciousness of guilt. This evidence consisted of the defendant's: (1) hiding the victim's body and disposing of the victim's car within a very short period of time; (2) attempting to destroy the bloody evidence, in both his house and his car; (3) sudden flight to Turkey; and (4) use of aliases upon his return to the United States. We have in the past considered consciousness of guilt evidence as part of the evidence from which a jury may draw an inference of an intent to kill. See State v. Patterson,229 Conn. 328, 333, 641 A.2d 123 (1994); State v. Francis, supra, 228 Conn. 131; State v. Reid,193 Conn. 646, 656, 480 A.2d 463 (1984).

In sum, we conclude that there was sufficient evidence for the jury reasonably to have inferred that: (1) the defendant killed the victim; (2) he used a weapon with a sharp edge or point with sufficient force to cut a blood vessel, or to cut or penetrate her body deeply enough, so as to cause her to lose one fourth of the blood in her body; (3) prior to using the weapon, the defendant either had the weapon in his possession or had left the family room to obtain it; (4) the victim lay on the rug, bleeding massively from the wound; (5) after inflicting the wound, the defendant did not summon medical assistance for his victim; (6) shortly after killing the victim, the defendant took extraordinary measures to destroy the evidence, and extraordinarily successful measures to hide the body; and (7) he took extraordinary measures to avoid apprehension. Although the evidence certainly did not mandate an inference of an intent to kill, we conclude that, taken together, it reasonably supports the inference of an intent to kill that the jury drew.”
STATE v. SIVRI | 231 Conn. 115 (1994) | conn1151342 | Leagle.com
Wow how did you find this case? Nothing on websleuths about it, are you a lawyer? Looks like they found the body after the conviction interesting case BODY OF WOMAN KILLED IN 1988 FOUND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa