Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #44

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw that too. I ordered some of that hepa vacuum cleaner bags, and some down jacket repair tape. So they are sending the repair tape now, and the bags mid may. Man I'm having trouble with internet, grrrr. I don't want anyone in my house, much less repairmen.
If you call the cable company, and explain your issues, they may be able to guide you through it. I had internet issues a week ago, and didn't want anyone in my home either. I called Spectrum after trying to reset modem, and they sent a guy out whom left the new modem in our garage. They said they would contact me when all of this was over, to pick up the old one. The problem continued, and they came back and gave us new cables, and a new splitter. The issue was resolved, and I was so happy they didn't want to come in either. MOO

I’m not sure exactly how that source arrives at this new date. I don’t think it has to do with actual cases peaking at the new date, but involves resources available or needed peaking at an earlier date. This source still lists May 3. I will keep an eye on this.

The coronavirus outbreak won't peak in every state at once

If it's the Johns Hopkins page, it just counts ventilators (now fewer in Oregon) vs. projected cases based on typical algorithms for a region of that size and population density.

It's been very accurate. I think it has everything to do with the actual cases diagnosed in the preceding 2 week period combined with admission and mortality rates, in an algorithm that epidemiologists use. The shaded area represents the statistical variation. Most people wouldn't bet a lot on the more optimistic scenarios, if they're in medicine.

They like to be prepared.

I have been disturbed by the idea that a ventilator is "magical" and once a person is off one, they are alive and good to go. I have worked with children who were on ventilators, many recovered, with brain damage, vision loss, significant gross and find motor delays.

People should be informed that maybe, they don't want to be on a ventilator.

Opinion | What You Should Know Before You Need a Ventilator

Thank you for this.

pocketaccent's quote said, "On day seven of their investigation, the virus was still present on the outward facing side of the mask."

:eek: That is shocking. Throwing away the surgical mask I saved. I was trying to be ecology-minded, but forget that.

Many of the big food stores in So. California, since we banned light weight plastic bags, now give us these super strong, indestructible, plastic, reusable bags. I was washing them to reuse...being ecology-minded. I feel I'm drowning in plastic, and worry about the oceans. Well, now, with the virus, the Grocery Outlet nearby no longer allows you to bring in any reusable bag, but sells large paper bags for 10 cents. Truthfully, I wish all the stores would just go to paper bags then, instead of giving me indestructible plastic I can't :( even reuse anymore.

I feel helpless. So, maybe we need to throw all of our used masks in an oven heated to 150 f ?
Asap?

(A lot of good information here)

The coronavirus can live on a surgical mask for 7 days, cloth for 2 days, and paper for 3 hours.

Here's how to disinfect surfaces properly.
A study published April 2 in the journal The Lancet shows that the virus lasts longest — up to seven days — on stainless steel, plastic, and surgical masks.
Strikingly, the authors wrote, of all the materials they tested, the coronavirus lasted longest on the outer layer of a surgical mask. On day seven of their investigation, the virus was still present on the outward facing side of the mask.

So, no drive thru or food takeaways. If your water heater explodes, your oven or your computer go on the blitz, that's just too bad?g
they have 4.4 million people in New Zealand.
Only 100 cases? Statistically, of which 60% will not have symptoms?
Personally, I'm glad she is not my leader. I also do not applaud her for not including Scientists on her panel.
* My comments are based upon this article. If the reporters are not telling the whole truth. Then my comments will not stand.

The referenced article is dated 23rd March, so that is old info .... New Zealand enters near-total lockdown

NZ now has 1,160 cases of coronavirus ... with one death attributed to the virus (a woman with pre-existing conditions).

BBM
"Cases of coronavirus have begun to stabilise and decline in New Zealand, with experts saying the country may be the only western nation with a chance of totally eradicating the disease."

New Zealand health minister demoted after beach visit broke lockdown rules

Last edited:
Polis extends Colorado stay-at-home order to April 26

“"The reason for the April 26 date is very simple: because the data and the science tells us that staying at home, it is our best chance, our only chance, to avoid a catastrophic loss of life -- the
deaths of thousands of our friends, our neighbors, our family member," Polis said in a televised address.”

I'm not going to complain. I'd rather they save lives, but this is just to report my experience today. I don't know if it'll help and there's difference of opinions so far, but...

MOO, it's true that Lupus and RA patients that normally take hydroxychloroquine may be affected by the shortage of the drug for awhile.

I have taken Plaquenil for RA for years. It's a blessing and has helped me so much. Tried to get my normal 90 day refill today. I ordered it online yesterday, but
(1) They wouldn't mail it this time, said to go pick it up. (I went to the pharmacy at the hospital. Great procedures and they took my temperature when I went in.)
(2) They only gave me a 14 day supply and they count it as a full refill. Instead of 100 pills, I got 14. Oh well, it's okay, we're in a Pandemic.

As I said, I'm not complaining. I know the news and Trump has said production of the drug has been increased. I hope something can help save lives.

This was an interesting article someone posted earlier today. Combo with Zinc.
LA doctor seeing success with hydroxychloroquine to treat COVID-19
Wow...

I have been disturbed by the idea that a ventilator is "magical" and once a person is off one, they are alive and good to go. I have worked with children who were on ventilators, many recovered, with brain damage, vision loss, significant gross and find motor delays.

People should be informed that maybe, they don't want to be on a ventilator.

Opinion | What You Should Know Before You Need a Ventilator

It won't let me see the article. I really want to read it. Can you copy some of it for me please?

You're right in what you say. Trying to fill out an Advance Health Care Directive, and the doctors have been very blunt that life-saving measures should be an informed choice of the patient while they can still make the choice. It's hard to say no ventilator, no CPR,... just let me go.

Lysol - you don’t necessarily need that specifically. Ive been using rubbing alcohol and paper towels. You can make your own wipes by re-using an old canister, inserting a roll of PT, and saturating it with rubbing alcohol (65%+, but the higher the better). You can also buy or re-use a spray bottle and fill it with rubbing alcohol. The big box stores have been out for weeks, but I found it at my neighborhood convenience store quite easily.

Hand sanitizer - you shouldn’t need to use a whole lot of this. Wash with soap and water whenever possible, in accordance with CDC guidelines; leave the hand sanitizer for the times you don’t have access. I use rubbing alcohol/PT, as I don’t have any hand sanitizer. However, I rarely need anything other than soap and water. But—whatever method you use, make sure to moisturize well once in the safety of your home, as dry hands can develop micro-cracks that are an invitation for microbes. Use cream, not lotion, per my dermatologist (the higher water content in lotion actually dehydrates more). I use Cetaphil cream; their night cream is even more moisturizing for me, personally.

Vit C - you can buy a multivitamin instead (unless contraindicated) that lists a 100% DV of vit c. I’m not sure if you’re taking vit c based on the report posted in a previous thread about high-dose vit c, but that (what was reported in the studies) isn’t something you’d be able to accomplish taking an OTC vitamin.

General disclaimers:
Consult your doc when considering taking herbs/vitamins.

Everything MOO.

tysm!
yeah no rubbing alcohol but you're right I haven't checked the variety stores
we just have hand sanitizer in the car and I do already use cetaphil
I'll research further re: vitamin C

It won't let me see the article. I really want to read it. Can you copy some of it for me please?

You're right in what you say. Trying to fill out an Advance Health Care Directive, and the doctors have been very blunt that life-saving measures should be an informed choice of the patient while they can still make the choice. It's hard to say no ventilator, no CPR,... just let me go.

Just "Google" ventilator therapy, after ventilator, recovery from ventilator. It is something that should be an option for last resort. But, it may not be the optimal choice for everyone.

Be informed, and make sure that you are the one who makes decisions about your care, now. Not being extremist, but, do you have a living will made out? That specifies exactly how much care you want if you are not able to articulate your wishes?

My husband and I had this conversation together years ago. And printed out our living will. It is hanging on the side of our fridge.
Free Advance Directive Forms by State from AARP

Last edited:
I feel helpless. So, maybe we need to throw all of our used masks in an oven heated to 150 f ?
Asap?

Using paper surgical, but I like those cloth colorful patterned masks. I'd like some for cold & flu season, but now this stubborn devil virus requires much more sterilization. I imagine you'd have to throw the cloth masks in a bleach laundry solution to reuse? Could I still have the colorful patterned masks then?

Using paper surgical, but I like those cloth colorful patterned masks. I'd like some for cold & flu season, but now this stubborn devil virus requires much more sterilization. I imagine you'd have to throw the cloth masks in a bleach laundry solution to reuse? Could I still have the colorful patterned masks then?
I think you can put them in boiling water and boil them (after you wash them) to kill off any virus.

Here’s part of it. Eye opening for sure:

Doctors are left with impossible choices. Too much oxygen poisons the air sacs, worsening the lung damage, but too little damages the brain and kidneys. Too much air pressure damages the lung, but too little means the oxygen can’t get in. Doctors try to optimize, to tweak.

Nobody can tolerate being ventilated like this without sedation. Covid-19 patients are put into a medically induced coma before being placed on a ventilator. They do not suffer, but they cannot talk to us and they cannot tell us how much of this care they want.

Eventually, all the efforts of health care workers may not be enough, and the body begins to collapse. No matter how loved, how vital or how needed a person is, even the most modern technology isn’t always enough. Death, while typically painless, is no less final.

Even among the Covid-19 patients who are ventilated and then discharged from the intensive care unit, some have died within days from heart damage.

Even before Covid-19, for those lucky enough to leave the hospital alive after suffering acute respiratory distress syndrome, recovery can take months or years. The amount of sedation needed for Covid 19 patients can cause profound complications, damaging muscles and nerves, making it hard for those who survive to walk, move or even think as well as they did before they became ill. Many spend most of their recovery time in a rehabilitation center, and older patients often never go home. They live out their days bed bound, at higher risk of recurrent infections, bed sores and trips back to the hospital.

All this does not mean we shouldn’t use ventilators to try to save people. It just means we have to ask ourselves some serious questions: What do I value about my life? If I will die if I am not put in a medical coma and placed on a ventilator, do I want that life support? If I do choose to be placed on a ventilator, how far do I want to go? Do I want to continue on the machine if my kidneys shut down? Do I want tubes feeding me so I can stay on the ventilator for weeks?

Right now, all over the country, patients and their families are being asked to make these difficult decisions at a moment’s notice, while they are on the verge of dying, breathless and terrified.

Just "Google" ventilator therapy, after ventilator, recovery from ventilator. It is something that should be an option for last resort. But, it may not be the optimal choice for everyone.

Be informed, and make sure that you are the one who makes decisions about your care, now. Not being extremist, but, do you have a living will made out? That specifies exactly how much care you want if you are not able to articulate your wishes?

My husband and I had this conversation together years ago. And printed out our living will. It is hanging on the side of our fridge.

It's very hard to face the endings,
but unexpected things happen. It isn't just "old" people who should consider their informed choices while still in good health.

I think, but I'm not sure, that now days instead of calling it a Living Will they call it an Advanced Health Care Directive in California.

I already have a bright pink form that is called a POLST (Physicians Orders for Life Sustaining Treatment) hanging on my refrig for emergency situations, but the other is a more detailed directive to include your family members as your health care agents.

I agree, parents don't want to leave a lot of hard choices for their children to have to make upon the parent's death, and that includes burial or cremation decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member