Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not sure. They were posted here. It showed BM reading a book or something in the living area and the girls with a blanket around them. And then showed the master bedroom and bath. In fact it may have been pictures on an episode of court tv. Are those the ones you are thinking of? Also had a huge deer head (i think it was a deer. It was a large animal) hanging in the living area.

I’m talking about the photo with BM reading a book. It looks like someone took a trip to Homegoods to me. Candles, string lights, garland, coordinated stockings.

I haven’t seen any photos of the master bedroom and bath other than real estate listings.

Kinda new here, been reading for weeks now and getting so frustrated by lack of developments in the case. I recall a case a few years ago in Raleigh where the husband said his wife went out jogging and disappeared...and they found her dead a few days later in a drainage ditch nearby. Nancy Cooper case. They had small kids in that case but it echoed with me. Suzanne looks like someone I would love to be friends with![/

Without finding a body, it’s a little early for the investigation to be wrapped up and an arrest made, IMO. We are all anxious. I want LE to find her alive. Yet even if she was abducted, I can’t think of a reason to keep her alive and that’s horrifying. i wish it would all just go away and she would be fine and well. After suffering with cancer and treatments, she needed some really happy times ahead.

I’m talking about the photo with BM reading a book. It looks like someone took a trip to Homegoods to me. Candles, string lights, garland, coordinated stockings.

I haven’t seen any photos of the master bedroom and bath other than real estate listings.
Wherever I saw the pictures, both were shown together. Yes I guess it was set for Christmas. I guess we just see it differently. The bath and bedroom were stark.

@nodamselindistress :). We had a case where the wife went missing. After a few days, when the husband realized there would be no life insurance payout for him without her body he suddenly "found" a body part of hers in a black garbage bag in the culvert outside their house when he was "mowing the law". Starts screaming the works. He had gone to wherever she was and brought it home. The rest of her was never found. Yes, he went to jail.

I sincerely hope that if SM is in fact deceased that her family will not have to endure wondering where she is like the family of the lady mentioned above. So many remote areas and places to hide a body around there. It seems overwhelming, but the cops know what they're doing by the sounds of it so fingers crossed.

Because bicycle geeks like to examine every micro detail of every bike out there. It's what we do.
BUT.... color is only a micro aspect of this tendency, so feel thankful we haven't been discussing derailleurs or comparing the forks of different brands and models on the basis of relative flex resistance.
This made me LMBO Lol :p

Wherever I saw the pictures, both were shown together. Yes I guess it was set for Christmas. I guess we just see it differently. The bath and bedroom were stark.

I’m having a hard time following the thread today. What does taste in decor have to do with the case, in any way? All I hope is that the perp likes stripes and sees that come to fruition.

I like it, and I’m a woman. It’s cozy to me.

I so agree! This is actually quite a common and sought after style here in Colorado. I live in a smallish mountain town in Colorado and many homes are decorated in a similar manner, including homes of woman that do not like hunting or that don't have a male in their life that goes hunting. I don't think that we can conclude based on the design/decoration of the home that SM had no say in how the home looked. Minus the taxidermy, i personally really like it... MOO.

I'm curious - there probably isn't a "norm" on a case like this - but what is a reasonable expectation on a no body case, even with strong evidence (let's say likely murder weapon found, DNA evidence, other circumstantial evidence revealing motive and opportunity) - it makes sense that a prosecutor would give it some time - hoping a body is found, for a confession - or, at a minimum, enough time has passed to weaken an argument that the victim could be alive somewhere sipping margaritas on a beach. Weeks? Months? Year(s)? I hope SM is found, but I am concerned that this is a possibility....
If he followed that case, I’m sure he thought, if ONLY you had done it all by yourself ... you would have never got caught. It’s true. I’m not sure Frazee would have been arrested/convicted without his rodeo accomplice.

I'm curious - there probably isn't a "norm" on a case like this - but what is a reasonable expectation on a no body case, even with strong evidence (let's say likely murder weapon found, DNA evidence, other circumstantial evidence revealing motive and opportunity) - it makes sense that a prosecutor would give it some time - hoping a body is found, for a confession - or, at a minimum, enough time has passed to weaken an argument that the victim could be alive somewhere sipping margaritas on a beach. Weeks? Months? Year(s)? I hope SM is found, but I am concerned that this is a possibility....
If he followed that case, I’m sure he thought, if ONLY you (PF) had done it all by yourself ... you would have never got caught. It’s true. I’m not sure PF would have been arrested/convicted without his rodeo accomplice.

The CO house
The original owner was not a trust, appears to be a small scale developer or owner/builder who constructs and sells homes.

Wondering if that's a mistake? But I searched all the other (will remain unnamed) owners and see various permits not associated with 19057?
If it's not a mistake, there is some sketchiness involved o_O
A small developer was my thought also. Appears the lot was purchased in 2008 (ouch) and by 2011 a spec house had been finished and put on the market. It has pretty steadily been on and off the market since. It was sold to the M's in 2018. Under this link scroll down to Price/Tax History for detail of market history.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/19057-Puma-Path-Salida-CO-81201/96847591_zpid/

If the builder held it for so long, I suspect the builder sparsely furnished it and rented it out (short term vacation rentals) until it sold just to make ends meet and pay the taxes. Might explain the property's r/e listing photos.

What strikes me as very odd is how the listing price bounced all over. Look at the previous listing prices and then the jump the price took when BM and SM purchased it.

It appears BM and SM own the property, and have no mortgage against it. If indeed the builder had owned it for so many years, he must have been anxious to get his money out of it. Sometimes if a builder ends up holding a spec property for too long, they will consider a swap. Either for another property or maybe for BM's Landscaping Services. By landscaping, I don't mean mowing the lawn, more like leveling new properties, moving boulders, clearing land for driveways etc. Might be the reason he was clearing and leveling the Salida property on Mother's Day.

Anyway, something to think about.

MOO

Last edited:
I’m having a hard time following the thread today. What does taste in decor have to do with the case, in any way? All I hope is that the perp likes stripes and sees that come to fruition.

Yes, the home is decorated like many, many others around here. I don't think it tells us anything about the case and/or family dynamics.

I've not spent much time in Colorado, but I think oversized sofas n' stuffed deer heads n' antlers etc are pretty common for rural log homes in mountain areas. Occasionally a stuffed bear or two also. I don't think we can read much into it that would pertain to SMs disappearance. It's just decor.

You said what I tried to say so much better. Couldn't agree more!

The ones up by the Morphew house and on Monarch Pass were said to be traffic monitoring only (no pictures).

However, surely there are some in the larger area that do record?

I share your speculation, although I don't think the decor is exactly low key. I think the leather chairs and sofa are super expensive (by my middle class standards). I have friends with fairly nice houses, but nothing near as well decorated as the Morphew home. Of course, I'm probably swayed by the architectural details of the home. At $1.5M, it certainly should look great without anything in it.

I have friends who live in mountainous/upland parts of California, New Mexico and Utah (and family in Colorado). To me, that house is flashy. My best friend designed a house in pretty much the middle of nowhere, but she was at the time a 45 year resident of the area, and definitely designed a different type of home. She didn't want to attract attention to her home, including from neighbors. That's partly because she travels a lot and she and her husband travel separately a lot, so she is home alone. She wanted a certain kind of driveway and views of the only approach road. None of the main living areas are visible from outside the house, except the kitchen window at night. She moves vehicles when her husband isn't around, and makes sure one is always in the driveway. While she doesn't socialize much with her neighbors, they do keep an eye out for each other. Her family members have those neighbors' numbers in their contacts. She has an alert dog. No triple car garage, nothing like that.

Where I live, all creek and riverbeds are currently transit areas for homeless people (and the nexus of those trails/creek areas is vast - people can go as much as 30-40 miles up and down the riverbeds, always finding some source of water, and digging through garbage in nearby housing areas). Among the homeless, there are a certain number of people attempting to evade the law for various reasons, and arrests made on a fairly regular basis (but this is over-crowded California). Still, the same is true in counties like Mariposa and Madera in California, where living more or less "on the land" attracts a lot of people who we can call marginal to society.

But your point - that the Morphews seem very well off - is definitely a strong one. It's not a minor point, because people who do various kinds of stalker-like or home invasion things do select homes based on certain characteristics (lack of dog is one of them). In my suburban neighborhood, most of our houses are single story tract homes, but there were much bigger 2 story homes at the top of the price range - and those homes are in fact targeted more for daytime burglaries. People with more expensive cars in the driveway also seem to be targeted. We have an active security camera that is pointed directly at the only route to our front door (and a fence line camera in the back - both of those blink quite nicely at night).

If it's true that the Morphew house only occasionally had its security system working, it could have been an attractive target. To someone looking in through those windows, it would look quite luxurious, especially if that person was living rough.

(Just riffing off your post to throw another theory out there...)
Per the Zillow sale photos most of that furniture looked like it was sold with the house

I don’t want to criticize hunters. I know a few who are proud of the game they’ve killed and they proudly display them. Fish too. However, in the pictures of the home in CO, it shows what I believe is the master bedroom and bath. It looks like it belongs only to a man. I would think the bedroom would have her touch there and the bath too. That’s my reason for thinking of BM as controlling. Has to be his decisions on how to decorate, what colors to use, etc. maybe it’s just me. But I have seen it before. I just don’t see much of Suzanne there at all. Her pictures look so feminine and friendly. Just a judgment call on my part.

I totally understand where you are coming from. I just live here in Colorado and know some pretty "girly" woman that decorate their entire home in this style... light fixtures, bed comforter, curtains, bath towels, elk toilet paper holder :) and the list goes on and on... it's just a local style people appreciate around here... ok, i better get off my soapbox now....;)

Besides it being a normal style for the area, which I totally get (and there is appeal in that look, imo) there are also women who don't care too much for overly feminine/girly styles. I'm one of them. I don't like the idea that if I went missing people would see photos of my place and think "well her partner must have been controlling because the place doesn't look feminine enough". I just happen to like minimalist, functional, plain stuff!

It’s a beautiful home, like a retreat or a lodge. Just not feminine.
Yes maybe cozy. If you like animals staring at you all day.
I can speak from experience.

I would rather have nice, soft, feminine things to look at while I am home. I like knowing the animals are outside. :D

Not quite done with my soapbox after all... Sorry guys...:rolleyes: Yes, it may not be a style that you like, but SM may have liked it... We can't and don't know that she didn't... We are all different and that makes the world go around and life interesting. As always, MOO...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truecrime-hazeleyes