Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, did not return from bike ride, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
JUST AN OPINION:
I don't know how close to, or over, the line this is, but but in social posts blaming BM, the responses all express sensitivity to the daughters and SM - nothing for BM. I just find that quite telling. The only person not defended is the person who, at this point, was slandered. I mean if this all happened to one of your friend's families, wouldn't you say "how dare you accuse so-and-so?" It's like everyone close to this thing already knows what happened and wasn't surprised.
I respectfully disagree.
IMO, Perhaps the family is a very private family, and gathers the members together, IMO. I find it somewhat reckless the amount of everyday minutia people put out on social media, and I also recognize how the most innocent remarks can be twisted and taken out of context...
LE and the family seem to be restricting publicity, and this suggests, they are working together, not against.
It is extremely frustrating to us here. Ultimately tho, if I were in a similar situation, I would want the case to be built solidly w/o being compromised.
And therein lies the problem. BM MAY have been in Denver, and has all the receipts and video surveillance to prove it, but that’s not an alibi if SM went missing before he left for Denver (if he in fact went to Denver). I’d love to know when SM last spoke to someone or someone other than BM actually saw her. Wouldn’t we all?
Trying to reread earlier threads, “she was active on social media day before she...” did not say what social media...

I respectfully disagree.
IMO, Perhaps the family is a very private family, and gathers the members together, IMO. I find it somewhat reckless the amount of everyday minutia people put out on social media, and I also recognize how the most innocent remarks can be twisted and taken out of context...
LE and the family seem to be restricting publicity, and this suggests, they are working together, not against.
It is extremely frustrating to us here. Ultimately tho, if I were in a similar situation, I would want the case to be built solidly w/o being compromised.

Trying to reread earlier threads, “she was active on social media day before she...” did not say what social media...
If she was active on social media, what did she post? We are allowed to quote from victims SM, right?

Not strange where I live/lived for young people to start branching out on their own, some earlier than others. I left home at 17 and some friends left at 16. Depends on personality and circumstances. It doesn't necessarily mean you're having trouble with yr parents.

"he's not the protective sort" - how are members coming to these types of conclusions when so few details are available?
JMO. MOO.
I never said there was problems with parents ... I said it was “strange.” I left home at almost 17, myself ... so did my daughter but we are more over protective of my granddaughter - probably because we watch so many crime shows, listen to crime podcasts and of course read on Websleuths.
I don’t get that he’s the “protective” sort because he left her alone for the weekend with the cameras not working - or so it seems, and now, she’s missing. We live in deep woods of East Texas and we have security, and gates and my husband checks them faithfully because he likes to fish and I don’t... it’s just my perception, my “speculations” based on my experiences, isn’t that what everyone does? I’m not saying I know anything for a fact, or that I’m right about my perceptions. I’m sure we will find out WHO he is at some point ...

And therein lies the problem. BM MAY have been in Denver, and has all the receipts and video surveillance to prove it, but that’s not an alibi if SM went missing before he left for Denver (if he in fact went to Denver). I’d love to know when SM last spoke to someone or someone other than BM actually saw her. Wouldn’t we all?
Well, Exactly :p

But, why not use a brown paper bag which is a perfectly acceptable alternative to butcher paper? The plastic apparently can cause problems with the outcome of evidence results and that would give a defense lawyer leverage to have results questioned for accuracy a during trial. It seems the worst case scenario is that the results could be thrown out during a trial. Why take that chance?

ETA: In the police training manual I read from, the plastic was stated to be a problem with biological materials such as blood, semen, etc. That's what I was specifically interested in knowing. I didn't read any further than that so I have no idea about using plastic bags for any other types of evidence. The link to the manual is a few pages back on my first comment if anyone is interested.
These are trained evidence technicians, who are going to know what they’re doing. If this was local law enforcement processing the scene for some reason, then I’d be concerned.

They brought in the big guns for this one (CBI and FBI).

bbm
THIS ^^^
Sleuthing and speculation are a good thing and have led to breaks in cases !
I’ve thought about this a lot, I think that what we do on here is beneficial in many ways for us and others. I think a person who might be considering doing something to someone might have their mind changed by the outpouring of support from strangers as well as some of our “tough” speculations ... I certainly don’t do this to criticize anyone. It comforts me to try to help and I hope that it might make someone reconsider doing something to hurt someone. Maybe I’m naive.

I never said there was problems with parents ... I said it was “strange.” I left home at almost 17, myself ... so did my daughter but we are more over protective of my granddaughter - probably because we watch so many crime shows, listen to crime podcasts and of course read on Websleuths.
I don’t get that he’s the “protective” sort because he left her alone for the weekend with the cameras not working - or so it seems, and now, she’s missing. We live in deep woods of East Texas and we have security, and gates and my husband checks them faithfully because he likes to fish and I don’t... it’s just my perception, my “speculations” based on my experiences, isn’t that what everyone does? I’m not saying I know anything for a fact, or that I’m right about my perceptions. I’m sure we will find out WHO he is at some point ...

That's why I repeated the word "strange" VL. Thank you for elaborating why you think he's not the protective type, and I'm glad you have a husband who takes care of you in that way.

We're on the same page. Maybe there are other rooms that have a feminine touch that we haven't seen, who knows. I agree, it does look like a hunting lodge. Although like I said, many homes around here have a similar look, and many women hunt around here, too. I've seen deer heads in bedrooms on the wall behind the bed- um, no thank you, lol!

I am just squeamish about stuff like this. Again, no judgment on anyone's tastes. Whatever floats your boat. That's what makes us individuals.
I don’t want to criticize hunters. I know a few who are proud of the game they’ve killed and they proudly display them. Fish too. However, in the pictures of the home in CO, it shows what I believe is the master bedroom and bath. It looks like it belongs only to a man. I would think the bedroom would have her touch there and the bath too. That’s my reason for thinking of BM as controlling. Has to be his decisions on how to decorate, what colors to use, etc. maybe it’s just me. But I have seen it before. I just don’t see much of Suzanne there at all. Her pictures look so feminine and friendly. Just a judgment call on my part.

Last edited:
I agree, and I don't have an issue with speculation (I've done plenty of it myself). My original point was that I'm surprised by how it can quickly escalate from a quote from one family member that BM "has been in charge for a long time" to really strong opinions about his "control issues". To your point, a lot of assumptions/perceptions have to be present to get there.
Funny that you mention you can more easily accept BM as responsible - I think I lean the opposite way - for my mind it's easier to accept a random sicko out there than the man who was married to her for 20-plus years, raised two kids together and by all appearances is a normally functioning member of society. I hope SM is somehow, someway alive and well - but if not, I hope it's not BM (if for no other reason than how the kids become double victims in that scenario).
I know if he did it, it was quick and to the point. With a crazy sicko stranger, it could last for days and include things my mind does not want to think about ...

I like it, and I’m a woman. It’s cozy to me.
It’s a beautiful home, like a retreat or a lodge. Just not feminine.
Yes maybe cozy. If you like animals staring at you all day.
I can speak from experience.

I would rather have nice, soft, feminine things to look at while I am home. I like knowing the animals are outside. :D

I don’t want to criticize hunters. I know a few who are proud of the game they’ve killed and they proudly display them. Fish too. However, in the pictures of the home in CO, it shows what I believe is the master bedroom and bath. It looks like it belongs only to a man. I would think the bedroom would have her touch there and the bath too. That’s my reason for thinking of BM as controlling. Has to be his decisions on how to decorate, what colors to use, etc. maybe it’s just me. But I have seen it before. I just don’t see much of Suzanne there at all. Her pictures
look so feminine and friendly. Just a judgment call on my part.

Because SM has recovered from cancer maybe she was lacking energy and has not yet got around to putting her touches to the new home? Perhaps just focussing on herself and her hobbies (like cycling) for the time being, with a view to working on the new place in the future?
Maybe even feeling a bit depressed and/or displaced and not quite up to it yet?

No idea. Just throwing it out there.

I like it, and I’m a woman. It’s cozy to me.
It’s a beautiful home, like a retreat or a lodge. Just not feminine.
Yes maybe cozy. If you like animals staring at you all day.
I can speak from experience.

I would rather have nice, soft, feminine things to look at while I am home. I like knowing the animals are outside. :D

I don’t want to criticize hunters. I know a few who are proud of the game they’ve killed and they proudly display them. Fish too. However, in the pictures of the home in CO, it shows what I believe is the master bedroom and bath. It looks like it belongs only to a man. I would think the bedroom would have her touch there and the bath too. That’s my reason for thinking of BM as controlling. Has to be his decisions on how to decorate, what colors to use, etc. maybe it’s just me. But I have seen it before. I just don’t see much of Suzanne there at all. Her pictures look so feminine and friendly. Just a judgment call on my part.

Are you referring to the real estate listing pics or something else?

Kinda new here, been reading for weeks now and getting so frustrated by lack of developments in the case. I recall a case a few years ago in Raleigh where the husband said his wife went out jogging and disappeared...and they found her dead a few days later in a drainage ditch nearby. Nancy Cooper case. They had small kids in that case but it echoed with me. Suzanne looks like someone I would love to be friends with!

Are you referring to the real estate listing pics or something else?
I’m not sure. They were posted here. It showed BM reading a book or something in the living area and the girls with a blanket around them. And then showed the master bedroom and bath. In fact it may have been pictures on an episode of court tv. Are those the ones you are thinking of? Also had a huge deer head (i think it was a deer. It was a large animal) hanging in the living area.

These are trained evidence technicians, who are going to know what they’re doing. If this was local law enforcement processing the scene for some reason, then I’d be concerned.

They brought in the big guns for this one (CBI and FBI).

Yes, I agree. That's why, if plastic is capable of negatively affecting test results on biological materials, they wouldn't use plastic bags... not even for "just until we get it to the evidence locker." I would also think they would be able to obtain a specimen without contaminating it with COVID19 or any other upper respiratory infection.

If the manual I read is incorrect... all bets are off.

Last edited:
I agree, and I don't have an issue with speculation (I've done plenty of it myself). My original point was that I'm surprised by how it can quickly escalate from a quote from one family member that BM "has been in charge for a long time" to really strong opinions about his "control issues". To your point, a lot of assumptions/perceptions have to be present to get there.
Funny that you mention you can more easily accept BM as responsible - I think I lean the opposite way - for my mind it's easier to accept a random sicko out there than the man who was married to her for 20-plus years, raised two kids together and by all appearances is a normally functioning member of society. I hope SM is somehow, someway alive and well - but if not, I hope it's not BM (if for no other reason than how the kids become double victims in that scenario).
I know if BM did it, it was quick and to the point. With a crazy sicko stranger, it could last for days and include things my mind does not want to think about ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname