Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #69

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people knew something around the 8th of March. We were already getting alerts that this might change into a big event at that time.

It is difficult to predict how the outbreak will evolve in Australia and the situation may change rapidly. When significant community transmission is occurring, social distancing measures such as cancellation of public gatherings will be considered.
The AHPPC is closely monitoring the situation and further advice regarding public events will be provided when necessary.
Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) coronavirus (COVID-19) statement on 8 March 2020

I think a lot of people were alerted to coronavirus when Tom Hanks and his wife tested positive on March 11.

On March 12 Utah Jazz's Donovan Mitchell tested positive for the virus. That was also in the news. Wasn’t he the player who touched all the microphones?

Timeline of the COVID-19 pandemic in March 2020 - Wikipedia

Ireland is handling this really well, IMO. As is Scotland. I’m following Nicola Sturgeon’s advice, rather than that of the UK PM.
Yeah sturgeons handing it great if you turn a blind eye to the care home crisis there, The Nike cover up and the deliberate and blatant attempts to undermine the U.K. government at every opportunity. She claimed not to know what “stay alert” meant when Boris said it, but the following week used the slogan “stay vigilant”... alrighty then.

For such a small, sparsely populated country like Scotland, with no major airport hub, the death rate is shockingly high too. But yeah sturgeons handled it incredible. Props to her.........

I was already stocked up and in lockdown by then. If we here were ready by then...we had same access to the information they did. Probably even less.

Yes, we already had some cases back in Jan/Feb. A man returning from Wuhan in January brought the virus in. And for a long time (until now) we have only had cases from incoming travellers returning home .. and perhaps giving it to their families (eg a person from Europe who attended a wedding here, and spread the virus a little, but it was contained).

After that, we closed our international borders.

As of 8th March 2020, the AHPPC advises that the risk to the general Australian population from COVID-19 is low, with the majority of confirmed COVID-19 cases in Australia in returned travellers.
Australian Health Protection Principal Committee (AHPPC) coronavirus (COVID-19) statement on 8 March 2020

"The first randomized clinical trial testing hydroxychloroquine as an early treatment for mild covid-19 found the drug was no better than a placebo in patients who were not hospitalized."
Hydroxychloroquine studies show drug is not effective for early treatment of mild covid-19

“The drug is also an element in worsening tensions between the White House and Anthony S. Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. When Trump and Navarro repeatedly touted hydroxychloroquine as a potential treatment for coronavirus, Fauci pushed back internally and at task force briefings.”

I think everyone will sue somebody or be sued by somebody when this is all over.

‘I’ve been discriminated against’: San Diego woman who refused to wear mask at Starbucks seeks half of $100,000 donated to barista | KTLA

A San Diego woman who took to social media to criticize a Starbucks barista for refusing to serve her because she didn’t have on a mask now wants half of the $100,000 donations that were sent to the young man — and she’s threatening to sue.

Amber Gilles said she posted a photo of barista Lenin Gutierrez after he asked her to wear a mask at Starbucks.

The caption reads,”Meet Lenen from Starbucks who refused to serve me cause I’m not wearing a mask. Next time I will wait for cops and bring a medical exemption.”

That post exploded online, and a ******** to raise tip money for Gutierrez surpassed $100,000.

Gilles claims she has medical problems preventing her from wearing a mask and that she was discriminated against, according to San Diego television station KGTV. She also said she thinks masks are not effective.
Gilles wants half of the money donated, which was given to Gutierrez in cash last week, and is threatening to sue.

She says the lawyers she’s spoken to about taking her case are expensive and she can’t afford one yet — so she started her own ******** to raise legal fees.
My gosh, what a bunch of wretched individuals we are. MOO

Can California contain coronavirus surge? Next two weeks will be critical

““It’s kind of in everybody’s hands right now,” said Barbara Ferrer, director of public health for L.A. County. “We don’t have a lot of time, though. At some point, you turn that corner where you’re actually expecting hospitals to provide way more care than is possible.”“

[...]

““Birthday parties, the visits with grandparents ... the barbecues: they are contributing to a delay or rollback in reopening of businesses,” said Dr. Grant Colfax, San Francisco’s public health director.“

What's the rationale here? Drinking without food encourages people to just stay longer and socialize so it should be discouraged?

According to Cuomo:

The problem with both walk-up bar service and allowing drinking without food is that customers at many businesses have not been isolated at separate tables. They also haven’t been keeping far enough apart from each other.

Mandating that food be served with alcohol and banning walk-up service are both meant to help address those issues.

Cuomo: No more alcohol without food at NY bars, restaurants

In addition to the new “three strikes” rule, the state will begin publicizing the names of all establishments facing disciplinary action for violating reopening rules.

Last edited:
According to Cuomo:

The problem with both walk-up bar service and allowing drinking without food is that customers at many businesses have not been isolated at separate tables. They also haven’t been keeping far enough apart from each other.

Mandating that food be served with alcohol and banning walk-up service are both meant to help address those issues.

In addition to the new “three strikes” rule, the state will begin publicizing the names of all establishments facing disciplinary action for violating reopening rules.

I must be a little slow this evening (and I'm not drinking tonight). Can't they just ban walk-up service and insist on proper isolation without requiring the purchase of food?

Coronavirus updates: 356,000 Californians infected; public schools close for fall

“The coronavirus has infected more than 356,000 Californians, according to state public health data released Thursday. About 8,500 more cases were reported Wednesday.

The virus has infected roughly 1 in 110 Californians, and killed 7,345, as of Thursday.

Over the last week as of Wednesday, about 7.2 percent of all coronavirus tests came back positive. That rolling average is close to the state’s self-imposed benchmark of keeping the positivity rate at 8 percent or less before reopening the economy.”

I thought WHO recommends 5%??

—-
Eta:
“Jul 5, 2020 · The World Health Organization's recommended positivity rate for reopening is 5% or below over a period of 14 days, according to John Hopkins ...”

source

Mississippi Rep. Manly Barton in ICU with COVID-19, fellow lawmaker says

JIMMIE E. GATES | MISSISSIPPI CLARION LEDGER | 5 hours ago
icon-sms_24.svg
icon-mail_24.svg

fb80fcec-f7f3-4e35-b817-4c6c93f72496-Screen_Shot_2020-03-18_at_5.52.22_PM.png

UMMC doctors discuss the severity of the situation regarding the coronavirus as they prepare for a "tidal wave" of COVID-19 patients.
BARBARA GAUNTT, CLARION-LEDGER

State Rep. Manly Barton of Moss Point is in intensive care in a hospital, according to a legislative colleague.

"My friend and fellow Legislator Manly Barton is in ICU with COVID. Please help me pray for him. He is the kindest man and I enjoy working with him so much," state Rep. Becky Currie, R-Brookhaven, said in a Facebook post.

Barton, 71, a former Jackson County supervisor, has been in the legislature since 2012.

State Health Officer Dr. Thomas Dobbs said Tuesday that at least 30 lawmakers and 11 other people who work in the state Capitol have tested positive for COVID-19. He said two were in ICU, but didn't identify those hospitalized.

COVID: Rep. Manly Barton in Mississippi ICU, colleague says

I must be a little slow this evening (and I'm not drinking tonight). Can't they just ban walk-up service and insist on proper isolation without requiring the purchase of food?

IMO It might have to do with slowing down the rate of intoxication so people stay mindful of distancing. I've heard (only on SM) that places will just charge $1.00 for a bowl of popcorn or something.

'Like we intentionally poured fuel on a fire': 1-on-1 with Mayor Turner on what happens next in COVID-19 fight

“Turner said the virus feeds on groups of people and he's worried about the space in Houston hospitals, saying he doesn't want to see them overwhelmed, whether it be with COVID-19 patients or people with other ailments. He said even with another lockdown, the city wouldn't see the results of the lockdown until weeks later due to lag time in case reporting. He said the time to act is now.

"Whatever steps you put in place today ... for example, if you start wearing a mask or even if you go to a stay-home order (now), you won't see the impact, the positive impacts, of that action for another three to four weeks because you have that lag time," Turner said. "The sooner you move in a proactive way to stop this virus, the better it is for everyone."“

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard