Found Deceased CA - Lucas Horan, 39, Emeryville Marina, 24 Dec 2020

Wouldn't the neighbor just come ashore and then check out the rock section and the area surrounding it? Even from a distance, just to make sure. I dont get it all.

He just assumed he made it ashore. Sounds awfully lackluster to me. Even with lowtide a rock section can be hazardous.

He was going to "see the christmas lights on the boats", any idea where that would be? I've seen photos of boats all lit up by the San fran bridge (seems to be a yearly thing), unsure if that's what they meant.
Maybe let's try to find the place the boat would have gone to and trace a sort of example path? I assume the boats would have been further away than the distance he swam but maybe I'm wrong.

There was one GIANT boat lit up before Christmas that I saw from the freeway (80). I couldn’t tell exactly where it was, but based on where I was on 80 when I spotted it, it definitely was not anchored at the Emeryville marina. If I had to guess, I’d guess that it was off Treasure Island / Yerba Buena. No way he could have swum there, but they definitely could have cruised nearer in a boat.

Speaking of motives, about the only thing I can come up with is really pretty far-fetched. I found a lottery was held for liveaboard slips at the nearby Berkeley Marina earlier in 2020. It's less clear how available they are at Emeryville, as there's more than one marina. Slips seem available there for sale or for rent, but liveaboard slips are more limited. Is there a wait list? This would be a seriously twisted way to open up a liveaboard boat slip if someone desired one. Can anyone familiar with these marinas comment?

A lot of work was put into the Finding Lucas site, never seen one like that. Interesting to say the least.

But something I'm confused about-the Onesie search says it's on March 31, am I reading it wrong?

And how do you get someone's picture on a milk carton that quick? <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't the neighbor just come ashore and then check out the rock section and the area surrounding it? Even from a distance, just to make sure. I dont get it all.

He just assumed he made it ashore. Sounds awfully lackluster to me. Even with lowtide a rock section can be hazardous.

I figure alcohol was involved. Neighbor probably preferred docking his boat on his own, was focused on that (from what I gather, neighbor was next boat over). By then, he thought Lucas was back in his own boat, sleeping.

A lot of work was put into the Finding Lucas site, never seen one like that. Interesting to say the least.

But something I'm confused about-the Onesie search says it's on March 31, am I reading it wrong?

And how do you get someone's picture on a milk carton that quick? And why is the gf in the pic?

I am mystified by this too. I think it has to be a photoshop. And yes - the date is really really weird. It's more like a fundraiser/memorial running event.

---
Note: Upthread, someone says there are two Costco's near Solano Drives on the way to Sacramento - one is right in Berkeley, so much closer. Lucas of course ran 50 miles plus at the drop of a hat, so depending on where they were after they departed the Costco area, it was probably (much) less than 38 miles. However, the girlfriend is very vague about exactly where she dropped him - but we do know that he'd already had that event occur earlier in the day, could not have been pleasant.

She accuses him of "negativity" resulting in being put out of the car. Still SMH, hard.

And how do you get someone's picture on a milk carton that quick? And why is the gf in the pic?
I can see the edges of the photo-I think someone just cut it out and pasted it to the carton

MOD NOTE :

This thread is closed temporarily for review. There are a number of posts that are straying into a violation of Websleuths’ family- and friend-friendly policy.
Check back later, though it may not reopen until the morning.

CocoChanel

Here is the way Websleuths asks us to handle discussion of people who are related to a missing person or crime victim, and who have been quoted in MSM or on what appears to be an official missing person site for the MP:

-We MAY discuss what they said, and we may give an opinion that it seems unusual or different that what we think.
- We MAY NOT state flat out that it is ludricrous/crazy/lying, or any of countless other negative terms that attack a person who HAS NOT been named a POI or suspect in this case.
- We MAY NOT analyze the content as indicative of a physical/emotional/mental condition this person might be experiencing. That is OFF LIMITS unless there is MSM substantiation of such OR the person is named as a POI/suspect.
-Again, we may discuss what was said, but not the person who said it.

It is a fine line we walk here, and we hold ourselves to a higher standard. Those that prefer to indulge in the things that are off limits on the public thread, may only do so in PMs OR dozens of other discussion boards out there where anything goes. Websleuths is intentionally fact-based, and we all agreed to abide by WS admittedly strict guidelines here when we joined. Please report posts that go against those rules, instead of responding to them which risks a runaway train of TOS violations that causes a thread closure.

Thread is reopened. Please post accordingly.

THANK YOU!
CocoChanel

Why has the MSM said NOTHING? Has it been so defunded that nobody has even done a casual look at this because there’s a long form story here that would go viral ... and it’s not like it would be difficult to get an interview with KKF

Hello folks. First time poster on this forum and I really appreciate all of the thinking you have put into this case. I know everyone involved in this case quite well, with the exception of the neighbor who owned the boat Lucas was allegedly on. I am local in the area and very involved in the trail running scene as well. I am hoping I can share some information that I know that may help with your thinking. I have read the posting guidelines above and will try my best to adhere to those, please feel free to correct me if I stray.

I would like to clarify some of the things stated in the thread so far:
"Solano" where Lucas was allegedly dropped off is pretty close to Berkeley and the Marina. In fact I know someone he texted after this drop-off, and he discussed a bit of the fight that he and KKF were having. I could get a timestamp on that text if it his helpful. Lucas could have easily walked or ran back to his boat from here, he obviously loved to go on long walks around the area, especially as a way to clear his head.

I believe they were going to purchase a meteor through a connection that Lucas had found in the science world. I'm not sure why the website says "build" a meteor. KKF is very interested in science and this was an appropriate and cool gift idea for her IMO. This part of the story is actually not sketchy to me.

It was my understanding that Lucas left his phone and GPS watch on his boat when he went out on his neighbor's boat. To me that is not that too strange, he is somewhat absent minded and doesn't always have these things with him. Half of his runs were never logged (including long, significant efforts) because he "forgot his watch", or it was dead, or his phone was dead. He was not great with these kind of details.

I have not talked to LE directly but from my understanding they definitely questioned the neighbor with the boat extensively. LE did a full day search of the water, including dive team and SONAR scan, the Sunday after Christmas. AFAIK that's the only search they did. There was also a coordinated coastal search where dozens of people covered 13 miles of coastline quite extensively, at a negative low tide, on the Monday after Christmas I believe. It is my understanding that this is a pretty low priority case for Emeryville LE right now. I don't exactly know why.

The most unusual part of the story to me is the fact that he allegedly jumped in the water in jeans and a fleece. However, you have to understand that we was always a very spontaneous person. Zero hesitation is a better way to describe it. If you know any successful climbers or mountaineers you know that this is a necessary trait to have - if you hesitate in extreme sports like this it is harder to succeed. I can imagine him getting a crazy idea to swim to shore (he liked cold water swims but was not a regular bay swimmer or anything), not hesitating, and jumping in. Yes everyone is correct the water is very cold and it would not take long to go hypothermic in the bay right now without proper clothes on. That being said I know many people that swim sans wetsuit, even now. But they are experienced open water swimmers.

From what I understand there is no evidence that he went back inside his boat. To the running community the crazy part is that he did not take his running vest. He could make it hundreds of miles in jeans and running shoes, even with little or no food. But to not have his running vest is a red flag in these circles. That's considered essential gear and even in a befuddled state I can't imagine him leaving that if he were going out for a long adventure. Also he has "dropped off the grid" on long adventures before, but there have always been 1-2 people that have known where he is that he keeps in touch with.

In my mind I feel like he made a bad decision, jumped in the water, maybe made it to shore only to succumb to hypothermia or even tried to go back into the water afterwards. 99% of me thinks this is the case. 1% of me thinks something else happened, but especially knowing his personality, that 1% is hard to let go of. I don't understand enough about body recovery in the water to know why they have not found his body yet. The marina is about as far into the bay as you can get, across the entire bay from the Golden Gate and getting swept out into the ocean. I don't know how common it is for bodies to turn up and get found when people are not actively looking for them?

Again, thanks for all of the thoughts here, we miss our friend dearly and there's nothing I would like more than to have him run down from the hills and come home. I am happy to try to help if it is appropriate on this forum.

I don’t know if xyz is a new person, or an existing person with a new account...
It bothers me that LH is a scientist, and while people keep saying he is spontaneous and all, his career is all about science and paying attention. There is literally nothing else going on in the press, or from co-workers about his personality to confirm he would take such chances. The website bothers me. Every time I see it it has changed, and I have never seen a missing person’s page with “memories” on it... that sound like the past, like it is all over. That is weird.

I don’t know if xyz is a new person, or an existing person with a new account...
It bothers me that LH is a scientist, and while people keep saying he is spontaneous and all, his career is all about science and paying attention. There is literally nothing else going on in the press, or from co-workers about his personality to confirm he would take such chances. The website bothers me. Every time I see it it has changed, and I have never seen a missing person’s page with “memories” on it... that sound like the past, like it is all over. That is weird.

I submitted information to be verified, thank you for that. I am a new poster here.

I would ask you to consider that there are many dimensions to science, and some of them, especially in biotechnology, require very creative and out of the box thinking. For example Kary Mullis, the biochemist that visualized and developed the PCR technique, developed this while tripping on LSD and driving on Hwy 1 for a surf trip. Not all lab and research scientists are cut from the same mold.

As for memories, many of us are in a very strange state of limbo right now with our friend missing almost two weeks. For some of us it is healing to try to move on and assume that LH has passed. For others it is healing to continue a search and assume that he must still be alive. I have never had an individual close to me go missing and I can only say that it really brings forth a wide range of emotions and responses.

I want to hear from his family (and by family... I mean his mother, father, sister, cousin, nephew, or what have you). I want to hear from the neighbor. The facts in this case are not only bizarre -- they are extremely ambiguous. Ambiguity has no place in a missing persons case. I'm very concerned about Lucas.

What is a running vest and why is it alarming that he didn't take it?

Think of it as a very small, lightweight backpack that you can run in. Usually you keep a couple of bottles of water on the front, food, extra layers, keys, phone etc. in the back. Most runners that head out with the intention of being out for more than a few hours will bring one. It's true he could have made it very far without bringing anything from home, but it's really surprising that he didn't take his vest to put things in along the way (snacks, water, an extra layer, etc.) It would be like a baseball player that showed up to a baseball game without a glove.

Most runners have been asking the exact same question - did he have his vest?

Think of it as a very small, lightweight backpack that you can run in. Usually you keep a couple of bottles of water on the front, food, extra layers, keys, phone etc. in the back. Most runners that head out with the intention of being out for more than a few hours will bring one. It's true he could have made it very far without bringing anything from home, but it's really surprising that he didn't take his vest to put things in along the way (snacks, water, an extra layer, etc.) It would be like a baseball player that showed up to a baseball game without a glove.

Most runners have been asking the exact same question - did he have his vest?
Hi. So you are aware of who it is and a local. Firstly I'm sorry he has gone missing. Have you spoken to him recently? What was his general well being like? Happy? Sad? Confused?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993
Back