TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Valero is on the same block as the oil change place and from the intersection, you can clearly see the lights from the Valero. He may have gone to Valero, but who knows. Also, the intersection you mention is the way I go home pretty much every day. It may not appear so on the map, but it's more "going straight" than making a turn. A left turn would put you on a different street. For you app computer gurus, how does Snapchat handle location services? Does it, or can you, turn off location services in the app and the phone wouldn't ping? I don't think there is any question that he didn't drive around Luling because I would think they would have been able to track that, so the question is did he keep going to somewhere down SFR but before the accident scene, meet someone or get out to smoke what is potentially laced pot, and then continued on down SFR to the accident? If he was looking to get off the beaten path to smoke, he could have stopped pretty early on down SFR as opposed to driving way out to where the accident was. Also, certain cell providers don't get good service out here so I wonder if it's possible that he didn't have service and got confused.
Are there any lights at the cemetery?

I'm thinking about the 60+ minute window of time investigators are trying to account for and wondered if he pulled into the cemetery and when he was ready to leave, instead of heading back towards town or H-183, he went the opposite direction where he eventually crashed.

JL's driven this route home before -- most recently at Thanksgiving. I wonder if he'd stopped in the cemetery before Dec 14 -- thinking it was a safe place for him to light up.

It would be interesting to see the cell logs off the closest tower to the accident site during the 67 minute window to see if any other interesting calls were made.

i am still hung up on two points. The first is that the dogs lost his scent rather abruptly a short distance down the road and the second is that both sides of that road have intact barbed wire fencing except for intersections and the abandoned houses. That fencing would have kept him on the road going in either direction. How come the oil worker didn't see him on the road if he saw the car off the road?

It would be interesting to see the cell logs off the closest tower to the accident site during the 67-minute window to see if any other interesting calls were made.
I believe that's the point of putting the information out to the public. There was no activity on his cell or data after he passed the intersection and switched to Snapchat. It seems to me that they received sufficient information from the last person Jason Snapchatted with and what time that chat ended and believe there's a 60+ minute open window. I don't know that LE did not receive a tower dump but Sunday at midnight may not have been very active. MOO

i am still hung up on two points. The first is that the dogs lost his scent rather abruptly a short distance down the road and the second is that both sides of that road have intact barbed wire fencing except for intersections and the abandoned houses. That fencing would have kept him on the road going in either direction. How come the oil worker didn't see him on the road if he saw the car off the road?
Is it possible they lost his scent because he stripped off his clothing? I don't know much about search dogs. I'm leaning towards the theory that his weed was laced with something and he had some type of bad reaction and stumbled into the brush somewhere. I saw NBC and Dateline have picked up the story.

I thought that when LE said all digital stops, they meant all activity on his cell phone. Am I wrong?

I understood it to be that way as well.

From the latest article:
Investigators say Jason’s phone, which was found between the driver’s seat and center console, was on and had a signal, so they are still trying to figure out why it appears unused since the intersection at Magnolia Avenue.

So once he opened Snapchat up at the intersection of Magnolia, his phone was unused at that point. Moo

Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry

So does this mean Jason still had his shoes on?

Jason’s father arrived at the scene just a few hours later to find some of his son’s clothes, including a shirt, shorts, underwear, and a wristwatch, scattered on the roadway about 900 feet from the crash scene.

I believe in the LE news release last week, it was stated his father also found his slide sandals. IMO

Caldwell County Sheriff's Office

The Valero is on the same block as the oil change place and from the intersection, you can clearly see the lights from the Valero. He may have gone to Valero, but who knows. Also, the intersection you mention is the way I go home pretty much every day. It may not appear so on the map, but it's more "going straight" than making a turn. A left turn would put you on a different street. For you app computer gurus, how does Snapchat handle location services? Does it, or can you, turn off location services in the app and the phone wouldn't ping? I don't think there is any question that he didn't drive around Luling because I would think they would have been able to track that, so the question is did he keep going to somewhere down SFR but before the accident scene, meet someone or get out to smoke what is potentially laced pot, and then continued on down SFR to the accident? If he was looking to get off the beaten path to smoke, he could have stopped pretty early on down SFR as opposed to driving way out to where the accident was. Also, certain cell providers don't get good service out here so I wonder if it's possible that he didn't have service and got confused.
I have Snapchat and have an iPhone. I can turn off location service for my Snapchat app through the settings on my iPhone. I do not see anyone doing this unless they definitely did not want someone finding their location and in that event they would turn off location for their iPhone. Snapchat uses your location to determine your filters, which is the fun of Snapchat. Now you can turn off your Snapchat map so none of your Snapchat friends can see where you are but that is just for Snapchat and your friends. I do not know too many folks that use that feature but I am old(er) and so are most of my friends. Maybe the younger folks use this. MOO

Cell phone data reveals timeline in mysterious disappearance of Texas State student Jason Landry

So does this mean Jason still had his shoes on?

Jason’s father arrived at the scene just a few hours later to find some of his son’s clothes, including a shirt, shorts, underwear, and a wristwatch, scattered on the roadway about 900 feet from the crash scene.
No. Shoes were found with clothes according to most recent press release
ETA to add full stop, cos I distorted the meaning without it. I apologise.

Last edited:
Are there any lights at the cemetery?

I'm thinking about the 60+ minute window of time investigators are trying to account for and wondered if he pulled into the cemetery and when he was ready to leave, instead of heading back towards town or H-183, he went the opposite direction where he eventually crashed.

JL's driven this route home before -- most recently at Thanksgiving. I wonder if he'd stopped in the cemetery before Dec 14 -- thinking it was a safe place for him to light up.
Interesting that you asked that question...the cemetery is fairly dark at night, but most of the graves have glowing lights and decorations all over them. First time I drove by there at night it was a little spooky because you don't expect to see all those little glowing lights, but the lights don't really light up the cemetery that much. I've driven by there and seen a car or 2 in there occasionally...he may very well have stopped there.

No shoes were found with clothes according to most recent press release
That's something that I found very interesting as I mentioned in a prior post. If no shoes, walking on gravel road would be very painful and probably not much better in the grass (trash, sticker burrs, etc.). If he still had his shoes on, it changes how far I think he would have gone.

That's something that I found very interesting as I mentioned in a prior post. If no shoes, walking on gravel road would be very painful and probably not much better in the grass (trash, sticker burrs, etc.). If he still had his shoes on, it changes how far I think he would have gone.
sorry, I was replying directly to her comment- meaning his shoes were actually found.. with his clothes.
Yeah, re going on grass because of hard surface.. I still think that's worthy of exploration... we shoul look at the grass.
That is of course depending upon whether he was experiencing sensation in both feet at the time.
We don't know he was not.
I wouldn't mind looking at the grassy areas.

I'll try to answer that. The barbed wire fences are not that hard to get through or cross, so those wouldn't necessarily keep him in the roadway. I cross fences all the time when I'm hunting, etc. (with permission from the landowner). Also, there are numerous entrances off of SFR that go into oil fields. He may have turned off on one of those and wandered way out in the middle of a pasture somewhere, in which case the person driving by wouldn't have seen him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member