SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
No one outside of local circles and family know how PM behaved when he wasn't drinking. IMO, PM was a binge drinker, ready to roll when there was a party and had no "off" switch. There are 1000s of PM clones around the country, young folks who drink to excess and do stupid things. Go to any college and you will find them. I have known a few in my time with that same invincible feeling that they could do no wrong and some with influential parents like PM. They seemed to get into trouble when they had too much booze. Most of them outgrew the binge drinking phase and are responsible adults today.
You bring up some good points @Sustained and I always appreciate the points and counterpoints that you bring to the discussion.

I don't know how well traveled PM was, but the man who eulogized him at the memorial, specifically mentioned he was known for taking his clothes off and leaving them at houses around the state. IMO PM had been drinking alcoholically for a long time. The blackouts, the Timmy persona that emerged when he drank, taking off his clothes and leaving them behind, belittling and spitting on his girlfriend, getting into trouble while intoxicated. IMO there is a lot to unpack there. The adults in his life did him a tremendous disservice by not intervening and getting him professional help. For some people excessive and binge drinking is just a passing phase and for other people it is a lot more permanent.

I came into this case thinking what an entitled brat that kid was, but the more I read the sadder I felt for him. There was not one thing in his obituary about any accomplishments in his life; no charitable endeavors, no membership in any organizations, no organized sports or clubs at school, employment, nothing about what he was studying in college or what the future held for him.

JMO

No one outside of local circles and family know how PM behaved when he wasn't drinking. IMO, PM was a binge drinker, ready to roll when there was a party and had no "off" switch. There are 1000s of PM clones around the country, young folks who drink to excess and do stupid things. Go to any college and you will find them. I have known a few in my time with that same invincible feeling that they could do no wrong and some with influential parents like PM. They seemed to get into trouble when they had too much booze. Most of them outgrew the binge drinking phase and are responsible adults today.
The abuse of his girlfriend is what upsets me.Spitting on her and abusing her is not the norm even when drunk of most young men.

You bring up some good points @Sustained and I always appreciate the points and counterpoints that you bring to the discussion.

I don't know how well traveled PM was, but the man who eulogized him at the memorial, specifically mentioned he was known for taking his clothes off and leaving them at houses around the state. IMO PM had been drinking alcoholically for a long time. The blackouts, the Timmy persona that emerged when he drank, taking off his clothes and leaving them behind, belittling and spitting on his girlfriend, getting into trouble while intoxicated. IMO there is a lot to unpack there. The adults in his life did him a tremendous disservice by not intervening and getting him professional help. For some people excessive and binge drinking is just a passing phase and for other people it is a lot more permanent.

I came into this case thinking what an entitled brat that kid was, but the more I read the sadder I felt for him. There was not one thing in his obituary about any accomplishments in his life; no charitable endeavors, no membership in any organizations, no organized sports or clubs at school, employment, nothing about what he was studying in college or what the future held for him.

JMO

Thank you and likewise ...

One point to add is that PM might have thought in his mind that BM was the "favorite" son even though AM/MM made every attempt to treat them both the same. Quite possibly, PM was not as bright as BM academically and everyone knew it. PM might have not felt he received enough attention at home, so drinking and acting out was his way of feeling wanted.

You are definitely correct that he needed help with his alcohol issues, but some drunks, even binge drunks, do a great job of hiding it from those who see them the most. I did read he completed an alcohol diversion program but that was ordered by the court. But the whole crew had been partying at Moselle for quite some time.

I'm surprised that MD stayed with him if the past incidents of physical abuse are true and she must have been hiding it from her parents. If she was my daughter, I would have had a long chat with AM about PM, Murdaugh reputation or not.

I get the feeling that AM/MM were out and about quite a bit supporting USC, the Democratic party, and possible a boatload of local events. No doubt AM traveled a fair amount for his job and was not around with the boys. When the boys got older, AM/MM might have headed for Edisto and left them to fend for themselves. With all that time away, PM had plenty of unsupervised time to act up, use Dad's toys, and party. As for accomplishments, they may indeed have been sparse. Sad to say the least.

Thank you and likewise ...

One point to add is that PM might have thought in his mind that BM was the "favorite" son even though AM/MM made every attempt to treat them both the same. Quite possibly, PM was not as bright as BM academically and everyone knew it. PM might have not felt he received enough attention at home, so drinking and acting out was his way of feeling wanted.

You are definitely correct that he needed help with his alcohol issues, but some drunks, even binge drunks, do a great job of hiding it from those who see them the most. I did read he completed an alcohol diversion program but that was ordered by the court. But the whole crew had been partying at Moselle for quite some time.

I'm surprised that MD stayed with him if the past incidents of physical abuse are true and she must have been hiding it from her parents. If she was my daughter, I would have had a long chat with AM about PM, Murdaugh reputation or not.

I get the feeling that AM/MM were out and about quite a bit supporting USC, the Democratic party, and possible a boatload of local events. No doubt AM traveled a fair amount for his job and was not around with the boys. When the boys got older, AM/MM might have headed for Edisto and left them to fend for themselves. With all that time away, PM had plenty of unsupervised time to act up, use Dad's toys, and party. As for accomplishments, they may indeed have been sparse. Sad to say the least.

Well said @Sustained.

JMO

I have torn feelings here. Although I don’t find much at all to like about PMs past behaviors, I have to remember that none of it qualifies for a death sentence like this. I actually have torn feelings with alot about this case.

I might be. I cant remember the name of the character.

I just remember the various scenes including the family "advisor" visiting a severely beaten girl in the hospital and noting that she was an innocent (last straw). Then, the tearful Godfather giving permission for the uhmm....."removal".
Poor ol Fredo ended up in a Neveda lake, shot dead with a rifle by a man hired by his brother.

I would like to know more about the dynamics within the immediate family.

Reading PM's obit and listening to the eulogy, IMO there was a concerted, dare I say calculated effort to depict him as the sweetest, most fun loving guy one could ever meet.

Talking about MM's pronunciation of the word "picture", was that a "Bless her heart" moment?

Both promptly cremated and a large number of people invited to the property that contains the crime scene shortly thereafter, things that make you go hmmm IMO.
Where were you able to listen to the eulogies?

It seems someone wants a SC law changed that is, imo, relevant to this case.

note the date of the summit meeting, June 22.

SC business groups prep push for legal change that could cut their lawsuit costs

excerpts:

“In 2017, the S.C. Supreme Court ruled that a strict interpretation of the 2005 law meant only defendants specifically named in lawsuits could be included among those who would need to pay damages, so the apportionment of fault could not include people who had already settled with the plaintiff or who were never named as defendants.

Massey’s bill would alter that language to let juries consider all the people or entities who might have contributed to the injury when deciding what portion of the damages they each need to pay.”
…….
“Representatives from an array of top business groups convened a “Tort Reform Summit” in Columbia on June 22 to strategize their efforts. A reporter was barred from attending the private event, as was state Sen. Dick Harpootlian, D-Columbia, who opposes Massey’s bill and was told the meeting was invitation-only.
But according to an agenda obtained by The Post and Courier, one of the speakers at that meeting was Greg Parker, the founder and CEO of Parker’s Kitchen. And the summit was held at the office of Parker’s lobbyist.”

just interesting, moo

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/l...KJg2y5Jny7V9GAQgBFgDVJIpjEYFy7HnfRHCQKYrRhJyc

"The S.C. Attorney General’s Office on Friday officially dropped all charges against Paul Murdaugh related to the boat crash that killed 19-year-old Mallory Beach in 2019.

A Beaufort County grand jury directly indicted Murdaugh April 18, 2019 on three charges: one count of boating under the influence causing death and two counts of boating under the influence causing great bodily injury. He pleaded not guilty in May 2019.

On June 7, Murdaugh was found shot to death along with this mother on the family’s sprawling property in Colleton County. He never faced trial."

<snip>

"Kittle, called last week, was adamant that the AG’s Office planned to prosecute only Murdaugh for the boat crash.

“We were ready to go to trial naming him as the driver,” he said."

<snip>

"While out on bond, Murdaugh had two brushes with law enforcement in Charleston County — a May 2020 traffic ticket for driving more than 15 mph over the speed limit, and a minor boating violation in March 2021, according to The Island Packet."

Last edited:
Wouldn’t the charges getting dropped be pretty much a standard procedure in a case where the defendant dies. It seems odd that the state would make a big deal of announcing dropped charges.

It wasn't the full service, it was some clips of the service before it was rained out. I will see if I can find it and link it.
Ok, here is a link to the article that contains the quote, I originally saw a video clip of Mr. Crosby delivering that part of the eulogy that now I can't find.

Funeral for Paul and Maggie Murdaugh attended by hundreds | Hilton Head Island Packet

Here is the quote from the eulogy that I was referring to in my original post:

Crosby, a lawyer at the family law firm, described Paul as an outgoing —albeit messy — person who left clothes lying around at “houses across the state.”

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/l...KJg2y5Jny7V9GAQgBFgDVJIpjEYFy7HnfRHCQKYrRhJyc

"While out on bond, Murdaugh had two brushes with law enforcement in Charleston County — a May 2020 traffic ticket for driving more than 15 mph over the speed limit, and a minor boating violation in March 2021, according to The Island Packet."

RSBM (Respectfully snipped by me). IMO that's just the stuff he got caught for!

Thank you @swedeheart for always keeping us up to date on new media on this thread and others. See you (virtually) in Salida on Monday!

I'm surprised this has not been solved yet. This is a small area, it's not a city of 2 million! If it was a couple yahoos roaming the woods, we'll probaby never know who did this. If its's revenge I think we will know. For sure it could not have been hitmen with two different guns and guns of this type.

Excellent Cryptic!!

I 'd like to make another addition, however. (This is going to sound harsh).

What about the heirs of the family name and the family business? Maybe on his death bed, the patriarch told a family member to eliminate the weak links of the family. Namely PM and MM.

Thinking as maybe as an elder magdaugh might think: (this is my opinion only and my flair for the dramatic)....this boy is never going to amount to anything. He's only brought pain and misery to the family. He shouldn't be in the gene pool. He's never going to carry on the proud tradition we've spent hundreds of years building.....

JMO
You aren't alone with this line of thinking. I've also thought that PM had scandalized the family name and was a huge embarrassment and liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa