Australia Australia - Marion Barter - Missing After Trip to UK - June 1997 #22

Summary of Island Secrets, Chapter Ten

'Remembering'

A man suddenly remembers something - a woman he used to bump into, Teresa, when they were at college. He ponders why he's suddenly thought of her, as she was totally 'forgettable', average looking with brown curly hair, and they hadn't been in a relationship.

He goes about his day and deals with his publishing agent, Liz, who he's had an intense friendship with for 20 years and she publishes his travel writing, currently commissioning a book on Mongolia. People love his books because he's so insightful and observant. He lives simply as he doesn't value flash cars etc and travels to Bali when he can, riding around in a beat up jeep.

He's got writer's block and health problems it seems. He wonders if he's distracted about something and reflects what it could be. His sons are both grown up and responsible - both in investment finance. Recalls his ex-wife Gina, a feisty woman, compared to his upbringing of middle class restrained parents. His remembers bits from his childhood - once when his mother wasn't speaking to his father for a week and his father violently smashed a plate at the dinner table.

He doesn't enjoy thinking of the past and takes pride in staying in the present moment, he has no room for reflection or regrets.

That night, he wakes having a memory of an incident with his grandfather.

Next day, his friend Kadek takes him to a fancy new hospital in Kuta, especially for tourists and ex-pats. He feels segregated by not knowing Balinese. He's getting lotion for rashes and trying to figure out why he's having memory lapses. The doctor thinks it's memory impairment from stress, not requiring an MRI. Suggests him relaxation techniques. He frets about the indignity of losing one's mind and words.

A month has gone by. Kadek calls on him with various remedies and takes him to a Shaman. When they see the healer, he begins to cry and finds it futile. He just wants his words back. He's afraid of losing his autonomy.

Liz phones and wonders what's wrong with him and he pours his heart out explaining his fears of dementia. She suggests he come back home.

He reflects on his life - a failure to be a journalist, then his wife preferring to be with another man due to his wanderlust and emotional intimacy issues. He realises if he goes home he'll need medical testing. He decides to stay in Bali to finish his current book and then travel more, he wants to continue to buy time and make new and old memories.

The End.

I also bought that book, and every time I saw the cover when I opened my Kindle it made me feel sick. It definitely has a lot of similarities in the way that women and sex are spoken about. Makes you feel like you’ve been in a bath of slime, just reading it!

OK so a while back we found a RGW from Ballina with "Trading Names" used in the same line of work of AH Renov Pubs in name only "company".

VIP BROCHURE SERVICE20 Jul 2002(current)
COASTAL BROCHURE SERVICE11 Jul 200220 Jul 2002
Coastal Brochure Service11 Jun 200211 Jul 2002
VIP Brochures02 Nov 2006(current)
Nomads Brochure Service

Renov Pubs
Design and realisation of advertising campaigns for third parties, using all media

I cant remember who but someone said that this RGW was a legit person who lived in the exact same area as AH
I do remember tracking the name back to an accommodation in Airlie Beach
It could just be another one of those 'coincidences' that always seem to attach themselves to AH

Oh god there’s more?

But truly fascinating. Glimpses of…something. Arrogance, assumptions, biases…

And slipping in bits of personal experience or what is imagined to be someone’s experience?

Two more exceptionally tedious chapters to come!

These 'short stories' are mind bending to read as whoever wrote them is honestly an extremely grandiose sociopath with anger / violence issues and a pathological hatred of women, who they can only view as 'wife', 'for sex', or 'maid'.

I wonder how many 'Indonesian' home care / cleaning staff the AKAs have unofficially had over the years?

Also something crops up a few times is the protagonist feeling angry and excluded because they can't speak Balinese.

JMO MOO

As part of a business like that you’d have to have a strong relationship with Australia Post. Also direct marketing companies, as well as buying lists of people’s names. Fair amount of data is scraped up these days. Hmmmm.

Also something crops up a few times is the protagonist feeling angry and excluded because they can't speak Balinese.

Especially if the protagonist has mastered other languages but this one has them stumped.

On the other hand at this point in time I am still sticking with the 1994 advert under Pierre de Gaye

All roads lead to Byron / Ballina area, WA , Bali, UK

That advert was his for sure and certain IMO

He used that name because he was perhaps associated to that name by someone who lived/ lives/ frequents his local area, she is French speaking, blonde, a well known house sitter in the area
and has the SAME first name as that advert did looking for a FR she met once - Her name is Michèle

From my searches I found a complex path of seemingly legit families and then not so legit connections.
The woman mentioned above is also a photographer
In 1988 she was in WA exhibiting - the same place her family are from
She self published a book of her photographs under the title Floribunda

Her relative also under the same surname - trying not to mention names here - lives in WA and is related to a family in the UK whose name was in the advert = the EXACT name.

That name used is owned by a person connected to the above - ONLY he would have been a child when that 1994 ad was placed.

A sleuth maybe @MrsWattle ?? or @Lord Peter Flimsy - sorry I cant remember -some time back found a writeup on the marriage announcement of the son from the UK and his bride from Thailand

His wife was from Bali and was an English Language Teacher and Beauty Therapist

What I find interesting is the UK Family come from Melton Mowbray
The exact same place that the book was published

EDIT TO NOTE:
ONE of the family members connected to the woman who is the photographer and who has been spoken about here before in the context of owning a Register Repair 'business' and another called La Case Creole, has a son, who has NOW mysteriously departed the world of FB - was there one day - Bali book materialises - his page disappears - coincidence!

Last edited:
Two more exceptionally tedious chapters to come!

These 'short stories' are mind bending to read as whoever wrote them is honestly an extremely grandiose sociopath with anger / violence issues and a pathological hatred of women, who they can only view as 'wife', 'for sex', or 'maid'.

I wonder how many 'Indonesian' home care / cleaning staff the AKAs have unofficially had over the years?

JMO MOO
BINGO!

Right. So the French house sitter potentially saw this advert and wondered why her relative’s name was being used for a romance ad in her area?

Edited: no I haven’t ‘got it.’ Ok trying again. She met him, he used her family name.

Edited to add: Well well. That is quite the little network he allegedly has there connecting UK, Bali, Ballina. Great sleuthing Mishy.

Last edited:
coverkitchen.com did the cover design for the book... would be interesting if they would disclose who paid for the artwork & if monsoonbooks.co.uk would know more about the author they are publishing.
There is a video on FB of the founder speaking about his business in 2019 - I'm not sure how to link it without it being taken down.
It is on a page called Sleek
go to photos, then videos and its down a ways on the list

"For our founder story this week, we introduce Cover Kitchen - founded by Xavier Comas.
Cover Kitchen focuses on designing book covers for publishers and self-published authors around the world!
1f4da.png

Watch this video to find out what makes Cover Kitchen different from other design companies and more about Xavier’s vision behind his business "

Attachments

• xavier comas .jpg
    xavier comas .jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 4
This book resurfacing has me wondering if any sleuths here have watched the recent documentary “The Thief Collector.” An elderly couple in Arizona died and when their nephew was clearing out the house, he discovered they were in possession of a famous stolen painting.

I know it’s not the first time the thread has discussed other middling fraudsters and their overlapping MOs with RB. I don’t want to state specifics or it will reveal the more extraordinary parts of the documentary (which you should all watch!). However, a couple of similarities jumped up:

- theft of many smaller items from low-stakes marks
- living an outwardly humble life and not drawing attention to any $$ gained from theft
- self-publishing a badly-written book full of references to things you might have done which could also be dismissed as total fiction/fantasy
- theft not for necessity but because it it left one feeling smart, superior and smug that you could do it and no one knew
- lots of international travel muddying the water
- two children with ambiguous roles in the whole thing
- feelings of talent/potential not being recognised, leading to burning resentment
- incompetence of law enforcement exposed by the hard work of citizen sleuths
- one very terrible thing which I won’t say due to spoilers

There is no direct connection to this case, but it made me consider a psychological mindset that perhaps is common to a certain kind of middling, constant criminal behaviour. Not being a psych or criminologist I didn’t really consider that before, but it does help me understand how people like this exist and continue to operate when to everyone else it seems far easier and more enjoyable to just be a normal citizen with a job and a lot less stress. IMO

The purple prose in the books is really similar!

There's more but I've had enough for today!
If he didn't write it then someone close to him did IMO
Although it does sound like his story that is for sure

And there is definitely something to this book and him because the Q raised last night was put to bed fast with a can't answer that atm from J

To me this image looks like the reader is with the author - and if so is he related to the de gaye clan
The man in the photos seem to be the same man but younger on the front cover of the book ???

"Alwin Blum first set foot on the island in the 1990s and has lived in Bali, off and on, for over a decade – for seven of those years, in a small home within a Balinese family compound. The author is an avid student and observer of Balinese culture and healing."

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SweetCandy
Back