Food and Recipes while under Coronavirus quarantine #7

Yes!

Anytime I make a cream based soup I start with a sort of "roux" which is melted butter add some flour until thick and then the liquid (broth, cream etc). In a separate pan/pot I do my veggies, usually broccoli. In that case, I sometimes add minced onion to the butter in the pot before the flour.

You can also use this recipe to make sauces. I use the same base for macaroni and cheese except I add less flour, less milk/cream and lots of cheese (and some mustard).
Much thanks for the tip on the mustard. I do the same but use a little splash of tabasco & I always think it's a little too aggressive. I love mustard, so the mustard'll work for me, lol.

I don't have an alternative for you unfortunately but my grandmother has always been sternly against Campbells soup! She says it has too much sodium and msg. There are other soups which cost more but are soup-erior haha!

Idk any subs for cream of chicken soup tho. Seems the kind of thing you'd have to make from scratch to get even close to the same. I'm curious as to what you might find on your shopping trip :)
I usually just make a roux with fresh mushrooms to sub for cream of mushroom soup. Probably you could do the same for cream of chicken or cream of celery soup.

My roux recipe is very simple, just butter, olive oil, vegetable broth, flour, fresh garlic, seasonings and fresh mushrooms. My tip for making a good roux is to be sure and cook the flour mixture long enough that you won’t have a raw flour taste. Some recipes say to stir after adding flour for 30 seconds or a minute, I always cook and stir constantly for four or five minutes over low heat.

Meijer grocery stores just started carrying Buddy’s Pizza.
Nino Salvaggio has had Buddy Pizza for a while. The pizzas are displayed in their own tank that gets moved around the store. When there is a major sporting event going on, the tank is close to the check-out lanes. We're not crazy about Buddy's pizza and have always thought it was overrated.

I’ve never heard of that brand. I stopped buying several brands of frozen pizza because they smell so bad when they’re cooking. I discovered the strong smell was Asiago cheese, which literally smells like soured / curdled milk. On Reddit they described it as a baby vomit smell. :eek: But it’s really true! So after checking ingredients I have settled on Jack’s pizza that only has Mozzarella cheese, so no nasty smell.
I didn’t realize so many frozen pizzas had started using Asiago cheese rather than just plain old non smelly Mozzarella.

title_birthplace.jpg

In 1946, a new style of pizza was born at Buddy’s and it was different. Our one of a kind square pies are built by hand with the best ingredients. No shortcuts, just a stubborn belief in doing things right. We believe in creating good food that’s meant to be gathered ‘round – from family dinner, to date night, game night and everything in between. We’ve always had a way of turning strangers into friends and friends into family. We are The Original Detroit-Style Pizza.

So what is special about Buddy's pizza? I have not heard of it.
I would love to find a new frozen pizza brand. I'm tired of Tombstone, Home Run Inn, Lotta Motzza, Connies and local store brands.
We don't eat them often, but in the case of emergency, give me some guidance!

JMO

So what is special about Buddy's pizza? I have not heard of it.
I would love to find a new frozen pizza brand. I'm tired of Tombstone, Home Run Inn, Lotta Motzza, Connies and local store brands.
We don't eat them often, but in the case of emergency, give me some guidance!

JMO
I’m not a fan of frozen pizza in general, I haven’t tried Buddy’s frozen yet but I like it at the restaurants. It’s the original Detroit style pizza.

Instead of frozen pizza we usually make our own easy pizza sauce, then spread it on naan bread or French bread that is sliced in half. Then we top it with any fresh vegetables that we have, diced, then sprinkle cheese on top and bake.

A good, simple sauce is made from San Marzano canned whole tomatoes. Just place the tomatoes in a colander to drain for half an hour, then mash with a potato masher. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, or any other seasonings that you like. No need to cook the sauce. We like to add some torn fresh basil leaves.

Spread the sauce over pizza dough, French bread or naan bread. Add any toppings you like and then sprinkle cheese on top.

The hashbrown casserole was delicious. It will stay on the menu list for sure. Once I find the right type of soup, I’ll have to buy 2-3 cans. That way I’ll have it on hand.

My friend needed me to watch Neeko so he’s here for a week. He sure looked shocked when I didn’t share my breakfast. I think he was pouting after I finished. LOL!

Attachments

• IMG_3529.jpeg
    IMG_3529.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_3528.jpeg
    IMG_3528.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 25
I’m not a fan of frozen pizza in general, I haven’t tried Buddy’s frozen yet but I like it at the restaurants. It’s the original Detroit style pizza.

Instead of frozen pizza we usually make our own easy pizza sauce, then spread it on naan bread or French bread that is sliced in half. Then we top it with any fresh vegetables that we have, diced, then sprinkle cheese on top and bake.

A good, simple sauce is made from San Marzano canned whole tomatoes. Just place the tomatoes in a colander to drain for half an hour, then mash with a potato masher. Season with salt, pepper, garlic, or any other seasonings that you like. No need to cook the sauce. We like to add some torn fresh basil leaves.

Spread the sauce over pizza dough, French bread or naan bread. Add any toppings you like and then sprinkle cheese on top.
This but with garlic bread!!! Add some sauce, some cheese and pepperoni, whatever else you want and voila.

You can also use pesto or tomato pesto instead of pizza sauce and cheese bread instead of garlic bread.

I am always paranoid of raw flour in my roux and it not being done right. Never had an issue but I have had some questionable pasta sauces from others! Safest bet is a tomato base with no meat in those cases :confused:

This but with garlic bread!!! Add some sauce, some cheese and pepperoni, whatever else you want and voila.

You can also use pesto or tomato pesto instead of pizza sauce and cheese bread instead of garlic bread.

I am always paranoid of raw flour in my roux and it not being done right. Never had an issue but I have had some questionable pasta sauces from others! Safest bet is a tomato base with no meat in those cases :confused:
I’ve seen so many recipes that don’t cook the flour in the roux. The directions just say to stir in the flour, or whisk flour until smooth. I always cook and stir after adding flour. You can definitely taste raw flour in a roux, soup, or gravy if it hasn’t been cooked.

I’ve seen so many recipes that don’t cook the flour in the roux. The directions just say to stir in the flour, or whisk flour until smooth. I always cook and stir after adding flour. You can definitely taste raw flour in a roux, soup, or gravy if it hasn’t been cooked.
Gross lol! It needs to bubble and turn a toasty colour. At least that is my own standard.

I made red beans and rice yesterday. I had read many recipes and took the best features of several of them to make the dish my own. My version included Andouille sausage, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, chicken stock, canned dark red kidney beans, cooked white rice. It was delicious! I will definitely make this again. I make Cuban black beans and rice occasionally but had not made Cajun red beans and rice previously. The combination of beans and rice is magical.

DH told me that he doesn't want corned beef for St. Patrick's Day, so I will make Shepherd's Pie on Sunday. Do you cook anything special for St. Paddy's Day when everyone is Irish?

The hashbrown casserole was delicious. It will stay on the menu list for sure. Once I find the right type of soup, I’ll have to buy 2-3 cans. That way I’ll have it on hand.

My friend needed me to watch Neeko so he’s here for a week. He sure looked shocked when I didn’t share my breakfast. I think he was pouting after I finished. LOL!
he just knows that he is a husky in FL and summer is coming... got any ice?

I made red beans and rice yesterday. I had read many recipes and took the best features of several of them to make the dish my own. My version included Andouille sausage, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, salt, pepper, Cajun seasoning, chicken stock, canned dark red kidney beans, cooked white rice. It was delicious! I will definitely make this again. I make Cuban black beans and rice occasionally but had not made Cajun red beans and rice previously. The combination of beans and rice is magical.

DH told me that he doesn't want corned beef for St. Patrick's Day, so I will make Shepherd's Pie on Sunday. Do you cook anything special for St. Paddy's Day when everyone is Irish?
Omg that sounds so good with the sausage!! Yes, I agree that rice and beans (peas and rice) in itself is the comfort food you didn't know you were missing.

Am I misunderstanding? Roux for a pizza?

I have the stuff to make pizza, but I strongly fear it will be inferior. Thus a waste of time. Not that I won’t try it, but we have high expectations when it comes to pizza.

Honestly, over the years, one our passions has been, finding the best pizza place where we are in our travels. There are a lot of really great pizza places out there…. the Colorado Rockies; Destin, Florida; Hilton Head, SC; Dallas, TX …. Many more, Too many to recall.
Strangely, none where we live. Odd. Yet you go to Hot Sorings, AR? And there’s a multitude of great pizza places. But this is the best we’ve found, IOHO. He’s actually making a pizza in the video, but I have serious doubts I could do what Tony does.
ETA: It looks like he’s sprinkling a bit of cheese on the crust, before he puts on the sauce. Is that what you guys see?

Last edited:
Am I misunderstanding? Roux for a pizza?
No LOL those were two separate topics/conversations at once but how funny!

It all goes under the heading of "Italian Food", sauces specifically. It's all about ratios. The same ingredients in different amounts create so many different options when you think about it. Even the pasta or dough itself!

Snipped for space:
I mentioned in an earlier post how I grew up eating corned beef and cabbage every St. Patrick’s Day. So, normally that is what we eat on the day. This year, however…we couldn’t wait, and already ate it as it was on sale last week!
lick.gif
So, I don’t know what we’ll eat, but it won’t be that. :) Probably it’ll be just another day. BUT I’ll still wear something green.

By the way, the best price I could find here was $2.99/lb for point cut. Not that cheap a deal compared to the good ol’ days. What’s the sale price for corned beef where you are, everyone?

ETA: It looks like he’s sprinkling a bit of cheese on the crust, before he puts on the sauce. Is that what you guys see?
Yes, he’s sprinkling the cheese before the sauce! Do they put more cheese on top after the sauce? I like when cheese gets melty and with “burnt” spots on top of pizza. Is that just me? Does that still happen if the cheese is under the sauce?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PurplePoloBear
Back