Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikkismom

Reaction score
According to NYT, the have been released. I don't know how to link.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Thread #1

I'm thrilled that this couple and their children have been released.

I will just add that I am a tad skeptical about their original motives for being in Afghanistan. With Boyle having originally married Omar Khadr's sister, it gives me pause.

(BTW, I am actually an Omar K supporter due to his young age and his behaviour since his release. But his sister is a whole 'nother matter. She strikes me as a die-hard terrorist.)

http://www.cp24.com/world/joshua-boyle-says-his-child-was-murdered-wife-raped-while-in-captivity-1.3630696
Joshua Boyle says his child was murdered, wife raped while in captivity
TORONTO -- Former hostage Joshua Boyle said upon arriving back in Canada that the Haqqani network in Afghanistan had killed his infant daughter and raped his wife during the years they were held in captivity.

Boyle gave the statement shortly after landing in Canada late Friday with his American wife, Caitlan Coleman, and three young children.

The couple was rescued Wednesday, five years after they had been abducted by the Taliban-linked extremist network while in Afghanistan as part of a backpacking trip. Coleman was pregnant at the time and had four children in captivity. The birth of the fourth child had not been publicly known before Boyle appeared before journalists at the Toronto airport

Afghanistan was eclipsed only by the stupidity and evil of authorizing the murder of my infant daughter," he said. Boyle said his wife was raped by a guard who was assisted by his superiors. He asked for the Afghan government to bring them to justice

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boyle-coleman-former-captives-return-to-canada-1.4355358
Freed hostage Joshua Boyle says children adapting to '1st true home'

Canadian kidnapped with his wife, Caitlan Coleman, says his kids have no experience of life out of captivity
Freed Canadian hostage Joshua Boyle says his three children are quickly adapting as the family spends their first full day in Canada, after five excruciating years being held captive in Afghanistan.

"We have reached the first true home that the children have ever known after they spent most of Friday asking if each subsequent airport was our new house hopefully," Boyle told CBC, after a day of travel that included flights to London and then Toronto.

"We know nothing is instant — but after five years, it's so difficult to accept that everything isn't magically perfect just because you're no longer being brutalized," he said.

In response to emailed questions, Boyle told CBC's Susan Ormiston how his three children were reacting to freedom.

He said the eldest child, Najaeshi Jonah, 4, is "exuberant; honestly freedom seems to have cured half his ills instantly, he's running around examining all the gifts compiled over the years.

"Najaeshi Jonah is examining Post-it notes and curtains and paints and board games, remote controls, everything in the house is a wonderland to him," wrote Boyle. "That said, he's terrified to leave the house, even just to go on the porch...it's as though he thinks if he ever exits this magical wonderland it will all end...."

'Everything reminds him of the horrors of prison'

Boyle said Saturday that his middle child, Dhakwoen Noah, 2, is more fearful, "nearly as distressed as he was in prison, it seems everything reminds him of the horrors of prison; cameras are equated to hostage videos, pens are equated to syringes used to drug his parents with ketamine by the guards, slamming doors is associated with cell searches or worse, it seems his healing process has barely begun — so we pray that God will hasten it."

Ma'idah Grace, who is about five months old — had health problems. An earlier report said she needed to be force-fed by their rescuers. "Ma'idah Grace seems scared most of the time, but also to have discovered there are more decent people in the world than she knew;

I can't help but wonder if the second victim is one of JB's parents. They made that statement acknowledging how bizarre his media statements have been. Now we hear JS and CC moved out of his parents' house, that living there was "intolerable" (according to JB). No word of thanks or acknowledgment towards his parents for their help, just that the single room was "intolerable". And now it appears his parents are refusing to post bail or act as a surety for JB. Sounds like they've had a falling out with their son. Maybe they tried to intervene with what was going on with CC, and got threatened, assaulted, etc. by their son as a result.

Good points. Agreed. I think it’s quite likely that the second victim is one of his parents. I really hope he stays in jail for everyone’s sake. He is not stable. His claim of being a pacifist hippy is no longer valid. Here’s hoping CC is getting some counseling and help from her parents. I wonder if she’s still living in the apartment.

You all could be right about one of his parents being a victim, but I think its one of the children. Just my gut feeling.

I do think one of the condition he will have if CC is a victim is a restraining order to keep away until after the trial. That may take up to 2 years. I cant see why she would would want to stay here in Canada with no family support. And she would have to find a job to support her family. Who would hire him?

To be a surety in Canada, you need to post $$$ as well. And if the person doesn't follow the conditions, the surety will lose the $$$.

I believe the victims are CC and one of the children., my gut feeling also. (I have been following the tweets of one retired Ottawa lawyer that speaks pretty bluntly about this case)
We have no proof that his parents have refused to bail him out or be his surety, all we know for sure is that he will spend another week in jail while details are worked out and he goes back to court on Jan 15.
Perhaps one of the conditions of bail is counseling of some sort. CC has stated she hopes he gets the help he needs and his family has indicated their hope he gets counseling,

Not sure if this article was posted
Hostage US was hired to help repatriate the family (well before JB was arrested)
What is unusual is that Global Affairs Canada kept an interest in the family. usually the federal gov't role is very limited and services(health care, housing and financial aid) are handled by the Provincial and Municipal gov't

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...oshua-boyles-family-readjust/article37478440/ Jan 3, 2018

Federal government hired NGO to help former hostage Joshua Boyle’s family readjust

Global Affairs Canada's decision to work with the organization, known as Hostage US, was one of several forms of rare postcaptivity government assistance provided to the family in recent weeks, according to two sources with knowledge of the case. The contract with Hostage US includes referrals for counselling, financial advice and lawyers.

You all could be right about one of his parents being a victim, but I think its one of the children. Just my gut feeling.

I do think one of the condition he will have if CC is a victim is a restraining order to keep away until after the trial. That may take up to 2 years. I cant see why she would would want to stay here in Canada with no family support. And she would have to find a job to support her family. Who would hire him?

I feel like it’s actually her mom who’s the other victim. Based on my vague memory of previous posts saying her parents were in Canada.

His parents are clearly delusional, in denial, or just very loyal to their son. They stood by him when he married into a family with serious terroristic ties. The interviews with his parents and sisters during their “captivity” speaks volumes to me. I’m surprised his father even had a career in the judicial system considering his son married the sister of a Guantanamo detainee, the daughter of a man who was an al-queda associate or whatever you want to call him. Who financed this trip to the “safe stans?” Bc JB seemed to have a pretty mediocre job at a call center. I can’t help but consider his parents enablers, and the exact opposite of victims in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree it's just as likely to be one of the children, which could also explain any riff between JB and his parents. I feel so sorry for those kids. It made me really angry to read in one of the recent articles that JB said having children was a way to snub his nose at his captors. It's as if he sees them as possessions to be used, and not as vulnerable little human beings.

I really hope CC gets herself and the children away from him. imo he's a full blown narcissist, and I don't think therapy helps people like him change their ways. I'm sure he's looking forward to manipulating every professional he comes into contact with throughout his legal proceedings (maybe I should say "trying to manipulate", because JB certainly isn't as intelligent or "cunning" as he thinks he is).

I agree it's just as likely to be one of the children, which could also explain any riff between JB and his parents. I feel so sorry for those kids. It made me really angry to read in one of the recent articles that JB said having children was a way to snub his nose at his captors. It's as if he sees them as possessions to be used, and not as vulnerable little human beings.

I really hope CC gets herself and the children away from him. imo he's a full blown narcissist, and I don't think therapy helps people like him change their ways. I'm sure he's looking forward to manipulating every professional he comes into contact with throughout his legal proceedings (maybe I should say "trying to manipulate", because JB certainly isn't as intelligent or "cunning" as he thinks he is).

:welcome: lilacc. I didn’t notice you were new when I replied to your first post. :)

I agree he’s a narcissist and possibly more. There’s no fix. I feel terribly sorry for the kids. I agree that CC needs to get out from under his “spell.” I hope that is possible. I’m sure she’s torn and confused, among other things.

If Caitlin decides to return home to her small town, to have help from her parents, she may not have the same support from the Muslim population as a larger city could offer her. Apparently she is very active in the Muslim homeschooling community here. Would there be a mosque close enough for her to worship in? A move back to her home town may isolate her more.

“God has given me and my family unparalleled resilience and determination, and to allow that to stagnate, to pursue personal pleasure or comfort while there is still deliberate and organized injustice in the world would be a betrayal of all I believe, and tantamount to sacrilege,” he wrote.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-wife-were-kidnapped-because-she-was-pregnant OCT 15,2017

Went back to earlier articles and photos and this statement just upset me so in light of the assault charges IMO
There was that one photo in the above article that I mentioned in Thread 1 that made me sad the first time I saw it and still makes me sad at the way he is moving the little boy by the scruff of the neck

If Caitlin decides to return home to her small town, to have help from her parents, she may not have the same support from the Muslim population as a larger city could offer her. Apparently she is very active in the Muslim homeschooling community here. Would there be a mosque close enough for her to worship in? A move back to her home town may isolate her more.

I wasn’t sure about the Muslim community in that area of PA but according to google, there is a mosque in York which is 30 min from Stewartstown. there’s also an Islamic society in Hanover, which would be about 40 min away, and a bunch of others that are about an hour away.

“God has given me and my family unparalleled resilience and determination, and to allow that to stagnate, to pursue personal pleasure or comfort while there is still deliberate and organized injustice in the world would be a betrayal of all I believe, and tantamount to sacrilege,” he wrote.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-wife-were-kidnapped-because-she-was-pregnant OCT 15,2017

Went back to earlier articles and photos and this statement just upset me so in light of the assault charges IMO
There was that one photo in the above article that I mentioned in Thread 1 that made me sad the first time I saw it and still makes me sad at the way he is moving the little boy by the scruff of the neck

I’m sorry but those pics of him on his cell phone, “hiding” behind bushes while making direct eye contact with the person taking the pics, with that smug smirk on his face, makes my stomach turn. That smirk really really irks me. And it’s not just that set of pics. And I agree about the pic of him grabbing his son. It may be innocent, that the kids lost his balance and JB was catching him, but I doubt it. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member