17 yo Trayvon Martin Shot to Death by Neighborhood Watch Captain #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing in articles like this how much they try to make him out to be a multi ethnic loving person. It's almost going overboard. I don't think a jury is going to acquit him because he loves all ethnicities so darn much. That supposed love did not stop him from pulling a trigger and killing TM.

Nor did it stop him from assaulting a law enforcement agent or beating up on his ex "hoe."

~jmo~

But is he Chicano or Mexican-American? There are many Latino/Hispanic cultures and they don't always love each other.

Serbs, Croats and Bosnians all speak the same language and we know how that turned out. (I'm not suggesting conflicts in the Latino world reach the level of genocide, just that sharing some cultural traits doesn't guarantee solidarity.)

I thought his mother was Peruvian?? :waitasec:

Frances Robles @RoblesHerald

Crump on #Zimmerman myspace: "It's 1 thing to think it, but to TYPE it? U had to really have ill will + malice. U really gotta be racist."

So Crump thinks Mexican is a race???

OKIE DOKIE

Racism or tribalism? IMO, much of what is called racism is really tribalism.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

Yes. This.

Prejudice. I think that would have been a better word than racism, but it all comes from the same place. Hatred based on something a person can not control. Their race, sexual orientation, gender, nationality.

I'm not really stunned by the MS page? It is what it is. I always thought he was a punk himself and had no reason to prejudge others as punks.

MOO

Nor did it stop him from assaulting a law enforcement agent or beating up on his ex "hoe."

~jmo~

Was he convicted for beating up his ex? Or just accused?
Didn't they both have orders against each other?

I don't remember seeing where he was found guilty of beating up his ex.

I kept reading about this vile racist rant that was about to be released and blow this defendant out of the water. And so reading this, imo, is kind of tame. He rants on a bit about the Mexican gangbangers who harass him and pull knives on people in the neighborhood. Having lived with the MS13 gangs in Venice Beach for many years, I sympathized with his feelings. I had many wonderful Latino families as my neighbors. But their teen kids were sometimes heartless and scary if they joined that street gang. They constantly perpetrated violence on our little beach town after dark. So I totally understood what he was trying to say. Racist musings, sure.

But nothing in that old myspace from years ago does anything to show that he hated innocent young black males and wanted to kill them,.imo.

So Crump thinks Mexican is a race???

OKIE DOKIE

I never understood this...
If you're from Africa, you're African (race on most questionnaires)
If you're from Asia, you're Asian (race on some questionnaires)
Why can't you be "Mexican" if you're from Mexico?

This race thing is too confusing for me.
I think we're all human beings (or at least some of us strive to be)

Glad I'm not racist.. i'd be confused as to WHO to actually hate!

Just because you belong to a certain ethnic group does not mean you can't be racist. I know Brazilians who hate Cubans. Puerto Ricans who hate Mexicans. Jamaicans who hate Haitians. Cubans who hate Afro-Cubans. Irish who hate Italian. Chinese who hate Japanese. Czechs who hate Russians.

I do agree that GZ did seem like quite the /punk himself when he was younger and it seems to me that he hasn't changed that much either.

MOO

You're certainly right about racism, Lola. I've also heard people distinguish between "good" blacks (i.e., their friends) and "other" blacks.

Racial identify and animus are complex and come in many varieties.

Jayne Navarre, a South Florida consultant who devises social media strategies for lawyers, said O’Mara’s use of social media will “almost certainly” taint a jury pool and compromise Zimmerman’s shot at a fair trial. She said O’Mara also may be violating American Bar Association rules that prohibit a lawyer from helping third parties make prohibited extrajudicial comments.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/05/01/2778234_p2/myspace-page-is-latest-salvo-in.html#storylink=cpy

IMO, it's racism.

Much as the Nazis were racist.

I would agree with you if Mexican was a race. But it's not.

Mex·i·can   /ˈmɛksɪkən/ Show Spelled[mek-si-kuhn] Show IPA
adjective
1. of or pertaining to Mexico or its people.
2. of or pertaining to Spanish as used in Mexico.
3. of or pertaining to the Nahuatl language or its speakers.

www.dictionary.com

It's a prejudice but not a racially formed one.

I kept reading about this vile racist rant that was about to be released and blow this defendant out of the water. And so reading this, imo, is kind of tame. He rants on a bit about the Mexican gangbangers who harass him and pull knives on people in the neighborhood. Having lived with the MS13 gangs in Venice Beach for many years, I sympathized with his feelings. I had many wonderful Latino families as my neighbors. But their teen kids were sometimes heartless and scary if they joined that street gang. They constantly perpetrated violence on our little beach town after dark. So I totally understood what he was trying to say. Racist musings, sure.

But nothing in that old myspace from years ago does anything to show that he hated innocent young black males and wanted to kill them,.imo.

But it shows a pattern. If he has no respect for all Mexicans because of one gang (and we don't even know if he actually ran into an actual gangbanger or just profiled the person as a gangbanger), then why would he have any respect for other races, ethnicities, etc, like African Americans? He may have been taught to be aware of other races and ethnicities, but he sure wasn't taught to respect any of them. It all goes to a pattern of racist behavior by GZ, who wants us to believe he was defending himself and not tracking down and killing an African American criminal, most of whom always get away, according to his own words.

Again, the million-dollar estimate came from O'Mara, not from me. I merely said it wouldn't surprise me. (As for authority, except for experience with timekeeping procedures at private law firms, I don't know what "authority" I have claimed.)

Yes, I was speculating about DA costs, based on my understanding of human nature. I don't believe any DA is going to brag about how much money she spent to lose a case, so any estimate given after an acquittal is going to be conservative. (IN MY OPINION. Does that help?)

I haven't seen any itemized accountings from either side in the Anthony case. Did the prosecutor itemize all the police personnel available to her plus the coroner's office plus officials at the jail where CA was held (who pored over surveillance tapes), etc. and so forth? How about media representatives? I really don't care enough to wade through hundreds of pages of spreadsheets and timekeeping, but I doubt those costs were included in the estimate.

I've never heard a defense attorney OR prosecutor who didn't acknowledge that the State has tremendous resources at its disposal that are not available to any but perhaps the richest defendants. The training of defense attorneys deals with how to address the disadvantage.

Why are we arguing about this?

Thanks, Nova! I needed clarity on your reasoning, and where you were coming from. And you supplied it. I really appreciate your patience! :rose:

I respect Mark NeJame based on how he handled himself in the other infamous Florida case, and he apparently recommended O'Mara to GZ or his family/support network... so I'm having a hard time reconciling all this.

No opinion here, just had to say it.

What is the difference between being racist and being prejudice? Not much! But if want to get technical, George is prejudice!

Also, I don't think George called them gangbangers on his MS page? I think he called them thugs and I think we all know George has a habit of thinking a lot of people are thugs based in their looks -- whether it's the color of their skin or the country they are from.

MOO

Many Hispanics consider it a race. While many others identify closely with their (or their ancestral) nation of origin.

IMO, given the findings of the Human Genome Project, I find these racial distinctions almost meaningless. But humans have a lot of bias involving skin pigmentation. Personally, I don't get it—but as a dark-complected white person, I can very much relate to the prejudice people of color confront on a regular basis.

One of the issues that frustrates me is that GZ is clearly dark-complected and yet white people keep trying to make him some honorary white person for what seem to be political/ideological purposes. IMO, the misleading info about GZ's mixed ethnic background got this case off on a bad start and I fear it won't end well.

JMO, OMO, and :moo:

BBM: As I'm sure gxm knows, technically, the word "race" can mean a biological category or an ethnic group. In American English, we usually use "race" to signify skin color, but if you read European books from the early 20th century, you'll find lots of references to the "French race", the "German race", etc.

In American Spanish, the equivalent word "La raza" is often used to mean "the Latino people", so it shouldn't surprise us if Spanish speakers are more likely to use "race" to mean ethnicity.

I agree with gxm 100% that the Human Genome Project has demonstrated that "race" as a biological category is virtually meaningless. Although my known ancestors all trace to the British Isles, they came to this country centuries ago and who knows who all they married over the years?

Unfortunately, biological irrelevance doesn't mean that skin color isn't still a SOCIAL issue, sometimes even a life-and-death one.

Frances Robles @RoblesHerald

Crump on #Zimmerman myspace: "It's 1 thing to think it, but to TYPE it? U had to really have ill will + malice. U really gotta be racist."

:rolleyes:

IMO, you really have to be immature, self-centered, and trying too hard to impress your friends on myspace.

The one that gets me is the blog gloating about getting off felony charges in spite of his ex-ho. IMO, you really have to be an ignorant arse to post on myspace how psyched you are to get away with committing felonious deeds. :banghead:

Sorry to be so indelicate. But between this "king" myspace and his "thereal" website 7 years later, we've got irrefutable proof of stupid, IMO. That and a witless sort of narcissism.

So does that make GZ racist? No. Guilty of murder? No.

But, it sure makes him ... well, I guess I already said that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shimona