2010.10.21 - Casey Attending Status Hearing 2010.10.29???

The Judge did not actually grant the request at that time. Judge Perry said he would consider it ... but IF he did grant it, that Baez should understand that the shackles only come off when she is in the courtroom, and go back on when she leaves the courtroom. We have not seen a final Order or ruling on that request. The Court Minutes only say that the Judge will take it under advisement.

That was my understanding too ... Jose did request it after KC fell but Judge Perry was referring to her keeping them on in the courtroom ... guess they hurt the poor little darling if she has to sit in court for too long :rolleyes:
I would think they hurt more walking in them rather than just sitting with them on ...
I'm thinking this has more to with public image and making KC look like a criminal with them on ...

I also agree his efforts to have her shackles removed are pathetic. However, if Baez was thinking strategically, it would be one of the few opportunities to wring a little sympathy/pity out of a jury member to see this small slender woman come clanking in with waist and ankle shackles.

Until you know more about her, ICA hardly looks dangerous.

JB is incapable of fighting the good fight. So instead of fighting the forest he chooses to fight one tree at a time, unaware that one tree is insignificant. In fact, this doesn't even qualify as a tree - more like a small fern. Perhaps, *perhaps,* JB will be able to fight a fern. Then he can puff out his ample torso and declare a massive victory.

He can claim that he has slain the flea without realizing that the elephant is now thoroughly pissed off.

Did BP ever rule on the KC doesn't want to wear shackles motion?

Didn't he indicate that they could come off at the courtroom door, but outside of the courtroom was wholly the discretion of OCSO, and not his place to question

That's what I heard. But taken under consideration also. HMMMMMMMMMM Poor Dear.

They are supposed to present the JAC budget Motions and Responses at the Status Hearing on the 29th, along with the Motion(s) to seal jail visit logs and commissary orders and jail visit videos. That why the Inmate needs to be there for this Status Hearing. I agree that she should be there for all Hearings.

I believe the JAC is going to take a much different approach to this , this time, than the first hearing on her financial plight indicated. It seems Mr. Baez and Mr. Mason have lost their copy of the fee schedule. [ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4927098&postcount=37"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - 2010.03.14 Attorney Richard Hornsby discussing this case[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnkhUbRbwBU[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaZnZ50R5m0[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOuwbA4gZFc[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVxt_F_-V78[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54JbOxl30U0[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzy83OX_t3A[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLZk6S_QWqE[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-HhNWPqINI[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kYb9DfPq6E[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUY9h0ZnKZA[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KC0Xtr917ZY[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_12H80h6wL4[/ame]
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpjZ1bL1eIg[/ame]

From a Steph Watts interview with Defense Expert Richard Hornsby back in March
RH "Andrea Lyon knows that she cannot properly defend Casey while they are pinching pennies, so she likely forced his hand to declare her indigent."

"Jose has brokered all the deals and that creates a conflict of interest. He wasn't let in by the Florida bar for several years because he couldn't manage his money". He makes a profit off of how much he doesn't spend on other people, and if you notice he had all these people on the case pro bono,that is more he can keep for himself, it just seems so blatant! If this information comes to light, it could be a big problem. Understand, the only person who can complain about this is Casey Anthony, unless it comes out in the hearing."

RH: "He could be disbarred, if he wasn't using this money in Casey's best interest, if he didn't have her money in a trust account, if he was co-mingling the money, if he brokered these deals and managed her money yes, he absolutely could be disbarred."
RH " You cannot sell your clients rights, you cannot sell even yours, you cannot sell her media publication rights. It would be a conflict of interest. He cannot broker the deal and then manage the money. The only way it would have been anywhere close to ethical and within the rules would be if he got a sep. lawyer to come in and broker the deal and manage her money."

Host " The grandparents could get paid and then give the money to the defense, right?"

RH " That did not happen. The grandparents did not get paid these amounts. They have been deposed. They have been asked under oath how Jose Baez is being paid. They said they do not know. They denied it under oath. It was Casey Anthony or Jose Baez. If he brokered these deals it is unethical, it is against the rules."

The March 25th hearing was sealed. SOME MEDIA OUTLET NEEDS FILE A MOTION TO REQUEST THAT BE UNSEALED BECAUSE NOW THAT THE STATE IS GOING TO PAY, THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW. (Mr. Hornsby is speaking of the time they all went into a side room with the judge for five minutes where Casey and Baez explained the source of the money.) That was sealed because they didn't want to disclose to the public how he was being paid.

Jose Baez hasn't spent money doing many depositions or anything else in the case. He has totally mismanaged this case from day one. Nothing at all was getting done until Andrea Lyon came into the case, nothing. Think about it, the less money he spends, the more money he makes."

RH "She was only in three places, jail ,home confinement and his office, so it had to happen on his watch. We do not have to speculate."

Mr. Hornsby said it was ABC likely leaking out this BOGUS story about the mistress, it is coming out at this time to deflect attention away from the in upcoming hearing. Suddenly Kathi is not going after Baez when his financial empire is about to collapse. Under Florida law it is a crime to commit fraud. This is a big story she would normally be busting wide open.

When these news agencies approached Baez they thought he knew what he was doing, and have since found out he doesn't, they likely have been doing damage control for the last year. What is clear to me is that ABC does not want this to come to light.

RH: Kathi Belich attacks Jose Baez like a pit bull, she goes after him, she would normally be on him like white on rice. She isn't all over him about the financial problems here. This is a big, big story!!! She hasn't touched it. WHY? Because ABC doesn't want her to touch that with a ten foot pole!!!!! It is a huge problem.

THE J A C , they manage all the state funds, they attend all the hearings, are going to look into this in a perfunctory way, as usual, normally they appear by phone .They are not going to know the background of this case. So, unless someone brings them up to speed, they are not going to be well informed about these issues, they wont know that Baez had a secret hearing that was sealed. They aren't going to know Jose Baez has all of these financial problems. Unless Judge Strickland wants to take the bull by its horn and bust this open for them, all they will see is the paperwork and maybe it will get past them."

RH "As a taxpayer it really makes me mad."

RH" The concern is Casey will bring up this money mismanagement on appeal, for sure , she will say he pinched pennies, he tried to save money for himself, he delayed my trial, he did a bad job,because he was trying to cover his own butt."

Host : You lose a lot of business when you have a high profile client?

RH: " If Jose Baez would have handled this case right, it could have been the most lucrative case for him. When it first came out I had clients s coming to me, because he was quoting them astronomical fees. This could have been a gold mine for him. What has hurt him is he has become a clown, legal clown. He can't even get the margins right on his documents.

On his team, he has nobody from Florida and that is his biggest problem."

Rozzie " Well what about all these motions he has filed.
RH: . "That is Andrea Lyon, Andrea Lyon ..case closed. Did you see the motions he drafted before she entered the case?"

RH " Jose Baez cannot have all these high priced experts on this case. He can not travel incessantly , he cannot over bill. If she is declared indigent experts will have a limited amount of hours they can work ,they must prepare line item invoices and their pay will be maxed at $150.00 per hour.
They fight you tooth and nail on every cost!! You spend more time billing than working on the case. I know of lawyers that will refuse to take a case like this because of it."

RH " I would never have taken the case without being paid up front. I would have hired Florida lawyers. I would never have brought in anyone from out of town. I would have opened up a trust account and hired another lawyer to manage the money,so I wouldn't have to worry about being disbarred. Indigency should have been declared a long, long time ago. I would have done it a year ago!"

RH "The Affidavit he drafted about Casey paying him 88K , and that is intellectually dishonest. We all know Casey Anthony did not write him a check for 88K! She doesn't have a bank account. She never had that money. She doesn't work.
The judge may make him divulge every detail, who the third party or parties are.

Don't be shady!! That is what my life likes to say, don't be shady. That is what Jose Baez is doing , being shady. I love Judge Strickland, he is one of the very best judge's we have. He is an elected official. If people know he let Baez skate through this, there is gonna be an uproar.I think the news stations should ask to have the hearing unsealed so everyone can hear it. Right now it is still sealed! I don't think the media has caught on that they may ask for it to be unsealed now that she is asking for the state to pay her costs. I just can't believe none of them have asked for this!"

Me talking.....I think Judge Perry will have Mr. Baez hang up his skates. Looking forward to it.

Didn't he indicate that they could come off at the courtroom door, but outside of the courtroom was wholly the discretion of OCSO, and not his place to question

Yes, I believe that is what he said..

http://www.ninthcircuit.org/news/Hi...der Memorializing Status Hearing 7-5-2010.pdf

In the Order we are reading, Judge Perry wrote he would take in into advisement and IF granted it would only apply IN the courtroom.

IIRC He does not have the authority to order the Department of Corrections to remove a prisoners shackles while transporting the prisoner to the Courtroom and IMO that would include the elevator ride.

I have not read that he Granted the Motion.

What Judge Perry wrote is simply a summary of the hearing to memorialize what transpired. He wrote that Baez requested that. That is all that says. It is not a ruling on yes or no. This judge likes to memorialize the hearing, I assume he knows this is cheaper than the lawyers ordering a transcript of it. Love him!

Note that is indeed the title of the document
"Order memorializing status hearing..."

I sure with the judges did that in every child custody hearing! If all judges were like Judge Perry life would be so different in the legal world. Let me count the ways!
You are right Intermezzo, he is referring only to while she is in the courtroom. Much like he told Mr. Baez if he has a complaint about what goes on in the Orange County jail to walk across the street and file a federal lawsuit, that is outside of his jurisdiction. I must find that hearing, it was hysterical. This was the "Bear in mind"......little dressing down to Baez hearing.

For those of you who do not have Youtube: This hearing included the following
Judge Perry setting out we will stick to the trial date. "I will warn you, bring you a lunch,we will just take a thirty minute lunch while we will start at 5:30-6pm. We will work nights and weekends. We will get this accomplished."

Mrs. Drane Burdick lets the court know that Mr. Baez often claims he hasn't yet decided if he is indeed going to use a particular person, and therefore lags on adding them to his witness list. Moreover, many things that are evidence (photos, documents, etc. ) they have failed to turn over to the state. There are items she has requested from the defense that they have failed to turn over. She asked the court to consider adding a deadline for the defense to turn over all items in the discovery items they intend to use at trial. Exhibits are discussed by the judge.

Mr. Baez agreed it is possible there are things they have yet to turn over, he says they have been so tied up.
The judge asked for an example from Mrs. LDB
She explained...Laura Buchanan, during the state's depo ,she had a document we did not have, had never seen. Her lawyer had to fax us a document. Somehow this witness had a document the defense had not provided. We had to stop and reset the deposition. When it was faxed to me, it had a sticky note, from Laura to Mort . I can only assume that is Mortimer Smith, he is the defense investigator. So they had it! Also this witness: had looked at photographs, areal photographs of the crime scene etc. that were not provided to us. This is a concern. It has come up again and again in depositions we have done.

Judge Perry, "This is the only thing I am going to tell you.
We have discovery rules in the State of Florida, to alleviate what is known as trial by ambush.
The court has a couple of remedies.
One is exclusion, this would the last thing that is utilized.
The other thing lawyers like is delay, a lawyer may ask for time to digest.
I am going to be frank with you!
I doubt , very seriously, if I will delay.
I have informed everyone, once this trial starts you will be working six days a week. You will be working on Saturdays from 9am to at least 1:30p.m.
If you want your evenings to be a period of relaxation and preparation, I would exchange everything that you need to exchange.
If not, I am going to consider the 24 hour rule. There are 24 hours in a day. I am going to have my time period. How much time you get to sleep at night, is is going to be up to you. If ya'll don't share things, you are going to be spending a lot of nights and evenings together. You will continue to work together. I will have very little sympathy when we start game playing. Very little sympathy. I will fashion an order on it."

1947Sierra | August 30, 2010

Status Hearing:
Part 1
http://www.wftv.com/video/24824765/in...

Part 2
http://www.wftv.com/video/24825363/in...
Part two, 18 minute mark... the now famous "Bear in mind...

IMAGES IN COURT
http://www.clickorlando.com/slideshow...
Category:

News & Politics
Tags:

Host " The grandparents could get paid and then give the money to the defense, right?"

RH " That did not happen. The grandparents did not get paid these amounts. They have been deposed. They have been asked under oath how Jose Baez is being paid. They said they do not know. They denied it under oath. It was Casey Anthony or Jose Baez. If he brokered these deals it is unethical, it is against the rules."

The grandparents have no credibility, whatsoever! I don't believe them for a second...they have shown how far they are willing to go to "protect" ICA...as Judge Marilyn Milian would say, if your tongue came notorized, I wouldn't believe you! JMHO

"Jose has brokered all the deals and that creates a conflict of interest. He wasn't let in by the Florida bar for several years because he couldn't manage his money". He makes a profit off of how much he doesn't spend on other people, and if you notice he had all these people on the case pro bono,that is more he can keep for himself, it just seems so blatant! If this information comes to light, it could be a big problem. Understand, the only person who can complain about this is Casey Anthony, unless it comes out in the hearing."
RH: "He could be disbarred, if he wasn't using this money in Casey's best interest, if he didn't have her money in a trust account, if he was co-mingling the money, if he brokered these deals and managed her money yes, he absolutely could be disbarred."
RH " You cannot sell your clients rights, you cannot sell even yours, you cannot sell her media publication rights. It would be a conflict of interest. He cannot broker the deal and then manage the money. The only way it would have been anywhere close to ethical and within the rules would be if he got a sep. lawyer to come in and broker the deal and manage her money."

All those 6 hours days ICA spent at JB's office, is when I believe those deals were brokered! I only wonder if ICA brokered them herself or did Baez speak on her behalf. How would they know the amount of money they could get for Caylee's library of videos/photos? I wonder who put that in their ears?

I wonder why JAC hasn't followed the money trail. Who is the check made out to? Who cashed it and how was it cashed? I doubt Baez opened a bank account for that purpose or has been drawing from it. I do smell CA's hand in this! I also wonder how much they made, not what they said they made!

Baez has everyone who was on his team doing this pro bono, never did Baez offer his services pro bono. Could this be another reason why the other attornies have jumped ship? Why didn't he get other Florida attorneys to come on board. Is this Baez' first indigent case? Does he not know how indigent clients and JAC rules and procedures work??? Which is probably the reason he's quoting perspective clients astronomical fees..He thinks he is some big hot shot but the motions he writes up show him for what he is, incompetent. He's also trying to make up the money JAC's denied his client and his fees that have been cut drastically.

Baez stated in open court where over $115,000 of the licensing fees went ($89,000+ to Baez and $21,000+ to ALyon) where is the other $160,000? Where is that money lingering??? He didn't show his accounting for the total amount of $275,000....where is it? ABC needs to come under scrutiny and show their books too. I don't care if they are owners or affiliates of WFTV, they need to show where the money went, how much is lingering, if any!

Baez did nothing in regards to depos, testing on evidence, etc...until ICA was declared indigent. Then he went full blast trying to catch up to the state. I still feel there is a deal to be had and it will depend on the outcome of this trial where Baez goes from there. I only hope, JAC is onto something since they want to know if ICA is still indigent. Did they get wind of something? Have they seen the visiting log is this another reason Baez wants it sealed?

Jose Baez hasn't spent money doing many depositions or anything else in the case. He has totally mismanaged this case from day one. Nothing at all was getting done until Andrea Lyon came into the case, nothing. Think about it, the less money he spends, the more money he makes."

How would that work? The less money he spends, the more money he makes? He's got JAC on his tail, he can't get what isn't his to begin with!

I don't trust nary a one, they all have corruption up their sleeves with their conspiracy theories surrounding a little no one named ICA...Baez hasn't learned a thing since being held back for a loooong 8 years becoming a licensed attorney, hasn't learned a thing...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Baez has everyone who was on his team doing this pro bono, never did Baez offer his services pro bono. Could this be another reason why the other attornies have jumped ship? Why didn't he get other Florida attorneys to come on board. Is this Baez' first indigent case? Does he not know how indigent clients and JAC rules and procedures work??? Which is probably the reason he's quoting perspective clients astronomical fees..He thinks he is some big hot shot but the motions he writes up show him for what he is, incompetent. He's also trying to make up the money JAC's denied his client and his fees that have been cut drastically.

Justice for Caylee

<snipped and red to address>

Yes, Baez has had dealings with the JAC in a previous case. Apparently he learned nothing. As recently as 8/18/10 he was filing "communications re reimbursement from the JAC" for a case in which the defendant was sentenced on 8/25/08.*

*This is the date Casey was first bailed out. Of note, Baez was there to escort her out in front of the media. He was 45 minutes late to the sentencing.

http://lakecountyclerk.org/record_searches/online_court_records/online_court_records_detail.asp?case_id=78899567%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20%20

Scroll down to the "Docket" section. Also note how many times Baez literally phoned it in, or had someone from his office phone it in.

Thank you Numbers...I should have remembered that case since ND is now wanting an appeal for ineffective counsel...Thank you!

Seems Baez doesn't retain anything negative about himself for it appears that he never learns, does he?

The motions written up before ALyon came on board seemed to be done by some grammar school student..not an attorney. He seems to be in this business for all the wrong reasons or they could be the right reasons depending on which side of the bench one sits, eh...JMHO

Justice for Caylee

Respectfully snipped for space. Bold is mine.
The March 25th hearing was sealed. SOME MEDIA OUTLET NEEDS FILE A MOTION TO REQUEST THAT BE UNSEALED BECAUSE NOW THAT THE STATE IS GOING TO PAY, THE PUBLIC HAS THE RIGHT TO KNOW. (Mr. Hornsby is speaking of the time they all went into a side room with the judge for five minutes where Casey and Baez explained the source of the money.) That was sealed because they didn't want to disclose to the public how he was being paid.

So why doesn't one of the news media request the private part of the March 25 hearing be unsealed? If not K. Belich because of her affiliation with ABC, why not one of the others that are not affiliated.... like FOX.

I'm not understanding why everyone is so willing to just let this be brushed under the rug.

Great question Snaz!
I'd like to see that also, and the contract between Casey and ABC.
Back in March, Mr. Hornsby felt that what Jose had done , if ever thoroughly investigated would be very damming for him.

RH:" Baez is his own worst enemy and he is Casey Anthony's worst enemy. The prosecutors have never came out in the media and said one word publicly. Baez has ruined this case, it has been fumbled form day one. Andrea has come in and tried to fix it but she doesn't have a lot to work with because of the mess he has made. He should remove himself from this case, one hundred percent!!

Either the Florida bar or the judge may remove him from this case. The way he drafted that attorney fees affidavit is going to be a big, huge problem for him!!"

I was shocked that Judge Strickland let him skate. I hope it is not too late for the JAC to look into exactly what has transpired financially on this from jump.

Great question Snaz!
I'd like to see that also, and the contract between Casey and ABC.
Back in March, Mr. Hornsby felt that what Jose had done , if ever thoroughly investigated would be very damming for him.

RH:" Baez is his own worst enemy and he is Casey Anthony's worst enemy. The prosecutors have never came out in the media and said one word publicly. Baez has ruined this case, it has been fumbled form day one. Andrea has come in and tried to fix it but she doesn't have a lot to work with because of the mess he has made. He should remove himself from this case, one hundred percent!!

Either the Florida bar or the judge may remove him from this case. The way he drafted that attorney fees affidavit is going to be a big, huge problem for him!!"

I was shocked that Judge Strickland let him skate. I hope it is not too late for the JAC to look into this from jump.

JAC has been suspicious ever sense they got on....I do believe that could be the downfall for the defense....nobody trusts them

http://www.wftv.com/news/25516807/detail.html

Casey's Defense Wants Experts Reimbursed
1:13 pm EDT October 26, 2010

Casey Anthony's defense team is proposing set rates for travel cost reimbursements for its out-of-state experts.

The defense wants its experts to be able to stay at $150 per night hotels at taxpayers' expense and wants them to be reimbursed for business calls and mileage.

The defense is also asking the court to double the expense allowance for its state private investigator. Judge Perry set a limit of 300 hours for the Florida private investigator and 100 hours for an out-of-state investigator.

The defense said it's used up all that time, costing taxpayers $16,000...
-snipped

http://www.wftv.com/news/25516807/detail.html

Casey's Defense Wants Experts Reimbursed
1:13 pm EDT October 26, 2010

Casey Anthony's defense team is proposing set rates for travel cost reimbursements for its out-of-state experts.

The defense wants its experts to be able to stay at $150 per night hotels at taxpayers' expense and wants them to be reimbursed for business calls and mileage.

The defense is also asking the court to double the expense allowance for its state private investigator. Judge Perry set a limit of 300 hours for the Florida private investigator and 100 hours for an out-of-state investigator.

The defense said it's used up all that time, costing taxpayers $16,000...
-snipped

don't know if this is gutsy or just damn foolish.....Does jb really want to push everything to the extreme--especially with all the dots and i's they are supposed to connect for JAC????

Why should the experts get to stay at $150/night hotels??? I sure can't afford that. We're lucky to stay at $50/night motels when we travel, or we stay with family or friends, or camp. Maybe they can try Priceline!

Why should the experts get to stay at $150/night hotels??? I sure can't afford that. We're lucky to stay at $50/night motels when we travel, or we stay with family or friends, or camp. Maybe they can try Priceline!

that seems like the kind of response HHJP left when it came up in court....ITA with you about it ----

Lambchop is asking on another thread if they have asked for crab puffs for dinner also. I know the motion covers travel, accommodation and business calls - does it even mention meals or is that supposed to be a given?

Have we seen the motion yet? Do I feel Muzikman lurking?:dance:

Lambchop is asking on another thread if they have asked for crab puffs for dinner also. I know the motion covers travel, accommodation and business calls - does it even mention meals or is that supposed to be a given?

Have we seen the motion yet? Do I feel Muzikman lurking?:dance:
Well duh:doh:, How can you stay at $150/night hotel without having crab puffs??? (JK, not directed at you Logicalgirl!)

Well duh:doh:, How can you stay at $150/night hotel without having crab puffs??? (JK, not directed at you Logicalgirl!)

AND, a mint on your pillow.....

ETA: Next we will hear they want to be put up in "Cinderella's Castle" for the night. I mean who comes to Orlando and does not bring the kiddies, even when you're working.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back