2011.01.14 Hearing: Jury Selection Expected To Be Main Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check back in a little while for links to InSession coverage of today. TWA will upload my recordings and post links when she has them done!

But, but but, but.

What are they going to talk about the Casey they "thought" they knew. Because that is what Grund has said and Amy has said. Maybe they will discuss how she treated KC. Ricardo is the one who said she stayed with him five nights a week.

Maybe they will talk about how she felt unhappy with Cindy and George.

That's my question. I wonder if it eluded Finnell that all of her friends openly said they realized they had no clue who she really was, and her whole life was a lie? And the close family members...Hmm...I can see Cindy, George and Lee perpetuating the lies and nonsense (putting the last bit of honor for Caylee out of their lives) but who would the others be? Surely not Rick Plesea and the Ohio family? What can one say about a 2 year old who they didn't see or hear from till 20 years later when she murdered her own daughter?

I agree with you. This is a true warning that he isn't going to allow these games to delay the trial date. That date is set in stone. The deposits have been made. HE dosen't want the defense to whine last minute that they still need time.. cause there just will NOT be any time left to give. The defense has been warned that the game of 'delay' will not effect the trial date. If push comes to shove, work longer hours per day, work the weekends, work Holidays.

Yeah I think he knows what an absolute circus it would (continue) to be when they're picking jurors. I can only imagine what Baez and Mason would have pulled if Strickland were still on the bench. I loved JS but this case demanded a HHJP type. Again, could you imagine what they would be pulling??

Okay. So I started the "lunch instructions thread" and I'll have those instructions transcribed in a JB minute! (If I don't get it done by the deadline, I know you all will give me more time. Sometimes I get thwarted by traffic.)

If I was in jail with the DP hanging over my head, I would like to know why they were discussing lunch. Shouldn't JB and CM have been taking depos instead of being in a courtroom talking about how they haven't done the depos?

I could never work in this world. They would drag me out screaming like a crazy person. Kudos to those of you who do your job with ethics and pride, how do you do it?! And the families! OH! The families and loved ones of the innocent, what a process to see through to the end. Blessings to them.

:twocents:

Yes and Mason said they could do 30 a day...and Baez has had years to do these.

Casey will cop a plea stating Florida's laws make it impossible for her to have a fair and impartial trial. Look how unjustly they treated my boy JB.

She'll throw down the martyr card, as learned from her mother.

And Cindy will spend the rest of her life telling anyone who'll listen about what a raw deal casey got and how baez messed up, etc.

OMG --- JVM saying 'Did the coroner mess up Caylee autopsy'
After the commercial -- (right after - who knows. So dramatic!)

Yeah, but KC still has the right to change her plea if she wants, no matter if HHJP put down a deposit. But I'm willing to stand corrected on that.

Oh I agree with you Turnadot. She waited til the last minute in the check fraud case. She could do it again.

Yes ... since JVM has had JB on her show a few times the teasers always come out pro defense spin. The segment may get more into it but for those who just pay attention to or hear the headlines/teasers --- it is bad.

Yes. She is buddys with JB. After the sanction hearing she spun it to say "JB goes on the attack"!!:waitasec:

Forgive me please, I haven't yet read this entire thread, but I wanted to bring up the $350,000. Has anybody come to a conclusion on what this cost would cover? Considering hotel bills, meals, security, a fax/admin whatever service, transportation to and from the courthouse daily, times 18 (generously) jurors times 60 days... I come up with about $15,000. What kind of breakdown can be expected in this grand total of three hundred and fifty thousand fish? Thanks for insight and knowledge!

So JVM has LP on to comment on the implications of the skull? Sheeesh!

OMG LP just agreed with TM! Saying Tim is right it was underwater. It's good to hear him not bashing him. Wait, that's it? Just LP talking about it? I wanted to hear what whatshisname had to say...you know, that metrosexual attorney guy.

I know she ki$$es butt to get him to come on her show. I was trying to be a good TOS poster --- IE: I was *TRYING* to be diplomatic! LOL hehe

The JVm show is just a commercial for JB- disguised as a crime reporting show..

Here are my notes from today's hearing:

*Jury selection, day 1 will be different, 40 jurors to start at 8:30 or 8:45am, both sides must agree on a "Statement of Case" to be presented to potential jurors. This statement to encompass some of the facts, after preliminary reading of indictment, jurors will be segregated in another court room in groups of 10, will be brought in 1 at a time and asked about hardship, pre-trial publicity, death qualification and then lawyers can ask any question permitted by law. Will seat 12 jurors and unknown amount of alternates. They will be sworn in immediately. Days 2-4 will have 30 jurors brought in until a jury is selected.

HHJP gave atty's a list of TV channels to be approved by both sides, no news, nothing with news tickers are on the list. Both sides have until 4/1/2011 to respond. List of DVD's will also be provided to atty's for approval. TV's are specially programmed.

LDB & JB both requested 30 days notice, HHJP reminded both sides there will be a gag order, and he will probably provide 2 weeks notice. HHJP says jurors are not deaf & dumb, to be evaluated by abilities, 30 days is too long. JB said he might have objections to pre-trial publicity.

HHJP stated that the state will spend $350,000.00 for 8 weeks of trial to pay for jury meals, housing, security, laundry, having dentists & doctors on standby and 24/7 by security by the Sherriff. HHJP says it's almost like summer camp.

Court Administrator will meet with media, media station heads will sign off on confidentiality and also be given notice. HHJP warns that to secure lower costs, contracts to block rooms have been made and non-refundable deposits have been paid already. Each side may have a representative at the meeting.

One atty for each side will be allowed to speak to a potential juror during death qualification, that same atty must object or address the court.

JA would prefer no questionnaires for jurors as they change their answers. HHJP says jurors will be referred to by their numbers not name.

ICA will be transported to location either Saturday or Sunday before May 9, 2011.

*Depositions - Law Enforcement & Ordinary witnesses:

JB - not all completed yet, 7 or 8 no-shows to be completed by 2/18/2011 per HHJP.

LDB - TES witnesses next week.

JB - State to still be deposed by defense:

Ron Adams - prison
Helen Davis - TES Texas
Maya Derkovic
Det. Eric Edwards
Sylvia Hernandez
Amy Huizenga
Ricardo Morales
Rick Plesea
Anthony Rusciano
LE mentioned earlier

JB - Starts whining about witnesses listed after deadline by State, LDB explains these witnesses came to light after internal affairs investigation of Sylvia Hernandez.

LDB says all depositions completed except new TES and the remaining experts.

JA - 2 defense experts are scheduled, waiting for the expert info. Furton is next week.

HHJP - Re-emphasizing that a lot of planning is needed for the out of town jury. Lunch will be from Noon-1:30, unless things move slow, then will be reduced to 1 hour, so pack a lunch.

HHJP requests sidebar with court reporter (JA says your so damn funny to CM during this)

HHJP - Anything else....... No one responds.

HHJP - 2 weeks notice for location of jury selection, asks if there are any objections to media groups being notified, make it known. Court adjourns.

TY! nums. :thumb:

Hey, all. If you wanna discuss the JVM show on this topic, pls gen & use a thread for that pls.

ETA: We can move the JVM posts over to a new JVM thread later...but pls don't use this thread to discuss the show further. Thx.

Hey, all. If you wanna discuss the JVM show on this topic, pls gen & use a thread for that pls.

ETA: We can move the JVM posts over to a new JVM thread later...but pls don't use this thread to discuss the show further. Thx.

Don't think it will be a problem...it was like a 2 minute blurb!:innocent:

Forgive me please, I haven't yet read this entire thread, but I wanted to bring up the $350,000. Has anybody come to a conclusion on what this cost would cover? Considering hotel bills, meals, security, a fax/admin whatever service, transportation to and from the courthouse daily, times 18 (generously) jurors times 60 days... I come up with about $15,000. What kind of breakdown can be expected in this grand total of three hundred and fifty thousand fish? Thanks for insight and knowledge!

It's your calculator.

Average hotel room @ $100/night x 18 jurors x 60 nights = $108,000.

Say, $4 for breakfast + $6 for lunch + $10 for dinner x 18 jurors x 60 days = $21,600.

And it escalates from there.......

I'd inflate those costs, for food. I don't think they plan on serving jurors fast food.

the medical staff, dental staff.. I had no idea how much went into a sequestered Jury!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin