2011.01.14 Hearing: Jury Selection Expected To Be Main Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
During the second sidebar, I very clearly heard and saw Baez say "special relationship". His body language seemed to be conceding to something, none of the usual arrogance left in him, but passively explaining something. Referring to his special relationship with KC I assume? Why he needs to be he one to convince her to plea? Why he needs to remain on the case? I have no idea. Any thoughts? I'd love to see her recent visitation records!!

I'd inflate those costs, for food. I don't think they plan on serving jurors fast food.

the medical staff, dental staff.. I had no idea how much went into a sequestered Jury!

I agree. I was being conservative.

Ditto the hotel rooms - imagine the security and the re-programming of all those TVs! Transportation, DVDs, doctor and dentist on retainer, conference rooms, etc etc etc

Not on my budget, that's for sure.

It's your calculator.

Average hotel room @ $100/night x 18 jurors x 60 nights = $108,000.

Say, $4 for breakfast + $6 for lunch + $10 for dinner x 18 jurors x 60 days = $21,600.

And it escalates from there.......

Good luck finding a decent hotel in Orlando in May for only $100 a night. Ditto for a $4 breakfast, $6 lunch and $10 dinner - unless you are planning to eat all your meals at McDonalds :)

CORRECTED LINKS FOR 2010.09.27 STATUS HEARING

Status Hearing Part 1: http://www.wftv.com/video/25180059/index.html

Status Hearing Part 2: http://www.wftv.com/video/25181178/index.html

Status Hearing Part 3: http://www.wftv.com/video/25181341/index.html

There's quite a few interesting things that pop up in this hearing that with the benefit of hindsight are actually stunning, such as, Baez stating they have a big meeting scheduled with Linda Kenney Baden in Manhattan for the next week to discuss their experts and evidence - low and behold not three weeks later Linda Kenney Baden quits the team. Related?

I'm sure someone must have picked this up at the time but I never knew that til now.

Regarding the list of 'approved DVDs', I think the movies Casey and Tony rented the evening Caylee was kidnapped (I mean murdered) should be mandatory viewing by all jurors.

IMO

Wonder if they let the jurors use the mini bar in their room? After listening all day to the defense team, i'd think it would come in handy :)

It's your calculator.

Average hotel room @ $100/night x 18 jurors x 60 nights = $108,000.

Say, $4 for breakfast + $6 for lunch + $10 for dinner x 18 jurors x 60 days = $21,600.

And it escalates from there.......

Yeah, low end sales per diem for travel meals is $25 per day. And, don't forget laundry (they have to have clean undies and nighties).:innocent:

Regarding the list of 'approved DVDs', I think the movies Casey and Tony rented the evening Caylee was kidnapped (I mean murdered) should be mandatory viewing by all jurors.

IMO

They should queue up the collection of YouTube videos from World According and play them in an endless loop. Only a fraction of the discovery and events will play out in court. Even better, just play the clips of Little Caylee.

You are my sunshine.

Good luck finding a decent hotel in Orlando in May for only $100 a night. Ditto for a $4 breakfast, $6 lunch and $10 dinner - unless you are planning to eat all your meals at McDonalds :)

There's that new place at Goldenrod and 408. They could go there. It has a kitchenette, cable, internet and all. I think it's around 280.00 per week. Or they could try priceline.com they have some great deals. I wish JBP would let me shop around I'd get him some great deals with coupons and all. :D

As far as making hotel reservations to select a jury, I wondered if perhaps the court could make the necessary arrangements for the attorneys, thus alleviating the need to release the info 2 weeks ahead of time.
The rooms could be under one name, one assumed name and the person staying in each room could check in like normal.

Forgive me please, I haven't yet read this entire thread, but I wanted to bring up the $350,000. Has anybody come to a conclusion on what this cost would cover? Considering hotel bills, meals, security, a fax/admin whatever service, transportation to and from the courthouse daily, times 18 (generously) jurors times 60 days... I come up with about $15,000. What kind of breakdown can be expected in this grand total of three hundred and fifty thousand fish? Thanks for insight and knowledge!

HHMB cited lodging, meals, security 24/7 which would include overtime pay of LE, medications, dentist/doctor services, transportation, etc. when he came up with the $350,000.

Here are my notes from today's hearing:

*Jury selection, day 1 will be different, 40 jurors to start at 8:30 or 8:45am, both sides must agree on a "Statement of Case" to be presented to potential jurors. This statement to encompass some of the facts, after preliminary reading of indictment, jurors will be segregated in another court room in groups of 10, will be brought in 1 at a time and asked about hardship, pre-trial publicity, death qualification and then lawyers can ask any question permitted by law. Will seat 12 jurors and unknown amount of alternates. They will be sworn in immediately. Days 2-4 will have 30 jurors brought in until a jury is selected.

HHJP gave atty's a list of TV channels to be approved by both sides, no news, nothing with news tickers are on the list. Both sides have until 4/1/2011 to respond. List of DVD's will also be provided to atty's for approval. TV's are specially programmed.

LDB & JB both requested 30 days notice, HHJP reminded both sides there will be a gag order, and he will probably provide 2 weeks notice. HHJP says jurors are not deaf & dumb, to be evaluated by abilities, 30 days is too long. JB said he might have objections to pre-trial publicity.

HHJP stated that the state will spend $350,000.00 for 8 weeks of trial to pay for jury meals, housing, security, laundry, having dentists & doctors on standby and 24/7 by security by the Sherriff. HHJP says it's almost like summer camp.

Court Administrator will meet with media, media station heads will sign off on confidentiality and also be given notice. HHJP warns that to secure lower costs, contracts to block rooms have been made and non-refundable deposits have been paid already. Each side may have a representative at the meeting.

One atty for each side will be allowed to speak to a potential juror during death qualification, that same atty must object or address the court.

JA would prefer no questionnaires for jurors as they change their answers. HHJP says jurors will be referred to by their numbers not name.

ICA will be transported to location either Saturday or Sunday before May 9, 2011.

*Depositions - Law Enforcement & Ordinary witnesses:

JB - not all completed yet, 7 or 8 no-shows to be completed by 2/18/2011 per HHJP.

LDB - TES witnesses next week.

JB - State to still be deposed by defense:

Ron Adams - prison
Helen Davis - TES Texas
Maya Derkovic
Det. Eric Edwards
Sylvia Hernandez
Amy Huizenga
Ricardo Morales
Rick Plesea
Anthony Rusciano
LE mentioned earlier

JB - Starts whining about witnesses listed after deadline by State, LDB explains these witnesses came to light after internal affairs investigation of Sylvia Hernandez.

LDB says all depositions completed except new TES and the remaining experts.

JA - 2 defense experts are scheduled, waiting for the expert info. Furton is next week.

HHJP - Re-emphasizing that a lot of planning is needed for the out of town jury. Lunch will be from Noon-1:30, unless things move slow, then will be reduced to 1 hour, so pack a lunch.

HHJP requests sidebar with court reporter (JA says your so damn funny to CM during this)

HHJP - Anything else....... No one responds.

HHJP - 2 weeks notice for location of jury selection, asks if there are any objections to media groups being notified, make it known. Court adjourns.

Fantastic!!! You my friend are brilliant! If only the defense could leave the courtroom with your organized notes. They always appear dazed and confused frankly, with a very poor understanding of what the judge just ruled on.
I don't know why they don't just buy a two hundred dollar digital recorder and save all the hearings, so if they need their memory refreshed, they have it all straight from the judge's mouth. For all of their note taking, it does not seem to work well for them.

HHMB cited lodging, meals, security 24/7 which would include overtime pay of LE, medications, dentist/doctor services, transportation, etc. when he came up with the $350,000.

They're going to pay for meds? Doctors??

Quick! Fly me to Fl. and see if I could get a chance to be on the jury. :innocent:

Casey will cop a plea stating Florida's laws make it impossible for her to have a fair and impartial trial. Look how unjustly they treated my boy JB.

She'll throw down the martyr card, as learned from her mother.

I may be completely crazy, but reading that made me remember something about a case where a guy pled guilty, and he got snotty or something during the part where he admits what he did. The judge refused to accept his guilty plea because of it. I think it eventually concluded with the judge accepting the plea, but not for sure. Does this ring a bell with anyone else?

I bet she won't like that. I get this vision in my head that she's quite happy and cozy where she's at. Now she has to start all over again (albeit only for awhile). Then she gets to move again when convicted ;)

MOOOOOOnly

Mel

LOL, I hope someone gets her cell she's grown all happy and cozy in while she's away on her little vacay and she has to move to a different cell when she gets back. Maybe it will jar her a little bit, as wouldn't this technically be the second longest place she has ever lived, bwaa haa haa?

Forgive me please, I haven't yet read this entire thread, but I wanted to bring up the $350,000. Has anybody come to a conclusion on what this cost would cover? Considering hotel bills, meals, security, a fax/admin whatever service, transportation to and from the courthouse daily, times 18 (generously) jurors times 60 days... I come up with about $15,000. What kind of breakdown can be expected in this grand total of three hundred and fifty thousand fish? Thanks for insight and knowledge!

I have been flying recently ,for a gov't position.The first 2 flights I paid for and was reimbursed. Now my flights are booked through an agency that the gov't pays for directly. The rate has been double to triple what I had been paying for the same flight!!! The agent said that's the gov't contract rate.:eek:
My guess is ,the State is paying a higher rate. Booking rooms for 15-20 people for 8 weeks,meals brought in ......add security, movies,cable set to only play specific channels,jurors with special dietary requirements.....It adds up.

There's that new place at Goldenrod and 408. They could go there. It has a kitchenette, cable, internet and all. I think it's around 280.00 per week. Or they could try priceline.com they have some great deals. I wish JBP would let me shop around I'd get him some great deals with coupons and all. :D

Lol, I go past that place all the time and yes it would be perfect and a great price!

This is what really tics me off: the prosecution wanted a gag order in the beginning of this whole court mess...but the defense objected and paraded themselves all over the country on TV shows and news programs, then cried foul when they decided all that exposure wouldn't allow their client a fair trial. Personally, I agree with many other posters that Baez orchestrated this whole thing just for his own exposure and i believe is now milking local home and business owners to pay for his face being plastered all over the media countrywide. The defense are the ones that created the atmosphere that they now say won't allow the "mother of the year" to get a fair trial in Orlando. If this hadn't become a Ringling Brothers event with Baez as the ringmaster, it wouldn't be necessary to bring in jurors from out of the area.

Since I blame that on Baez and company... I think he should pay to house the outside jurors and pay any and all additional costs over and above what it would normally cost to seat a local jury. I figure that would about break even with what most attorneys would pay for similar advertising in a two year period. As a business owner in Orlando and Orange County, I'm paying for this prolonged circus. Other inmates don't get this drawn out drama...complete with private cell and lawyers paid out of my pocket...why? Because the attorneys blew the money they did get from the photos sold to tabloids and TV shows. This whole situation is disgusting and poor Caylee, the victim, is just an afterthought to her mother and her "Dream Team" fiasco. Where is the justice for this child? Two years to go to trial? The people she loved fighting to free the person held in her death? The taxpayers of Orlando paying for her defense when most of us agree she's guilty? What's wrong with this picture?

The line of the day in the hearing IMO was:

Jose Baez: I realize there is not a strong likelihood of my objection surviving"

Check back in a little while for links to InSession coverage of today. TWA will upload my recordings and post links when she has them done!

Hey guys - didn't want to leave you hanging on this. TWA doesn't have a paid youtube and the videos (3 of them) are over 15 min so if someone has a paid account and wants to upload them - hit my inbox. Otherwise, if there is still interest maybe Muzikman will upload them when he sees my message.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname