2016.02.23 Jimmy Ray Rodgers booked into Lee County Jail

Out of the 3 Stooges, CWW was the "smartest" & first to cut a deal--JRR & MS had ample time to confess and plea-out but nope; epic fail.

I bet JRR will eventually get a sentence as significant as the "mastermind's" MS !!!

I wonder if a quick guilty plea would be the sensible thing for JRR to do now. The evidence plus CWW's testimony has to be pretty damning.

Then there's the state of flux with Florida's death penalty.

POSTED:FEB 25 2016

The man accused of murdering his best friend and roommate asked to plead guilty Thursday in order to avoid the death penalty...

...The judge, Kimberly Fernandez sided with the defense.

"There currently is no statue in affect, at this time in the state of Florida, for the imposition of the death penalty, " Fernandez said.

So until legislators change the law, the state's death penalty is on hold and defendants like Charles Foster can dodge it all together.

http://www.fox13news.com/news/local-news/97657749-story

I wonder if a quick guilty plea would be the sensible thing for JRR to do now. The evidence plus CWW's testimony has to be pretty damning.

Then there's the state of flux with Florida's death penalty.

Man, that is disheartening. So until the legislators fix the state of the death penalty in Florida, all of these brutal murderers can just plea out? I wonder how long it will take to "fix" the death penalty statute. They will have to draft new laws, get them approved, and then implement. That sounds like it could take forever. Meanwhile, all of the defense lawyers will be recommending everyone plea out quickly to avoid the DP. There are several recent, brutal murders in this area alone that could be affected by this, that would probably have been DP cases. The triple murder in Lehigh Acres involving the pregnant girl, the quadruple murder of the family in Iona. Jesus. Not to mention the older ones tied up in the courts now, and the ones in other areas of Florida. Which makes me think of another issue. What about charges that are waiting to be upgraded by grand juries? Could these defendants suddenly waive their rights to a speedy trial, and plead guilty to their current lesser charges? JRR and MS are only currently charged with Murder 2

Man, that is disheartening. So until the legislators fix the state of the death penalty in Florida, all of these brutal murderers can just plea out? I wonder how long it will take to "fix" the death penalty statute. They will have to draft new laws, get them approved, and then implement. That sounds like it could take forever. Meanwhile, all of the defense lawyers will be recommending everyone plea out quickly to avoid the DP. There are several recent, brutal murders in this area alone that could be affected by this, that would probably have been DP cases. The triple murder in Lehigh Acres involving the pregnant girl, the quadruple murder of the family in Iona. Jesus. Not to mention the older ones tied up in the courts now, and the ones in other areas of Florida. Which makes me think of another issue. What about charges that are waiting to be upgraded by grand juries? Could these defendants suddenly waive their rights to a speedy trial, and plead guilty to their current lesser charges? JRR and MS are only currently charged with Murder 2

No worries, really. There are only a few States that actually apply the DP and execute.
So the perps in FL will just rot in prison for very long periods of time until legislature sorts it out.
I feel it is cheaper than the DP anyway which winds up costing taxpayers tons of monies in appeals, imo

Out of the 3 Stooges, CWW was the "smartest" & first to cut a deal--JRR & MS had ample time to confess and plea-out but nope; epic fail.

I bet JRR will eventually get a sentence as significant as the "mastermind's" MS !!!

Actually I think CWW just ended up with the smartest lawyer who laid all the facts out on the table for him and told him that his bs stories just aren't going to work anymore. Told him to save himself or he's going to be sitting on death row.

Eta: I forget our dp was on hold. Change that to lwop

Actually I think CWW just ended up with the smartest lawyer who laid all the facts out on the table for him and told him that his bs stories just aren't going to work anymore. Told him to save himself or he's going to be sitting on death row.

Eta: I forget our dp was on hold. Change that to lwop
Agreed. I also think the DA was more interested in cutting a deal with CWW than JRR as CWW'S testimony would be stronger and more detailed. Now that CWW has plead guilty JR will plead guilty as well IMO.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Agreed. I also think the DA was more interested in cutting a deal with CWW than JRR as CWW'S testimony would be stronger and more detailed. Now that CWW has plead guilty JR will plead guilty as well IMO.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was always a little nervous if JRR plea bargained that he had enough info to nab MS. Would he have enough info to nail CWW? Yes, but I thought there could always be a reasonable doubt argument made since it hasn't been shown that MS even knew that JRR was going to be an assistant to the murder. None of that matters any more. Whew!

I think you hit the nail on the head. I was always a little nervous if JRR plea bargained that he had enough info to nab MS. Would he have enough info to nail CWW? Yes, but I thought there could always be a reasonable doubt argument made since it hasn't been shown that MS even knew that JRR was going to be an assistant to the murder. None of that matters any more. Whew!

Me too!

we need to hope that this case doesn't end with three pleas. Sievers should go to the chair....I'm ok if JRR gets life. CWW already has his path in life....he'll be a broke loser old guy and will die as a miserable nobody in MO.

I'm curious if JRR can plea and also testify against MS? I've seen cases where there have been 2 hired killers but none as complicated as this one with CWW possibly bringing JRR in without MS knowing until after (we don't know that bc remember wedding photos) so is it possible both can testify against him if they plead guilty to 2nd degree?

I'm curious if JRR can plea and also testify against MS? I've seen cases where there have been 2 hired killers but none as complicated as this one with CWW possibly bringing JRR in without MS knowing until after (we don't know that bc remember wedding photos) so is it possible both can testify against him if they plead guilty to 2nd degree?
JR may not be offered a deal; but if he pleads guilty and saves the state from a trial he just might be better off than going through a jury trial. It would seem so but IDK. Maybe the court or DA would offer some leniency in sentencing if he plead guilty.

I think the timing of CWW confession speaks volumes. It was down to one of them getting a deal and his lawyer was smart enough to tell him to jump on it before JR got there. They dont need JR now. jmo.

I think the timing of CWW confession speaks volumes. It was down to one of them getting a deal and his lawyer was smart enough to tell him to jump on it before JR got there. They dont need JR now. jmo.

Hopefully SMS said to CWW, "text SMOTHER when you're ready to roll on MS". Smother an ex-brother....I love it!

Agreed. And there won't be anymore plea deals IMO, they don't need it.

There could always be the possibility that JR and CWW will not be tried together, but instead will have separate trials. I know this happens sometimes, but don't know what are the parameters for two people involved in the same murder being tried in separate trails.
If CWW plead guilty, why would there be need for a trial?

If CWW plead guilty, why would there be need for a trial?

Yes, things have changed since 2/21 (date of referred to post )...no CWW trial would be expected now with the plea of CWW.

I guess the question is now will JRR and Mark have the same trial. :thinking: I don't know, but I would lean more to separate trials if indeed they had no interaction at all.

Additionally, mods are discussing how this guity plea / no trial might impact future CWW doc dumps on the Paypal thread fyi

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
squidsquidsquid
Back