2020 Hurricane Season Starting Early, "High Activity" Expected This Year

Eta can't make up her d*mn mind who she wants to annoy. Now there's 2 more storms. How many days left in 2020? Mercy.

From the National Hurricane Center:
235313.png

Well, tag I guess I’m it..... At 7:15am we had steady light rain and just a little wind. Foster furbaby scurried out, did his thing and came right back in. No sun beaming today! Stay tuned.

Flhurricane.com

Reports from a NOAA Hurricane Hunter aircraft and Doppler radar data indicate that Eta has re-strengthened into a hurricane offshore thesouthwestern coast of Florida, with maximum sustained winds of 75 mph (120 km/h), with higher gusts.

Lost power about 10 minutes ago. We are under a tornado watch/warning. Foster pup is snoozing in my lap completely unperturbed. Thankfully.

My youngest works for a vet and they closed early. Glad my girl is not driving in this. She is 3-4 miles south and still has power.

My oldest is an hour south and she’s getting hammered too. She said the wind was so strong it sounded like someone was pounding on her door. Fortunately she is off today. Her field work for tomorrow has been cancelled.

Attachments

• 3CEDEFCE-3050-4E9C-8D9A-C60F670E44E4.jpeg
    3CEDEFCE-3050-4E9C-8D9A-C60F670E44E4.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 3
Received two alerts on my cell phone, one this morning about a storm surge, another about ten minutes ago for a tornado in my area.

So delightful working from home with weather like this but at least I don't have to commute to work nor go anywhere else.

Time for a cup of hot chocolate :)

Lost power about 10 minutes ago. We are under a tornado watch/warning. Foster pup is snoozing in my lap completely unperturbed. Thankfully.

My youngest works for a vet and they closed early. Glad my girl is not driving in this. She is 3-4 miles south and still has power.

My oldest is an hour south and she’s getting hammered too. She said the wind was so strong it sounded like someone was pounding on her door. Fortunately she is off today. Her field work for tomorrow has been cancelled.

Losing power has been a concern all day for me being busy working from home - laptop battery could probably last an hour or so - I could always alert my supervisor of what happened...the good news is I did not lose power although it did flicker for a moment this morning.

Still no power and FPL has no timeframe for restoration. There’s about 5,000 of us affected. Foster pup and I are headed to bed. I have a metal hurricane shutter on my bedroom window.

Lots of sustained winds and continuous downpours with sideways rain. This seems normal for a Cat 1 storm. Radar doesn’t look much different from earlier. Band after band of heavy rain. I haven’t noticed any lightening or thunder.

The swell in my backyard is moving water. Some small dead branches fell from my oak trees out back. I’m very thankful I had 2 dead trees in my front yard removed a few weeks ago. They would have hit my house, fence and the neighbors.

Attachments

• EAF530E7-84C3-4EFD-AD04-79853ACF5731.jpeg
    EAF530E7-84C3-4EFD-AD04-79853ACF5731.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 4
Still no power and FPL has no timeframe for restoration. There’s about 5,000 of us affected. Foster pup and I are headed to bed. I have a metal hurricane shutter on my bedroom window.

Lots of sustained winds and continuous downpours with sideways rain. This seems normal for a Cat 1 storm. Radar doesn’t look much different from earlier. Band after band of heavy rain. I haven’t noticed any lightening or thunder.

The swell in my backyard is moving water. Some small dead branches fell from my oak trees out back. I’m very thankful I had 2 dead trees in my front yard removed a few weeks ago. They would have hit my house, fence and the neighbors.
Hopefully you and pup can get some sleep!

Got up for our middle of the night potty break at 2:00am. Took the pup out back and even in the dark, I could tell the backyard was a swamp. By 7:00am a lot of water had receded. There’s a natural swell to the land that moves the water.

Lots of small oak limbs everywhere. I’ll play Pick Up Sticks tomorrow. The ground is saturated but in the FL heat will dry out quickly.

The power came back on at 2:30am, thankfully.

Attachments

• 94C79B1C-CDCC-4AD2-ABF6-6932AB0362E6.jpeg
    94C79B1C-CDCC-4AD2-ABF6-6932AB0362E6.jpeg
    180.7 KB · Views: 32
  • BE2449E1-EE5A-45BD-90BD-24D43409B7E3.jpeg
    BE2449E1-EE5A-45BD-90BD-24D43409B7E3.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 31
Tropical Storm Iota strengthens, aims for storm-ravaged Central America as a major hurricane, NHC says

Tropical Storm Iota is expected to become a major Category 3 hurricane and bring dangerous storm surge, strong winds and heavy rainfall to Central America into early next week, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Seriously - what alphabet do they use when they run out of the Greek letters? Use Persian letters?

Almost has a far worse experience than a hurricane happen to me today - drove down to Bonita Springs and on my way back home on the highway, an adult male deer complete with antlers starts prancing towards my car (I was in the right lane) from my right POV and suddenly stops about 15 feet from the asphalt. Happened near North Port where the Myakka State Park extends into the city. To make matters worse I glanced in my rearview mirror and there's a ton of cars behind me. Can you imaging what would have happened if I got hit and cause a chain reaction?!

I suspect Bambi's father leaped back over the fence and into the park where he was safer.

Tropical Storm Iota strengthens, aims for storm-ravaged Central America as a major hurricane, NHC says

Tropical Storm Iota is expected to become a major Category 3 hurricane and bring dangerous storm surge, strong winds and heavy rainfall to Central America into early next week, according to the National Hurricane Center.

Seriously - what alphabet do they use when they run out of the Greek letters? Use Persian letters?

Almost has a far worse experience than a hurricane happen to me today - drove down to Bonita Springs and on my way back home on the highway, an adult male deer complete with antlers starts prancing towards my car (I was in the right lane) from my right POV and suddenly stops about 15 feet from the asphalt. Happened near North Port where the Myakka State Park extends into the city. To make matters worse I glanced in my rearview mirror and there's a ton of cars behind me. Can you imaging what would have happened if I got hit and cause a chain reaction?!

I suspect Bambi's father leaped back over the fence and into the park where he was safer.

A close call! Glad he decided not to hit you.

Makes you wonder if there will be any land left much less infrastructure or people.

Tropical Tidbits

Hurricane #Iota went through a period of incredible rapid intensification last night, and now has max winds of ~155-160 mph, making it one of the strongest storms we have seen in November. With landfall in Nicaragua expected tonight, catastrophic impacts are expected

From the National Hurricane Center:
Hurricane Iota Forecast Discussion

...This is a catastrophic situation unfolding for northeastern Nicaragua with an extreme storm surge of 15-20 ft forecast along with destructive winds and potentially 30 inches of rainfall, and it is exacerbated by the fact that it should make landfall in almost the exact same location that category 4 Hurricane Eta did
about two weeks ago.

Key Messages:

1. Iota is expected to remain a catastrophic category 5 hurricane when it approaches the coast of Nicaragua tonight. Extreme winds and a life-threatening storm surge are expected along portions of the coast of northeastern Nicaragua, where a hurricane warning is in effect.

2. Through Thursday, heavy rainfall from Iota will likely lead to life-threatening flash flooding and river flooding across portions of Central America. Flooding and mudslides in Honduras and Nicaragua could be exacerbated by Hurricane Eta’s recent effects there, resulting in significant to potentially catastrophic impacts.

3. Hurricane conditions and storm surge impacts are likely still occurring on Providencia. Tropical storm conditions are expected and hurricane conditions are possible on San Andres.

Prayers for all in the path of this powerful hurricane.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back