a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had several jurors approach us and apologize it took so long. The said they were unanimous in the first 30 min but took the rest to view all of the evidence. Several also attended the sentencing hearing sitting behind our family.

If you dont mind me asking. How long did it take for the jurors in all to come back with the verdict? Also how long was the trial?

If you dont mind me asking. How long did it take for the jurors in all to come back with the verdict? Also how long was the trial?

2 trials: 5 weeks and 3 weeks (as i recall). First verdict 6 hrs, second 3 hrs

I just LOVE a typo that changes the meaning of something in a funny way! This time it was a downright DEVIANT way -- it changes the way I envisioned it to an entirely different interpretation :floorlaugh:

This is so o/t, but on my very first post here, I started with hi webslueths, and auto correct kept changing it to hi web slithers! OMG. I nearly posted it without checking, prolly woulda been banned on day one! :blushing:

Biggirl, thank you very much for your comments and insight from a bailiff's perspective. Very interesting! I had no idea the jury could talk to the judge, prosecutor, or family after the verdict-- I sort of pictured the jury beating feet out the back door and disappearing back into society, lol! I know next to nothing about what a bailiff overseeing a jury does, and I'd love to hear more about that job-- if you would be so kind as to share! :)

Does every jury get a bailiff assigned, or only if it is high profile, or a murder case?

What exactly does a bailiff "do" while the jury is deliberating? Is the bailiff in the room with the jury? If not, how does the jury contact the bailiff? Phone? Pager? Does the bailiff only assist with trial issues, such as obtaining evidence, or do they help with personal issues such as getting a message to a family member about what time they will be home? Etc? I know the jury isn't supposed to use cell phones, but with a non-sequestered jury, there must be a multitude of "real life" type issues that also must be juggled by the deliberating jury!

Is the bailiff the one to contact the judge if they jury has questions?

Thanks for any insight into this "hidden" job! It's very interesting!

And Katiecoolady (or any others), did you ever have the opportunity to talk with jurors from the trial? I guess I never imagined a victim's family being able to talk directly with jurors after a guilty verdict, but I suppose all the admonitions are finished at that point. What an intense and emotional experience that would be, for both a juror and a family member.

Hi, I would be happy to share my experiences with the disclaimer that I was a bailiff in a different State in a felony Court of a major County in that State.

All trials in our Court have a permanent full time bailiff that is assigned to each Courtroom. The Judges pick their bailiffs and the bailiff is someone that works closely with the Judge and Attorneys and all personnel. We worked with Jury on ALL trials, civil and criminal. Only during capital murder trials were we sequestered during deliberations only.

In a Capital murder case the Judge would swear me in with another person to act as an "assistant bailiff" with the Jury. We would work hand in hand with the deputies to make sure that during lunches or smoke breaks or just walks outside to get fresh air, there was no interference from the public. When we stayed in a hotel overnight the deputies stayed with us and so we had security in the halls at all times. We never let anyone other than the Jurors on the elevators etc.

I was not in the room during deliberations. We had a light system. There was a green light and a red light. When the Jury was actively deliberating the red light was on. That way the press and attorneys and staff (myself included) knew they were busy. When they had a question they would turn on the green light with the red light and I would go into the Jury room to get the question that they had to have in writing and signed by the foreperson. (date and time also) I would take the question to the Judge and he would have me get the attorneys and court reporter together. The question was then answered by consensus of all parties and put on the record. The answer was put in writing and returned to the Jury. When they reached a verdict they turned off the red light and turned on the green light. I would confirm they had reached a verdict and let them know it would take some time to get everyone together and so they had time to put the exhibits back in order and take a restroom break. (The Jury rooms were equipped with 2 bathrooms and coffee etc.

Yes, I took care of any of their needs. Calls to family, more coffee, more chalk or pens for erasure board. Anything they needed.

If this Jury comes back with M1 and LWOP they will then be free to talk to media or family. If they come back with M1 and death, they must wait to talk until the Judge accepts that verdict. At least that is how it is in our county. If they go into the mitigation phase of the trial after an M1 verdict they still are not free to talk until the final punishment is determined and the Judge excuses them from service.

In all my years with many many different types of criminal trials I only had one Jury that I felt made the wrong decision. My Judge and the attorneys would not even talk to them afterward.

I hope this helps a bit. I know when I would open the door (always knocked first) to check on the Jury, I could sense their mood. Frustration or cohesive or divided. But NEVER were they allowed to talk to me about the status of their deliberations. It was all observation.

The fact that these Jurors are laughing and talking when heading out for the day and not asking any questions of the Court I feel shows they "get it" and just need time to work through everything.

After capital trials I had several Juries that had reunions. They get so close. I always tried to go when I could. They become family. They also had nick names for all the parties in the courtroom. The see EVERYTHING and I would bet they are heartbroken for Travis' family.

Like our KCL, I have faith!

Biggirl, thank you very much for your comments and insight from a bailiff's perspective. Very interesting! I had no idea the jury could talk to the judge, prosecutor, or family after the verdict-- I sort of pictured the jury beating feet out the back door and disappearing back into society, lol! I know next to nothing about what a bailiff overseeing a jury does, and I'd love to hear more about that job-- if you would be so kind as to share! :)

Does every jury get a bailiff assigned, or only if it is high profile, or a murder case?

What exactly does a bailiff "do" while the jury is deliberating? Is the bailiff in the room with the jury? If not, how does the jury contact the bailiff? Phone? Pager? Does the bailiff only assist with trial issues, such as obtaining evidence, or do they help with personal issues such as getting a message to a family member about what time they will be home? Etc? I know the jury isn't supposed to use cell phones, but with a non-sequestered jury, there must be a multitude of "real life" type issues that also must be juggled by the deliberating jury!

Is the bailiff the one to contact the judge if they jury has questions?

Thanks for any insight into this "hidden" job! It's very interesting!

And Katiecoolady (or any others), did you ever have the opportunity to talk with jurors from the trial? I guess I never imagined a victim's family being able to talk directly with jurors after a guilty verdict, but I suppose all the admonitions are finished at that point. What an intense and emotional experience that would be, for both a juror and a family member.

When i was the foreman on DP case in GA in 2008 . After the trial the judge Mary Staley who presided over the case came in the jury room & talked to us,she thanked us for our service + I received another letter from her and the court thanking me for keeping jury inline.

2 trials: 5 weeks and 3 weeks (as i recall). First verdict 6 hrs, second 3 hrs

Wow.. thank you for the info.. I am not worried.. I just want to know when so I can do some other work.. LOL.. If it takes til Friday, I am still not concerned with the verdict. Each day when it is about 6 pm EST, I just give up on the day because I know if a verdict was decided they would wait til morning. Why stay late for the court when the court never respected the jurors waiting even though I am sure they are considering the victims family though and will come back with the verdict asap. Every time I try to think about myself and not being able to complete task because my mind is so on the outcome, I consider that I have no right to be anxious when the Alexander's need this outcome resolved for their lives forever.

Just a little bit off topic (and not my true feelings at all), but just wondering if Jean C. is supposed to play "devil's advocate" and slide her observations a bit so as to give some doubt, thus giving us a different prospective, or keeping us tuned in for more? Does that make sense? Otherwise, there is no explanation for her seeing something entirely different from what Beth and others saw.

Jane Velez Mitchell also needs to tone it down. She doesn't need to be so over-dramatic. Speaking of JVM, she seems to be much smaller/shorter than I thought!

Family friend, eh?? What a small world!! That's AWESOME!! I love it when things start falling in to place!! I also feel good about today ;)

Bishop Sheen befriended my grandparents when my Aunt Suzanne was in the hospital with leukemia. She passed away after a 8 month battle, at the age of 5. Bishop Sheen remained a close friend for years..Sunday dinners, etc. My mom went through old letters last night looking for this verse. So when I saw you quote it this morning I just knew it was going to be a blessed day!! THANKS! Justice for Travis!!!!!!

Sorry Admins for the OT...

I really hope that if there are one or two "hold outs" that the ones with brains say no, no compromise, we'll hang. No more lowering to the lowest common denominator. Enough already. Stupidity be damned.

I would hate a hung jury but would prefer that at least, there would be an opportunity for justice to be served. Let her wait it out another 1,2, 3 years...The second time around usually hits home base. Much better than her hanging out with KC.

moo

I thought I read that here in AZ, the jury doesn't have to completely agree.. that they can be 8-4 on M1 and majority rules... guess I need to saddle over to the legal thread and find out. But just in case, does anyone here know??

A -NEWS-JUNKIE

Thank you for the beautiful avatar - I love it!!

I thought I read that here in AZ, the jury doesn't have to completely agree.. that they can be 8-4 on M1 and majority rules... guess I need to saddle over to the legal thread and find out. But just in case, does anyone here know??

In the legal thread, AZlawyer said the decision for M1 has to be unanimous, but a "split" between premeditation and felony is still a verdict of M1. Meaning, 11 could vote M1- premed, and 1 vote M1- felony, and it is still M1. Then it would go to the aggravation/ penalty phase for LWOP vs DP.

Advance apologies, but what time do they start back deliberating today? 9:00, or 10:00? I haven't turned on the TV or checked yet, thought it would be quicker to get a reply here. Thanks!!!

Woke up feeling real positive this morning...only will listen to Beth, because she truly is the voice of reason, and to KCL, because she has walked down this difficult path before.

Prayers up for the clarity of vision for our jurors, and strength of character to see all the way through!

Justice for Travis Alexander, and peace for his loving family and friends.

I just LOVE a typo that changes the meaning of something in a funny way! This time it was a downright DEVIANT way -- it changes the way I envisioned it to an entirely different interpretation :

:floorlaugh: OMG - TOO funny! Thanks for the giggle. Stupid fingers. :blushing: Why do they get in the way of my brain!

Just call it a "Sparrow moment"...I'm quite famous for those around here. :facepalm:

Sorry to everyone if I offended anyone about my "JC looked like sh**." I truly didn't mean it THAT way. I was upset, but didn't mean derogatory towards her. I meant she looked tired and big bags under her eyes. I shouldn't have wrote that. I did think her dress was very pretty.

Off to try to grow some good food here. Thanks to all of you!

Sparrow
PS - Keeping the faith here too. Candle still lit in window since Friday at deliberations.:rockon:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member