a view from the inside: observations from our own court observers #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had several jurors approach us and apologize it took so long. The said they were unanimous in the first 30 min but took the rest to view all of the evidence. Several also attended the sentencing hearing sitting behind our family.

If you don't mind me asking, how long did the jury deliberate? My SIL's murderers jury was out almost 26 hours, and came back with a unanimous guilty verdict. So, I am not worried about this jury taking their time.

Sorry KCL, I read your answer in one of your posts.

What do you mean about 3pm? TIA KCL, stay strong and know that you are loved by many!!

:seeya: snowflakes! I asked KCL the same thing a few posts ago... Here is her response:

At the same time yesterday a GMA producer said she had "odds" on that time (Wed 3pm ) and my colleague texted me (who's not following this trial) saying she was thinking a verdict 3pm today. Dododo....Katie Wick has been saying all week she thinks today after lunch.

In watching some of JMs closing this am , I'm reminded he's asking them to come back w a vote for 1st degree on both premeditation AND felony murder. Wouldn't it be something if they come back with a flush for both? I think the latter is more dicey and I could see how,it could require more conversation.

Feeling rested and confident this am. :seeya:

Yes, and haven't we all looked back at her initial answers in the interrogations and the defense version. The interrogations were so early in the trial, I imagine they are watching hours of that and I do believe they are looking to see what she said about the gas cans/priceline/hair ect when the defense questioned her. I think there is a lot of refreshing and confirming of facts. Is that how it works?

Hi, I would be happy to share my experiences with the disclaimer that I was a bailiff in a different State in a felony Court of a major County in that State.

All trials in our Court have a permanent full time bailiff that is assigned to each Courtroom. The Judges pick their bailiffs and the bailiff is someone that works closely with the Judge and Attorneys and all personnel. We worked with Jury on ALL trials, civil and criminal. Only during capital murder trials were we sequestered during deliberations only.

In a Capital murder case the Judge would swear me in with another person to act as an "assistant bailiff" with the Jury. We would work hand in hand with the deputies to make sure that during lunches or smoke breaks or just walks outside to get fresh air, there was no interference from the public. When we stayed in a hotel overnight the deputies stayed with us and so we had security in the halls at all times. We never let anyone other than the Jurors on the elevators etc.

I was not in the room during deliberations. We had a light system. There was a green light and a red light. When the Jury was actively deliberating the red light was on. That way the press and attorneys and staff (myself included) knew they were busy. When they had a question they would turn on the green light with the red light and I would go into the Jury room to get the question that they had to have in writing and signed by the foreperson. (date and time also) I would take the question to the Judge and he would have me get the attorneys and court reporter together. The question was then answered by consensus of all parties and put on the record. The answer was put in writing and returned to the Jury. When they reached a verdict they turned off the red light and turned on the green light. I would confirm they had reached a verdict and let them know it would take some time to get everyone together and so they had time to put the exhibits back in order and take a restroom break. (The Jury rooms were equipped with 2 bathrooms and coffee etc.

Yes, I took care of any of their needs. Calls to family, more coffee, more chalk or pens for erasure board. Anything they needed.

If this Jury comes back with M1 and LWOP they will then be free to talk to media or family. If they come back with M1 and death, they must wait to talk until the Judge accepts that verdict. At least that is how it is in our county. If they go into the mitigation phase of the trial after an M1 verdict they still are not free to talk until the final punishment is determined and the Judge excuses them from service.

In all my years with many many different types of criminal trials I only had one Jury that I felt made the wrong decision. My Judge and the attorneys would not even talk to them afterward.

I hope this helps a bit. I know when I would open the door (always knocked first) to check on the Jury, I could sense their mood. Frustration or cohesive or divided. But NEVER were they allowed to talk to me about the status of their deliberations. It was all observation.

The fact that these Jurors are laughing and talking when heading out for the day and not asking any questions of the Court I feel shows they "get it" and just need time to work through everything.

After capital trials I had several Juries that had reunions. They get so close. I always tried to go when I could. They become family. They also had nick names for all the parties in the courtroom. The see EVERYTHING and I would bet they are heartbroken for Travis' family.

Like our KCL, I have faith!

THANK YOU so much for your insight, love reading your experiences!!!

Except for a verdict, which HLN cannot control, most everything else is scripted. The debates, the interviews, the sensationalistic words used. It's all geared to GRAB ATTENTION and increase ratings. They know exactly how to manipulate their audience for maximum effect. And, like sheep, the viewers fall right in line, reacting just as HLN had planned. Outrage! Shock! THEY WANT ATTENTION!

If you don't mind being manipulated keep watching HLN... It's right up there (or down there, if you will) with tabloid crap. HLN has devolved into the trailer trash of cable, which is amazing since they have lots of competition in the trailer trash category.

THANK YOU so much for your insight, love reading your experiences!!!
Thank you, you are sweet.

The absolute best thing about my job as a bailiff for almost 20 years was my Juries. They were such a joy. I would bet this Jury has become very close to Valerie since she is their link to the Court and has to answer their everyday questions.

Once while in a high profile death case I got all my 16 Jurors (12 reg and 4 alternates) stuck in the Judges private elevator with me. We had just returned from lunch and they were ready to kill me. We laughed so hard. 15 minutes later we were rescued and they ran for the bathrooms and I had to go into the courtroom and face the attorneys, Judge and media. Of course one of the Deputies had announced to all of them that I had gotten our Jury stuck. One of the Jurors was a cartoon artist and sent me a cartoon after the trial of all of us in the elevator and what they were saying to me. Good memories and a good verdict too.

That is why I just know when all is said and done they will still feel close to the court personnel they have gotten to know.

Justice for Tracis! I have faith!

Thank you, you are sweet.

The absolute best thing about my job as a bailiff for almost 20 years was my Juries. They were such a joy. I would bet this Jury has become very close to Valerie since she is their link to the Court and has to answer their everyday questions.

Once while in a high profile death case I got all my 16 Jurors (12 reg and 4 alternates) stuck in the Judges private elevator with me. We had just returned from lunch and they were ready to kill me. We laughed so hard. 15 minutes later we were rescued and they ran for the bathrooms and I had to go into the courtroom and face the attorneys, Judge and media. Of course one of the Deputies had announced to all of them that I had gotten our Jury stuck. One of the Jurors was a cartoon artist and sent me a cartoon after the trial of all of us in the elevator and what they were saying to me. Good memories and a good verdict too.

That is why I just know when all is said and done they will still feel close to the court personnel they have gotten to know.

Justice for Tracis! I have faith!

---

Truely a "hung jury!"

question about the jurors: when they come in every day, do they wear a JUROR badge outside of the courthouse? also wondering if the crowd outside displays any kind of pro Travis visual ? Do the jurors see the press interviewing people and JVM's studio as they enter and exit the courthouse? Do the jurors park onsite or do they have shuttle bring them in?

---

Truely a "hung jury!"

They all agreed that unless we were "rescued soon" I would not come out alive. It was so funny. The facilities people for the building were no help at all. My Judge is the one that got on the phone (there was a phone on the elevator) and walked me through turning on the air so we had air to circulate. We were cramped in there like sardines. I didn't do that again.

BTW.. saw over on court's case history web site that DT filed a motion today for Victim Impact Statement.

Any reports on jurors dress this morning?
I'm hoping to hear they look spiffy. Please let this be over.

Just checking in during my lunch break... Thanks, rdhdbychoice for your post. It was interesting, informative, and has put me at ease. Still praying for the Alexander family and friends, all the insiders (KCL, etc.) and the WS'ers that hope for justice.

OMG... MC Superior Court Tweet:

The jury has reached a verdict int he State v. Jodi Arias. The Verdict will be read at 1:30pm

I was worried up until an hr ago. :scared: Now my gut tells me it probably will be guilty 1 after their lunch hr. today. Not sure about death, but definitely murder in the first. Think about how confusing it can be with 12 people trying to express their thoughts. I know when I'm with my grown kids, it takes forever for everyone to talk and say what's on their mind. Opinions vary as much as people, all are individuals. :please:

BTW.. saw over on court's case history web site that DT filed a motion today for Victim Impact Statement.
court watchers on twitter report casual dress.. but locals there go lots of places in casual dress.

Finally!! It is here - will be watching on my computer praying it is the right one!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ