Found Deceased AK - Jaxson Brown, 5, hiking w/mom, Ketchikan, 26 Mar 2020

"The search is still on for Brown. He's described as white, 4-foot-2, weighing 70 pounds with blond hair and blue eyes. He was last seen wearing a black jacket and camoflague pants, troopers say."

Searchers find remains of missing Ketchikan 5-year-old

I've been to Ketchikan many times, lived in the area for years. Ketchikan has nice city parks and nearby trails where kids can run and play safely. Just finding it unusual that they went for a hike miles from town in the late afternoon, especially now in the spring when bears are coming out of hibernation. It's just not done.

Concerning are the reports saying remains were found. Usually they say a body was found.

If he was mauled by a bear, it could make an autopsy difficult to determine COD. MOO

State: Prepare for bears waking from hibernation

Alaska official: Prepare for bears waking from hibernation

Lots of bad choices here. It’s bizarre that a mom of a five year old would go on a hike at that hour, miles from town, IN DEEP SNOW. Also, reports are his shoe was found. How is that snow gear?

Then to leave a child that age? In those temps? I believe one would have to know that a child that age couldn’t survive the temperatures at night without even a mom to wrap around him and keep him warm.

Then there’s the wildlife which are probably pretty hungry at this time of the year?

Very odd situation. Is it possible mom wasn’t thinking clearly when she went on this hike to begin with? Could she have been stressed and had a breakdown of some sort such that she was unaware of what she was doing?

I recall that mother who was found pushing her baby in a swing for hours, in the cold. Just pushing and pushing. When the cops were finally called it was determined the baby had died in the swing. Mom had suffered some sort of psychosis.

I feel like someone native to that area would know not to take their young child hiking in deep snow, miles from town, three hours before sunset, on a difficult trail. And then leave them there to get help. Unless something was going on to prevent them from thinking clearly.

An example? Hypothetically, let’s say someone was a single parent with financial difficulties. That could be a huge stressor. Add to that a long winter. Just coming out of that. The winter can affect mood.

If someone had all that to contend with and then we add a frightening pandemic to the mix, it is possible that someone could break and not be able to think logically or clearly. And make choices that don’t make sense.

I don’t know. So sad for all involved.

Lots of bad choices here. It’s bizarre that a mom of a five year old would go on a hike at that hour, miles from town, IN DEEP SNOW. Also, reports are his shoe was found. How is that snow gear?

Then to leave a child that age? In those temps? I believe one would have to know that a child that age couldn’t survive the temperatures at night without even a mom to wrap around him and keep him warm.

Then there’s the wildlife which are probably pretty hungry at this time of the year?

Very odd situation. Is it possible mom wasn’t thinking clearly when she went on this hike to begin with? Could she have been stressed and had a breakdown of some sort such that she was unaware of what she was doing?

I recall that mother who was found pushing her baby in a swing for hours, in the cold. Just pushing and pushing. When the cops were finally called it was determined the baby had died in the swing. Mom had suffered some sort of psychosis.

I feel like someone native to that area would know not to take their young child hiking in deep snow, miles from town, three hours before sunset, on a difficult trail. And then leave them there to get help. Unless something was going on to prevent them from thinking clearly.

An example? Hypothetically, let’s say someone was a single parent with financial difficulties. That could be a huge stressor. Add to that a long winter. Just coming out of that. The winter can affect mood.

If someone had all that to contend with and then we add a frightening pandemic to the mix, it is possible that someone could break and not be able to think logically or clearly. And make choices that don’t make sense.

Very well said...

This is so well said & the swing tragedy is a great example.

I also liken this to leaving your child in a hot car, causing death. Sometimes clearly accidental, sometimes caused by stressors, sometimes intentional- meant to look like an accident. In each of these scenarios, sometimes charges are filed, sometimes not, irregardless of the stress/break that may have occurred.

I have no idea yet what is the appropriate legal path to justice here, but I do hope LE is thoroughly investigating all factors before, during & after JB’s death, including TOD & COD for sure. This little boy deserves this at the very least.

<modsnip> Very few people have "perfect" lives. I do think that we are going to see enough of an increase in people making strange choices that something like "pandemic psychosis" will become a thing.

I don't know if this will turn out to be related to that but I have noticed a huge uptick in less-than-rational thinking just on my personal social media. It's too subtle for me to really define at this point (other than noticeable increase in suicides). I doubt the overall statistics on accidental deaths will go up but I predict we'll see more here that are a result of odd choices about when people choose to spend time outdoors and where.

Like, perhaps in this case they usually would do activities indoors in the afternoons but the regular place is locked down so they tried to follow their normal schedule in the outdoors without really thinking it through or being adequately prepared.

Last edited by a moderator:
How could anyone, anyone, leave a five year old alone in the cold and dark? Mamma couldn't have known she'd injure herself, of course, but the possibility of an accident in those conditions was a circumstance that should have been taken into account. Maybe it was. I can't know. I just keep thinking and thinking. Weighing all options, this was the best choice? I just hurt imagining that baby's final hours.

MOD NOTE:
No public records are permitted to be posted and/or discussed here unless said person has been named as a POI by LE in MSM.

Please remember that as you discuss this case.

CocoChanel

Last edited by a moderator:
All members are expected to familiarize themselves with The Rules

Excerpt from The Rules: Etiquette & Information

VICTIM FRIENDLY

Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. Attacking or bashing a victim is not allowed. Discussing victim behavior, good or bad is fine, but do so in a civil and constructive way, and only when such behavior is relevant to the case.

The "victim friendly" rule extends to the family members of victims and suspects. Sleuthing family members, friends, and others who have not been designated as suspects is not allowed. Don't make random accusations, suggest their involvement, nor bash and attack them. Posting their personal information, including names, addresses, and background data -- even if it is public -- is not allowed. That does not mean, however, that statements made by family members and other third parties cannot come into discussion as the facts of the case are reported in the media.

Very few people have "perfect" lives. I do think that we are going to see enough of an increase in people making strange choices that something like "pandemic psychosis" will become a thing.

I don't know if this will turn out to be related to that but I have noticed a huge uptick in less-than-rational thinking just on my personal social media. It's too subtle for me to really define at this point (other than noticeable increase in suicides). I doubt the overall statistics on accidental deaths will go up but I predict we'll see more here that are a result of odd choices about when people choose to spend time outdoors and where.

Like, perhaps in this case they usually would do activities indoors in the afternoons but the regular place is locked down so they tried to follow their normal schedule in the outdoors without really thinking it through or being adequately prepared.
Great post. ^^^

I think that some people may become irrational due to Covid 19; but in this case there might have been other stress factors like you pointed out such as people choosing to be outdoors but are unprepared.
Doubtful that's what happened here but we will have to wait and see.
Wonder what the cod for Jaxon was ; has anyone read it somewhere ?
That would be public knowledge once it's released and may answer other questions.

bbm
Good points.

More will come out soon after the autopsy is completed.

Very tragic case - but I am thinking that the boy's mother panicked when they hit the deeper snow off the trail. Speaking as someone who has hiked in snow before - it can actually be very easy to get lost on a hiking trail you are not thoroughly familiar with - when it is covered in snow. Assuming of course it is sunny out, not snowing, and cloudy out.

Having said that - one piece of information that would help is her familiarity with the trail.

RIP Jaxson

Hadn’t seen this one before...
Says:
“Alaska State Troopers spokesman Megan Peters said that Jaxon’s death ‘doesn’t appear to be suspicious in nature.’

Also says:
“An autopsy will now be performed to establish how Jaxon died, with temperatures dipping below 40F (4.5C) on the night he and his mother got lost.”
Boy, 5, died 'after mother left him alone to get help when they got lost on snowy hiking trail' | Metro News
Respectfully, I don't see that first quote about not being suspicious in the article anywhere. I've gone over it more than a few times. I'd love if someone could show me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back