ARRESTED- Luka Rocco Magnotta:1st deg murder charge #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawyers can now move provinces easily
http://www.lawyersweekly.ca/index.php?section=article&articleid=1063

When in doubt, google. I love google. :D
It's a little more complicated than that for Quebec, and it seems the Quebec Mobility Agreement was only in effect until January of this year. :waitasec:

Maybe someone can figure out what the current status is in this document:

http://www.flsc.ca/_documents/Quebec-Mobility-Agreement-July-2010.pdf

or at the website of the Federation of Law Societies of Canada at:

http://www.flsc.ca/en/national-mobility-of-the-legal-profession/

but basically: if they're licensed with the Law Society of Quebec, they can practice (obvs) and, if I'm reading this correctly, a lawyer licensed in another province could apply tomorrow (still unclear what the current requirements are) to practice in Quebec either on a permanent or temporary basis.

I would think since LRM is expected to arrive in Canada within a few weeks that it'll be more likely that someone already currently licensed to practice under the Law Society of Quebec will represent him.

I agree with Greenspan. Maybe Derstine would like to take this case. :fence:

Thanks for the link. As I said yesterday, finding 12 people won't be a problem. We have almost 4 million people in Montreal. I doubt even 1% have seen the video.
And Derstine is fluent in both English and French :) I wonder if he's already licensed in Quebec ...

ETA: it's highly unlikely, as he's never had a case there yet.

ETA: just checked, and he's not

*Apologies if this has already been posted*

I googled and found this:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120611/skurka-spin-magnotta-fair-trial-120612/

It will be imperative for defence counsel to open to the jury at the outset of the trial and focus the jurors on the defence being presented. Is the defence that the wrong person is in the prisoner's box or is it that Magnotta lacks criminal responsibility for his violent conduct?

The trial judge will serve an important role as the gatekeeper of evidence to ensure that features of bad character, such as Magnotta's possible involvement in animal cruelty, are excluded from the trial.

In the end, if Luka Magnotta's right to a fair trial is trampled by a rush to judgment and revulsion, we all lose as Canadians. A bedrock of our democratic Charter values is that everyone, regardless of the crime alleged is entitled to the presumption of innocence. We don't make special rules for hard cases.

Read more: http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20120611/skurka-spin-magnotta-fair-trial-120612/#ixzz1xb1ykiq4

i read that article this morning and had a thought, that maybe someone more familiar with canadian law might be able to help me to understand.
while we know the prosecution cant really bring up the animal cruelty to attack his character. what happens if these charges are added to the list? do they need a separate trial for those charges?

I know there is no way of knowing where the missing body parts are, but it is most troubling.
If he had no plans for them, why didn't he dump them with the rest of the remains?

Its like waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Given all I have read about him, it seems he would have done something shocking with them, an attention grabber...
There is only one missing body part, and that is the head. Police have been clear about that.

One strange thing I noticed is that somewhere along the line Luka shaved off Jun Lin's pubic hair. Don't know why the hell I noticed that.

btw no *advertiser censored*.

whaaaaaat?
how do you know that LM did that?
many men do it...straight and gay....
there is zero evidence in the killvid that LM shaved the victim......and has nothing to do with being gay. ugh!

and why the disclaimer?!?! does it matter if a member here is gay or not or if anyone is? ugh, enough w/ it (to: the world).....

Based on time line, I think he arrived in Miami in 2010. I even found a profile on a dating website that appears to have been made by LM, dated August 2010, and I even reported it to the Miami Police department thanks to some encouraging folks here. That and the Lotus car post mentioned, also in August, make me think he arrived in the Miami area closer to that time. It completely sucks for the victim's family in Miami though as I'm sure all the new investigation stuff just makes it worse for them.

apparently he was in Toronto when he claimed to be in Miami (as per the dating site website admin. who traced his ISP) and the Lotus car pic was photoshopped - he pasted his head onto someone else's photo ...

i read that article this morning and had a thought, that maybe someone more familiar with canadian law might be able to help me to understand.
while we know the prosecution cant really bring up the animal cruelty to attack his character. what happens if these charges are added to the list? do they need a separate trial for those charges?
Yes, but I highly doubt that they will charge him for that, what with all the jurisdictional challenges, proof, etc. They've said it's really not a priority for them at this point

Personally I don't think LM had an accomplice, but, and i've posted about this a few times, who is the other person in the "Python and Sicko" vid that was uploaded in December?

In that video, you see LM petting the python whilst being filmed by someone else. The camera is then given to LM and this person can be seen petting the python (you only see their body and arm/hand). LM is wearing the same clothes and santa hat that can be seen in the kitten killing vid, and in the same room too.

Now my question is this, if that person had nothing to do with the kitten killing vid, then why haven't they come forward and said "that person is Luka Magnotta"? Surely they would know since the case is now worldwide news.

Maybe they were selling him the python? or buying the python from him or something like that? And have nothing to do with the kill vid. But if that's the case why haven't they come forward to LE or the media? Maybe that person WAS present in the kitten killing vid....

I'm suspicious too.

The South West Detention Centre being built outside of Windsor is more of a jail (i.e pre-detention holding and sentences of 2 years-less-a-day) :seeya:

It's says that it is going to be a maximum security super jail. I don't see anywhere it says that it will only house offenders with sentences less than 2 years. I know there was a rumor going around, but I never saw it confirmed.
Why would it be max security if only pre-detention holding and short sentences that would be for more petty crimes?

It's says that it is going to be a maximum security super jail. I don't see anywhere it says that it will only house offenders with sentences less than 2 years. I know there was a rumor going around, but I never saw it confirmed.
Why would it be max security if only pre-detention holding and short sentences that would be for more petty crimes?
Jails and detention centres (provincial) versus prison (federal). It's a Canadian distinction.

*SOMETIMES* (usually only due to overcrowding in a prison) they'll put a federal prisoner into a provincial facility that has a maximum security cell.

For the Windsor South West Detention Centre:

http://www.mcscs.jus.gov.on.ca/engl...outhWestDetentionCentre/swdc_welcome_pub.html

Provincial detention centres serve as the point of entry into the institutional system and hold:

persons on remand (awaiting trial, sentencing or other proceedings);
offenders sentenced to short terms (approximately 60 days or less); and
offenders awaiting transfer to a federal or provincial correctional facility.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/768681/preferred-proponent-selected-for-south-west-detention-centre

apparently he was in Toronto when he claimed to be in Miami (as per the dating site website admin. who traced his ISP) and the Lotus car pic was photoshopped - he pasted his head onto someone else's photo ...

I am starting to wonder how many times he boasted about being in a certain location abroad and he was in Canada all the time. I still believe the animal killings took place in Toronto or Montreal. If I recall he was renting another location in Montreal before 2012. He lived in Ottawa on Laurier in 2006 for awhile. I don't think he is the world traveller he says he is. It may also look like he s terrified of flying and gets sick.

Personally, I don't feel at all sorry for Labatt's ever since they plagiarized the name "Blue" from Molson in the 1960s. ("Blue" was what the public called Molson Stock Ale, but Molson failed to trademark it, so Labatt's grabbed it for their Pilsener. )

interesting bit of info

just to be clear, I don't feel bad for them either - kinda difficult to feel anything for a corporation

I never liked that beer anyway ...

There is only one missing body part, and that is the head. Police have been clear about that.

Pardon me

Then it is shocking to me and troubling that the victim had not been completely returned to his family

I knew I wasnt dreaming that!

"CTV reported late Wednesday night that the package with the severed foot had a note inside it indicating that the suspect was planning to kill again. The note reportedly also said that a total of six body parts had been sent in the mail."

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Suspect%20Luka%20Rocco%20Magnotta%20in%20Montreal%20torso%20case%20dated%20sex-killer%20Karla%20Homolka/6701005/story.html

Recently, the police said that only the head is still missing.
So I wonder: If the article in the Vancouver Sun telly the truth - why did LM write about six body parts? Did he change his mind about it? Or did he indeed send 6 parts out - and the police are only being silent about it, in respect of the victim perhaps?

I am starting to wonder how many times he boasted about being in a certain location abroad and he was in Canada all the time. I still believe the animal killings took place in Toronto or Montreal. If I recall he was renting another location in Montreal before 2012. He lived in Ottawa on Laurier in 2006 for awhile. I don't think he is the world traveller he says he is. It may also look like he s terrified of flying and gets sick.
This is the first I've heard of him living in Ottawa on Laurier. Just curious - where did you get that from?:waitasec:

You may be confusing it with the Conservative Party Headquarters being on Laurier Ave in Ottawa (where the foot was sent to)

I knew I wasnt dreaming that!

"CTV reported late Wednesday night that the package with the severed foot had a note inside it indicating that the suspect was planning to kill again. The note reportedly also said that a total of six body parts had been sent in the mail."

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Suspect%20Luka%20Rocco%20Magnotta%20in%20Montreal%20torso%20case%20dated%20sex-killer%20Karla%20Homolka/6701005/story.html

Recently, the police said that only the head is still missing.
So I wonder: If the article in the Vancouver Sun telly the truth - why did LM write about six body parts? Did he change his mind about it? Or did he indeed send 6 parts out - and the police are only being silent about it, in respect of the victim perhaps?

1. "reportedly"
2. It's the Sun ;)

There's only one part missing: the head.

You are probably right. It was dark, that was all I could tell for sure. Do you know of any pictures of the shower curtain you are referring to that exist? I would love to compare if you do. Thanks..I hadn't been able to identify what color it really was but purple seems right.

no photos that I know of

all I have is a link that states it:

Kelly pointed to a crumpled heap against a wall, which included a pink bed sheet soaked with what appeared to be a huge blood stain. It was lying beside a purple, blood-streaked shower curtain.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...parts-suspect-luka-rocco-magnotta-s-apartment

ITA

he exaggerated his travel portfolio for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members