Deceased/Not Found Australia - Cheryl Grimmer, 3, Fairy Meadow Beach, NSW, 12 Jan 1970

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/635391/cheryl-grimmer-dead-inquest-finds/

Police interviewed a suspect in 1971 and he confessed but they let him go. Could it be this guy?
Is it the same guy mentioned here ...

"As a teenager he was interviewed by police but charges were never laid."

http://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...d/news-story/eb0c5089c524256712d11dc1d702f669

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if he's the same teenager that was seen carrying a child wrapped in a towel? If he was the one the police interviewed, he was released because of inconsistencies in his story. Why do they believe him now?

From your link, some interesting info -

He (Det Insp Ainsworth) said it’s believed Cheryl was taken from the front of the surf club, not the back as originally thought, and that her death occurred within an hour or so after that.

The accused man, who now uses a different name from when he was a teenager, went voluntarily to be interviewed by detectives at Frankston Police station on Wednesday, Det Insp Ainsworth said.

BBM

He was taken to Wollongong and formally charged with murder on Thursday night, and will face court for the horrific crimes on Friday morning. His name and identity has been suppressed because he was a juvenile at the time.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-murdering-Cheryl-Grimmer.html#ixzz4cECjCMdc
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Thank you. Well that makes me angry... he should face the music and not be protected like that, he's not a minor now!

Grr name suppression! If he is granted name suppression now due to being a minor at the time does that mean he will be tried as a minor? So sad for Cheryl and her family. My heart breaks for her brother who has carried this guilt all his life.

He is a fully grown MAN, name suppression is absurd.

I'm very curious as to how they know the cause of death.

My heart hurts for Cheryl & her family.

Grr name suppression! If he is granted name suppression now due to being a minor at the time does that mean he will be tried as a minor? So sad for Cheryl and her family. My heart breaks for her brother who has carried this guilt all his life.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...accused-to-face-court-as-an-adult-police-say/

The man charged with Fairy Meadow toddler Cheryl Grimmer’s murder may have been a boy of 16 at the time of his alleged offence, but senior Wollongong police say he will face court as an adult.

Now 63, the man lived with his alleged offence for 47 years before being arrested in Frankson, in South Melbourne, this week.

With the man to face court on Friday, Wollongong crime manager Detective Inspector Brad Ainsworth along with other senior local police said the man would be “dealt with as an adult”.

“The law is that if they’re under 21 for an offence they commit as a juvenile they can in certain circumstances go before the children’s court, but obviously he is well over 21,” Det Insp Ainsworth said.

The man’s name is not able to be published due to a suppression order put in place in the Frankston Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The order has been made on the grounds that publication of the man’s name would risk prejudicing court proceedings.

BBM

He is a fully grown MAN, name suppression is absurd.

I'm very curious as to how they know the cause of death.

My heart hurts for Cheryl & her family.

The only way they could know the cause of death or the nature of the injuries is if he told someone. The media reports suggest he spoke to one or more people at Mt Penang about the murder 18 months afterwards. He was then spoken to by police, who didn't charge him. And he spent a long time with detectives this week, was charged, and now requires urgent psychiatric attention.

It sounds as though he may have confessed all of it this week.

The man’s name is not able to be published due to a suppression order put in place in the Frankston Magistrates Court on Wednesday.

The order has been made on the grounds that publication of the man’s name would risk prejudicing court proceedings.

BBM

Hope he's done nothing else in the meantime eh?

Well, I still don't get it. Publication of his name could risk prejudicing court proceedings??

Why can't they publish his name and let sub judice take care of the rest? Sub judice is meant to take care of any potential prejudicing of the judge, magistrate or jury.

I wonder why he has changed his name ... from what it was when he was a teenager. Name changes are commonly done by convicted pedophiles, and sometimes by other crims (and other people, of course, for their own personal reasons).

The only way they could know the cause of death or the nature of the injuries is if he told someone. The media reports suggest he spoke to one or more people at Mt Penang about the murder 18 months afterwards. He was then spoken to by police, who didn't charge him. And he spent a long time with detectives this week, was charged, and now requires urgent psychiatric attention.

It sounds as though he may have confessed all of it this week.

Needs psychiatric attention.... good grief. More like needs the death penalty.

I read somewhere that he did it but then he believed his own story (guffaw) that he didn't.

I'll try and find the link.

Creepy as - lots of unsolved murders in the Frankston area too.

Psychological equivalent of a fruit cake IMO. How do you murder a child and then forget you did it. Oh wait - murder a child and then confess to it and THEN forget you did it.

Maybe because the police didn't believe him he started to believe that he didn't do it. Possibly the police just thought he was attention seeking. Was he an inmate at Penang ? I thought they were locked down. How does he get out to murder a child?

Psychological equivalent of a fruit cake IMO. How do you murder a child and then forget you did it. Oh wait - murder a child and then confess to it and THEN forget you did it.

Maybe because the police didn't believe him he started to believe that he didn't do it. Possibly the police just thought he was attention seeking. Was he an inmate at Penang ? I thought they were locked down. How does he get out to murder a child?

God forbid, maybe Mt Penang ran a holiday scheme.

Aw Dang it comes up as subscription only.

If you google the words contained in the quote article should come up for you

Holy cow! They have placed a 5-year suppression on his name!! 5 years! What the heck is that about??

Also, he is currently a security guard.

As well, it sounds as if they have other evidence. Perhaps sign-in/sign-out records from the boys home for time to spend at the beach, perhaps medical records from the boys home showing scratching or injury on him when he returned (though I imagine a little 3-year old would be a very easy target), perhaps other records showing a proclivity of abuse toward young members of the boys home. As well as a person(s) he told his story to. Someone who has never forgotten it.

The court placed a five-year suppression on the man’s name and his identity may never be known because he was a juvenile at the time.

The man, a security guard who has a grown-up family, is said to be stunned he has been arrested and charged with a crime he is alleged to have carried out nearly five decades ago.

The case was reopened two years ago and three detectives — Sergeant Damien Loone, Constable Frank Sanvitale and Constable Craig Barrass — allegedly uncovered enough evidence to have the man charged.

http://www.ntnews.com.au/news/natio...s/news-story/2e4ad43ba0e25346fb084ec84d4f6ae6

“He believed his own story in the end,” a Victorian source involved in the case said.
. . .
Despite telling police details about the alleged crime, he was never charged.

(From the Herald-Sun article linked above.)

Believed his own story that he did it or that he didn't?

“He believed his own story in the end,” a Victorian source involved in the case said.
. . .
Despite telling police details about the alleged crime, he was never charged.

(From the Herald-Sun article linked above.)

Believed his own story that he did it or that he didn't?

Good point. He didn't say he didn't do it ... he said he did do it.

So what did they think? A troubled boy looking for attention? Or were they trying to 'protect' the boys home from scandal. As they did with so many institutions back then, when child abuse was reported and dismissed. :shakehead:

If you google the words contained in the quote article should come up for you

That worked, thank you :)
She was so stinking cute!

Did the boys home let these troubled kids out for excursions on their own? Or did they go under supervision, or in groups?

Or did he 'escape' for a while, then returned under his own volition ... or was found?
Maybe there is some record of that.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pigg7457
Back